Turner-Blinkhorn

Im going for a two-nil Rvs win . . .
Thoughts anyone?

Turner's a bit rusty to start at the minute. I say it would look like this

Brush
Keane-Ventre-Peers-Holmes
Boco-O'Grady-Ryan-Morrison
Cretaro-Blinkhorn

Cant see why cant get something from this, the lads should be confident against them after the cup game and a decent performance last night.

red arrow
10/07/2009, 4:31 PM
is peers still out?

prodsc
10/07/2009, 10:03 PM
Turner looks a bit out Match practice but if he started ahead of Blinky(maybe not registered?) last week doesnt say much.

Thought Boco/Morrrison worked well on RHS, Morrison wasted on left.

Needc to get some sort o result Sunday draw to go above Drogs, win to reel Galway back tooooooo:) and get out of play off spot. SECOND HALF starts Sunday.

Would we (happily) give up Setanta to continue in Ford Cup and EA:confused:

tiktok
10/07/2009, 11:02 PM
I don't expect City to get anything from this game.

brianw82
10/07/2009, 11:56 PM

I don't expect us to get anything from it either! Very hard to call, this one.

rovers100%
11/07/2009, 12:23 PM
the team will undoubtely be tired after thurs nite but hopefully there spirits will be high after all the support they got in albania and wanna put in a good performance as a way to say thanks. the league this year isnt great and hopefully with our new sighnings we can push on and maybe 4th place is not an unrealistic challange.

sligoman
11/07/2009, 12:27 PM
hopefully there spirits will be high after all the support they got in albaniaTheir spirits will be high alright...after some of them drinking them on the plane home.

Boo_Boy
11/07/2009, 12:39 PM
Their spirits will be high alright...after some of them drinking them on the plane home.

:eek::eek::eek:

Shocking.

rovers100%
11/07/2009, 12:52 PM
in fairness it was 3 at most who did and one is leaving sunday regardless and another looking to go by all accounts and the third lad had very little. i think a lot of it was blown outta proportion by a bitchy air hostess. fair enuf they should have had more manners as on a plane full of people but ya gotta blow off steam too and they had a few tough days out there with nerves and everything else.

sheao
11/07/2009, 1:15 PM
Is the game going to be live on Ocean fm or any other raido station.

sligofan4ever
11/07/2009, 1:42 PM
Is the game going to be live on Ocean fm or any other raido station.

Porbably just live updates, the live coverage of a match on thursday was probably just once off.

red arrow
11/07/2009, 2:22 PM
rovers will train today at 4pm to loosen up. peers still very doubtful for tomorrow. apparently they got home at 2 o clock this morning. sean doherty is gone alright but an interesting comment by somebody else on this forum
saying that there was one(player) other looking to get out. i hope its not morrison as some have suggested here as he will be a very valuable player as the season progresses linking up with blinkhorn & turner. morrison can beat a man & get a cross in. it will be very tough tomorrow night. it would be great to get the win

rob mcdonald
11/07/2009, 5:37 PM
If Sean Doherty is gone its a pity he never delivered on his promise. With that in mind can anyone tell me a game when he stood out as the outstanding player or when he showed the will and determination of Raf or Conor. He was on a nice earner here and you cant blame him for taking what was on offer, but lesser players on less money have shown better in the showgrounds.

rob mcdonald
11/07/2009, 5:44 PM
They're professionals good manners is the least to expect from them....Let off steam!!! Poor excuse

MMVIII
11/07/2009, 10:09 PM
in fairness it was 3 at most who did and one is leaving sunday regardless and another looking to go by all accounts and the third lad had very little. i think a lot of it was blown outta proportion by a bitchy air hostess. fair enuf they should have had more manners as on a plane full of people but ya gotta blow off steam too and they had a few tough days out there with nerves and everything else.

Nothing was blown out of proportion by an air hostess. AFAIK the lads were caught in the act by a member of the club. Air hostess had nothing to do with it.

rob mcdonald
12/07/2009, 9:43 AM
If thats the case serious fine and discipline them if its true. Nobobdy has a problem with a lad having a beer but have some respect and act like a pro. Wonder how all the lads who worked so hard to get the Showgrounds looking fab wud feel by this?

Rovers Maniac
12/07/2009, 11:10 AM
Ah lads jeez grow up with this sensationalism s**t, no wonder our country is turning into a police state. Over 48 hours before a game, couple of drinks, jesus thats no harm. Cook said to us the players behaved impeccably the whole week and a member of the MC said the same thing. You have to remember they're young lads they're not earning 50k a week, give them a break.

