PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Rovers V Real Madrid

Pages : [1] 2

tricky_colour
20/07/2009, 4:54 PM
Any players to look out for who may have international prospects???

Should be a good laugh anyway, hope I can find a stream or something :D

Scram
20/07/2009, 4:58 PM
Any players to look out for who may have international prospects???

Should be a good laugh anyway, hope I can find a stream or something :D

Christiano Ring might have prospects with Faughs.

SkStu
20/07/2009, 5:23 PM
Gary Twigg ;)

not actually surprised that this has its own thread in this forum - glitzy, glamour, flashing lights and superstars - WOOOOO!!!

eirebhoy
20/07/2009, 6:39 PM
not actually surprised that this has its own thread in this forum - glitzy, glamour, flashing lights and superstars - WOOOOO!!!
It seems lots of people on here will find any reason to slag us off on this forum. How in the name of jaysus did you come up with that one? ffs the most recent transfer news in the sticky thread is about a player moving on loan from Nottm Forest to Burton Albion. Oh the flashing lights and glamour... transfers from Sligo to Bohs usually aren't discussed on here because they're discussed in the LOI forum. And we're actually free to post on different forums of foot.ie (reading the LOI sometimes you'd think they were all banned from posting here and vice versa).

I don't really see the point of this thread in this forum when people should be watching Bohs on Wednesday night if they want to see potential international players in a competitive match. But I'll leave it open for a little bit after my rant and since the match is available for the many Irish people living in Britain.

SkStu
20/07/2009, 6:47 PM
It seems lots of people on here will find any reason to slag us off on this forum. How in the name of jaysus did you come up with that one? ffs the most recent transfer news in the sticky thread is about a player moving on loan from Nottm Forest to Burton Albion. Oh the flashing lights and glamour... transfers from Sligo to Bohs usually aren't discussed on here because they're discussed in the LOI forum. And we're actually free to post on different forums of foot.ie (reading the LOI sometimes you'd think they were all banned from posting here and vice versa).

I don't really see the point of this thread in this forum when people should be watching Bohs on Wednesday night if they want to see potential international players in a competitive match. But I'll leave it open for a little bit after my rant and since the match is available for the many Irish people living in Britain.

ah come on, my post wasnt meant to be taken altogether too seriously.

and i agree with the bolded part, hence my post.

Razors left peg
20/07/2009, 7:19 PM
Can someone please tell me why the hell people are booing Ronaldo.I honestly cant believe the mentality of some people at times. The game is hyped up to the last and the stadium gets sold out, so its a chance for Rovers to hopefully put in a bit of a decent performance and raise the profile of the League of Ireland a little bit.... so why the hell are people going to the game just to boo a player??? It became fashonable in England to boo him after he got Rooney sent off when playing against England, what the hell has that got to do with Irish fans?

tricky_colour
20/07/2009, 7:52 PM
0:0 at half time, Real look pretty ordinary.:D

eirebhoy
20/07/2009, 7:56 PM

Fair enough, just does my head in with people on internet forums slagging Ireland supporters off.

Maguire playing well anyway. Great tackle on Raul.

irishfan86
20/07/2009, 7:58 PM
why the hell are people going to the game just to boo a player??? It became fashonable in England to boo him after he got Rooney sent off when playing against England, what the hell has that got to do with Irish fans?

Wouldn't be surprised if the people booing are disgruntled Man United fans (agree it's pretty embarrassing).

centre mid
20/07/2009, 7:58 PM
what the hell has that got to do with Irish fans?

he got Sives booked tonight?:D

eirebhoy
20/07/2009, 8:09 PM
Ronaldo just gets booed for being Ronaldo tbh.

tricky_colour
20/07/2009, 8:57 PM
1:0 to Real in the end, Shamrock got caught out pushing forward, you could see the goal coming a mile off, very similar to a couple of the goals Ireland have conceded recently.
Pretty unlucky really, they deserved a draw.

ofjames
20/07/2009, 9:06 PM
all desie bakers fault. fluffed two great chances then gave the ball away to heinze cheaply for the goal

thats what you get for wearing fancy different coloured florescent boots

DeLorean
20/07/2009, 9:09 PM
Can someone please tell me why the hell people are booing Ronaldo.I honestly cant believe the mentality of some people at times. The game is hyped up to the last and the stadium gets sold out, so its a chance for Rovers to hopefully put in a bit of a decent performance and raise the profile of the League of Ireland a little bit.... so why the hell are people going to the game just to boo a player??? It became fashonable in England to boo him after he got Rooney sent off when playing against England, what the hell has that got to do with Irish fans?

