PDA

View Full Version : Tevez to City

hoop4life
14/07/2009, 11:54 AM
deal as good as confirmed, just wondering what are peoples views on this.
imo, the lad just wants to be centre of attention. he cannot settle anywhere. he started as many premier league games as berbatov and yet he scored no more than 5 goals. yes, he was a decent player but i think he acted very unprofessionally in the way he went around engineering a move out of old trafford which is what he wanted. he says he was forced out but ultimatley he was made a huge offer by manchester united which shows that he was not forced out of the club

De Town
14/07/2009, 12:04 PM
It's good to see Carlos finally get his dream move to the club he supported as a boy.

DeLorean
14/07/2009, 12:37 PM
Impossible to know. Judging by Ferguson's comments United tried to secure his signature months ago but Tevez's comments over the last few months suggest otherwise. Just depends whose telling the truth really. I do feel he was getting a raw deal in relation to starting games, he was definitely playing second best to Berbatov for a lot of the year, which was harsh considering the season he had 07/08.

KK77
14/07/2009, 12:42 PM
Went to the club with the highest wage on offer. In fairness he got shafted last season by the "President" considering how well he'd done in 07/08 season. Must have been hard to take after that especially playing second fiddle to Berbaflop.

Den Perry
14/07/2009, 2:19 PM
Went to the club with the highest wage on offer. In fairness he got shafted last season by the "President" considering how well he'd done in 07/08 season. Must have been hard to take after that especially playing second fiddle to Berbaflop.

Tevez is overrated. I know he'll run all day but he doesn't score enough goals

superfrank
14/07/2009, 2:52 PM
It seems like he got a tough deal from Ferguson, who from his own comments has been messing him around, and I'm sure he wants to go somewhere he's wanted. Can't blame him for that.

hoop4life
14/07/2009, 3:07 PM
Tevez is overrated. I know he'll run all day but he doesn't score enough goals
agreed.
berbatov is in a different league to tevez imo. tevez is a work-horse, no where the quality of rooney, berba or even owen. not sad to see him leave

hoop4life
14/07/2009, 3:10 PM
It seems like he got a tough deal from Ferguson, who from his own comments has been messing him around, and I'm sure he wants to go somewhere he's wanted. Can't blame him for that.

or where he can get a big fat pay check each week. he wont even be playing in europe this year and who knows if he'll be first choice at city. santa cruz, maybe adebayor, robinho, bellamy, bojinov, caicedo all have to be kept happy aswell as tevez even though he is a bit better than some of those mentioned above but there is still a lot of competition for places there aswell

Closed Account 2
14/07/2009, 3:21 PM
The move makes sense for him if he is settled in the region. He will probably start more games at City than he did last season at United. I think he was shafted by Ferguson, Berbatov was clearly favoured by him over Tevez. I dont think Berbatov is a world class player, even at Leverkusen I'd argue Ulf Kirsten was a better striker, and I dont think his alledged class can paper over his total lack of effort. Tevez would always give 100% when he played, even when his future was obviously away from Old Trafford he contributed vital goals such as Wigan and the Manchester derby. If you compare that to the sulky "I wont play" attitue Berbatov had this time last year at Spurs (an attitude that had been growing for about 6 months) then it's easy to see which player is more professional.

Roadend
14/07/2009, 3:42 PM
Looks like the city fans haven't covered themselves in glory on Sky Sports News

DmanDmythDledge
14/07/2009, 4:08 PM
I think he was shafted by Ferguson, Berbatov was clearly favoured by him over Tevez.
Shock horror as football manager starts a player ahead of somebody else.:eek:

hoop4life
14/07/2009, 4:11 PM
The move makes sense for him if he is settled in the region. He will probably start more games at City than he did last season at United. I think he was shafted by Ferguson, Berbatov was clearly favoured by him over Tevez. I dont think Berbatov is a world class player, even at Leverkusen I'd argue Ulf Kirsten was a better striker, and I dont think his alledged class can paper over his total lack of effort. Tevez would always give 100% when he played, even when his future was obviously away from Old Trafford he contributed vital goals such as Wigan and the Manchester derby. If you compare that to the sulky "I wont play" attitue Berbatov had this time last year at Spurs (an attitude that had been growing for about 6 months) then it's easy to see which player is more professional.