Anyway back to the game Rovers need this one badly, results were bad for us on Friday night, so we are in the S**t big time in the league, but i honestly think we won't go down but we need to get the league form going. I am looking forward to seeing this Blinkhorn lad, who is meant to be a quality player. If the lads get stuck into Cork i would like to think we will take them. Gamble is out for them by the way, which is a big blow for Cork. We have to get our home form going as we are starting to get a drift from a few teams.

Red4Eva
12/07/2009, 11:15 AM
Anyway back to the game Rovers need this one badly, results were bad for us on Friday night, so we are in the S**t big time in the league, but i honestly think we won't go down but we need to get the league form going. I am looking forward to seeing this Blinkhorn lad, who is meant to be a quality player. If the lads get stuck into Cork i would like to think we will take them. Gamble is out for them by the way, which is a big blow for Cork. We have to get our home form going as we are starting to get a drift from a few teams.

did u get JC to put up that price for Blinkhorn? 13/2 is decent. If Gamble is out I'm a lot more confident now

sligoman
12/07/2009, 11:20 AM
did u get JC to put up that price for Blinkhorn? 13/2 is decent.I emailed PP yesterday, they had a price up for him about an hour later.

Rovers Maniac
12/07/2009, 11:25 AM
No i forgot buck, just see 5's about him, where is he 13/2?

sligofan4ever
12/07/2009, 11:32 AM
I know Blinkhorn hasnt played since around May but I hope all this training and his trial has gotten him in better shape for today. Obviously I havent seen him play, but he reminds of me Matthew Judge for some reason.

Red4Eva
12/07/2009, 11:32 AM
No i forgot buck, just see 5's about him, where is he 13/2?

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_fb_type&category=SOCCER&disp_cat_id=&ev_class_id=49&ev_type_id=3064&ev_oc_grp_ids=15575#link_1507398

Boo_Boy
12/07/2009, 11:34 AM
Don't lay bets often but 13/2 are good odds for a striker. If he doesn't play do you get your bet back or what?

It's probably a stupid question but i don't know the answer!!

sligoman
12/07/2009, 11:35 AM
but he reminds of me Matthew Judge for some reason.Same first name?

sligofan4ever
12/07/2009, 11:49 AM
Same first name?

Well theres that. But he reminds me of Judgie, maybe because hes our only tall striker. Can only hope he turns out like Judgie in his 2007 season!

Boo_Boy
12/07/2009, 4:24 PM
Get yer butts to Ladbrokes, never heard of him and called up the main office who also never heard of Blinkhorn, gave me odds of 10/1 :).

red bellied
12/07/2009, 9:16 PM
Can't even make a defensive wall for a free kick and a terrible effort from the resulting still ended up in the net. The two centre halves don't know if they are coming or going, Ventre gets sent off again proving what a liability he is. Well Holmes is Holmes and useless as well, that's what happens when you sign first division players. At least we know Boco is a half decent right back and any sort of threat came from there.

rovers100%
12/07/2009, 9:22 PM
in fairness ventre hadnt the worst of games until sending off but ten mins before red card i told my mate beside me he wouldnt finish the game as ya could see he was getting wound up. even the couple turned around in front of me and said i was right once he went lol. its very simple in fairness if ya cant defend and you concede goals and cant score goals then it adss to a very simple answer. we need to get some new blood in. holmes is not good enough, cash and ryan as well as far as im concerned. blinkhorn never got a touch so cant judge him. we need to build the team around boco and raf. we badly need a centre back and central midfield as well as a winger who will beat a defender and cross. young keohane done good he always looked to get a cross in. we need to improve or will be a long season

corkboy360
12/07/2009, 9:24 PM
Sligo must be bad :eek: Im not sure the last time I saw city win never mind say score 3.

SligoBrewer
12/07/2009, 9:39 PM
1 point from our last 15, and I can safely write off next weeks points on that performance so, 1 from 18? ****.

sligofan4ever
12/07/2009, 9:43 PM
So, so frustrating. We havent won a league game since May 29th and going by tonight, we may be waiting another while for some points. I totally agree with the poster who said we need new blood in the team, a new left back, centre midfielder (Gary Curran anyone ?) and possibly a new left midfielder. It puzzles me how it has gone so backwards this season, I mean alot of the players from last season are still there.

showgies
12/07/2009, 9:58 PM
Unfortunately with a defence as inept and uncomfortable as we have, we are more likely to lose games than win. Until this is addressed we will be fighting for our status in this league.

rovers100%
12/07/2009, 10:01 PM
our priority needs to be players who can defend. we need someone who can organise a defense peers is outstanding but he needs someone beside him who can organise and keep his concentration. word is burns maybe an option but he is 30 now and only getting slower. a great reader of the game but we need to look to the future. we need a good strong cental midfielder too

SligoBrewer
12/07/2009, 10:04 PM
Richie Ryan isn't up to it anymore.

