PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal....

coast boy
14/07/2009, 8:07 AM
Do Arsenal now have the best strikeforce in the Premiership? Van Persie, Eduardo, Arshavin, Vela. If they could buy a strong holding midfielder to play beside Fabregas they could be strong next season. Rosicky also coming back.

Almunia
Sagna, Vermaelen, Toure, Clichy
Nasri, Fabregas, Rosicky, Walcott
Van Persie, Arshavin

Subs: Eduardo, Gallas, Denilson, Vela, Fabianski

Looks pretty strong and he'll probably buy in one or two more.

sadloserkid
14/07/2009, 6:38 PM
Do Arsenal now have the best strikeforce in the Premiership? Van Persie, Eduardo, Arshavin, Vela.

No, no they don't.

centre mid
14/07/2009, 8:02 PM
No, definitely not.

Lev Yashin
14/07/2009, 8:28 PM
Good god no!

Razors left peg
14/07/2009, 8:30 PM
its not bad to be fair! I think they could go fairly close next season if Fabregas and Arshavin stay fit.

old git
14/07/2009, 10:04 PM
Do Arsenal now have the best strikeforce in the Premiership? Van Persie, Eduardo, Arshavin, Vela. If they could buy a strong holding midfielder to play beside Fabregas they could be strong next season. Rosicky also coming back.

Almunia
Sagna, Vermaelen, Toure, Clichy
Nasri, Fabregas, Rosicky, Walcott
Van Persie, Arshavin

Subs: Eduardo, Gallas, Denilson, Vela, Fabianski

Looks pretty strong and he'll probably buy in one or two more.

no way best strike force in premiership and also weak at back and midfield :ball:

Closed Account 2
14/07/2009, 10:17 PM
Arshavin is a special player but I fear their other strikers are a bit too similar to him (in systematic terms, not in level of ability) for a good partnership to form. He'll work best with a tall physical target man (Pogrebnyak did this job at Zenit) and the only types of player like that is Adebayor (not really motivated anymore) or Bendtner (simply not good enough). If they offload those two and by a good physical striker they could do well this season.

endabob1
15/07/2009, 8:32 AM
Will struggle to finish in the top 4, City are looking like a real force this season, Arsenal will always come up with an unknown gem but Fabergas apart, they look weak through the spine.
Could do with a centreback & a bit of experience in midfield and to me Walcott is hugely over-rated, pace to burn but not much else.
Van Persie & Arshavin are top class but Eduardo, Vela are no better than decent, as Edmundo says they really need a physical presence up front now Adebayor is gone.
A lot depends on how much of the cash Wenger is given to spend & who he brings in, really he should bring in some experience but I suspect he'll buy cheap and young and promote Bendtner.

coast boy
16/07/2009, 8:01 AM
Could do with a centreback & a bit of experience in midfield and to me Walcott is hugely over-rated, pace to burn but not much else.
Van Persie & Arshavin are top class but Eduardo, Vela are no better than decent.
A lot depends on how much of the cash Wenger is given to spend & who he brings in, really he should bring in some experience but I suspect he'll buy cheap and young and promote Bendtner.[/QUOTE]

Firstly i don't rate Bendtner at all, thats why i didnt include him. Wenger seems to see something in him, i cant figure out what. I do agree with you on the experience in midfield....he has already brought in a centreback. Thats why i said he'll probably bring in 1 or 2 more players. On Walcott i think he's a little over-rated at the moment but once he sorts his crossing out will be a good player. He's still young. Eduardo is a great finisher and now he's fit i think he'll show it next year. Vela is also a talented young player. Anyone that saw his performance against Sheffield United in the cup will have seen this guys talent.

DeLorean
21/07/2009, 1:48 PM
Nasri Out For 3 Months (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8161390.stm)

Knowing the Arsenal medical team that probably means 3 years!! Big enough blow. Arsenal have had no luck with injuries the last couple of seasons.

bellavistaman
21/07/2009, 5:18 PM
Jesus no, prob 4 ahead of them at this stage, better take off the blinkers i say.

eirebhoy
21/07/2009, 6:38 PM
Depending on who Arsenal sign I'll be looking to back them for the league, at least on the handicap. They need 1 player atm to complete their team and that's a holding midfielder.

