PDA

View Full Version : Supporting the team

Pages : [1] 2

sligored
13/07/2009, 11:23 PM
its lucky for the bitored - terrible season so far and the only players that can hold their heads high are boco raf brush and keane. imo we need to compete in a cup and avoid relegation. ventre trys hard but is a liability. peers is indispensible-time for cookie to pull out the stops(if he can). we can finish mid table and win a cup if the luck falls our way. Last night was a horror show. tough cup draw but derry are nothing special

Well Red
14/07/2009, 8:49 AM
its lucky for the bitored - terrible season so far and the only players that can hold their heads high are boco raf brush and keane. imo we need to compete in a cup and avoid relegation. ventre trys hard but is a liability. peers is indispensible-time for cookie to pull out the stops(if he can). we can finish mid table and win a cup if the luck falls our way. Last night was a horror show. tough cup draw but derry are nothing special

Your heading "Cork gone and Bohs to follow" seemed like a financial heading and with the exception of Shams can anyone name a club that does not face huge money problems and it is unlikely that the league will finish without some casualties just hope we are not one of them but unless we all get behind the club in these tough times is will be difficult to survive. We need to get out to the games no matter how bad things are on the pitch, we must continue to support the fund raising and for God sake lets not go down the road of abusing some players at matches. Delighted we got Derry in the Showgrounds, with a few of the lads back we have a good chance, forget last Sundays game the team were jaded.
From now on is the time we can save the club, no using appealing to the fans with a month of the season to go. A few wins would turn the season around and lets be honest apart from Cups we are fighting to stay in the top devision.

dublinred
14/07/2009, 10:28 AM
Derry are "All-in" tonight as well its progress in Europe or bust for them worrying times if we can finish one place above bottom and manage to stay afloat should be sound for premier division next year and then take a look at our model because it looks like we are going to need cheaper players going forward.

rovers100%
14/07/2009, 10:52 AM
we need some quality signings its very simple.i cant see micky mac coming back from the gaa so we need to look elsewhere. cookie needs to show he can sign some quality. in fairness to sean connors he knew a good player. some of cooks signings are questionable plus a few dead wood at the club. paying butler (good player, nice lad) for a year after injuring himself, out of his own stupidity is madness. he may never come back as the player he was. cash isnt good enough, richie ryan is one dimensional and too slow, holmes is a finn harps standard defender who lets defenders in behind him too often. thank god doherty gone biggest waste of all. we dont have a natural goal scorer (maybe new signings will prove one) we badly need a centre back and our wingers wont work. put boco rb and morrison right wing as they compliment each other. raf out the left as he will do a great job anywhere and switch keane to cb (may or may not work as looked shaky there so far)

SligoBrewer
14/07/2009, 10:59 AM
we are going to need cheaper players going forward.

Please, never use that turn of phrase again. It's Fianna Fáil propaganda speak that means nothing, and football is where I take refuge from this country's shortcomings.

red bellied
14/07/2009, 11:24 AM
Its obvious the league over all cant sustain full time status and Rovers should go back to this next season. A daft two week break in the middle of the season doesnt help.

With the legends match gone up the spout and Setanta also more than likely not going to happen, money is going to be tight.

Dodge
14/07/2009, 11:26 AM
Please, never use that turn of phrase again. It's Fianna Fáil propaganda speak that means nothing, and football is where I take refuge from this country's shortcomings.

In fairness it was very much a US phrase initially

back on topic...

Nah Nah Nah Nah
14/07/2009, 11:42 AM
we need some quality signings its very simple.i cant see micky mac coming back from the gaa so we need to look elsewhere. cookie needs to show he can sign some quality. in fairness to sean connors he knew a good player. some of cooks signings are questionable plus a few dead wood at the club. paying butler (good player, nice lad) for a year after injuring himself, out of his own stupidity is madness. he may never come back as the player he was. cash isnt good enough, richie ryan is one dimensional and too slow, holmes is a finn harps standard defender who lets defenders in behind him too often. thank god doherty gone biggest waste of all. we dont have a natural goal scorer (maybe new signings will prove one) we badly need a centre back and our wingers wont work. put boco rb and morrison right wing as they compliment each other. raf out the left as he will do a great job anywhere and switch keane to cb (may or may not work as looked shaky there so far)

So how many players exactly do you want us to sign?

rovers100%
14/07/2009, 11:55 AM
So how many players exactly do you want us to sign?

so what do you propose, stick to whats not working !!! tell me the solution i would be delighted to hear it. we need a centre back and a new midfielder and we will prob have to let players go financially to do that. do you think paying butler for a year is fair out of his idiotic actions. if that happened any of us at work would we be as accomodated ???

avvenalaf
14/07/2009, 12:42 PM
In fairness it was very much a US phrase initially

back on topic...

