PDA

View Full Version : LOI fans in your community/school/friends/parents etc.

irishultra
20/07/2009, 4:54 PM
Hey just want to see if you know much people who are fans of clubs in ireland, or even have an interest in the league(barstooling interest btw ;))?

i read a really good post on boards.ie from a bohs supporter saying how it be great to go into work on a monday and have a bit of a banter over the weekend action. really was a top post.(if hes on here he might remember :))

for me i'm lucky(but at the same time its a curse) in that a lot of people in my class are loi fans, the only problem is the majority are shamrock rovers brats.:rolleyes:

as well as shamrock rovers, we have the bray fans(dear oh dear what a pathetic shower they are) i really don't know which fans i hate more shamrock rovers or bray.

in fact even the people who don't support any club would still be able on a tuesday morning laugh at roddy collins views from the night before.

so this is good and creates a vibrant loi atmosphere outside of games but i reckon it won't be the same in college and later in the workpace.

Rovers1
20/07/2009, 4:57 PM
My friend Sligoman, he supports Sligo Rovers.

centre mid
20/07/2009, 5:01 PM
for me i'm lucky(but at the same time its a curse) in that a lot of people in my class are loi fans, the only problem is the majority are shamrock rovers brats.:rolleyes:

Why would someone with a Finn Harps avatar be worried about Shamrock Rovers fans?

konstruktor
20/07/2009, 5:02 PM
My first post so please be gentle.

I`m polish and live in Bray and I absolutely hate the fact that in work ( factory with 400 people) I don`t know a person who I could talk about LoI. it`s really depressing sometimes. And I`m not suprised that so many of you ( LoI fans) are so dismayed with the attitude towards your own league. Fair enough in Poland one can easily find fans of all major clubs in major leagues but more often than not they will be fans of the local team and have favorite team abroad, not other way around.

irishultra
20/07/2009, 5:05 PM
lol i really should change that(keep saying i support finn harps and bohs-i even had a thread about it) :shiftseyes:

Umberside
20/07/2009, 6:10 PM
I had a long conversation with a barstooler last week and asked him if he supported Cork City. He answered no and I asked him why didn't and he replied "because they're sh1t". He said they were sh1t because they'd no fans, which is funny because he lives ten minutes away from the Cross and has never gone to a game in his life.

I know a good few people who support City in West Cork and even Kerry and my cousin's family are all City fans. In the workplace City get good recognition though. They're proud of them and wish them all the best but they've never had any notion to go to a match at Turners Cross.

In Cork there's a lot of people who like Cork City and are proud of their achievements i.e. Europe, Setanta Cup and league successes, but just don't have enough interest to go to a match.

brianw82
20/07/2009, 6:30 PM
I've heard a few of the lads here at work talk about LOI the odd time, and it's never been anything disrespectful. Things like, "Jaysus, did you hear what happened Shelbourne last night?" after the last game of last season, and "D'ya think you'll head to any games this year?" etc.

Sam_Heggy
20/07/2009, 6:33 PM
lol i really should change that(keep saying i support finn harps and bohs-i even had a thread about it) :shiftseyes:

Harps fans get on great with Rovers fans so you have a severe clash of opinions right there for a start.

Mr.A is the biggest barstooler I know, he even moved to Galway to avoid going to Harps games.

blueblood
20/07/2009, 6:57 PM
Plenty of people in Limerick seem to be interisted in LOI and always ask "How did ye get on the weekend" but dont bother to attend one match. Also they all remember the Markets Field and how great that was all the time:rolleyes: and EVERYONE knows we shouldn't have moved grounds and they all know how to fix the club "Ye need more money" :D

Magicme
20/07/2009, 9:44 PM
Everyone in my work are fans of Monaghan United! :D

My family (other than my sons) dont really care about United. My closest friends come to some of our games (Mysticmon for example!) and my friends who have no interest rarely see me as it is the love of my life.

I havent even been near a guy who isnt a LOI fan in years coz if they are not into it I know there is no point as they wont understand my life.

irishultra
20/07/2009, 9:50 PM

I`m polish and live in Bray and I absolutely hate the fact that in work ( factory with 400 people) I don`t know a person who I could talk about LoI. it`s really depressing sometimes. And I`m not suprised that so many of you ( LoI fans) are so dismayed with the attitude towards your own league. Fair enough in Poland one can easily find fans of all major clubs in major leagues but more often than not they will be fans of the local team and have favorite team abroad, not other way around.