-------------- xxx ---------------
---- Fabregas ------- Rosicky ----
Walcott ---------------- Arshavin
----------- van Persie -----------

That's a class lineup. Then there's Eduardo to come in if they want a main striker. The movement from all those players should cause havoc.

In defence they've 2 brilliant full backs imo and they signed the captain of Ajax at centre half.

No chance of Man City finishing ahead of them imo and the top 4 should be closer than ever before.

If they signed Essien, just say, I'd be backing them for the league without question so it all depends on who they sign for midfield.

Fabregas imo is the playmaker in the league. van Persie and Arshavin are definitely around the top 5-10 attackers in the league.

shakermaker1982
21/07/2009, 7:28 PM
It's a great team on paper Eirebhoy but Rosicky, Van Persie and Walcott have spent so much time on the treatment table these last 18 months that you'd have to ask yourself how many times next season would those 5 players all start together? Van Persie and Walcott injure themselves brushing their teeth and Rosicky will be coming back from a serious injury which will need watching.

Arsenal need a couple of wise heads in the mix to really compete. If they can dump Bendtner and bring in a top class striker then they should keep their top 4 place at the minimum. Selling Adebayor for so much cash for a good piece of business if you ask me - Whether Wenger spends the cash is another matter!

Razors left peg
21/07/2009, 8:44 PM
Depending on who Arsenal sign I'll be looking to back them for the league, at least on the handicap. They need 1 player atm to complete their team and that's a holding midfielder.

That's a class lineup. Then there's Eduardo to come in if they want a main striker. The movement from all those players should cause havoc.

In defence they've 2 brilliant full backs imo and they signed the captain of Ajax at centre half.

No chance of Man City finishing ahead of them imo and the top 4 should be closer than ever before.

If they signed Essien, just say, I'd be backing them for the league without question so it all depends on who they sign for midfield.

Fabregas imo is the playmaker in the league. van Persie and Arshavin are definitely around the top 5-10 attackers in the league.

Id agree with pretty much all of that and Im a United fan.I honestly think Arsenal are on the verge of having a fantastic side and Im more worried about them this season than Liverpool, Chelsea or Man City

Oink
24/07/2009, 10:23 AM

I completely agree, I think Arsenal have a great chance of taking the league this year ..... if they dont suffer from injuries and sign a DM.

Im not a gooner either.

endabob1
24/07/2009, 10:37 AM
I think they are the most vunerable of the skyballbig4, lacking leadership, weak at the back (gallas is a flake) new guy from Ajax is an unknown quantity at the moment, lacking bite and experience in midfield and now lacking a physical front man.
A few injury prone players, Nasri, Van Persie, Rosicky, the hugely over-rated Walcott, have all spent considerable time on the treatment table.
I would be amazed if they are within 15 points of the eventual winners

Closed Account 2
24/07/2009, 12:13 PM
There's talk of Bendtner going to Milan for £10-15 million, this would be a fantastic move from Arsenal's point of view. Being able to get rid of Adebayor and Bendtner and getting a total of around £35-40 is a very good bit of business. I think they need to get replacements though. They could pick up a much cheaper strike force which might be better than the players they've sold. It's common knowledge that Real Madrid are looking to sell off their dutch players, I could see Huntelaar going there. There are quite a few strikers of decent ability who are out of contract, such as Pantelic, but I really think they should push the boat out and sign Edin Džeko of Wolfsburg.