Brewer, if you back me in the removal of in fairness (condescending Cork expression) I will hold anyone down while you bludgeon them for the use of going forward. Let us start the cleansing of our board of these blots on our linguistic landscape and I nominate you for the Presidency of the newly formed TPA (Talk Properly Alliance)

d rovers
14/07/2009, 1:19 PM
Brewer, if you back me in the removal of in fairness (condescending Cork expression) I will hold anyone down while you bludgeon them for the use of going forward. Let us start the cleansing of our board of these blots on our linguistic landscape and I nominate you for the Presidency of the newly formed TPA (Talk Properly Alliance)

in fairness lads, a list of phrases that shouldn't be used would be most helpful, going forward.

Rovers fan
14/07/2009, 2:10 PM

In fairness, with such a tight budget, signings are going to be a little bit and miss. keane has been a good signing, morrison despite his lack of effort has still contributed a lot, then you look at players like boco, butler etc. Also, weren't a lot of Connor's signings recommendations from Gerry Cassidy?

Butler had a contract so there wasn't much we could do.

We don't have a natural goal-scorer, but nor do most of the teams around us. Cork (arguably they have behan), Drogheda, Bray, Pats (considering quigley is injured), Dundalk, Galway, - none of these sides have a natural goal scorer. Plus, raf has 11 goals (I think) this season which isn't bad. Allied to that, we have signed Blinkhorn who could fit the bill.

I agree with the last bit in bold. But the only reason we don't have centre halfs is down to injuries.

avvenalaf
14/07/2009, 4:04 PM
in fairness, with such a tight budget, signings are going to be a little bit and miss. Keane has been a good signing, morrison despite his lack of effort has still contributed a lot, then you look at players like boco, butler etc. Also, weren't a lot of connor's signings recommendations from gerry cassidy?

Butler had a contract so there wasn't much we could do.

We don't have a natural goal-scorer, but nor do most of the teams around us. Cork (arguably they have behan), drogheda, bray, pats (considering quigley is injured), dundalk, galway, - none of these sides have a natural goal scorer. Plus, raf has 11 goals (i think) this season which isn't bad. Allied to that, we have signed blinkhorn who could fit the bill.

I agree with the last bit in bold. But the only reason we don't have centre halfs is down to injuries.

yellow card.

rovers100%
14/07/2009, 6:29 PM
i still think more work needs to be done on our tactics, corners and free kicks. we have no variation whatsoever !!! if blinkhorn and turner turn out to a sucess it will be a major bonus as allows us to play boco and raf elsewhere plus we will have strikers who wil challenge effectivaly in the air. hopefully paul and the committee will get us in another 2 or 3 bodies. we have the basis of a good team with brush,peers,keane,boco and raf

Da Real Rover
14/07/2009, 6:44 PM
and for God sake lets not go down the road of abusing some players at matches.
With performances like the last night, thats exactly where we are going and as we are paying their wages we are fully entitled to do so.

rovers100%
14/07/2009, 7:07 PM
With performances like the last night, thats exactly where we are going and as we are paying their wages we are fully entitled to do so.

i agree to a certain extent as we cant say nothing when people not performing, they have to be let known its not good enough but then ya have the ones who do nothing more than shout abuse. i usually sit in the red stand and there is an old fella who sits near us who only shouts abuse never cheers on. now there are days is funny but times it does not help. he has a younger sidekick and last week keohane was there scapegoat. i for one thought he done well at lest he tried to beat a man and get a cross in. that does no help but for players to not even put in the effort i think we as paying fans are well entitled too !! its getting the balance right lol