Hi man :)

exactly.

peadar1987
20/07/2009, 10:08 PM
Myself and my Dad are both Bray fans, and I have a mate from Balbriggan I'm slowly bringing round! Other than that I don't really know anyone. A lad from my year who supports Barcelona once told me "I don't know how you do it, watching Bray every week", I responded "I don't know how you do it, live football on every week and you not going to see it". He thought I was joking!

thischarmingman
20/07/2009, 10:18 PM

Welcome to the forum :)

tiktok
20/07/2009, 10:31 PM
At this stage I've been around it so long everyone I know is either an LoI supporter or e.g. at work they keep an eye out for scores etc., as they know I'm going to talk about it anyway.

Don't have any shortage of people willing to chat about City, having said that, I've never worked with any supporter of a different LoI team, though while living in Dublin I got to know a few good Shels lads.

irishultra
20/07/2009, 10:36 PM
Harps fans get on great with Rovers fans so you have a severe clash of opinions right there for a start.

Mr.A is the biggest barstooler I know, he even moved to Galway to avoid going to Harps games.

its not my fault :(

i like finn harps the team because my dad is a fan but the longest i ever lived in donegal was 1 year. i know in a two tier league its weird having 2 teams but i think i have a justified reason.

Umberside
20/07/2009, 10:37 PM
its not my fault :(

i like finn harps the team because my dad is a fan but the longest i ever lived in donegal was 1 year. i know in a two tier league its weird having 2 teams but i think i have a justified reason.

Have you been to many Harps matches?

irishultra
20/07/2009, 10:42 PM
whenever i go to my grandparents house, but it wouldn't be very often. i'm not saying i'm a supporter in the true sense of the word, but i just like following the family legacy.(i'll change my sig now to avoid any confusion)

BohDiddley
21/07/2009, 11:45 AM
whenever i go to my grandparents house, but it wouldn't be very often. i'm not saying i'm a supporter in the true sense of the word, but i just like following the family legacy.(i'll change my sig now to avoid any confusion)
That's better. :D

Duggie
21/07/2009, 11:49 AM
none of my friends would know a thing about eircom league. work with 1 guy that goes to games but thats it.

thischarmingman
21/07/2009, 11:52 AM
My work can be good craic sometimes because there's a handful of us LOI fans around and our interest in it means other people would look out for results too. We have a Bohs fan, a Drogs fan, myself and a (until recently) a Shels player so there was always plenty of chat at the weekend about it.

Dunny
21/07/2009, 5:42 PM
none of my friends would know a thing about eircom league. work with 1 guy that goes to games but thats it.

That's because there's no such thing..;)

CarrickFan
22/07/2009, 11:39 AM
One of my best mates is a Longford Town fan and theres maybe 2 or 3 other proper Rovers fans in town who you can have banter with...all other mates would be Liverpool,Man,Arsenal fans etc or worse still GAA fans who would slate the LOI as "sh!te" without ever having been at a game(judging by the the standard of GAA around here they would know the definition of SH!TE!!:))...also im involved in our local Junior club and underage soccer teams and it's interesting to note most of the people involved in the club are the LOI fans from around and not the lads who spend August to May roaring at Gerrard,Rooney and the likes on the TV.

micls
22/07/2009, 12:39 PM
I've managed to indoctrinate all my clas, so much so that now when they talk about who the 'best team is' they say 'Liverpool?) then glance to me and add 'And cork city' :D
We have a scarf over the blackboard and raffles for tickets etc.

The other teachers are well up to date on City matters at this stage as they know it will determine my mood. Unfortunately its usually 'Are ye really going bust....again' etc. Got one SNA hooked and she's now a ST holder.