I think some Rovers fans aspire to be English Football hooligans, except for the English bit probably.

irishfan86
20/07/2009, 9:15 PM
I think some Rovers fans aspire to be English Football hooligans, except for the English bit probably.

To be fair, they use the term "Ultra's" to describe themselves, so they probably look to Italy for guidance.

irishultra
20/07/2009, 9:44 PM
Ah Ronaldo was booed last year in Switzerland/Austria. He looks like someone everyone loves to hate. I hardly ever watch Manchester United in CL but I reckon he got booed in most away grounds too.

CarrickFan
20/07/2009, 9:46 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if the people booing are disgruntled Man United fans (agree it's pretty embarrassing).

spot on i'd say...first time in a league of Ireland ground for most of them i'd say....if i was there i'd have much preferred to boo Dessie Baker the annoying little b*ll*x!!:)

passinginterest
20/07/2009, 10:00 PM
In fairness a good majority of the crowd seemed to be at least semi league of Ireland fans, Ronaldo got booed because he's Ronaldo, it was a good atmosphere and hopefully it opened a few eyes to the potential of the League of Ireland.

Crosby87
20/07/2009, 10:19 PM
Madrid was lucky Ger Crossley didnt suit up or it would have been on like ping pong.

paul_oshea
21/07/2009, 9:11 AM
Gary Twigg ;)

will yerself and sheridan give it a rest.....:rolleyes:

I hope the irony isn't lost - on you anyway.

drummerboy
21/07/2009, 9:14 AM
Think Rovers done the LOI a world of good. I'm sure they will have convinced a few extra fans to venture out to their local club. The standard of football is this league is very decent. What has always lacked is the financial backing, athmosphere and facilities.

paul_oshea
21/07/2009, 9:17 AM
Madrid was lucky Ger Crossley didnt suit up or it would have been on like ping pong.

I was playing ping pong in ying yang....

sheao
21/07/2009, 9:27 AM
I think Rovers were a credit to the league last night. They played so well against Madrid for most of the game.

Duggie
21/07/2009, 9:34 AM
the league can be proud of rovers tonight, baker had 2 great chances. great chances. the 2nd one i think he must have saw the headlines and fluffed it:eek: maybe twiggy might have stuck them away. cool finish from benzima in fairness. well done all involved.

OwlsFan
21/07/2009, 9:56 AM
I was amused by the Sky commentator who had done his homework. He had been to the Sligo game to get a handle on the players and then started calling Bohemians, Bohs - so he had heard that one as well. Sky also did a good background piece on Rovers and the Milltown saga etc.

Frank Stapleton was the expert in the studio. Despite being a northsider, he used to travel across the city to see Rovers. Glory hunter ;)

pineapple stu
21/07/2009, 9:59 AM
Sky also did a good background piece on Rovers and the Milltown saga etc.
That was the Rovers history piece that started "Shamrock were founded in 1901, under British rule"?

irishultra
21/07/2009, 10:06 AM
It was great when Stapleton said he supported Rovers in a way, first time I ever heard an Irish player say they supported an actual Irish team.

pixiehead
21/07/2009, 10:46 AM
Well done to rovers. Great nite for LOI

Tallanted
21/07/2009, 11:22 AM
Fair play to Rovers absolutly amazing night and there was a buzz around Tallaght from early morning, I was present in my town jersey(wrong choice of colours to wear to a rovers game) but it was takin in good spirit, you wear your colours with pride. Hopefully Bohs can do the business tomorrow night now and the League can keep progressing on the field.

belfastred
21/07/2009, 11:23 AM
I thoguht Rovers were excellent last night and played some very tidy football.

Hopefully it will persuade some of the 11,000 to return to a LOI game.

amaccann
21/07/2009, 11:27 AM
According to the papers, his lordship mr. Cowen was in attendance? Wasn't aware he was such an avid supporter of the league :rolleyes:

Ash
21/07/2009, 11:32 AM
I wonder will BC grace Leah Victoria Park with his presence for any of Tullamore Towns A-Championship games, or maybe he's gonna stay local and keep an eye on Clara Towns progress in the CCFL

sonofstan
21/07/2009, 11:33 AM
According to the papers, his lordship mr. Cowen was in attendance? Wasn't aware he was such an avid supporter of the league :rolleyes:

What had this to do with the league?