Rovers fan
14/07/2009, 7:13 PM
last week keohane was there scapegoat

That's the height of stupidity (or ignorance). A young fella breaks into the team, tries his hardest (harder than anybody probably) and he gets some idiot shouting at him. Like how is abusing him gonna do any good:rolleyes:

sligofan4ever
14/07/2009, 7:22 PM
i agree to a certain extent as we cant say nothing when people not performing, they have to be let known its not good enough but then ya have the ones who do nothing more than shout abuse. i usually sit in the red stand and there is an old fella who sits near us who only shouts abuse never cheers on. now there are days is funny but times it does not help. he has a younger sidekick and last week keohane was there scapegoat. i for one thought he done well at lest he tried to beat a man and get a cross in. that does no help but for players to not even put in the effort i think we as paying fans are well entitled too !! its getting the balance right lol

I was sitting beside the same person or someone else who used Danny as a scapegoat. The match against Drogheda wasnt his greatest day in a Rovers jersey, but he made up for it against Cork as one of the better performing players and all his other performances this season. Agree with what Rovers fan said considering his age, hes only what 19/20 ? Anyone whoa ctually has some common sense and a bit of knowledge of football would know Keohane is a hot prospect with a great future ahead of him, booing someone whos only 20 really is just pathetic, who's to say he wont be a key player for us in the near future ?

rovers100%
14/07/2009, 7:41 PM
[QUOTE=rovers100%;1191758]but your dealing with people who have not a clue when comes too football, that old fella followed football when it was 11 v 11 kicking lumps outta each other and hoofing the ball upfield. the young fella with him(bout 30 with smig) has not a clue bout football my friend beside me actually turned around to them and told them shut the fcuk up if they hadnt anything good to say. ya have a small % who just shout at games and nothing more. i remember one week richie was brutakl in fairness but the old boy had cookies head bursted with roaring to take him off (it was funny tho)

Rovers1
14/07/2009, 7:44 PM
I know who yer talkin about R100%. He's been like that all his life. He's put his foot in it a few times too.:D

A gentleman outside The Showgies though.

dong
14/07/2009, 7:46 PM

And how exactly will that help? The answer is it won't. It's an idiotic attitude like this from fans that will see us going down for sure.

sligofan4ever
14/07/2009, 7:47 PM
And how exactly will that help? The answer is it won't. It's an idiotic attitude like this from fans that will see us going down for sure.

Agreed 100% Dong, a negative atmosphere leads to a negative performance.

rovers100%
14/07/2009, 7:51 PM
oh i dont doubt he is a nice man belive me i love listening to him i think its hilarious :D but he other day against keohane he was talking outta his arse but not just him im on about there are a few fans like him and they only shout when abusing. im just highlighting some rant for the buzz of it but im not against giving a players a peice of your mind when deserved. we cant wrap footballers in cotton woll they are big boys and they will know themselves if the abuse is deserved. ya get giving out at work if ya not doing stuff right. i think fans forget a footballers job is to perform when out on that grass field !!!

Well Red
14/07/2009, 7:54 PM

The team came back from Europe shattered as did most of the supporters that were there! and you think its ok to abuse the team. If you think that attitude is going to keep us in the top division then you are way off the mark. Thankfully most of the guys who turn up at matches home and away are fully behind the team. We have a lot of matches Cup etc coming up so lets give it a lash and forget the negative stuff, that is not to say we cannot comment here on individual players but not at matches.
Come on the BOR

CarrickFan
14/07/2009, 8:45 PM
The team came back from Europe shattered as did most of the supporters that were there! and you think its ok to abuse the team. If you think that attitude is going to keep us in the top division then you are way off the mark. Thankfully most of the guys who turn up at matches home and away are fully behind the team. We have a lot of matches Cup etc coming up so lets give it a lash and forget the negative stuff, that is not to say we cannot comment here on individual players but not at matches.
Come on the BOR

Agreed...dont see the point in going to matches and abusing the lads!!...thats why we are called SUPPORTERS....personally when times are tough and results are bad it makes me even more determined to back the team..hope most of ye do the same..roll on Friday

Guts&Glory
14/07/2009, 10:41 PM
Come on the BOR

So you are saying its OK to criticise the players on here 7 days a week but not pass comment at the Showgies.

