PDA

View Full Version : To whet the appetite….

joe
28/01/2004, 7:21 PM
…. a couple of provisional fixtures. If there’s any changes I’ll try and post them asap

Sunday, 01/02/04

Under18s
Bandon V Cork City
10.45 am, Town Park, Bandon

Under17s
Cork City V Ballincollig
2.30 pm, Bishopstown

Sunday, 08/02/04

First Team
Kerry DL V Cork City
Tralee Dynamos V Cork City
Both 3.00 pm, Tralee

Under18s
FAI Youths Cup
Cork City V Home Farm
2.00 pm, Bishopstown

*The under16s/Development Squad will also be playing on Sunday, their first ever outing, in Midleton. Details to follow.

Sunday, 15/02/04

First Team
Bandon V Cork City
2.30 pm, Town Park, Bandon

Sunday, 22/02/04

First Team
Munster Senior Cup
Cork City V Avondale United
2.00 pm, Bishopstown

A benefit match is also to be played away to Cobh Ramblers, possibly on Tuesday, 02/03/04.

Counting Crow
28/01/2004, 10:13 PM
I reckon there could be 6,000 at the Bandon match ( that's twice the population of the town:D ......... people are so desperate to see a game.

What's the benifit game in Cobh all about............is for "their benifit" as it will be the only tim this season they'll have a crowd.

thecorner
28/01/2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by joe
A benefit match is also to be played away to Cobh Ramblers, possibly on Tuesday, 02/03/04.

will billy be allowed play
or maybe the benefit game is because of billy's tackle last year:D

Peadar
29/01/2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by joe

Sunday, 08/02/04

First Team
Kerry DL V Cork City
Tralee Dynamos V Cork City
Both 3.00 pm, Tralee

Joe could you explain this to me please?
I want to pass the information on to some Tralee based City fans.

joe
29/01/2004, 5:19 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
Joe could you explain this to me please?
I want to pass the information on to some Tralee based City fans.

afaik one City team will take on the Kerry DL in Mounthawk while a second eleven will play Tralee Dynamos next door on their pitch.

The benefit game is for Michael Hastings who suffered a broken leg when the two sides met in the Munster Senior Cup semi-final last April.

joe
29/01/2004, 6:21 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Will the team facing the KDL be the full team? Might make the spin over. Anyone else coming down?

i'd say both teams could be a mix-and-match, dunno really

ramblers04
29/01/2004, 7:08 PM
Ya its for zico,cause of billy the ******* tackle last season.

joe
30/01/2004, 7:16 PM
note changes to underage fixtures this weekend

Originally posted by joe

Sunday, 01/02/04

Under18s
Bandon V Cork City
10.45 am, Town Park, Bandon

Under17s
Cork City V Ballincollig
2.30 pm, Bishopstown

thecorner
30/01/2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by ramblers04
Ya its for zico,cause of billy the ******* tackle last season.

if "zico:rolleyes: " cant handle the tough tackles maybe he is better off on the sidelines

ramblers04
31/01/2004, 3:29 PM
no one would of went un-injured in that tackle!
it was knee high ya ****in fanny!

Counting Crow
31/01/2004, 11:43 PM
That last post was like one of those cryptic messages in a WW II movie.

Someone please pass the secret code book:rolleyes:

I had to read it 2-3 times to understand what the Rambler was saying.:rolleyes:

ian
01/02/2004, 6:57 AM
To the ramblers04. Will you ever give it a rest for f--k sake. Do you lot always live in the past just get over it.

mouldymurphy
01/02/2004, 9:57 AM
well they dont have much tolokforward to inthe future!!!

jofyisgod
01/02/2004, 10:31 AM
God-that was ages ago. I hadn't realised what he was on about, then it clicked. That was sooo last year!;)

joe
08/02/2004, 4:58 PM
Sunday, 08/02/04

Cork Schoolboys League 5-0 Kerry League

FAI Youths Cup
Cork City 2-0 Home Farm

Upcoming:

