PDA

View Full Version : International Friendlies

the doc
12/07/2009, 1:12 PM
Does anyone on here know who gets priority of a player, club or national team, if there is a clash of dates between the clubs and International teams games.

Preston play on the 11th August, and should St Ledger be selected for Ireland for their friendly on the 12th August then what would happen?

eirebhoy
12/07/2009, 1:19 PM
You sure Preston play on the 11th? They wouldn't usually clash Championship with Internationals.

/edit, ah it's the Carling Cup. Can't answer your question I'll leave it to someone else.

Crosby87
12/07/2009, 1:23 PM
I dont think a club that pays a salary would accept the player missing for a friendly but thats just me. Definitely does not sound like something they would allow. Essentially you would be telling your boss you cant work that day b/c you have something else to do of less importance....at least to your boss...

I thought FIFA only lets you schedule friendlies when you are free, dont they have an official calender so this does not occur?

theworm2345
12/07/2009, 4:08 PM
FIFA has specific dates that they set aside for internationals and World Cup Qualifiers are on these dates. Clubs are required to release players for these matches no matter what type of match they are (though clubs make up injuries sometimes).

FIFA-recognized matches can be played on non-FIFA dates, but clubs dont have to release players for these.

EDIT: Here's a calendar
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendar&live/51/52/61/internationalmc-fifa-dates-2008-2014-updatemay2008-en.pdf

Greenforever
12/07/2009, 4:52 PM
Does anyone on here know who gets priority of a player, club or national team, if there is a clash of dates between the clubs and International teams games.

Preston play on the 11th August, and should St Ledger be selected for Ireland for their friendly on the 12th August then what would happen?

Ireland have first call, you won't find any premiership fixtures clashing with international dates (with the possible exception of rearranged matches at the end of the season, cup replays etc) however Championship sides generally wont have too many internationals and therefore are more likely to clash.

tetsujin1979
12/07/2009, 8:32 PM
I think if there's a number of players called up for international duty, then the game is rescheduled.

Dodge
12/07/2009, 8:56 PM
In England, a team has to have 3 players called up for international duty to have a game re-scheduled.

In Ireland, its one.

irishfan86
13/07/2009, 5:07 AM
In England, a team has to have 3 players called up for international duty to have a game re-scheduled.

In Ireland, its one.

Interestingly enough, the reality is that Preston only have 3 active international players (currently), and they're all Irish.

While they do have players in their squad who have been capped years ago, the only 3 potential call-ups are St. Ledger, Eddie Nolan, and Wayne Henderson, so all of them will need to be called up in order for the game to be rescheduled.

As Preston are playing Morecambe though, I'm sure Preston wouldn't be too upset if 1 or 2 of the players went anyway.

elroy
13/07/2009, 8:51 AM
What are the chances St Ledger wont be a Preston player by then?

the doc
13/07/2009, 9:46 AM
What are the chances St Ledger wont be a Preston player by then?

Depends if Celtic can agree a fee, from what I've heard Preston want 5m, but Celtic only want to pay 2.5m plus 2m in add ons.