You gotta remember the lads can read the comments here all week - neither action can be claimed to support the team as both actions are focused on criticising the players.

Over the last two week Holmes, Ryan, Morrison, Cash, Doherty, Ventre and Keohane have all been heavily criticised in writing on this forum (others to a lesser extent).

There is no way anyone can claim that would not affect the players if they are regular visitors to the site and readers of the posts.

There are plenty of knockers of the team, club and league in the town and country - there is no need for Rovers supporters to join that crew.

We are all part of the Rovers family - now lets support our brothers when they most need us.

CarrickFan
14/07/2009, 10:45 PM
So you are saying its OK to criticise the players on here 7 days a week but not pass comment at the Showgies.

You gotta remember the lads can read the comments here all week - neither action can be claimed to support the team as both actions are focused on criticising the players.

Over the last two week Holmes, Ryan, Morrison, Cash, Doherty, Ventre and Keohane have all been heavily criticised in writing on this forum (others to a lesser extent).

There is no way anyone can claim that would not affect the players if they are regular visitors to the site and readers of the posts.

There are plenty of knockers of the team, club and league in the town and country - there is no need for Rovers supporters to join that crew.

We are all part of the Rovers family - now lets support our brothers when they most need us.

agreed...now is a time yo back the lads..starting in Tallaght on Friday......on the other point..do people really think the players would bother reading this site??..i cant see it..maybe im wrong.

dong
15/07/2009, 12:32 AM
agreed...now is a time yo back the lads..starting in Tallaght on Friday......on the other point..do people really think the players would bother reading this site??..i cant see it..maybe im wrong.

I'd say you're right. In any case they have a choice whether to read this or not. They don't, on the other hand, have any choice but to listen to the guy screaming abuse at them from twenty yards away.
I'm not saying that fans shouldn't vent their frustrations from time to time during games. It's the constant picking away throughout that isn't on.

red_away
15/07/2009, 12:39 PM
Harranging and booing of your own team only means shattering whatever confidence the team may have left - get behind the team or SHUT UP!!!! (if you are a real fan).....yes technically you have paid your money and it is your right to shout whatever you want but if you want to see and improvement then being negative will achieve the opposite!!!!

C'mon da BITORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

gustavo
15/07/2009, 12:58 PM
I think the clue is in the word supporter , You're there to support the team and help them in their efforts to win the game , On here I think it's ok to criticize (within reason).They are professional footballers and I think it's fair to say there isn't a pro footballer across the world who hasn't faced critisism from his own fans at some stage

gustavo
15/07/2009, 1:00 PM
I was sitting beside the same person or someone else who used Danny as a scapegoat. The match against Drogheda wasnt his greatest day in a Rovers jersey, but he made up for it against Cork as one of the better performing players and all his other performances this season. Agree with what Rovers fan said considering his age, hes only what 19/20 ? Anyone whoa ctually has some common sense and a bit of knowledge of football would know Keohane is a hot prospect with a great future ahead of him, booing someone whos only 20 really is just pathetic, who's to say he wont be a key player for us in the near future ?

I think this person is probably an exception , I think most Rovers fans would give young players a little more leeway and try to encourage them as much as possible

dublinred
15/07/2009, 1:31 PM

I think we should double glaze a section of the red stand and stick all the moaners in there we have to bring the young players through this year and they need encouragement to give them a bit of confidence.

roversman
15/07/2009, 2:50 PM
we have to bring the young players through this year and they need encouragement to give them a bit of confidence.

what young players we dont have too many of them

Da Real Rover
15/07/2009, 3:29 PM
Ridiculous.
Sometimes telling your players to pull their finger out is exactly what they need after a performace like that the last night.
Cheering your team on after that total lack of effort by so many players breaths the acceptance of mediocrity and is the perfect comfort zone for a team that is sinking like a rock to relegation.
Some fans would want to take their head out of their arse and realise that cheering on a team that has the likes of Cash and Ryan and Holmes who are totally under performing is counter productive as you are supporting performances that will get us relegated.
I remember actually talking to Paul Cookes brother in Albania about this and he was even saying that Paul doesnt want fans cheering off the team after playing 90 minutes of utter crap, so make of that what you will.
Theres a time for the carrot and theres a time for the stick and that Cork game was most definetly not a time for the carrot.
Some fans here will still be cheering on mediocrity and total lack of commitment when we are relegated and still be stating that "we are too good to go down".
I will support and sing on effort and commitment, its why I admire players like Raf and Ventre (who gets far too much stick on this forum), but theres not a snowballs chance in hell ill sing on that **** poor performance last night.