Sunday, 15/02/04

Bandon V Cork City
2.30 pm, Town Park, Bandon

Sunday, 22/02/04

Munster Senior Cup
Cork City V Avondale United
2.00 pm, Bishopstown

Tuesday, 02/03/04
Cobh Ramblers V Cork City

joe
08/02/2004, 7:09 PM
take the number 8 bus to the end of curaheen road (the last stop unless you're on an 8A) and keep walking towards the greyhound track. There's a right turn, the entrance to the dog track, just after the new flyover and you've got to walk all the way around the car park to get to the entrance to the football ground.

Colm
15/02/2004, 8:49 PM
Originally posted by xtreme rebel
I think i will get a bit lost!! Anychance of step by step instructions to the pitch?

If you know where the dog track is you can't miss the pitch. Just walk through the dog track car park (you'll be able to see the pitch from here), go all the way through until you come to a gravel surface walk across that, then go through the gates and you're in the fooball ground.

Colm
15/02/2004, 9:01 PM
I the dog track car park open on a sunday?? So basically i can't miss it if i get to the dog track car park!

Yeah and yeah.

Storysham
15/02/2004, 9:24 PM
Another friendly added to the list.

Feb 29 vs St. Michael's
Friendly
Univ. Limerick
3pm

Nice one, another glamour game.

Colm
15/02/2004, 9:30 PM
Originally posted by Storysham
Nice one, another glamour game.

What benefit exactly do think we'd derive from a "glamour game"?

razor
16/02/2004, 7:53 AM
Originally posted by Colm
What benefit exactly do think we'd derive from a "glamour game"?
Also

Glamour Game = Better Quality Opposition = Better Run Out

Simple Really

:rolleyes:

tiktok
16/02/2004, 8:03 AM
It's going to be difficult for Dolan to pick his best eleven when he's not had the chance to judge them against decent opposition. Cobh are the biggest team lined up for God's sake.

It's all well and good to feel positive about steve, Fenn and Sweeney, but we can't really judge their true level on performances against Tralee and Bandon.

Colm
16/02/2004, 11:34 AM
A large attendance and more money.

Large attendance.... yeah probably.
More money.... not neccessarily. Most cross channel teams would command a fee and that may mean we'd make little or no actual profit.

Originally posted by razor
Glamour Game = Better Quality Opposition = Better Run Out

That doesn't always turn out to be the case though. A team like Bandon will up their game against City and will give it their all as it will be a huge game for them. However, a big foreign team won't take the game seriously, may not play to the best of their ability and will just want to get the game over and done with. In that case, which opposition gives us the better run out?

SÓC
16/02/2004, 12:51 PM
I think there was some merit to having "glamour" games when the English season and the Irish season started at the same time. At least then they would unveil new signings, have players trying hard to get into their managers first team etc.

Now you have English who arent too bothered about playing over here. Forrest cancled on Bohs and Leicester were unconcerned that Pats would play 3 supporters.

Where as junior teams are midseason, fit and would really love to play big teams like from the eL like City.

The main purpose of pre-season is to get players fit and ready for the new season. A run out against a tough MSL team will do that for you.

Gary
16/02/2004, 12:53 PM
This coming from the same person who booed Jay Jay Okacha a few months back for being a good player. Get over it Colm, lots of people would like to see some quality foreign teams over here for friendlies, because lets face it, we aint getting any in Europe for a long time if ever.

That being said, if Celtic ever darkened the Cross again i wouldnt go. But a tem like Bolton/Charlton/Middlesboro would be nice.

razor
16/02/2004, 2:31 PM
However, a big foreign team won't take the game seriously, may not play to the best of their ability and will just want to get the game over and done with. In that case, which opposition gives us the better run out?

