PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Europa League 2009/10

Pages : [1] 2

HarpoJoyce
12/07/2009, 12:27 PM
The inaugral UEFA Europa League kicked off at the beginning of July. I was lucky enough to see a second-leg game Renova v. Dinamo Minsk in Skopje. The Gradski Stadium is coming along nicely, they were still working on it the day of the game. Macedonia Skopje play there ion the next round, I hope it gets alot of use.

Minsk went through with a fortunate penalty equaliser, their defence was very square for Renova's 8th minute goal.

I was thinking of going to either Rapid Wien and Vllaznia or Strum of Graz and Siroki Brijeg next week. Kinda all those clubs are a little bit romantic for me.
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/fixturesresults/round=2000034/index.html

DeLorean
06/08/2009, 4:18 PM
Well Holy God...

St.Pat's through on away goals (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0806/stpats.html)

Closed Account 2
06/08/2009, 7:56 PM
That's a massive, massive result, Krylya Sovetov are a strong side with the likes of Koller, Jarosik, Adamov and Shishkin. Mid-table in the Russian League.

Closed Account 2
06/08/2009, 9:47 PM
Crvena Zvezda score an 88th min goal to win 5-2 on the night and go through 5-4 on the night, FK Sarajevo beat (van) Helsingborg of Sweden 5-4 on penalties after both legs end 2-1 to home teams.

DeLorean
07/08/2009, 11:53 AM
Draw hasn't been finalised yet but St. Pat's will meet one of the following:

FC Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS)
FC Steaua Bucuresti (ROU)
AC Sparta Praha (CZE)
Aston Villa FC (ENG)
Odense BK (DEN)

Hopefully Villa. They might fancy Zenit after their Russian exploits. Odense would be the most disappointing draw but possibly the one where they might have the best chance of progress.

back of the net
07/08/2009, 12:12 PM
Steau Bucharest vs St Pats

DeLorean
07/08/2009, 12:19 PM
Steau Bucharest vs St Pats

Glamorous enough I suppose.

irishultra
07/08/2009, 12:30 PM
terrible pot to get. all the teams are boring.

DeLorean
07/08/2009, 12:32 PM

Villa would have been a huge attraction to be fair. Zenit for their achievements two yrs ago but Steaua are a bigger name.

DeLorean
07/08/2009, 12:40 PM
Europa League Playoff Draw In Full (http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/news/kind=1/newsid=870211.html)

lionelhutz
07/08/2009, 12:57 PM

Am I missing something here? Would it not be best that St. Pats draw a team that they are capable of beating?

Cause if they did manage to go through they would be in the group stages, an unprecedented achievement for an Irish side.

DeLorean
07/08/2009, 1:19 PM
Am I missing something here? Would it not be best that St. Pats draw a team that they are capable of beating?

Yeah but to be honest with the exception of Odense they wouldn't look to have had much hope against any of the teams, so a glamour fixture would have been nice.

superfrank
07/08/2009, 3:19 PM
Odense beat them 5-0 only two years ago.

There are no easy ties for them at this stage but I'm sure Kryla Sovetov may have seem daunting as well.

Closed Account 2
07/08/2009, 6:03 PM
Steaua are a good enough side, but I wouldnt say they are stronger than Krylya Sovetov. Banel Nicolita, a pacey wing back who is sometimes pushed into midfield is by far and away their best player now*. Ovidu Petre, defensive midfielder with a great ranger of passing, is a handy player too if he's given time on the ball he could hurt Pats.

* - Nicolae Dorin Goian, the classy center back has just left Steaua for Palermo in Italy yesterday, which is great news for St. Pats as he led the line and marshalled the defence he was a huge threat from set pieces too. Mirel Radoi, another quality center back left for the middle east in January, which messed up Steaua in the second half of the liga. There could be all sorts of potential for mix-ups in the short term now. Nicolae Dica, an attacking gem of a player also left this time last year for Italy and they are not the team they were a few years ago. Indeed the balance of power has seemingly shifted away from Bucharest to the regions now (like Cluj, Timshoara and Satu Mare).

Infadel
20/08/2009, 8:53 PM
Bremen and Aktobe of Kazakhstan played out a 6-3 thriller just there.

sligoman
20/08/2009, 9:12 PM
Saw the 3rd & 4th goal in the Everton game, good strikes by Rodwell & Saha. Good win for them.

superfrank
20/08/2009, 9:26 PM
Bremen and Aktobe of Kazakhstan played out a 6-3 thriller just there.
Watched that game.