fair point they both acted childish and unprofessionally but i think most people will agree that berbatov is a far more naturally gifted footballer. if only you could mix the two of them together, what a player you would have. :ball::)

DeLorean
14/07/2009, 4:17 PM
Shock horror as football manager starts a player ahead of somebody else.:eek:

Think he was just reponding to the fact that people were saying that Tevez and Berbatov ended up with a similar amount of matches, when it was obvious that Tevez was further down the pecking order. As a United fan I'm sorry to see Tevez go as he was an inspirational player with a fantastic attitude on the pitch. Also I don't think he's lacking anything in the line of quality despite the suggestions on here. He didn't score as many goals as he's capable of last season but I'd put that down to it being stop start, much like Robbie Keane's stint at Anfield.

I'd be hopeful that Berbatov can improve in a big way in 09/10, he has his style and he'll stick to it through good and bad, but he is capable of much more.

Razors left peg
14/07/2009, 9:37 PM
People can say Tevez was shafted by Ferguson and that he wasnt given enough games at United but at the end of the day its the managers job to field a team he thinks is best for every game and since Ferguson won the league last season and got to Champions League final I think its hard to argue that he wasnt justified in his team selections. Would have liked to see Tevez stay at United but I dont think he was worth the 25 million

Closed Account 2
14/07/2009, 10:31 PM
I just think he's a great player and if I was a United fan I would have wanted heaven and earth moved to persuade him to stay. The impression I got was, for most of his two years at Old Trafford, he was happy there and would like to have stayed if he'd only got the chance to play more games. Maradona basically told him he's have to play more matches to get into Argentina's squad and that together with Ferguson's hesitancy to sign him meant he had to look elsewhere. He's obviously a gifted player, given he is in the reckoning along side Lavezzi, Aguero, Messi, Maxi Rodriguez and other Argentine attackers.

I disagree that Berbatov is more naturally gifted than Tevez. Berbatov's positive attributes seem to be his touch and finishing, but to my mind Carlos Tevez has a great touch and is very good at finishing, you only need to look at his goal at Wigan to see this. I think he got a raw deal last year at Old Trafford. He was frequently having to come off the bench in the second half of games whereas an out of form and utterly disinterested Berbatov was starting games. It meant Tevez had to get up to the speed and tempo of each game he was subbed on in, so I think comparing the two of them and pointing out they played a similar number of games but Berbatov scored more is misleading. When he started a match he generally did well, he scored a hat-trick against Blackburn and made a big contribution to them winning the Carling Cup. As for Berbatov, I think his attitute has been poor, look at the FA Cup semi, for a world class striker to hit a penalty that bad is shocking - Howard could have dived one way, got up and dived the other to save it...

old git
14/07/2009, 11:02 PM
I just think he's a great player and if I was a United fan I would have wanted heaven and earth moved to persuade him to stay. The impression I got was, for most of his two years at Old Trafford, he was happy there and would like to have stayed if he'd only got the chance to play more games. Maradona basically told him he's have to play more matches to get into Argentina's squad and that together with Ferguson's hesitancy to sign him meant he had to look elsewhere. He's obviously a gifted player, given he is in the reckoning along side Lavezzi, Aguero, Messi, Maxi Rodriguez and other Argentine attackers.