Family wise, got my sister hooked and the rest always ask after City.

passinginterest
22/07/2009, 1:20 PM
The lads in work take an interest, then again one of them played League of Ireland and one of the others Dad's did, I think I'm the only one in my current area that goes to games regularly though. In my old building there was regular Bohs, Rovers and Pat's fans (well one of each anyway!). People definitely seem to be taking more of an interest recently, or maybe it's just the fact that I keep brining it into conversation.

brendy_éire
22/07/2009, 2:04 PM
In my team in work, out of the ones who like football, there's me, a Glenavon and a Linfield fan. There's also one who plays for Bangor.
There's always plenty of banter between us, and generally within in the office (most of them are aware that I'm a Derry fan).

Out of my circle of friends, well the fellas anyway, almost all of them are fans of an Irish club. The ones who aren't constantly get dragged along to them too.

sheao
22/07/2009, 9:54 PM
I was the only supporter of Cork City in my family,my father would take to games but he was'nt very interested. Last season my uncle and 2 cousins came along with me to sample a game a turners cross. They were massively interested straight away and have come to nearly all the home games over the last 2 seasons. I would suggest to everybody to drag along a family member,relitive or friend to a game. You would be suprised how interested they will be. In my school there are a few a City fans who go every home game and some away games but there very few of these people. Also some to the odd game and mainly just check the scores in the City gams but sadly most people in my school would be Premiership or GAA supporters for life.

saintmaniac
22/07/2009, 9:57 PM
When I was in school, there was a Rovers fan and a Shels fan in my year, and a mouthy Bohs fan two years below us (he happens to post here, so I'll shut up ;) ). It wasn't a footballing school at all, which was weird.

College was a wilderness in comparison. About half a million Derry fans (slight exaggeration), but no other club represented bar one Dundalk fan and one Bohs fan in my class who dropped out after the first year. I met a Pats fan in my final year as well, but hardly ever saw him around.

In my current job, there's a lapsed Shels fan, who claims she will go back to games when they get promoted, and two Rovers fans - one who's a season ticket holder in Tallaght, and one who hasn't been since Milltown but still labels himself as such. The only benefit to this is the Tallaght season ticket holder is my boss, so he gave me unlimited licence to book time off for Malta. Then I couldn't afford it, so that backfired on me...

I find in my job a good few people will ask me about Pats, but very few would actually venture to a game. I'm not sure if it's that they feel that by asking me questions, they are doing their civic duty, or if they just run out of things to say to me.

I also find that when people hear I support Pats, their usual response is "Oh, my uncle was on the board of Cork City/ my dad used to go to Shels games", etc., as if I will be personally moved by the detail.... I mean, that's very nice, but how are you meant to react to such information? If I supported Cork or Shels, it might mean something.

stann
22/07/2009, 11:23 PM
Like that, I get loads of well meaning interest from family, friends and work (and a lot of contributions to the fundraising stuff too, in fairness), but very few of them are supporters. One chap at work is a regular (and some-time poster on here), two others go to the very odd Blues match, that's out of 20-odd of us.

Friends-wise, very few would be league fans, though most are football fans. One of my oldest friends used to go to games regularly, and when his kids are a bit older I think he could be tempted back, and another friend is a very active fan, and gets to far more games than me. More recently, have made one or two good friends through the LoI. Well.

Most of the family live elsewhere, in areas without league teams. I did manage to talk the father into coming into a game once, years ago, but sadly it coincided with the dullest match I've ever seen. He hasn't been back. :D

thischarmingman
22/07/2009, 11:26 PM
I find in my job a good few people will ask me about Pats, but very few would actually venture to a game. I'm not sure if it's that they feel that by asking me questions, they are doing their civic duty, or if they just run out of things to say to me.

I also find that when people hear I support Pats, their usual response is "Oh, my uncle was on the board of Cork City/ my dad used to go to Shels games", etc., as if I will be personally moved by the detail.... I mean, that's very nice, but how are you meant to react to such information? If I supported Cork or Shels, it might mean something.

My experience exactly. :)

Darkglasses
23/07/2009, 12:29 AM
My dad got me interested in LOI, so obviously he's a fan too. I occasionally manage to convince a friend to come along to a Youths game, unfortunately thats it!

RoversHead
23/07/2009, 12:49 AM
Grandfather played for shels but like the rest of us supported the hoops ,there is a Bohs fan in the family tree and me aul lad assures me he is still hanging there.