PDA

View Full Version : RTEngland

Pages : [1] 2 3

sonofstan
15/07/2009, 10:33 PM
Just tuned into the news on RTE 2 to see if they had footage from Salzburg - 'first to soccer' she said, and i sat back..... and some news about the bans on Chelsea players been reduced was followed by transfer news from 'Eastlands' and then Joe Stack mentioned that Bohs fans had travelled to Salzburg for tonight's qualifier...... this was the 6 O'Clock news package replayed. Afterwards the link woman mentioned the result and it came up on the screen with Salzburg misspelt. I'm emailing RTE next.

Hairy Bowsie
15/07/2009, 10:37 PM
If you listen very closely, in the distance, you'll hear the sound of RTE and me, not caring!!!

Honestly, this thing of getting our knickers in a bunch at things like this is getting ridiculous. Particularly given todays LoI related events (i'm not going into detail but you all know what i mean)

thischarmingman
15/07/2009, 10:43 PM
Honestly, this thing of getting our knickers in a bunch at things like this is getting ridiculous.

Why? Someone has to. The only Irish team in the Champions League were playing tonight. If it was Liverpool or Celtic playing a qualifying round you can bet the schedules would have been cleared. I don't think anyone expects RTE to turn around and say, "Yeah you're right, from now on we'll up our LOI coverage," but an important principle is at stake.

If God knows how much money is spent by Montrose in broadcasting the latest meaningless borefest between Liverpool and Marseille or Chelsea and Schalke then they should be able to outlay enough to cover every Irish team in action.

corkharps
15/07/2009, 10:45 PM
If you listen very closely, in the distance, you'll hear the sound of RTE and me, not caring!!!

Honestly, this thing of getting our knickers in a bunch at things like this is getting ridiculous. Particularly given todays LoI related events (i'm not going into detail but you all know what i mean)
No, I think you're wrong here. Its not good enough from RTE.

Hairy Bowsie
15/07/2009, 10:49 PM
Well, unfortunatly more people in this country care for Celtic and Liverpool etc, as much as i don't like it, it's how it is and you can't blame them for appealling to the masses.

At the end of the day, what difference does it make? It's an important principal but only to LoI fans and as i've said, until we are a majority of some sort, they won't care.

thischarmingman
15/07/2009, 10:54 PM
Well, unfortunatly more people in this country care for Celtic and Liverpool etc, as much as i don't like it, it's how it is and you can't blame them for appealling to the masses.

I can blame them actually, and I will. Appealing to the masses doesn't cut it in this case. RTE's remit is not to appeal to the masses- that's TV3's. I'm sure most people in the country don't care about the Angelus at six anymore, but that doesn't stop it being broadcast. RTE areen't supposed to only care when you become a majority.

irishultra
15/07/2009, 10:54 PM
Look RTE are just a product of the idiot masses in this country.

I really really really want to see a LOI team in Champions League proper, just to see which games they would show.

Would they actually have Eamonn Dunphy and Giles on the panel if a League of Ireland team were in the CL? I doubt it their interest/knowledge of football begins at the Welsh Boarder and stops at Calais(like the majority of football fans in this country although some diverge along the way up to Scotland)

mypost
15/07/2009, 10:57 PM
That bunch are on tele more times than PL sides. Nearly every league game they play is on some station. :rolleyes:

corkharps
15/07/2009, 11:09 PM

At the end of the day, what difference does it make? It's an important principal but only to LoI fans and as i've said, until we are a majority of some sort, they won't care.

Public service broadcaster!

Gareth
15/07/2009, 11:11 PM
Ironically there are plenty of folks I was talking to today, Non LOI supporters asking were they can see Bohs play tonight. They may not be interested in LOI weekly but they tend to seem willing to watch CL qualifiers on the box so I think RTE would get a decent viewership....

CharlesThompson
15/07/2009, 11:15 PM
Ironically there are plenty of folks I was talking to today, Non LOI supporters asking were they can see Bohs play tonight. They may not be interested in LOI weekly but they tend to seem willing to watch CL qualifiers on the box so I think RTE would get a decent viewership....

I totally agree with you. Btw I'm only on the net now because of the result tonight. That said, whether it's Bohs, Derry, Rovers, Pats, Cork as champions, these matches should be broadcat on our states tv station.

MeathDrog
15/07/2009, 11:59 PM
And why is that I wonder???:rolleyes:

Duggie
16/07/2009, 8:02 AM
it was ajoke last night, whoever put that bulletin together should be sacked. bohs get a great 1-1 draw and its way down the order after transfer news. as someone said that package was from bloody the 6 one news. unbelievable.