Playing against better players does improve players.
Even if they are not giving it their all, a run out against a Premiership team would definitely be beneficial to our lads.
Definitely more so than a run out against an MSL/Junior team

SÓC
16/02/2004, 2:42 PM
Playing against better players does improve players.
Even if they are not giving it their all, a run out against a Premiership team would definitely be beneficial to our lads.
Definitely more so than a run out against an MSL/Junior team

True, but will a run out against a Premiership team's youths and reserves really be that much better considering they'd be charging to come over etc.

razor
16/02/2004, 3:02 PM
It would obviously depend on the situation but some of those young fellas could be very eager to impress at the same time.

Dricky
16/02/2004, 3:08 PM
It would obviously depend on the situation but some of those young fellas could be very eager to impress at the same time.

Get the basics right with them once that works build to the good games, playing Eng teams is all fine and well but why not bohs shels etc??? If we have put so much into the team why would we want to put half of them in the shop window???

razor
16/02/2004, 3:15 PM
Originally posted by Dricky
Get the basics right with them once that works build to the good games, playing Eng teams is all fine and well but why not bohs shels etc???

Totally Agree

Originally posted by Dricky
If we have put so much into the team why would we want to put half of them in the shop window???

A bit paranoid don't u think ?
If they are that good they'll be spotted anyway.

Colm
16/02/2004, 3:18 PM
Originally posted by Gary
This coming from the same person who booed Jay Jay Okacha a few months back for being a good player.
You say that but then you go on to say this

Celtic ever darkened the Cross again i wouldnt go.
Surely that's double standards?

Anyway, as myself and Eanna were trying to explain to you the other night, we weren't booing Jay Jay because he's a good player. In fact we weren't booing him at all.... we were singing 'who are ya'! This was nothing personal against Okocha it was merely to prove a point to the idiots applauding him who only ever come to the cross when a foreign team is in town.
I think Jay Jay is fantastic and love to watch him doing all his flicks and tricks but I can't stand the mentality of a lot of the idiots who were applauding him.

I have no problem with these so called "glamour games" but I don't see any point in paying to play a foreign team when we'd get as much benefit out playing a local team for free.

Dricky
16/02/2004, 3:38 PM
Totally Agree

A bit paranoid don't u think ?
If they are that good they'll be spotted anyway.

Not paranoid at all, the eng teams come here with the team there team includes managers scouts etc, If they are good enough let them prove it at Cork City and not because they showed off at one friendly, no problem with anyone moving if they can say they showed they're worth it, it can be quite upsetting for a team if they see palyers leave before the el starts.

jofyisgod
16/02/2004, 5:37 PM
I agree here with Colm and to attract supporters we shouldn't have to attract foreign teams because people are obsessed with the Premiership. I would go and see a City friendly no matter who the opposition.

If only everyone else thought like that, then the X would be packed all the time.

Gary
16/02/2004, 5:49 PM

Surely that's double standards?

Not in the slightest. At the Bolton friendly many people came to see Bolton, many to see Cork soccer allstars. I dont think there were too many Boltons "supporters" there. But the Celtic match was entirely different. U know that

This was nothing personal against Okocha it was merely to prove a point to the idiots applauding him

I applauded him, as he is probably the best player to EVER play in Turners cross.

I have no problem with these so called "glamour games" but I don't see any point in paying to play a foreign team when we'd get as much benefit out playing a local team for free.

Okay, lets look at that point from the other point of view. How do City players, who generally pro, benefit from players a msl team? Surely they would benefit that bit more from playing better quality opposition. All u need do there is look at the Scottish league. Its a joke becoz there are 2 teams. They are shown for the frauds they are come Europe time.

To be honest i hate all this "reverse bar stool" attitude. I support City, therefore no one else can be a football fan;)

thecorner
16/02/2004, 6:21 PM
4 team mini tournament with waterford,limerick and queenstown should be arranged for pre-season

get a few good competitive games under their belts

Neil
16/02/2004, 8:04 PM
I applauded him, as he is probably the best player to EVER play in Turners cross.