If they sign a top quality striker and few back up players with this money I can see them doing well.

endabob1
24/07/2009, 12:19 PM
Wenger's hands are pretty much tied with the repayments on the Emirates, too much cash tied up in that to release for transfers. I can't see anyone paying 10m for Bendtner he is terrible, although Milan did by Senderos so they have previous!
Huntelaar would be a good move although he aparrently turned Stuttgart down because his nett wage was going to be lower than he was on at Real, Arsenal would possibly have to break their structure to pay him, given the new 50% tax in the UK.

roinuj
24/07/2009, 12:23 PM
i cant see arsenal finishing top 4 this season,
the squad seems to be getting smaller and smaller all the time..
will be lucky to see them in top six

Jofspring
30/07/2009, 11:16 AM
Toure gone now. They are also linked with bringing Viera back. I presume he would act as the holding midfielder people are talking about but whether he can still do a job for Arsenal no one knows. With the injuries they have I think they need to replace what has left the club asap and also add another striker, defender and midfielder to that. Huntelaar would be a good signing for Arsenal. Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool will be top three after that its a fight between Arsenal, Man City and Spurs/Everton i think (Left Villa out because they haven't replaced Barry or Laursen yet).

the scout
02/08/2009, 6:37 PM
dont be afraid to add the youngster wilshire to that line-up from what i've seen of him he is quality!

old git
02/08/2009, 10:26 PM
dont be afraid to add the youngster wilshire to that line-up from what i've seen of him he is quality!

what line up !! :D... arsenal look to have a very young inexperienced team who is going to score regulary for them now ?and they will need to replace kolo toure asap .. hope they do well as i love watching them play but have a feeling they will struggle this year .. can see the likes of bolton / hulls etc getting stuck into them and upseting their game :ball:

swinfordfc
03/08/2009, 11:38 AM
Love watching Arsenal playing but in fairest - ye do need 2-3 good signings ..... like man city are after ye 4th spot ......

briancool21
03/08/2009, 8:31 PM
Wilshire was unreal in the emirates cup wasn't he i have no fears for arsenal in the coming season

Denis The Red
04/08/2009, 12:46 AM
Great thread lads, very interesting.
As a United fan I think we'll be ok in spite of the loss of Ronaldo and Tevez but I think the biggest threat will come from Chelsea.
They still have most and probably all their most important players with more stability in management. They still did well with an uncertain coaching staff last season. So whoever finishes higher than Chelsea will be Champions.
That said I'm not ruling out a good season from the Gooners. Wenger has always surprised us before with his selling and buying and though I don't expect Wilshire to be the second coming it just shows Wenger is not a spent force when it comes to unveiling new talent. The guy has a few more rabbits left methinks.
And with restrictions on spending because of the Emirates I believe he's a cute whore when it comes to business and put the Man City megabucks to good use.
Also I don't think they'll miss Adebayor or Toure too much providing they get a decent centre half.

eirebhoy
04/08/2009, 2:13 PM
Wilshere is class alright. Leo Messi level of potential imo. He was unreal against Liverpool in the youth cup final. A genius.

tetsujin1979
04/08/2009, 2:28 PM
Arsenal have possibly the most attacking starting XI in the Premiership, if everyone is fit.
However, given their fitness history (how long is Rosicky out now?) I really don't see them challenging for the title this season

FahyForever
04/08/2009, 2:52 PM
I'm a Liverpool fan and I think Arsenal will win the league next season provided Matuidi/viera whoever they sign in the middle is half decent. Having Arshavin for the champions league is a huge bonus too.

old git
04/08/2009, 10:08 PM
Wilshere is class alright. Leo Messi level of potential imo. He was unreal against Liverpool in the youth cup final. A genius.

seemed to remeber the same hype about theo walcott not so long back and he has not excatly set the preimership alight ;)

old git
04/08/2009, 10:11 PM
Arsenal have possibly the most attacking starting XI in the Premiership, if everyone is fit.
However, given their fitness history (how long is Rosicky out now?) I really don't see them challenging for the title this season

best attacking starting 11... bedener !!!!!
may be very attacking but probally weakest defence now also which could hurt them big time over the season :ball:

De Town
04/08/2009, 10:13 PM
seemed to remeber the same hype about theo walcott not so long back and he has not excatly set the preimership alight ;)
Never saw the hype around Walcott myself, great pace but can't seem to control it. Wilshere is a class player though, destined for greatness in my opinion.

While I think Arsenal could seriously struggle next season, I still think they'll be in the top 4 as there's no other team good enough to challenge them. There's alot of talk about City but a poor defence and manager won't help their chances.