Mayo Red
16/07/2009, 8:05 AM
They'll probably now belatedly end up deciding to show the second leg because Bohs got such a good result, real johnny come lately stuff if they do!!:rolleyes:

EAFC_rdfl
16/07/2009, 8:07 AM
They'll probably now belatedly end up deciding to show the second leg because Bohs got such a good result, real johnny come lately stuff if they do!!:rolleyes:
dont watch it, watch the link that so many of us used last night, what odds if quality isnt great

passinginterest
16/07/2009, 8:09 AM
I happened to switch it on just after I went to bed and I commented to the girlfriend that it was terrible to have an English football story ahead of Bohs great result, then to make it worse they only showed the preview thing from the news at six. It really was appaling and I'm not generally one to get too upset by stuff like that, I mean how difficult would it have been to ask Austrian TV for the rights to show the goals?

Mayo Red
16/07/2009, 8:15 AM
I mean how difficult would it have been to ask Austrian TV for the rights to show the goals?

Budgetary constraints I'll bet, it probably would have meant that Gerry Ryan or Pat the Plank would have gone hungry for a week or something!!;):D

Duggie
16/07/2009, 8:21 AM
ok if there not going to show the goals at least have it top of the bulletin.

elroy
16/07/2009, 8:35 AM
A joke, of course I stupid assumuing that it was going to be on the tv last night and couldnt believe it that it wasnt. Its a guarantee that they will show the second leg but yet another good away result missed. They also failed to show the away leg against H Split the time Shels got through to the third round.
I would encourage as many people as possible to just drop a quick emailt to the sports dept of RTE complaining about this. FGS, they showed Liverpool in the first qualifying round a few years back when they drew some welsh side but they didnt show a team from our own country in the 2nd qualifying round.

dong
16/07/2009, 8:45 AM
I saw this as well last night. Again, RTE shafting the League of Ireland teams. I couldn't believe it when they started showing archive footage from last year. Bohs winning the league I think it was. As was said, surely they could have got the goals from somewhere to show them.
This really was a low point in RTE's coverage of League of Ireland teams. How can we expect any interest among the public if this is treatment given to our League Champions?
MNS is a decent show but when they pull stunts like this they show their true colours.

Dodge
16/07/2009, 8:46 AM
RTE are actually filming the Pats game tonight, and its on live TV in Malta

They're not showing it in ireland

pineapple stu
16/07/2009, 8:50 AM
Anyone listening to Newstalk last night? They read out a text from someone giving out that RTÉ weren't showing the match, and then proceeded to completely ignore it for the next 80 minutes, not even giving goal updates. They did carry their LoI ads during this time though. Not showing the match is one thing - it does cost money and fills time when a bigger audience could be drawn in - but not giving updates is ridiculous.

Duggie
16/07/2009, 9:17 AM
Anyone listening to Newstalk last night? They read out a text from someone giving out that RTÉ weren't showing the match, and then proceeded to completely ignore it for the next 80 minutes, not even giving goal updates. They did carry their LoI ads during this time though. Not showing the match is one thing - it does cost money and fills time when a bigger audience could be drawn in - but not giving updates is ridiculous.

ah in fairness i was listening to off the ball last night and it was the 1 station that were keeping me updated. eoin mentioned it loads of times with the score esp after 9 o'clock and gave how much was left.

pineapple stu
16/07/2009, 9:21 AM
After 9, yeah, but sure the game was mostly over by then. There was nothing at all before 9. The text was read out around about kick off. They then discussed whether Richie Dunne would beat John Terry in the decathlon for half an hour.

dcfc1928
16/07/2009, 9:23 AM

I think that the FAI should attempt to get RTE to commit to showing Ireland's CL representatives live and our Europa reps at least on a special MNS highlights program. The Irish viewership simply do not see the progress of Irish clubs in Europe but if this was reveresed some may become more interested.

For instance Derry's run in 2006 got no coverage. RTE didn't show any highlights or goals from those 3 games and I remember Steven Kenny giving out about that fact.

And Newstalk are one of the League's main sponsors. I am sure I am not alone in being extremely disappointed with their coverage of the league considering their connection with it. They give it token coverage on a Thursday and Saturday (?) and maybe ten minutes on a Friday night coming up to 10 o'clock. And that pales into complete insignificance when compared to their coverage of cycling, tennis, the gah, english/scottish and even spanish and italian football.

