Lesnar
Hendo
GSP

Jofspring
13/07/2009, 10:56 AM
Lesnar
Hendo
GSP

Bang on with your predictions. Lesnar really thumped Frank Mir. Henderson had it easy as Bisping played right into his hands, it was some knockout punch, was disappointed with Bisping. GSP is just unreal. The last 2 rounds with an injury to his groin and he still won them both. Thought Belcher should have won the first fight, he definately landed the most punchs and kicks and did the most damage.

tetsujin1979
13/07/2009, 11:03 AM
Caught the replay last night, only saw the Lesnar fight. Thought Mir was coming back into it slightly in the second round, some knee right to Lesnar's jaw. Once he got Mir back on the ground, there was only going to be one winner. The post match one finger salutes to the crowd aren't going to make him any more popular either.

Dodge
13/07/2009, 11:11 AM
The post match one finger salutes to the crowd aren't going to make him any more popular either.

A podcast I listen to regualrly had a bit on UFC last week. Guy was basically saying that they're starting to campi it up WWE style with their pre match build ups.

He stressed that the fighting is very much real, but the UFC head honcho (Dana White) was trying to create charachters to build the UFC's profile

Saturday was on course to shatter the UFC PPV record, and beat anything the WWE has done in recent years. Something like 1.5 million buys was expected

passinginterest
13/07/2009, 11:19 AM
Delighted that Henderson hammered Bisping, that diving punch, when he knew Bisping was already out was really sending home the message, Bisping is a real love him or hate him character and I'm definitely on the hate side.

Lesnar is just a machine, apparently he doesn't like to get involved in the promotion of the fights and the war of words before, and in fairness he does his talking in the ring. He really is playing the classic WWE heel but I can't see the harm in it, it just adds to the mass appeal of MMA, I thought his interview after the fight was hilarious.

GSP is just a different class, it looks like there's nobody that will get close to him, a mate of mine is a massive GSP fan and he was very nervous about that fight but GSP strolled it, even with a serious injury for the final two rounds. It's hard to know what he should do now, if he moves up a weight class he risks losing some of his mystique, look what happened to BJ Penn when he moved up to fight GSP he got hammered, GSP is a fairly small gut anyway so it would be difficult for him to move up and not get bullied by a much bigger fighter.

tetsujin1979
13/07/2009, 12:12 PM
A podcast I listen to regualrly had a bit on UFC last week. Guy was basically saying that they're starting to campi it up WWE style with their pre match build ups.

He stressed that the fighting is very much real, but the UFC head honcho (Dana White) was trying to create charachters to build the UFC's profile

Saturday was on course to shatter the UFC PPV record, and beat anything the WWE has done in recent years. Something like 1.5 million buys was expected
They tried something similar before, years ago, think Shamrock came out after a fight on the mic and cut a promo on the winner. Didn't really work then, and they'd be better off focussing on the fights themselves than the characters involved. A friend of mine admitted he only really watched WWE for the plots, and characters. The recent bouts in WWE, and the same 4 or 5 guys winning the same titles, are usually a let down.

Easy Easy
13/07/2009, 12:51 PM
Delighted that Henderson hammered Bisping, that diving punch, when he knew Bisping was already out was really sending home the message, Bisping is a real love him or hate him character and I'm definitely on the hate side.

Lesnar is just a machine, apparently he doesn't like to get involved in the promotion of the fights and the war of words before, and in fairness he does his talking in the ring. He really is playing the classic WWE heel but I can't see the harm in it, it just adds to the mass appeal of MMA, I thought his interview after the fight was hilarious.

GSP is just a different class, it looks like there's nobody that will get close to him, a mate of mine is a massive GSP fan and he was very nervous about that fight but GSP strolled it, even with a serious injury for the final two rounds. It's hard to know what he should do now, if he moves up a weight class he risks losing some of his mystique, look what happened to BJ Penn when he moved up to fight GSP he got hammered, GSP is a fairly small gut anyway so it would be difficult for him to move up and not get bullied by a much bigger fighter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Agree with evertything you said,
Dana said he will get Fedor in to Fight Lesner,who do ye thing would win that one guys?
Can see Lesner holding him down and smashing him up....?

gilberto_eire
13/07/2009, 2:00 PM
Bang on with your predictions. Lesnar really thumped Frank Mir. Henderson had it easy as Bisping played right into his hands, it was some knockout punch, was disappointed with Bisping. GSP is just unreal. The last 2 rounds with an injury to his groin and he still won them both. Thought Belcher should have won the first fight, he definately landed the most punchs and kicks and did the most damage.

In fairness they were three odds on shots :p

Aberdonian Stu
13/07/2009, 2:14 PM
I thought Lesnar's promo was great and while he clearly benefitted from his training in cutting promos in WWE it still came across as far from forced.