The defending from both sides was atrocious. I think six of the goals were from set pieces, including a cracking free each.

It was funny to watch cos the German media were calling Aktobe nobodies and saying it'd be 10-0 to Werder.

I've a sneaking feeling Aktobe could actually win this tie. They only need three goals and they already did that in the first leg. Also, the long trip, heat and atmosphere could be a big challenge for Werder.

I also caught the last half hour of Guingamp Hamburg. Hamburg strolled it but they were pretty shaky at the back. At 5-0 up they conceded an own goal from a harmless cross and their keeper Hesl (think he's not first choice, I would've thought Rost is) looked a bit edgy for the whole thirty minutes I saw.

RonnieB
20/08/2009, 9:44 PM
Can anyone shed some light on what happened in the other match tonight in Bucarest? Dinamo were loosing 2-0 to Liberec in the 85th minute then game abandoned?!

TheBoss
20/08/2009, 11:07 PM
Here is what goal.com says

Dinamo Bucharest fell two goals down at home to Slovan Liberec, the second goal coming from Jan Blazek six minutes from time. Infuriated home fans invaded the running track around the pitch, leading Austrian referee Thomas Einwaller to abandon the match with two minutes left. Expulsion from European competition for up to three years could follow; even if this penalty is not applied, the Red Dogs' Europa League season is almost certainly over.

OwlsFan
02/10/2009, 9:32 AM
Saw much of the Celtic vs Rapid Vienna game. Celtic perhaps should have won on the basis of chances created but were lucky not to give away a peno in the second half. I suspect the ref didn't give it because he originally had broken down a Celtic move by getting in the way of the ball. McGeady was pretty much marked out of the game. 1 point out of 4. Not looking good.

Nice win for Lazio in Sofia and another win for Everton. If they concentrate on this tournament, they could go far.

Junior
02/10/2009, 11:44 AM
Saw much of the Celtic vs Rapid Vienna game. Celtic perhaps should have won on the basis of chances created but were lucky not to give away a peno in the second half. I suspect the ref didn't give it because he originally had broken down a Celtic move by getting in the way of the ball. McGeady was pretty much marked out of the game. 1 point out of 4. Not looking good.
Nice win for Lazio in Sofia and another win for Everton. If they concentrate on this tournament, they could go far.

Its 1 out of 6 and its been a dissappointing start in european competition under Mowbray

3 home games 1 draw, 2 defeats.
3 away games 1 win and 2 defeats.

ok 2 games against Arsenal but home form is starting to become worrying as well as away form!!

DeLorean
02/10/2009, 11:56 AM
Its 1 out of 6 and its been a dissappointing start in european competition under Mowbray

3 home games 1 draw, 2 defeats.
3 away games 1 win and 2 defeats.

ok 2 games against Arsenal but home form is starting to become worrying as well as away form!!

Exactly. Home form has been their trump card, although when they reached the Final of the competition, their away results were more impressive. They should have won last night but their passing was terrible. That Fox was very frustrating and I don't really rate Moloney, promises more than he delivers more often than not.

OwlsFan
09/11/2009, 10:10 AM
Rangers vs Celtic?

http://files.stv.tv/img/articles/135231-celtic-greeted-with-no-surrender-banner-in-hamburg-410x230.jpg

No, Hamburg vs Celtic. Germans showing a "no surrender" flag. Hmmm, they seem to have forgotton Stalingrad and Berlin!

HarpoJoyce
20/11/2009, 4:48 PM
Dinamo Zagreb got their 3 points back from the UEFA Appeals Board after they were punished when there were serious crowd disturbances at Timisoara. But receive a 3 year ban from Europe suspended and have to play behind close doors for Ajax and Politechnica Timisoara.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=512/newsid=922169.html?cid=rssfeed&att=index

Timisoara is a chill out town with a few nice painted squares and some parkland on the way to the Stadium, no reason to be abusive.

Closed Account 2
21/11/2009, 1:14 AM
Rangers vs Celtic?

http://files.stv.tv/img/articles/135231-celtic-greeted-with-no-surrender-banner-in-hamburg-410x230.jpg

No, Hamburg vs Celtic. Germans showing a "no surrender" flag. Hmmm, they seem to have forgotton Stalingrad and Berlin!

One wonders if they remember the 50,000 odd who died in the Hamburg Firestorm too... Flying a Union Jack is just bizzare.

Schumi
21/11/2009, 12:24 PM
Flying a Union Jack is just bizzare.