Arshavin will improve this year too for Arsenal I think, did well for them in a short space of time last season and that will help him to flourish next season. I've put a few beans on him to be top scorer next year, got 25/1 with PP which is great value me thinks.

coast boy
08/08/2009, 11:54 AM
best attacking starting 11... bedener !!!!!
may be very attacking but probally weakest defence now also which could hurt them big time over the season :ball:

Don't really agree with that. Clichy and Sagna are two brilliant full backs and vermaelen and Gallas are forming a good partnership. They definitely need back up for these players though. In my opinion Bentner wont start many games. It will be Arshavin playing behind Van Persie with Eduardo backing up. Wilshere played well in the Emirates cup the year before too and didnt get much of a chance last year but with him, Ramsey and Vela coming through the future looks good. They have got so many great players who need to spend more time on the pitch than the treatment table though, Van Persie, Eduardo, Nasri, Rosicky. They will be really strong if everyone stays fit.

swinfordfc
08/08/2009, 11:40 PM
I'm a Liverpool fan and I think Arsenal will win the league next season provided Matuidi/viera whoever they sign in the middle is half decent. Having Arshavin for the champions league is a huge bonus too.

Arsenal will make 4th ...... thats it ..... ;)

eirebhoy
18/08/2009, 12:56 PM
After Sunday I really hope I'm not left regretting backing Arsenal for the league on the handicap as I was last season with Fulham. Had no money to back them this year. I have to say though that Handicap betting is the best bet you could ever do. 17/1 on all the teams and you can write off the majority of them. I limitted it down to Arsenal and Sunderland this season and I'd be surprised if neither won it.

lionelhutz
20/08/2009, 11:44 AM
After Sunday I really hope I'm not left regretting backing Arsenal for the league on the handicap as I was last season with Fulham. Had no money to back them this year. I have to say though that Handicap betting is the best bet you could ever do. 17/1 on all the teams and you can write off the majority of them. I limitted it down to Arsenal and Sunderland this season and I'd be surprised if neither won it.

I backed West Ham +36 in the handicap table. I think they'll have a great season this year under Zola and will upset the top teams.

eirebhoy
21/08/2009, 11:22 AM
Good bet actually. I'll cheer West Ham on so. The win against Wolves looks a lot better after midweek.

Denis The Red
22/08/2009, 6:09 PM
I like the look of this Vermaelen. I think he'll be a decent player for Arsenal.

briancool21
23/08/2009, 4:56 PM
Vermaelen could turn out to be our Vidic/Skirtel/Terry a defender that can.....DEFEND

Stuttgart88
13/09/2009, 11:05 AM
Very unlucky in last 2 games, albeit with an element of self-destruct.

If you watch the replays, you'll see Richards was a yard offside when Barry took the free that led to the first goal. In fact it was exactly the same as the goal Arsenal righltly had disallowed late at OT.

Adebayor should have had a straight red (Van Persie too maybe for the original tackle) and then he goes on to win the game.

As an Irish Arsenal fan it galls me to watch Given play superbly while Almunia still fails to look commanding.

Tets, if you're reading, what did you think? City played on the break well but I thought they got the rub of the green. Arsenal could have won that game by 2 goals and nobody would have said it was unfair.

coast boy
13/09/2009, 6:05 PM
City played on the break well but I thought they got the rub of the green. Arsenal could have won that game by 2 goals and nobody would have said it was unfair.[/QUOTE]

Its the same old arsenal really. Play great and give away stupid goals. Looks like we're gonna struggle to stay in top four.

shakermaker1982
13/09/2009, 8:53 PM
if Arsenal had a prime Patrick Viera in the centre of midfield they would be one hell of a team. Beautiful team to watch but they lack bite. They can be roughed up by the likes of Bolton/Blackburn/Stoke and will continue to drop points in games they should win until they get in some kind of enforcer. If you let them play they can destory you but the rough stuff does seem to unsettle them. Man Utd have Fletcher, Liverpool have Masha and Chelsea have Essien for those games which requires the sleeves to be rolled up on a miserable cold wet December afternoon. Bendtner is the other weak link. I don't know what Wenger sees in him but who am I to criticise a world class manager?!