Georgie Best surely

RedX
16/02/2004, 8:11 PM
Gerry Mc Cabe surely :D

Gary
16/02/2004, 9:33 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Georgie Best surely

George Best was far past his pinnacle as a player (ok, football player!) when he came to play here.

Maybe re phrase it - Jay Jay Okacha is the best player, at his peak, to ever play at the Cross.

SÓC
17/02/2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by GWA
George Best was far past his pinnacle as a player (ok, football player!) when he came to play here.

Maybe re phrase it - Jay Jay Okacha is the best player, at his peak, to ever play at the Cross.

Gunther Netzer played there for Borrusia MuncingladIcantspellthat aginst Hibs in Europe and was considered the best footballer in the Germany Squad of '74, only problem was he was also a bit of a "player" as you say. Fell out with the manager before the finals and only had a bit part in the squad. From what Ive read and heard about him he was the best ever to play there.

Jay Jay Okacha is the best player that I've seen play in person at the Cross.

BOF
17/02/2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by SÓC
Gunther Netzer played there for Borrusia MuncingladIcantspellthat aginst Hibs in Europe

That match was played at Flower Lodge, not at the cross.
Netzer was a phenominal player and completely controlled the game.

Happy days

brendan

liamon
17/02/2004, 11:01 AM
I agree here with Colm and to attract supporters we shouldn't have to attract foreign teams because people are obsessed with the Premiership. I would go and see a City friendly no matter who the opposition.

While I applaud your commitment to the cause, let's just consider the reality. People don't currently attend eL matches in large numbers. So it's difficult to build a fan base and get people in the mentality of going to live games. Getting a quality team in can help to bring people in and introduce them to live football, CCFC and the eL. If we provide them with a quality product, then maybe they'll come back.

I personally got hooked after going to see a live game against European opposition. Certainly, a match against a team like Bandon won't help to promote the club very much.

Neil
17/02/2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by GWA

If Okocha was that good and at his peak he wouldn't be playing with BOLTON!

Anyway didn't Roy Keane play for Ireland in the Cross back in 1990 with the u-21's before the World Cup? (He probably played there with Rockmount and Ramblers aswell)

And don't forget about Henrick Laaarson...

tiktok
17/02/2004, 12:56 PM

when was that, AFAIK he was out injured when Celtic played at the cross.

I wasn't at the Bolton game, so I'd have to base it on....

IFK Gothenborg had a few decent players with them at the cross, Patrick Andersen was fairly decent then
How about John O'Shea or Liam Miller with the U21's -v- Denmark

all joking aside, the best performance I've seen at the cross was Joe Gamble's 45 minutes for city in the friendly against Wolves, or Ollie's hat-trick against Waterford a few years back.

Gary
17/02/2004, 5:30 PM

Do we, or have we seen any better (club?) teams than BOLTON at the cross in recent yrs? NO!

Anyway didn't Roy Keane play for Ireland in the Cross back in 1990 with the u-21's before the World Cup? (He probably played there with Rockmount and Ramblers aswell)

Keane hadnt peaked at that stage. Keane only peaked in the last 5 yrs.

GavinZac
18/02/2004, 8:49 AM
keane only peaked since 1999? :confused: :D

tomas ravelli (i think thats his name) was the best player at the cross recently.

or kabia...

Eric
18/02/2004, 1:47 PM
There's a couple of good names being put forward as being the best player at their peak to play at the cross but to put all of your minds at ease over this little debate I played there a few years back for Fermoy U-17's in the league cup and if I do say so myself.......I was on fire that day!!!!!!:D :D

A face
18/02/2004, 1:57 PM

He is over rated .... just like the club he plays for !!

thecorner
18/02/2004, 2:30 PM
davy barry or patsy freyne

now we are talking legends

one_bounce
18/02/2004, 3:48 PM

larsson didnt play with celtic that day..