Da Real Rover
15/07/2009, 3:34 PM
The team came back from Europe shattered as did most of the supporters that were there!
Yes I was there myself dear.

and you think its ok to abuse the team.
You do realise we havent won a league game in a month and a half?

If you think that attitude is going to keep us in the top division then you are way off the mark.
As is your opinion, mine differs.

Thankfully most of the guys who turn up at matches home and away are fully behind the team.
If you want to cheer on that muck its your perogative, but not mine.
To ask for commitment and drive isnt too much to ask for, thats all I want.

We have a lot of matches Cup etc coming up so lets give it a lash and forget the negative stuff,
Forget the fact we are second from bottom by just 3 points?

that is not to say we cannot comment here on individual players but not at matches.
Well thats just hypocricy.

CarrickFan
15/07/2009, 3:34 PM
I think we should double glaze a section of the red stand and stick all the moaners in there we have to bring the young players through this year and they need encouragement to give them a bit of confidence.

Perfect:)

CarrickFan
15/07/2009, 3:51 PM
Ridiculous.
Sometimes telling your players to pull their finger out is exactly what they need after a performace like that the last night.
Cheering your team on after that total lack of effort by so many players breaths the acceptance of mediocrity and is the perfect comfort zone for a team that is sinking like a rock to relegation.
Some fans would want to take their head out of their arse and realise that cheering on a team that has the likes of Cash and Ryan and Holmes who are totally under performing is counter productive as you are supporting performances that will get us relegated.
I remember actually talking to Paul Cookes brother in Albania about this and he was even saying that Paul doesnt want fans cheering off the team after playing 90 minutes of utter crap, so make of that what you will.
Theres a time for the carrot and theres a time for the stick and that Cork game was most definetly not a time for the carrot.
Some fans here will still be cheering on mediocrity and total lack of commitment when we are relegated and still be stating that "we are too good to go down".
I will support and sing on effort and commitment, its why I admire players like Raf and Ventre (who gets far too much stick on this forum), but theres not a snowballs chance in hell ill sing on that **** poor performance last night.

i take alot of your points RealRover..thats the good thing about this site..reading other peoples point of view can open your mind...personally as i've said before i'll stick to supporting the lads but understand your point of view...its funny to how people who watch the same matches have different views on players!!..like you i agree that Raf and i'd add Keane and Bocu show great commitment and effort i also agree the likes of Cash and Doherty dont seem to do the same but i actually think Ryan is a tidy footballer and while he hasnt been UNREAL or anything i quite like him..also think alot of the praise Ventre gets is a bit misguided,continous stupid red cards should'nt be confused with "effort and commitment"...he's not much use to us in Tallaght(or whatever match he misses) in the stands..we were 3 down when he got sent off..what was the point??..if you look back at any of my previous posts i dont criticise players but i think that has to be said.

The Midget Gem
15/07/2009, 4:10 PM
Ridiculous.
I agree with you 100%! Great post!

Rovers1
15/07/2009, 4:16 PM
The team had just played 90 minutes in a climate they were'nt used to at all, on a heavy pitch, where, even lifting your legs to run tires you out, mentally it takes alot of you too. Even ourselves in the stands were wrecked after ten minutes of singing. Imagine what it was like for them! And they did, apart from one or two, give everything in that game. They go back to Sligo Sat morning at 2am or so, then had one day of rest before playing Cork, who hadnt palyed since the Tuesday.

On the other hand, most of them are professional footballers and are paid to deal with these pressures, plus Cork afaik travelled to Sligo Sunday morning, so they wouldnt have been too fresh themselves.