Shedzer
12/07/2009, 10:26 PM
Richie Ryan isn't up to it anymore.
He has never beiong up to it in the centre of the park and i said it long before any 'crisis' came. People are only waking up to it now.

The team are in serious trouble

srfc1928
12/07/2009, 10:28 PM
That was painful to watch.

we obviously need a decent centre half and centre midfeilder on board.
and to get them we need to move a few on. no point talking about bringing wingers and full backs in, the money isnt there.
we actually dont have a centre back at the club, apart from peers who has been converted into one. we need strength down the middle.

Rovers fan
12/07/2009, 10:38 PM
apart from peers who has been converted into one.

Who could be out for a long time apparently:(

Depressing stuff tonight, obviously. Up until tonight I said to myself that we were good enough to pull out of this but I'm not so sure now. No centre halfs as srfc1928 said. Crowds are bound to drop now, and yet we are signing more players. Another fundraiser can't be that far away.

I suppose the lads were always going to be a bit flat after the european game but I honestly expected them to get a result tonight. Like, Cork weren't even that good, we were just terrible. No conviction, no urgency and all over the shop when ever cork decided to make a meaningful attack. Awful stupid of danny to get the red card at the end.

Very hard to see us getting anything out of the shams game.

Redkenrover
12/07/2009, 10:45 PM
So, so frustrating. We havent won a league game since May 29th and going by tonight, we may be waiting another while for some points. I totally agree with the poster who said we need new blood in the team, a new left back, centre midfielder (Gary Curran anyone ?) and possibly a new left midfielder. It puzzles me how it has gone so backwards this season, I mean alot of the players from last season are still there.

That was also the last time we kept a clean sheet and we have only kept 6 in 22 games this year. We are soft and too easily got at. Looking at tonights dismal performance I drew a number of conclusions,
1. Can we afford the luxury of creative players in midfield like Ryan, Morrison, where we obviously lack a physical edge, back four get little protection from our current midfield quartet.
2. While I think O Grady gives his all, of late he seems to be chasing shadows and at times and looks a yard of the pace.
3. Looking at the next fixtures I cant see where we are going to put a run together to move up the table.
4. We need to get a centre back asap. At the moment we have Feeney and Ventre who dont look comfortable there.

On current form can anyone name the three teams going to finish below us to ensure we definately survive?

While I dont like to criticise players, the time for sentiment is gone and tough decisions need to be made. I hope for all oursake that Cook can make these. Otherwise I see a difficult time ahead.:(

red arrow
12/07/2009, 11:00 PM
i'm really worried after the performance tonight. midfield was atrocious & i have to say that ritchie ryan is;nt doing the business. he seems to slow the momentum when he gets the ball. i was watching boco and evertime he got the ball he played it at pace trying to inject monemtum but the response around him was;nt there. i hate to be critical & if as somebody says here peers is going to be out for a while then we are in deep ****. i can understand that the team would be very flat after the europa trip but we never looked like scoring. by the way somebody else mentions a fundraiser soon well i have being given 50 books of tickets to sell . tickets e10 each and the draw is at the end of august. anybody want to buy a ticket just give me a call at 087 2388215 or help would be appreciated to sell a few books. most of yee know me anyway (michael clancy). we are now in crisis mode and all help would be appreciated. lets hope we get a home draw in the cup. is it on tomorrow night?

Rovers Maniac
12/07/2009, 11:25 PM
Brutal beyond pathetic, we have nothing at all, It's not possible to slate Ryan without Slating O'Grady first though imo. Thought Richie was the best of them two tonight but that aint saying much. We have no defence, no midfield and no forwards at the moment, we have no team. I am angry i think some of our players think we are top of the league stroking the ball around from one side to another. We have the worst home record in the league. We leak goals at a serious rate we create very little. The bottom line is we have no hunger but we were hammered by a side tonight that had very little as well. This bodes badly for the future.

prodsc
12/07/2009, 11:46 PM
Never expected to get much from tonight but;

Cork weren't great

We were brutal(and have been looking disjointed in the last few games)

and the refereeing/asst decisions were, at times, blindingly bad, ie. before goals 1 & 2 (still no excuse to concede though)

It all makes it dishearting especially on a Sunday night!! Crowds will be waning big time unless we get a bit of a run going.

Wots the story with Peers ?

Guts&Glory
13/07/2009, 6:58 AM
[QUOTE=Rovers Maniac;1190412]Ah lads jeez grow up with this sensationalism s**t, no wonder our country is turning into a police state. Over 48 hours before a game, couple of drinks, jesus thats no harm. Cook said to us the players behaved impeccably the whole week and a member of the MC said the same thing. You have to remember they're young lads they're not earning 50k a week, give them a break.