Not really, it's just to wind up the Celtic fans. They'd have a tricolour up as quick if they were playing Rangers I'd say. I thought it was quite funny.

Closed Account 2
21/11/2009, 3:12 PM
Isn't there some sort of "alliance" between Rangers and HSV and Celtic and St. Pauli (the second team in Hamburg) ? I thought that was the case anyway ? If it was I would imagine they would not display the tricolour.

Schumi
21/11/2009, 6:35 PM
I didn't realise that, that may well be why so. I wouldn't have thought that was too bizarre then though.

irishultra
22/11/2009, 4:48 PM
thats crazy. they're northern germans i think tho, i heard up there they try to act british what ever that is.

Closed Account 2
22/11/2009, 4:56 PM
I think they associate themselves with the right wing, and St Pauli associate themselves with the left wing (as do Werder Bremen who are probably the bigger rivals). The only other link I can think of is Jorg Albertz

Junior
26/11/2009, 8:39 AM
Yeah Celtic do have a strong link with St. Pauli (Reeperbahn district in Hamburg) that goes back Id say 15-20 years. St. Pauli are very much the Working Class, Lefties team in Hamburg (They have a big Punk and Anti facist influence as well). A Great active support who are very vocal in the running of their club. There is an annual Celtic / St Pauli Weekend in Hamburg with bands on and general frivolity. Regularly at Celtic Park you will see St Pauli fans visiting for run of the mill SPL games and also they are an ever present at Celtic away games in Europe.

As you would then probably expect Rangers do have a link with Hamburger HSV - Im not sure if that was a natural progression from the Celtic/St Pauli link or if it started earlier. There is a Hamburg Supporters Club in Glasgow linked to Rangers fans.

There was some trouble in Glasgow at the recent Celtic v Hamburg game, no doubt a few Rangers fans (though theyve have you believe it was Chelsea fans trying to sully their good name!) got in to the mix as well.

As for the Blue/Black/White Union Jack I think that has been around for a good while (not just for this recent game). I went to hamburg in '96 when Celtic played them in the UEFA Cup and Im sure that it was evident then - pretty hostile and intimidating atmosphere - they do have a vocal and visible far right element.

EDIT: From Wiki. Looks like the Rangers/Hamburg affinity goes back further if wiki is to be believed

HSV shares a cross-town rivalry with FC St. Pauli and to the other big club of northern Germany: Werder Bremen.[citation needed] HSV have an affinity with Scottish Club Rangers. HSV fans unfurl their club logo at Rangers away European matches. The link between Rangers and Hamburg dates back to the early 1970s when the Hamburg Rangers Supporters Club was set up by Rangers fans who had relocated to the Hamburg-area. The links were further strengthened when Rangers signed Jörg Albertz from Hamburg, but this was not the start of it. A further point which reinforces the affinity is the link between St Pauli and Celtic, main rivals of HSV and Rangers, respectively

OwlsFan
03/12/2009, 5:52 PM
The highest crowds by some distance last night were both in the same group, namely at Celtic and Rangers, sorry I mean Hamburg.

This tournament just hasn't captured the imagination. The Uefa Cup/Fairs Cup/Cup Winners Cup whatever I am sure had more interest. I laugh when I hear the likes of Hodgson and other English managers talk up qualifying for Europe and then they mostly field reserve sides.

Junior
04/12/2009, 8:05 PM
Yep 35k at Celtic Park - Not bad considering how poorly we have played in the preceeding games within the tournament, the current economic situation and with Christmas just round the corner. Having said that - it would have been close on 60k if we were playing in the CL, so if that is anything to go by you are right, its some way off the flagship tournament!

HarpoJoyce
05/12/2009, 11:43 AM
Dynamic Comeback Kids #1
Dynamo Zagreb and their rude fans were winning in Timisoara but that didn't stop them causing a problem inside and around the town. Initially, UEFA docked them 3 points but on apeal the three points were returned, but were fined and received a suspended ban.
They went to Anderlecht, the group leaders, and won. And now play the worst team Politechnica Timisoara (pretty student fans mind) while Anderlecht go to Ajax of Amsterdam. Dinamo win and Anderlecht loss will put Zagreb through.