I disagree that Berbatov is more naturally gifted than Tevez. Berbatov's positive attributes seem to be his touch and finishing, but to my mind Carlos Tevez has a great touch and is very good at finishing, you only need to look at his goal at Wigan to see this. I think he got a raw deal last year at Old Trafford. He was frequently having to come off the bench in the second half of games whereas an out of form and utterly disinterested Berbatov was starting games. It meant Tevez had to get up to the speed and tempo of each game he was subbed on in, so I think comparing the two of them and pointing out they played a similar number of games but Berbatov scored more is misleading. When he started a match he generally did well, he scored a hat-trick against Blackburn and made a big contribution to them winning the Carling Cup. As for Berbatov, I think his attitute has been poor, look at the FA Cup semi, for a world class striker to hit a penalty that bad is shocking - Howard could have dived one way, got up and dived the other to save it...

but then again utd supposidly offered him a 5 year deal and 11o,ooo a week to stay but he turned it down and then trys to say utd forced him out and did not try hard enough to keep him if he loved utd as much as he said he did he would have signed contract ,, but now he is joining city to get regular football :confused: with santa cruz signed , adebayor maybee on the way robino / cicado already their might not get as many games as he thinks... but will add i do think he got a raw deal with utd last season

Denis The Red
14/07/2009, 11:05 PM
First, no one has mentioned that weasel Joorabchian and the influence that guy might have had in negotiations. I think he was looking out for himself and what he may get in one final deal because it seems he's lost Tevez now that he's contracted to City. (Need confirmation on the last bit).
I also think Tevez was a little concerned for his international career and I do think he'll get more games at City to help this.
Berbatov cost too much money to spend as much time on the bench as Carlos. Fergie's a proud man and he didn't want his biggest signing (price-wise) to be a flop first time of asking. As a United fan I know who I prefer to stay between the two and he's not the European one.
I also wouldn't give up Tevez for Owen but we'll see if he stays fit he may get more games.
Finally, I miss my thanks that was so cruelly wiped out by the administrator.:( I'm sure there are others like me. I feel weak and vulnerable without them so feel free to thank away.:)

Closed Account 2
14/07/2009, 11:58 PM
but then again utd supposidly offered him a 5 year deal and 11o,ooo a week to stay but he turned it down and then trys to say utd forced him out and did not try hard enough to keep him if he loved utd as much as he said he did he would have signed contract ,, but now he is joining city to get regular football :confused: with santa cruz signed , adebayor maybee on the way robino / cicado already their might not get as many games as he thinks... but will add i do think he got a raw deal with utd last season

I think a lot of Carlos Tevez's actions are governed by his emotions. On the pitch he wears his heart on his sleeve and gives 100% too, never looking disinterested. I think his decisions off the pitch are probably influenced by similar forces. Perhaps he got the vibe that Ferguson didn't really rate him as a player - he may have thought he'd only play as a back-up if Rooney or Berbatov was injured/suspended/needed resting, as that's the way it was looking to most neutral observers as the season wore on. Irrespective of money, he strikes me as the sort of player who genuinely enjoys playing, whereever he's been Carlos has loved playing football, be it on the rough streets of Fuerte Apache, in the Bombonera or at Corinthians. And I think for this reason (together with his national team aspirations) he felt it was best to move on. I can only imagine his frustration at being passed over for a (in many people's opinion) Berbatov.

The feeling I have about Tevez is his natural desire to play and love of the game are paramount to him as a footballer. Such traits are rare in the big leagues these days and I think skillfull players who have them should be kept at all costs.

I agree with Denis, I think he'll get more games at Blackburn. If Hughes is smart he'll have seen how well Santa Cruz plays with Salvador Cabanas for Paraguay. Cabanas, like Tevez, is an active player who runs and harries the opposition. I think a pairing of Tevez and Santa Cruz will be adpoted by Blackburn. I dont know if they'll sign Adebayor, this could potentially disrupt this. I imagine the likes of Bellamy, Benjani, Bozhinov, Evans and Caicedo will be squad players lower down the pecking order. I think Robinho will be an out and out winger (like Wright Phillips but on the other side) and Hughes may well try and convert Bellamy into a winger too. In short I expect Tevez to start most games for Man City.

endabob1
15/07/2009, 9:09 AM
and now City have bought Adebayor so that's
Santa-Cruz
Tevez
Adebayor
Robinhio
Benjani
Bellamy
Bojinov
Caicedo

It's madness, fantasy football gone nuts

tetsujin1979
15/07/2009, 10:11 AM
First, no one has mentioned that weasel Joorabchian and the influence that guy might have had in negotiations. I think he was looking out for himself and what he may get in one final deal because it seems he's lost Tevez now that he's contracted to City. (Need confirmation on the last bit).Joorabchian's role in Tevez's career is a little blurred. He's not the Argentine's agent, I think his official title is "advisor", and his agent is someone else. Apparently they're quite close, on Off The Ball a few weeks ago, Gabriel Marcotta said that Joorabchian is godfather to one of Tevez's children.

