PDA

View Full Version : Predictions this season?

Graemerz
19/07/2009, 11:58 PM
Ballymena United - Should certainly be more settled this year. If Andy Smith gets going he could prove vital for the club. Kelbie will be as important to them as ever. I think defensively and in the midfield they could do with serious improvement. Key Players: Andy Smith and Kevin Kelbie. My Prediction: 7th.

Cliftonville - Expected by many to do better than last year, I'm not convinced however. The imminent departure of influential Barry Johnston could ruin their chances. I'd also be shocked if Chris Scannell can emulate last seasons goal scoring statistics. Key Players: George McMullan and Chris Scannell. My Prediction: 6th

Coleraine - I think Coleraine could be a surprise package this year. I think they may unearth a gem in Rory Patterson. Kyle McVey and Davy O'Hare will keep the defence in check while Tommins is a gifted player in the midfield. Key Players: Rory Patterson and Kyle McVey. My Prediction 4th.

Crusaders - Will continue to press the Big One and the other team. Still not sure they have the same quality at their disposal. IN saying that if they don't pick up too many injuries and aren't hit by too many suspensions could be a force. Keeping Coates is a must if they are to get anywhere this season. Ryan McCann could be a good signing. Key Players: Martin Donnelly and Colin Coates. My Prediction: 3rd

Dungannon Swifts - Swifts will once again continue to rebuild but this seasons sole aim will be to survive. They may just do that, although it may be by playoff. A suspect a very long season ahead for the new management duo in charge at Stangmore. They will be looking for Adamson to score as many as he can. Key Players: Ryan McIlmoyle and Timmy Adamson. My Prediction: 11th.

Glenavon - Although a decent side on paper last year they really flattered to deceive (apart from when they played Linfield twice in a month!) I think they'll do ok this year. Certainly will be safe from relgation. The signing of Stuart King could help them. Key Players: Stuart King and Andrew Plummer. My Prediction: 8th

Glentoran - Can they retain it? I have serious doubts. They appeared an average side last season, and with only one noteable signing in Richard Clarke I can't see him making that much of a change. Still with being average is still better than most opposition they will face in this league. I think they will be looking to Andrew Waterworth for goals. Key Players: Andrew Waterworth and Shane McCabe. My Prediction: 2nd.

Institute - Surprised many last year by challenging a top half position. I don't think they'll get anywhere near that this season. The loss of Philip Lowry to Linfield will come as a bridge too far. Key Players: David Ogilby and Paul Brown. My Prediction: 12th

Linfield - Lots of faces have come and gone at Windsor this year and a lot will depend on how the players gel and settle. The Blues boast a very formidable squad on paper but will the departure of Glenn Ferguson prove costly? If any weakness It would be on the flanks and possibly in the defence. Key Players: Michael Carvill and Curtis Allen. My Prediction: 1st.

Lisburn Distillery - The loss of manager Paul Kirk will probably be a bigger blow to them than losing star striker Curtis Allen. No doubt they will be relying on legendary Spike Ferguson for goals meanwhile Dave Rogers will be expected to keep it tight at the back. I think they will struggle. Key Players: Philip Matthews and Glenn Ferguson. My Prediction: 9th.

Newry City - Financially crippled Newry City struggled last year and with no one worthy of a mention being added to the ranks and the departure of Richard Clarke its going to be a long season for the Bordermen. Key Players: Emmet Friars and Stephen Garrett. My Prediction: 10th.

Portadown - newly promoted Portadown will basically pick up where they left off the last time they played in the top tier of local football. McFall will have his team well organised and drilled. They have some quality players although its going to take a few seasons before Portadown will become a strong force again. Key Players: Darren Kelly and Kevin Braniff. My Prediction: 5th.

EalingGreen
20/07/2009, 9:35 AM
Ballymena United - Should certainly be more settled this year. If Andy Smith gets going he could prove vital for the club. Kelbie will be as important to them as ever. I think defensively and in the midfield they could do with serious improvement. Key Players: Andy Smith and Kevin Kelbie. My Prediction: 7th.

Cliftonville - Expected by many to do better than last year, I'm not convinced however. The imminent departure of influential Barry Johnston could ruin their chances. I'd also be shocked if Chris Scannell can emulate last seasons goal scoring statistics. Key Players: George McMullan and Chris Scannell. My Prediction: 6th

Coleraine - I think Coleraine could be a surprise package this year. I think they may unearth a gem in Rory Patterson. Kyle McVey and Davy O'Hare will keep the defence in check while Tommins is a gifted player in the midfield. Key Players: Rory Patterson and Kyle McVey. My Prediction 4th.