Duggie
16/07/2009, 9:29 AM
RTE dont care about irish sides, id say there **** there pants if bohs made the group stages. they havent a clue, look at there presenters. apart from con murphy the rest of them wouldnt have a bulls in the office id say. there a joke.

Duggie
16/07/2009, 9:30 AM
After 9, yeah, but sure the game was mostly over by then. There was nothing at all before 9. The text was read out around about kick off. They then discussed whether Richie Dunne would beat John Terry in the decathlon for half an hour.

well daniel mcdonnell was watching it online and gave an update round 8.10. i thought eoin gave plenty of updates IMO.

sonofstan
16/07/2009, 9:36 AM
I'd be willing to bet that the Derry game will get more attention on news bulletins on BBC NI and UTV than Bohs got from RTE last night.

pineapple stu
16/07/2009, 9:40 AM
well daniel mcdonnell was watching it online and gave an update round 8.10. i thought eoin gave plenty of updates IMO.
Must've missed that. But I can almost recite the entire scoring sequence in the minor hurling game that was on.

Duggie
16/07/2009, 9:46 AM
Must've missed that. But I can almost recite the entire scoring sequence in the minor hurling game that was on.

oh i know and that was live on tg4 :eek:

wexfordned
16/07/2009, 9:51 AM
Before last nights result RTE told bohs they wouldn't be broadcasting the second leg.

Next Wednesday night you will have the farcical situation where Austrian tv are sending over there own cameras/crew etc. to show the game live in Austria but our lads couldn't even drive a couple of miles!

MeathDrog
16/07/2009, 9:58 AM
It was U21. :cool:

Straightstory
16/07/2009, 10:20 AM
The point is: Football is the biggest sport in the world, The Champions' League is the biggest club competition is football. The Irish Champions are playing the Austrian Champions is the biggest club tournament in the biggest sport in the world, and RTE don't even show the goals on the News (let alone having had neither live coverage nor highlights of the game). It's inexplicable. People are quite right to be outraged about it. It's a farce.

thischarmingman
16/07/2009, 10:31 AM
I'd be willing to bet that the Derry game will get more attention on news bulletins on BBC NI and UTV than Bohs got from RTE last night.
You may be right, although that's partly because the BBC up here sometimes has to go out of it's way to show it's being equal to both communities, hence making sure big City games are covered.

FGS, they showed Liverpool in the first qualifying round a few years back when they drew some welsh side but they didnt show a team from our own country in the 2nd qualifying round.
Thank you, that's the example [I was looking for last night, I'd forgotten about Liverpool in the first qualifying round.

I think that the FAI should attempt to get RTE to commit to showing Ireland's CL representatives live and our Europa reps at least on a special MNS highlights program.
I don't even think they should have to be made to commit, as a public service broadcaster.

Sheridan
16/07/2009, 10:37 AM
Do you remember the time they refused to broadcast Bohs' CL qualifiers because they didn't have rights to the final stages of the tournament, then showed Celtic's qualifier?

Scram
16/07/2009, 10:46 AM
Do you remember the time they refused to broadcast Bohs' CL qualifiers because they didn't have rights to the final stages of the tournament, then showed Celtic's qualifier?

Probably the only country in Europe who don't have the nation's teams on national television...

well, having said that English PL teams are sometimes only on Sky but generally UTV will show, never on BBC as far as I know, so you have to watch on UTV, Sky or RTE!

Pretty disgraceful from RTE, at least delayed highlights would be appreciated!

Let's all refuse to pay our licenses, as far as I know, it's anti-EU anyway in many facets, so bring it to the top court in Europe.

irishultra
16/07/2009, 10:52 AM
Probably the only country in Europe who don't have the nation's teams on national television...

well, having said that English PL teams are sometimes only on Sky but generally UTV will show, never on BBC as far as I know, so you have to watch on UTV, Sky or RTE!

Pretty disgraceful from RTE, at least delayed highlights would be appreciated!

Let's all refuse to pay our licenses, as far as I know, it's anti-EU anyway in many facets, so bring it to the top court in Europe.