SkStu
13/07/2009, 4:18 PM
i love how Joe Rogan always looks like he is about to go and bang some hookers and snort reams of coke.

Great night of fighting Saturday night - Lesnar is a beast. St. Pierre is a machine.

Easy Easy
13/07/2009, 4:36 PM
In fairness they were three odds on shots
------------------------------------------------------------
5/2 actually so with a 100e on the treble is wasnt so short!

gilberto_eire
13/07/2009, 7:58 PM
In fairness they were three odds on shots
------------------------------------------------------------
5/2 actually so with a 100e on the treble is wasnt so short!

Hendo 8/15
Lesnar 2/5
GSP 3/10

''three odds on shots''.... no? :confused:

Not sure where you were getting 5/2 on that, as those odds are frm Ladbrokes and PP was roughly the same, €100 bet returns €280, thats less then 2/1

The only slightly iffy one was the Hendo fight, odds there don't really reflect the potential outcome that had, the other two were like were near dead certs. Was just pointing out to that poster they weren't really bold predicitons, as you know probably know yourself :p

Coleman at 3/1 to beat Bonnar(who was 1/4 or 1/3) which i taught was a joke, didnt get around to doing it in the end.

Easy Easy
14/07/2009, 9:42 AM
Hendo 8/15
Lesnar 2/5
GSP 3/10

''three odds on shots''.... no? :confused:

Not sure where you were getting 5/2 on that, as those odds are frm Ladbrokes and PP was roughly the same, €100 bet returns €280, thats less then 2/1

The only slightly iffy one was the Hendo fight, odds there don't really reflect the potential outcome that had, the other two were like were near dead certs. Was just pointing out to that poster they weren't really bold predicitons, as you know probably know yourself :p

Coleman at 3/1 to beat Bonnar(who was 1/4 or 1/3) which i taught was a joke, didnt get around to doing it in the end.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well i made 370 off the 100 on Betfair so i dont care what PP/Ladbrokes odds were,

Maybe next time you can come on here and give us the dead certs to throw a couple of quid on?

gilberto_eire
14/07/2009, 1:58 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well i made 370 off the 100 on Betfair so i dont care what PP/Ladbrokes odds were,

Maybe next time you can come on here and give us the dead certs to throw a couple of quid on?

Well who ever gave ya that was a clown, and that's an exchange so doesn't represent their realistic prices.... look fair play but to call the winners of those three fights was no big coup

Jofspring
16/07/2009, 1:03 PM
Well who ever gave ya that was a clown, and that's an exchange so doesn't represent their realistic prices.... look fair play but to call the winners of those three fights was no big coup

No big coup but still it is UFC and at any moment any of those fighters could have been caught with a knockout punch. Many out right favourites have lost before. Anywho, ive seen better but it was still a very good night of fighting.

SkStu
16/07/2009, 4:48 PM
anyone reckon Dana White gave Lesnar a clip around the ear after his post-match remarks?? It was like a WWE (or whatever it is now) trash-talking session... still pretty funny though!

Aberdonian Stu
16/07/2009, 9:42 PM
He gave him a serious ear-bashing afterwards. Made Lesnar apologise in the official press conference afterwards.

Jofspring
16/07/2009, 11:49 PM
He gave him a serious ear-bashing afterwards. Made Lesnar apologise in the official press conference afterwards.

I thought his comments where gas. Made the end of the fight that little bit more entertaining. Pity he apologised for it but i'm sure Dana White got a bollocking of Bud Light (The Difference is Drinkability) also though so its understandable.

passinginterest
17/07/2009, 9:02 AM
I thought his comments where gas. Made the end of the fight that little bit more entertaining. Pity he apologised for it but i'm sure Dana White got a bollocking of Bud Light (The Difference is Drinkability) also though so its understandable.

I think Dana White knows well that Brock's comments will have appealed to the wider audience, he had to ask him to apologise to save face with sponsors, but, look at the target audience in the US for professional wrestling and MMA, that kind of trash talking is what they love, anyone who's seen Bruno will know the kind of target market we're talking here, Dana White is laughing all the way to the bank.

Jofspring
17/07/2009, 1:42 PM
I think Dana White knows well that Brock's comments will have appealed to the wider audience, he had to ask him to apologise to save face with sponsors, but, look at the target audience in the US for professional wrestling and MMA, that kind of trash talking is what they love, anyone who's seen Bruno will know the kind of target market we're talking here, Dana White is laughing all the way to the bank.

Ya i agree with you. Purely to keep the sponsors happy.

Anyone have any suggestions on who Lesnar might fight next?

ken foree
24/07/2009, 3:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dana said he will get Fedor in to Fight Lesner,who do ye thing would win that one guys?
Can see Lesner holding him down and smashing him up....?

hmm not sure, i don't think i've ever seen fedor on his back for that long and he's quite dangerous when he's there too. not sure if he's still number 1 in the world but he's still the baddest fighter for me.