Dynamic Comeback Kids #2
Dinamo Bucharest, in a qualifying round, conceded a second goal in the last five minutes against Slovan Liberec to go two-nil down in the Dinamo Stadium. Home fans caused a distrubance preventing the game to continue. UEFA punished the club with a 0-3 result in favour of Liberec. Dinamo won the 2nd leg 3-0 and went on to win the tie on penalties.
Losing at home 0-1 to Panathinaikos, they weer awarded a 90th minute penalty, but it was saved.
In their last group game they were losing at home to a poor Strum Graz side, equalised in the first half and had a midfielder sent off a minute later. Dinamo went on to win the game 2-1.
They now travel to Athens and need to get three points and a better agg. then 0-1 from the first game, to go through.

briancool21
05/12/2009, 12:56 PM
Feel sorry for Celtic how bad the'yve gotten the win they got the other night against hapoel was treated like a big thing even though there out by a long way

Junior
09/12/2009, 8:43 AM
Feel sorry for Celtic how bad the'yve gotten the win they got the other night against hapoel was treated like a big thing even though there out by a long way

Treated like a big thing by whom? Not Celtic fans thats for sure. The Manager? well hes not going to say anything too negative about our first home win in the tournament but he certainly didnt go overboard. TV coverage - well they tried to put a positive spin on it but they didnt hide the fact that Celtics European campaign went with a whimper really.

This season has been written off as Mowbrays 'building' season by the fans(certainly as regards Europe). Obvioulsy the league is still a must win, particularly with Rangers in their current state.

holidaysong
17/12/2009, 9:14 PM
I was just watching the Europa League on Channel 5 there and one of the pundits was saying to look out for Red Bull Salzburg - they were the only team to win all 6 of their group games in the competition. They've certainly turned a corner since they were five minutes away from going out to Bohs in the CL qualifiers!

Junior
17/12/2009, 9:29 PM
Great comeback for Celtic tonight away against Rapid Vienna. -7 degrees and snow falling we were 3-0 after 20 minutes. Came back to 3-3 with an equaliser in the 91st minute.

The team was a mixture of regulars and plenty of young squad players. It was the senior players that let us down again with Loovens (has made the Holland Squad in the past) and McManus (Scotland Captain) both rank rotten defending like school kids.

The young lads did well and from 20 minutes on Celtic were the better team. Young Niall McGinn (the Nordy) had a great game. Initially on the left flank and then on the right. He's direct, willing to take on his fullback, gets crosses in both low and in the air and is not afraid to shoot. His first half performance resulted in Viennas Right Back being subbed off after 30 minutes. Unfortunately he went off with an injury around the 75 minute mark.

McGinn was replaced by our very own U21 Graham Carey (was on loan at Bohs previously). He didnt have much time to make an impact but got on the ball a little and put in one or two crosses and had a bit of a wayward shot. Couldnt really see what he's made of from this cameo (I havent seen him play for the Irish U21's).

Willo Flood played the entire game - did ok but nothing special to be honest. It was more a case of being put in the shop window and he will surely be put out on loan come January.

OwlsFan
18/12/2009, 10:19 AM
Great comeback for Celtic tonight away against Rapid Vienna. -7 degrees and snow falling we were 3-0 after 20 minutes. Came back to 3-3 with an equaliser in the 91st minute.

The team was a mixture of regulars and plenty of young squad players. It was the senior players that let us down again with Loovens (has made the Holland Squad in the past) and McManus (Scotland Captain) both rank rotten defending like school kids.

The young lads did well and from 20 minutes on Celtic were the better team. Young Niall McGinn (the Nordy) had a great game. Initially on the left flank and then on the right. He's direct, willing to take on his fullback, gets crosses in both low and in the air and is not afraid to shoot. His first half performance resulted in Viennas Right Back being subbed off after 30 minutes. Unfortunately he went off with an injury around the 75 minute mark.

McGinn was replaced by our very own U21 Graham Carey (was on loan at Bohs previously). He didnt have much time to make an impact but got on the ball a little and put in one or two crosses and had a bit of a wayward shot. Couldnt really see what he's made of from this cameo (I havent seen him play for the Irish U21's).

Willo Flood played the entire game - did ok but nothing special to be honest. It was more a case of being put in the shop window and he will surely be put out on loan come January.

Yes, saw some of the game. Thought the young lads did quite well. Looked threatening whenever they attacked.

I wonder will Willo be shown the door in the January sales. Mowbray used this game to have a look at him and, as you say, he did ok but will it be enough?

Entertaining game.

Junior
18/12/2009, 10:53 AM
Yes, saw some of the game. Thought the young lads did quite well. Looked threatening whenever they attacked.

I wonder will Willo be shown the door in the January sales. Mowbray used this game to have a look at him and, as you say, he did ok but will it be enough?