I'd be up for that.

eamo1
16/07/2009, 11:01 AM
Ive emailed RTE countless times about their "coverage".I get the standard responce back-"we have taken your query on board and will address it and get back to you".I first emailed them in 2001 about it and im still waiting for them to get back to me in reply to my first email:rolleyes:.
Public Service Broadcaster my as*

Sumac
16/07/2009, 11:09 AM
S4C have been showing life coverage of the Welsh teams in Europe this season!

endabob1
16/07/2009, 11:21 AM
on the plus side the indo had a decent report today
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/away-goal-gives-bohs-euro-wings-1824447.html

5ForKeeps
16/07/2009, 11:36 AM
As a Liverpool and Wexford Youths supporter, it is a sad indictment that RTE our national broadcaster didn't show last nites game. Much like over the course of the last decade when Derry and Cork had that great run in Europe. Even Sligo as well.

More exposure is needed, there is a lot of interest in seeing a LOI club in Europe but these fat cats don't have the balls to put the money up to support the LOI teams.

Duggie
16/07/2009, 11:50 AM
look weve all come to expect this from RTE but last night took the biscuit when they put the cross channel transfer news before bohs result. i could have throttled yer one even though she was only reading it out. id love to know who put last night bulletin together.

Dodge
16/07/2009, 11:53 AM
Lads RTE are incredibly lazy, and take everything from AP/reuters wire services.

At 11 there is nobody in the sports department so they show stuff they can easily access.

BohDiddley
16/07/2009, 11:56 AM
I happened to switch it on just after I went to bed and I commented to the girlfriend that it was terrible to have an English football story ahead of Bohs great result, then to make it worse they only showed the preview thing from the news at six. It really was appaling and I'm not generally one to get too upset by stuff like that, I mean how difficult would it have been to ask Austrian TV for the rights to show the goals?

Not only did they show the preview after the game, but they omitted to tell viewers that what they were seeing was archive material. So a casual viewer easily could have thought that they were watching action from Salszburg. The only clue was the Bohs-Derry score tag, but most would miss that in a 15-second clip. Dishonest.

Schumi
16/07/2009, 11:56 AM

I was listening to Newstalk from about 8:30 to just after 9:00. The only mention of the game I noticed was at the end of the 9:00 news. In that time they talked about a fight at a gaa match 50 years ago, interviewed some boxer and had updates on an under-age gaa match. Even something like having futbol24.com open and saying "It's still 1-0" every 5 or 10 minutes would have been useful.

elroy
16/07/2009, 12:17 PM
I was listening to Newstalk from about 8:30 to just after 9:00. The only mention of the game I noticed was at the end of the 9:00 news. In that time they talked about a fight at a gaa match 50 years ago, interviewed some boxer and had updates on an under-age gaa match. Even something like having futbol24.com open and saying "It's still 1-0" every 5 or 10 minutes would have been useful.

Im a fan of Off the ball and imo its the best sports show on the radio. I was astounded by the fact that (a) no tv coverage and (b) not even radio coverage of the game, so Off the ball was the best bet or so i thought. (Wasnt near a computer to watch a stream). In their LOI section they gave a few regular updates and DMcDonnell mentioned the game as Bohs had just gone one down. After this section, there was a gap of about 40/50 mins before any further mention and then once bohs had equalised they gave a few more updates. In between all this I lost count of the amount of updates they gave of the leinster U21 final despite the fact that KK were walking the bloody thing. Very frustrating.

Then after the show, eoin made the odd reference to the great result that bohs got, upon which Ken Earley (who i do like for his EPL coverage) had not a single comment to make. Unfortunately he is reflective of alot supporters in Ireland, could tell you who pool/utd etc are playing in a friendly next week but havent a notion about their own participants in the CL. RTE's non coverage of the game only adds to this, i guarantee you people who normally wouldnt watch LOI would have tuned in last night, (a) because there is a lack of football on at the moment and (b) are more likely to watch an Irish team in Europe than a domestic game.

Rovers1
16/07/2009, 12:23 PM
Im a fan of Off the ball

I actually can't stand the show, but somehow always end up listening to it. Eoin, the presenter 'pretends' to be interested in the LoI, whereas the boghead from Galway and the other lad you can barely understand either just laugh, or leave the studio everytime a LoI section comes up.

Duggie
16/07/2009, 12:28 PM
off the ball is a good show in fairness. could do a bit more on eircom league definetely seen as its a 3 hour show. id like to see an hour long bit maybe on a thursday night with the usual previews and maybe some in depth pieces on other stuff, with studio guests etc.

brianw82
16/07/2009, 12:47 PM
I complained to RTE. I feel like a big man now. :)

Duggie
16/07/2009, 12:48 PM
I complained to RTE. I feel like a big man now. :)

i wouldnt waste my time to be honest. prob already in the trash.