End of the day, we should have been better, but whats done is done. Lets get a decent crowd up at Tallaght and get behind them. The Cork game was three days ago. Forget about it.

avvenalaf
15/07/2009, 6:00 PM
Even ourselves in the stands were wrecked after ten minutes of singing. Imagine what it was like for them!

I can well imagine - I have heard you singing.

avvenalaf
15/07/2009, 6:01 PM
DaRealRover - I'm not sure you want to hear this but I agree with your post 100%.

Rovers1
15/07/2009, 6:04 PM
Even ourselves in the stands were wrecked after ten minutes of singing. Imagine what it was like for them!

I can well imagine - I have heard you singing.

I do try my best;)

Da Real Rover
15/07/2009, 6:06 PM
Maybe I am being too harsh on certain players and the like but tbh im sick of hearing excuses all season.
We havent won a league game in a month and a half and at this stage all I want is to see some points on the table.

Rovers fan
15/07/2009, 6:28 PM
DaRealRover - I'm not sure you want to hear this but I agree with your post 100%.

I'm not sure anyone wants to hear what you post in general...

avvenalaf
15/07/2009, 8:37 PM

Ah, bless.

Da Real Rover
15/07/2009, 9:42 PM
He beats the UCD fans on this and their motley crew of condescending internet warriors bred with copious amounts of sarcasm to ravage the cyber world.
Keep the flag flying avvenalaf. :)

Guts&Glory
15/07/2009, 11:05 PM
Cookie and Gerry Carr are more than capable of pointing out to the players where they need to buck up their ideas.

Cookie tore them a new one after the first Europa game by all accounts and has gone on record at different times over the season stating they werent good enough.

Fans shouting at the players is unlikely to benefit them - can anyone point out where criricism from the fans it helped improve Faz, Doherty or others over the years - it doesnt - end of.

To say its OK to criticise here but not at the game is a huge double standard.

Well Red
16/07/2009, 12:10 AM

Would you take time to properly read my post properly when I said it was not helpful to abuse the players during a match and i continued to say that naturally comments on this forum are quite acceptable, I never mentioned 7 days a week. Not sure if you ever played the game but local newspaper reports are usually fairly factual and as an ex player reading something here is much more acceptable than having stupid abuse being hurled at an individul player during a match. What you are suggesting is that we never make a comment about the team, this would be a first world wide in the game of soccer. Whats the s..t about all being brothers, we are football fans and dearly love Sligo Rovers Football Club, so dont be coming on here misrepresenting what people are saying

d rovers
16/07/2009, 10:16 AM
Cookie and Gerry Carr are more than capable of pointing out to the players where they need to buck up their ideas.

Cookie tore them a new one after the first Europa game by all accounts and has gone on record at different times over the season stating they werent good enough.
Fans shouting at the players is unlikely to benefit them - can anyone point out where criricism from the fans it helped improve Faz, Doherty or others over the years - it doesnt - end of.

I was at the back of the main stand & Cookie tore them a new one at half time in the first leg! To say he was not happy is a major understatement.

Our league position is a worry at the moment but I have faith that Cookie & Carr will turn things around for us.

Shouting abuse at the players doesn't help things. Some of the crowd in the main stand at the Europa home game were a disgrace. We didn't play well, but some of the comments were hard to listen to. There are always a few muppets in the main stand giving out, but it seems for the big games they all come out of the woodwork. The idiots sitting behind me - i have never seen them in the Showgies before & hopefully it will be a while before they are back again.

Da Real Rover
16/07/2009, 12:08 PM
Faz and Doherty are two totally different situations.
Faz was a player of huge potential that pulled moments of brilliance out of the bag at important times in a game, often match winning performances combined with infurating spells of lack lustre motivation. Indeed it was frustrating to watch but I never abused Faz for that because in the end of the day he pulled it out fo the bag when it mattered.
As for Doherty, that is totally different, he has never performed for us, and tbh I cant think of one match winning performance he has had for us, hes been complete mediocrity since he came and a constant weak link in the team.
So to come to the point, your own example contradicts itself, since both Faz and Doherty got stick but one performed the other didnt. I dont think anyone is claiming it will "help" a palyer, more give them a much needed boot up the arse when they seem to think that respectable losses are acceptable when we are in the middle of a relegation battle.

Spot on.