Crusaders - Will continue to press the Big One and the other team. Still not sure they have the same quality at their disposal. IN saying that if they don't pick up too many injuries and aren't hit by too many suspensions could be a force. Keeping Coates is a must if they are to get anywhere this season. Ryan McCann could be a good signing. Key Players: Martin Donnelly and Colin Coates. My Prediction: 3rd

Dungannon Swifts - Swifts will once again continue to rebuild but this seasons sole aim will be to survive. They may just do that, although it may be by playoff. A suspect a very long season ahead for the new management duo in charge at Stangmore. They will be looking for Adamson to score as many as he can. Key Players: Ryan McIlmoyle and Timmy Adamson. My Prediction: 11th.

Glenavon - Although a decent side on paper last year they really flattered to deceive (apart from when they played Linfield twice in a month!) I think they'll do ok this year. Certainly will be safe from relgation. The signing of Stuart King could help them. Key Players: Stuart King and Andrew Plummer. My Prediction: 8th

Glentoran - Can they retain it? I have serious doubts. They appeared an average side last season, and with only one noteable signing in Richard Clarke I can't see him making that much of a change. Still with being average is still better than most opposition they will face in this league. I think they will be looking to Andrew Waterworth for goals. Key Players: Andrew Waterworth and Shane McCabe. My Prediction: 2nd.

Institute - Surprised many last year by challenging a top half position. I don't think they'll get anywhere near that this season. The loss of Philip Lowry to Linfield will come as a bridge too far. Key Players: David Ogilby and Paul Brown. My Prediction: 12th

Linfield - Lots of faces have come and gone at Windsor this year and a lot will depend on how the players gel and settle. The Blues boast a very formidable squad on paper but will the departure of Glenn Ferguson prove costly? If any weakness It would be on the flanks and possibly in the defence. Key Players: Michael Carvill and Curtis Allen. My Prediction: 1st.

Lisburn Distillery - The loss of manager Paul Kirk will probably be a bigger blow to them than losing star striker Curtis Allen. No doubt they will be relying on legendary Spike Ferguson for goals meanwhile Dave Rogers will be expected to keep it tight at the back. I think they will struggle. Key Players: Philip Matthews and Glenn Ferguson. My Prediction: 9th.

Newry City - Financially crippled Newry City struggled last year and with no one worthy of a mention being added to the ranks and the departure of Richard Clarke its going to be a long season for the Bordermen. Key Players: Emmet Friars and Stephen Garrett. My Prediction: 10th.

Portadown - newly promoted Portadown will basically pick up where they left off the last time they played in the top tier of local football. McFall will have his team well organised and drilled. They have some quality players although its going to take a few seasons before Portadown will become a strong force again. Key Players: Darren Kelly and Kevin Braniff. My Prediction: 5th.

Don't know nearly enough about individual clubs to gainsay any of that, but I could see Crues at least splitting the Big Two (assuming they keep key players), since they appear to have momentum, under a very clever manager.

As for the Big Two, I agree there must be doubts about the Champions ;), but with Big Mac having been knocked back by the IFA over the Technical Director's post, maybe he and the Glens' Board will concentrate on restoring some stability off the field at the Oval, thereby allowing them to build on last season's (narrow) success on the field?

As for LFC, you might expect them to be "stung" into going all-out this season, with Jeffrey and the Board putting everything into climbing out of the shadow of the Glens etc. Assuming so, they could be formidable next time out.
Alternatively, it may just be that DJ has been too long in the post and got stale? In such circumstances, long-established players start to coast and youngsters get frustrated etc, thereby necessitating a clear-out. Yet you can't always guarantee their replacements will be up to the job, at least in whilst they "bed-in" in the short-term.
In which latter case, for all the success he has brought them, I could see the Blues fans turning on DJ quick enough, thereby making his job even harder?
Here's hoping, anyhow...:D

Steve Bruce
21/07/2009, 12:18 PM
climbing out of the shadow of the Glens

:D :D

You are some comedian :D

Umberside
21/07/2009, 4:21 PM
Seeing as the league has only been won once in the last 11 years by a club not Glentoran or Linfield I don't see that changing.

Those two will probably have a big gap between themselves and third place.

I expect they will both be neck and neck going into the final two or three matches (and most likely the last) so it could be either of them.

AnnaghRed
24/07/2009, 5:21 PM
Crusaders for the title if they can keep Linfields hands off Baxter till seasons end.

Predator
28/07/2009, 7:34 PM
Not a big follower of the Irish League to be honest, but I try to keep an eye on County Derry side, Institute F.C. because a few lads I know play for them.

Despite losing Philip Lowry to Linfield, they have managed to keep a hold of some key players, like Strathfoyle man, David Ogilby. They have also brought in some talented players like Seán Friars and I've heard that another Strathfoyle man, Paul Lowry (cousin of Philip Lowry) has been turning a few heads with his performances during pre-season.

I think that maybe they can build on their position last year and push for a European spot to be honest.

Steve Bruce
29/07/2009, 9:23 AM
Not a big follower of the Irish League to be honest, but I try to keep an eye on County Derry side, Institute F.C. because a few lads I know play for them.