Entertaining game.

From the quotes I put in the SPL thread - it looks as though both Flood and Mowbray think a Loan move in January will be the best move...with a view to a permanent move in the summer.

He did ok last night but nothing to make you stand up and take notice - its only one game but I think the writing is on the wall for him at Celtic.

HarpoJoyce
18/12/2009, 11:40 AM
Last 32 draw made dates 18/02/2010 and 25/02/2010

http://www.uefa.com/live/competitions/uefacup/draw/2010.R32_R16/draw_basic.html

highlights include Panathinaikos v. Roma and Ajax v. Juventus.

Last 32
1. Rubin Kazan v Hapoel Tel Aviv
2. Athletic Bilbao v Anderlecht
3. FC Kobenhavn v Marseille
4. Panathinaikos v AS Roma
5. Atletico Madrid v Galatasaray
6. Ajax v Juventus
7. Club Brugge v Valencia
8. Fulham v Shakhtar Donetsk
9. Liverpool v Unirea Urziceni
10. Hamburg v PSV Eindhoven
11. Villarreal v Wolfsburg
12. Standard Liege v Salzburg
13. Twente Enschede v Werder Bremen
14. Lille v Fenerbahce
15. Everton v Sporting
16. Hertha Berlin v Benfica

Last 16 draw
10. Hamburg/PSV v 2. A.Bilbao/Anderlecht
1. Rubin/Hapoel v 11. Villarreal/Wolfsburg
5. Atletico/Galatasaray v 15. Everton/Sporting
16.Hertha/Benfica v 3. Kobenhavn/Marseille
4. Panathinaikos/Roma v 12. Standard Liege/Salzburg
14. Lille/Fenerbahce v 9. Liverpool/Unirea
6. Ajax/Juventus v 8. Fulham/Shakhtar
7. Club Brugge/Valencia v 13. Twente/Werder Bremen

after a few edits.

KK77
18/12/2009, 2:02 PM
Nice little trip to Romania lovely stuff!

OwlsFan
12/03/2010, 5:02 PM
Looks like 3 out of the last 8 might be German clubs. Good crowds with only 3 of the eight ties dipping under 20K and two of those featured the English clubs with only 11k at Juventus!! Would be surprised if Liverpool fail to overturn the defeat by Lille but I fancy Bremen for the trophy. Probably lose to Valencia now!

Closed Account 2
14/03/2010, 2:01 AM
I think the Wolsburg Rubin match could be a very tight one, Rubin have the ability to score so as long as they get the first they could cause Wolfsburg problems. I hope Atletico go far but I fear theyve fluffed their lines by only getting a 0-0 at home when Sporting had 2 sent off (one near the start one at the very end). Does anyone think Fluham can turn it around ? 11k is probably a good turn out for Juventus on a mid-week night, so far as I'm aware they only ever sold the Delle Alpi* out once in europe (for a semi final vs Real in around 2003), I was there for a Champions League match in 2005 with only around 5,000 other fans at least 2,500 were from the other team (Tel Aviv) - there were probably around 200 Celtic fans at that match too boosting the attendance (Celtic were playing in Milan the next night). A very significant section of their fans come from France and Switzerland so they maybe have difficulty getting to mid week games.

* I know they dont play there anymore

DeLorean
15/03/2010, 11:59 AM
Does anyone think Fluham can turn it around ?

Yeah if they get the first goal who knows? There'll be a cracking atmosphere and if Fulham are snapping at their toes and playing at a fast tempo Juve may be under pressure. Pity they couldn't have kept the first leg at 2-1 or even scraped a 3-2 though.

Infadel
18/03/2010, 7:59 PM
Goals are flying in this evening. Fulham pulling off probably their most famous ever European result 4-1 against Juve, Valencia and Bremen finishing 4 all.

Stevo Da Gull
18/03/2010, 8:51 PM
Sporting - Atletico is a great game to watch as well. 2-2 with 3 mins of normal time to go.

Boo_Boy
18/03/2010, 9:23 PM
Phew, Hamburg scraped through. Very bad performance from us, need to step it up in the next round to have any chance.

Closed Account 2
19/03/2010, 11:16 AM
Fulham v Wolfsburg
HSV v Standard of Liege
Valencia v Atletico Madrid
Benfica v Liverpool

Closed Account 2
19/03/2010, 11:20 AM
...semis

HSV / Liege - v - Fluham / Wolfsburg
Valencia / Atletico - v - Benfica / Liverpool