CMcC
21/07/2009, 11:38 AM

Hummmm, why would football supporters boo an opponents best player?

Ezeikial
21/07/2009, 11:39 AM
Hummmm, why would football supporters boo an opponents best player?

Because........he is the opponents best player:)

amaccann
21/07/2009, 12:09 PM
As much as the match itself considering it was a friendly ;) I just find it passing strange the Taoiseach chose to attend this match

Blue Man
21/07/2009, 12:24 PM
That was the Rovers history piece that started "Shamrock were founded in 1901, under British rule"?

I heard that as well so i rewound it on Sky+ and it said something like "Shamrock Rovers were founded in 1901, under the influence of British rule". Think it was implying that they were formed while the country was under British rule.

Great occasion for all involved and the league too. It raises the profile of our players in this league. As said, the commentators had been to the Sligo game and had the knowledge of the players involved. Hopefully now with Bohs, Pats and Derry getting positive results in Europe, the League will progress further because I for one am tired of the bad press the League gets

christo
21/07/2009, 12:29 PM
Think Rovers done the LOI a world of good. I'm sure they will have convinced a few extra fans to venture out to their local club. The standard of football is this league is very decent. What has always lacked is the financial backing, athmosphere and facilities.

It was a good game, have to congratulate Rovers on how well they did, but also a big hand has to go Sky Sports who in one game must've done good for the LOI which is more than what can be said for RTE in the past.

Scram
21/07/2009, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaccann
According to the papers, his lordship mr. Cowen was in attendance? Wasn't aware he was such an avid supporter of the league

I think he was being sarcastic.

Sickening to see these scum politicians jumping on "bandwagons" but when it comes down to it they do not support anything at the "normal" level. Just like how they latched on to the Olympic boxers. Vomit inducing.

pineapple stu
21/07/2009, 12:34 PM
Think it was implying that they were formed while the country was under British rule.
Yeah, that's the meaning I took as well, but of course it's completely irrelevant to the club.

Magicme
21/07/2009, 12:41 PM
And futher enhances the already strong "garrison game" and "foreign sport" mentality that so many like to beat us with.

Schumi
21/07/2009, 12:46 PM
And futher enhances the already strong "garrison game" and "foreign sport" mentality that so many like to beat us with.

Sure the gaa was formed under British rule too!

marinobohs
21/07/2009, 1:03 PM

the previous incomberent Bertie (man of the people) Ahern showed up at the Bohs/Sunderland friendly a year or two back - supporting Sunderland.Gave out stink afterwards about Bohs fans booing Keane (then Slumberland manager).

No level too low for these people to sink to. And bertie our "football loving Taoiseach" as well:confused:

dong
21/07/2009, 1:09 PM
I noticed a "WE ARE ROVERS" sign/poster up on the wall in the tunnell as the players went out.
I hope they didn't use sellotape to put that up. Landlords hate sellotape. Takes the paint off the walls.:D

Rovers1
21/07/2009, 1:11 PM
This RM V Shams game sure has seen the level of bitterness towards anti-non-LoI fans rise.

I Like it!:D

Magicme
21/07/2009, 1:13 PM
True Schumi but they were rebelling against the imperial rule so that is ok dontcha know.

SkStu
21/07/2009, 3:01 PM
This RM V Shams game sure has seen the level of bitterness towards anti-non-LoI fans rise.

I Like it!:D

damn, i cant work out complicated double negatives like that. :(

SkStu
21/07/2009, 3:02 PM
will yerself and sheridan give it a rest.....:rolleyes:

I hope the irony isn't lost - on you anyway.

as i said to Eirebhoy

wind your neck in young man.

paul_oshea
21/07/2009, 3:13 PM
as i said to Eirebhoy

wind your neck in young man.

Old man it was posted in reference to a post on another thread hence the "hope the irony isn't lost on you" bit....;)

SkStu
21/07/2009, 3:27 PM
oh, dont worry kid, i remember the other post. I hate ironing. ;)