Despite losing Philip Lowry to Linfield, they have managed to keep a hold of some key players, like Strathfoyle man, David Ogilby. They have also brought in some talented players like Seán Friars and I've heard that another Strathfoyle man, Paul Lowry (cousin of Philip Lowry) has been turning a few heads with his performances during pre-season.

I think that maybe they can build on their position last year and push for a European spot to be honest.

Good attempt on getting peoples back up. County Derry:rolleyes:

Incidently, IL football isn't as good as LOI, but it's not that bad. Institute will be lucky to stay in the league. No chance of pushing for European places.

NI_CFC
29/07/2009, 9:45 AM

nice post thanks, rory has looked outstanding at should get at least 20 goals, tommons imo is the best young player in the county, since we signed the man mountain from finn harps, it doesnt appear mcvey will get many games this season, mukendi and last years poty Paddy McLaughlin will be out first choice at cb, looks like we will be keeping carson, and weve now got a fit jody tolan for the first time since we signed him, im hopeful

their is a rumor going round we are about to sign shaun holmes, which would be a great buy

i think we will get fourth and might even nick a cup, if we keep our big players fit

Predator
29/07/2009, 11:37 AM
Good attempt on getting peoples back up. County Derry:rolleyes:
Are you joking? I never attempted to get people's backs up - some people don't know Institute is a county Derry side. I call it Derry; always have and always will - perhaps your comments about my use of the word Derry say more about you than me, to be frank.

Incidently, IL football isn't as good as LOI, but it's not that bad. Institute will be lucky to stay in the league. No chance of pushing for European places.
I never suggested that Irish League football was very bad. I'm well aware that teams like Linfield and Glentoran always give a competitive showing versus League of Ireland teams in the Setanta Cup for example. Maybe you are right about Institute not pushing for a European spot but I think it's a bit strange to say they will struggle to stay in the league.

Steve Bruce
29/07/2009, 2:46 PM
Are you joking? I never attempted to get people's backs up - some people don't know Institute is a county Derry side. I call it Derry; always have and always will - perhaps your comments about my use of the word Derry say more about you than me, to be frank.

I never suggested that Irish League football was very bad. I'm well aware that teams like Linfield and Glentoran always give a competitive showing versus League of Ireland teams in the Setanta Cup for example. Maybe you are right about Institute not pushing for a European spot but I think it's a bit strange to say they will struggle to stay in the league.

I'd say 99.9% of people looking at this forum knows where Institute are from and it genuinely came across as you trying to be a WUM. You call it Derry, that's fair enough, that in itself doesn't annoy me (although I call it Londonderry). If you where genuinely not on the wind, I apologise, it just came across that way.

Moving on to the serious stuff (football). Institute are not a great side and I think will struggle emensly this season. I like Stute though so I hope you are closer to the truth than I am. But at very best your looking at stute to finish lower mid table. In my eyes, they are a candidate for relegation along with Newry etc

NI_CFC
29/07/2009, 3:27 PM
very harsh on stute, i like the way stute play, they wont be near relegation two good strikers, two good cbs and a couple of decent midfilders, plus they play as a unit, lowry was a big loss but thel get past it, id say thel finish 7/8th

Predator
29/07/2009, 7:19 PM
I'd say 99.9% of people looking at this forum knows where Institute are from and it genuinely came across as you trying to be a WUM. You call it Derry, that's fair enough, that in itself doesn't annoy me (although I call it Londonderry). If you where genuinely not on the wind, I apologise, it just came across that way.
Ha, I think 99.9% is a bit of an over-estimate, but fair enough apology accepted.

Moving on to the serious stuff (football). Institute are not a great side and I think will struggle emensly this season. I like Stute though so I hope you are closer to the truth than I am. But at very best your looking at stute to finish lower mid table. In my eyes, they are a candidate for relegation along with Newry etc
You really think so? That's mad, but maybe you're better informed than me to make that judgement, being I assume, an Irish League follower. From what I hear though, they've been playing well in pre-season (they won 2-0 last night) and with some decent new young players like Lowry (who has impressed John Gregg in recent weeks according to my sources ;)) who knows what kind of form they can expect?

Steve Bruce
09/12/2009, 8:26 AM
Ha, I think 99.9% is a bit of an over-estimate, but fair enough apology accepted.

You really think so? That's mad, but maybe you're better informed than me to make that judgement, being I assume, an Irish League follower. From what I hear though, they've been playing well in pre-season (they won 2-0 last night) and with some decent new young players like Lowry (who has impressed John Gregg in recent weeks according to my sources ;)) who knows what kind of form they can expect?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/irish_prem_tables/default.stm

Distillery is bottom, but Stute & Newry and just above them. Looks like up to now my predictions are right.

Predator
09/12/2009, 12:17 PM
Good foresight there SB. I'm genuinely surprised at Stute this season, although they've got some good results recently (the 6-2 drubbing against Dungannon excepted!). I was right about Lowry though. He's scored some vital goals for them in the little time he's played.