QUOTE]

Differing stories lads - what happened then just a few drinks to chill out or a bit of craic onboard others took as inapropriate ?

brianw82
13/07/2009, 7:18 AM
our priority needs to be players who can defend. we need someone who can organise a defense peers is outstanding but he needs someone beside him who can organise and keep his concentration. word is burns maybe an option but he is 30 now and only getting slower. a great reader of the game but we need to look to the future. we need a good strong cental midfielder too

Feck the future, we need points NOW! If we can get Burns or any other decent CB then it's a must.

Rovers Maniac
13/07/2009, 7:38 AM
That was also the last time we kept a clean sheet and we have only kept 6 in 22 games this year. We are soft and too easily got at. Looking at tonights dismal performance I drew a number of conclusions,
1. Can we afford the luxury of creative players in midfield like Ryan, Morrison, where we obviously lack a physical edge, back four get little protection from our current midfield quartet.
2. While I think O Grady gives his all, of late he seems to be chasing shadows and at times and looks a yard of the pace.
3. Looking at the next fixtures I cant see where we are going to put a run together to move up the table.
4. We need to get a centre back asap. At the moment we have Feeney and Ventre who dont look comfortable there.

On current form can anyone name the three teams going to finish below us to ensure we definately survive?

While I dont like to criticise players, the time for sentiment is gone and tough decisions need to be made. I hope for all oursake that Cook can make these. Otherwise I see a difficult time ahead.:(

Ya good post, Gary Curran would have been an option we should never have got rid of, last night was a piviotal game in a lot of ways as this Cork side looked disinterested in winning but ended up beating us 3-0. I can't see us doing anything, the ball up to the front players was shocking, we did not hit the target until Ventre's free kick, we have no centre of defence next week so can't see us getting anything up there, not sure where are next points will come from.

Feck the future, we need points NOW! If we can get Burns or any other decent CB then it's a must.

yes 100% agree with this.

dong
13/07/2009, 8:00 AM
Wasn't at the game and I accept it was a bad performance and result going by everybody's comments. Surely fatigue must have been a factor in this game though?
It's the same players (almost to a man) who had to go out and try to do it again only a couple of days after an energy sapping game and flights etc.
As was mentioned, new blood has to come in now or we will go down.

tiktok
13/07/2009, 8:09 AM

When I wrote this, I of course had forgotten that you'd be in eastern europe two days before the game.
I assume tiredness etc., was a factor, because we're not that good in fairness.

sligoman
13/07/2009, 9:48 AM
No way were Cork 3-0 better than us. Cork were terrible, we were shocking though. It's not good enough, too many passengers in the team.
Over 48 hours before a game, couple of drinks, jesus thats no harm. Cook said to us the players behaved impeccably the whole week and a member of the MC said the same thing. You have to remember they're young lads they're not earning 50k a week, give them a break.We're a full time, supposedly professional team who haven't won a league game since May 29th(and even that game Dundalk deserved something). We're 2nd from bottom with some part-time teams ahead of us. We weren't good enough to beat a terrible Albanian side in 2 attempts & who are in their pre-season yet our fitness looked equal if not worse than theirs. There are too many players who are here just for the money and not willing to work for it. Our fitness is shocking. No player should be allowed drink until we start winning imo. A lot of the lads like a drink so if this is what motivates them to work harder then so be it because something has to be done now before it's too late and we're back playing Monaghan & Kildare.

Rovers Maniac
13/07/2009, 10:16 AM
No way were Cork 3-0 better than us. Cork were terrible, we were shocking though. It's not good enough, too many passengers in the team.We're a full time, supposedly professional team who haven't won a league game since May 29th(and even that game Dundalk deserved something). We're 2nd from bottom with some part-time teams ahead of us. We weren't good enough to beat a terrible Albanian side in 2 attempts & who are in their pre-season yet our fitness looked equal if not worse than theirs. There are too many players who are here just for the money and not willing to work for it. Our fitness is shocking. No player should be allowed drink until we start winning imo. A lot of the lads like a drink so if this is what motivates them to work harder then so be it because something has to be done now before it's too late and we're back playing Monaghan & Kildare.

Too right lets get them up to Loughlin house pronto, one of the starting 11 last night had a drink on the flight? One came on as a sub, so trying to paint them all as being drunk does not wash or using that as an excuse for what was a shocking performance. We have been playing S**t all season, we have had the worst home record in the league for quite a while so the performance like last night is nothing new. Our fitness is poor and we don't create chances enough and leak goals at the back. This has happened all season and it's starting to look like we are going down.