Santa-Cruz
Tevez
Adebayor
Robinhio
Benjani
Bellamy
Bojinov
Caicedo

It's madness, fantasy football gone nutsPlus Jo out on loan for the season, and Ched Evans.

Roadend
15/07/2009, 10:18 AM
Santa-Cruz
Tevez
Adebayor
Robinhio
Benjani
Bellamy
Bojinov
Caicedo

It's madness, fantasy football gone nuts

I don't think Benjani is in anyone's footballing fantasies :p

Macy
15/07/2009, 11:07 AM
Sure I'd give 100% and run and run all day, but doesn't mean I'd be any good as a United striker. He's a good player, but I don't think he was worth the money they wanted. You'd be fairly nieve to blame it totally on Fergie or United given the way Tevez has been handled and controlled.

As for favouring Berbatov - favouring a striker you've just brought for a lot of money, who'd have thought that would happen? Berbatov has this season to prove himself imo, it's too early to write him off.

DeLorean
15/07/2009, 12:19 PM
I agree about Berbatov. Last season was patchy at best for him but he will be judged after this season.

I disagree about Tevez. He's easily worth £25m and more. Class act. Great football brain, great attitude, skillful and still fairly young at 25.

old git
15/07/2009, 2:33 PM
I think a lot of Carlos Tevez's actions are governed by his emotions. On the pitch he wears his heart on his sleeve and gives 100% too, never looking disinterested. I think his decisions off the pitch are probably influenced by similar forces. Perhaps he got the vibe that Ferguson didn't really rate him as a player - he may have thought he'd only play as a back-up if Rooney or Berbatov was injured/suspended/needed resting, as that's the way it was looking to most neutral observers as the season wore on. Irrespective of money, he strikes me as the sort of player who genuinely enjoys playing, whereever he's been Carlos has loved playing football, be it on the rough streets of Fuerte Apache, in the Bombonera or at Corinthians. And I think for this reason (together with his national team aspirations) he felt it was best to move on. I can only imagine his frustration at being passed over for a (in many people's opinion) Berbatov.

The feeling I have about Tevez is his natural desire to play and love of the game are paramount to him as a footballer. Such traits are rare in the big leagues these days and I think skillfull players who have them should be kept at all costs.

I agree with Denis, I think he'll get more games at Blackburn. If Hughes is smart he'll have seen how well Santa Cruz plays with Salvador Cabanas for Paraguay. Cabanas, like Tevez, is an active player who runs and harries the opposition. I think a pairing of Tevez and Santa Cruz will be adpoted by Blackburn. I dont know if they'll sign Adebayor, this could potentially disrupt this. I imagine the likes of Bellamy, Benjani, Bozhinov, Evans and Caicedo will be squad players lower down the pecking order. I think Robinho will be an out and out winger (like Wright Phillips but on the other side) and Hughes may well try and convert Bellamy into a winger too. In short I expect Tevez to start most games for Man City.

if emotions involved i think he would have stayed at united ... personally i think his agent/ advisor had to much input/ interferance into his personal career and in the end tevez chose to follow his agent/ advisor advice for money reasons... what was wrong with staying with utd and his (natural desire to play and love of the game are paramount to him as a footballer. Such traits are rare in the big leagues these days ) is he not willing to stay at a club he loved and fight for his place i always thought tevez would be more than capable of winning this battle for a regular starting place .. hope it all works out for him at city as i admire him as a class player with abality / heart / passion :ball:

tetsujin1979
17/07/2009, 4:09 PM
in Manchester this morning: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40277798@N08/sets/72157621467658025/