PDA

View Full Version : landsdowne rd & bath ave residents assoc

the 12 th man
28/01/2004, 6:43 AM
lads,get used to these two organisations as we are going to get to know them intimately over the next few years.expect to have committed to your memory the name of each member of the committe as they appear on programme after programme to give out about you know what.
the louder they complain the more concessions they will get from the fai and the egg chasing football union.

Macy
28/01/2004, 8:08 AM
There was one on Newstalk last night - she'd lived there 9 years. Shocker that there was a stadium there, and it might be redeveloped.... Fúck 'em

lopez
28/01/2004, 9:00 AM
Originally posted by Macy
There was one on Newstalk last night - she'd lived there 9 years. Shocker that there was a stadium there, and it might be redeveloped.... Fúck 'em
Double f*ck 'em

Peadar
28/01/2004, 10:06 AM
I remember when I was in Amsterdam there were massive objections to an additional runway being built at Schiphol. Someone connected to the plan came out and said something to the effect of, there has been an airport here for a long time. People came here and lived near the airport. What did they expect?!

pete
28/01/2004, 10:36 AM
There is already a stadium there so residents can't complian about extra matches as thats not going to happen.

I don't see any issues with light at the Lansdowne Rd end as meerly replacing 1 satnd with another & changing the terracing to a single tier stand. Besides Lansdowne Rd is reasonable wide so its not as if the stadium is up against the houses there.

Havecock Sq resident smight have more to complain about but again there not going to be any extra games & doubt the single tier stand at the end any higher than the terrace. The FAI/IRFU could always appease them but closing the entrance at that side & bring those spectators in via the lansdowne end?

liamon
28/01/2004, 1:10 PM
I think if the stadium was increased to 80,000 then they might have a right to complain. But, as things stand, there shouldn't be any major impact on their lives apart from noise/dust from the actual construction phase.

I don't think they''ll get anywhere with their objections. Only concern is that they could drag this through the courts for a few years and cause problems.

tiktok
28/01/2004, 1:52 PM
yeah, i don't think they have any 'grounds' :rolleyes: for objection to the structure of the new stadium, if anything it seems to be more compact than before, definitely not any bigger. it'll be things lkike how the redevelopment affects them on a day to day basis.

anyone know for definite if the dart will have to be shut down, cause that will drive people nuts

Bald Student
28/01/2004, 2:13 PM
I think that the residents would have reason for complaint if planning permission was sought to hold more concerts in the grounds, at present concerts are limited (I think to three a year). The residents are most likely going to insist on that number not increasing.

gspain
28/01/2004, 2:27 PM
Residents probably won't stop the stadium but they could delay it.

Looks at Carrickmines and the M50 - delayed even further now - again will get built but held up for years.

MikeW
28/01/2004, 2:42 PM
Originally posted by tiktok

anyone know for definite if the dart will have to be shut down, cause that will drive people nuts

They claim they'll be able to keep the Dart open during construction, so thats a plus. According to the Examiner, the new stadium will be a lot wider than whats there now, so much so that they're considering beginning construction of the new East stand behind the existing one and then moving the pitch over when the old stand is demolished. That way they can keep the existing stadium in use longer and limit complete closure to about 12 months.

I think the stadium will definitely get full planning permission in the end (its too high-profile a project not to), the only question is how long it will be held up by objections. The nightmare scenario would be the moneybags D4 objectors hiring scumbag lawyers to look for technicalities so they can take the whole thing to court. Probably won't happen, but it did happen in the Carrickmines fiasco where some do-gooder wannabe hippy held the whole thing up for years and cost the country upwards of €50million (conservative estimate) over what amounted to a pile of rocks in South Dublin.

What are the odds they'll find a few stones from Dublin 4 castle underneath the training pitch behind Lansdowne?

Schumi
28/01/2004, 2:46 PM
Originally posted by MikeW
They claim they'll be able to keep the Dart open during construction, so thats a plus. But surely it'll have to be closed for a while during the demolition of the West Stand.

Macy
28/01/2004, 2:47 PM
Originally posted by MikeW
They claim they'll be able to keep the Dart open during construction, so thats a plus. According to the Examiner, the new stadium will be a lot wider than whats there now, so much so that they're considering beginning construction of the new East stand behind the existing one and then moving the pitch over when the old stand is demolished. That way they can keep the existing stadium in use longer and limit complete closure to about 12 months.

Actually thinking about, the new design won't be over the Dart line anymore will it?

Schumi
28/01/2004, 2:48 PM
No, the whole thing seems to be shifted to the east. I wonder will they be able to sell the land on the west side of the DART line?

John83
28/01/2004, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
But surely it'll have to be closed for a while during the demolition of the West Stand.
Falling rubble is hardly going to make the DART more dangerous to use than it already is. ;)

pete
28/01/2004, 5:10 PM
I thought i heard them say the dOrt would definitely stay open during construction?

I also heard that the dOrt will be put up on "stilts" (popular term for raised platform these days) so no more level crossing at Lansdowne Rd.

btw would we not the local residents have been doing some public lobbying to prevent the govt actually making this decision if they were looking to stop it?

Macy
29/01/2004, 8:11 AM
Originally posted by pete
btw would we not the local residents have been doing some public lobbying to prevent the govt actually making this decision if they were looking to stop it?
Judging from the comments from last night's meeting that were on newstalk this morning, it's all about €€€€€€€€€€€€€€'s.... Some seemed generally in favour, and seemed to have an okay relationship with Philip Brown....

the 12 th man
29/01/2004, 9:05 AM
heard some dragon on "boring ireland" on the radio this morning.she was at the labour party meeting last night with the residents.she was giving it loads about no light in her house and dust everywhere.
she thinks the new stadium is an eyesore!!!!!

pete
29/01/2004, 9:07 AM
Originally posted by the 12 th man
...she was giving it loads about no light in her house and dust everywhere.

Still won't be a valid reason to even delay construction.

Schumi
29/01/2004, 2:19 PM
Originally posted by pete
I thought i heard them say the dOrt would definitely stay open during construction? Yes, during construction but the demolition of the West Stand will have to mean it'll be closed. The electric wires are in the stand as far as I know, never mind the rubble.

wws
29/01/2004, 2:40 PM
well I live nowhere near it, but will of course be excercising my constitutional rights and objecting to this monstrosity

just to get the f[]ckers back for Luas and the red cow

WeAreRovers
29/01/2004, 4:56 PM
As Macy so eloquently put it - fúck em. I have mates who live in Ballybough who were shafted big time by the GAA when Croker was redeveloped. No consultation, no compensation, no nothing.

By and large the residents around Lansdowne have more cash and will have more influence with their protests but the simple fact is we are building a stadium for the benefit of everyone (unlike Croke Park) so get used to it.

KOH

niamh
31/01/2004, 11:47 AM
Chances are most of the people bought their houses knowing it was near a stadium. They have no right to conplain about its redevelopment BUT they have the cash to do it.
I lived in Whitehall last year where they've dug up several roads to build the tunnel and were there protests? No because after the construction it will be for the benefit of the area.