PDA

View Full Version : Major set back for League of Ireland.

SMorgan
07/07/2009, 8:22 PM
The call-up by Alan Kelly to the UEFA Premier Development Referees Group is a major set back to anybody trying to address one of the biggest weaknesses in the domestic game. Every time the issue of poor refereeing is now raised, we'll have the people with vested interests or tunnel-vision telling us that UEFA has given Irish Referees its stamp of approval.

I would admit to not knowing much about Kelly, because as a Langer, he hasn't made too many appearence in the northern part of the country and he maybe a fairly good ref. But one things for sure, some of his colleagues fall well short of the required standard and they couldn't be let anywhere near a UEFA or international match. The appointment of Kelly will be used to brush the problem of sub-standard refereeing in the League of Ireland under the carpet.

brianw82
07/07/2009, 8:23 PM
I don't see it as a problem. One ref has proven his worth. That's all. If anything, I'd hope it'd have a knock-on effect on others.

SkStu
07/07/2009, 8:24 PM
major setback? whats another one when we have so many already?

Kelly is bruuuuuutal by the way. And his Da is the referees assessor afaik. Figure that one out...

Dodge
07/07/2009, 8:42 PM
Kelly will be away more often I assume?

No setbakc here so. Lets hope they all get called up

Tallanted
07/07/2009, 8:52 PM
Kelly is as Richie Sadlier would say consistently bad.

thischarmingman
07/07/2009, 9:06 PM
Kelly is bruuuuuutal by the way. And his Da is the referees assessor afaik. Figure that one out...

...madness! That would be like a Dublin referee taking charge of a match involving a Dublin team.

Tallanted
07/07/2009, 9:11 PM
Its true

SkStu
07/07/2009, 9:15 PM
...madness! That would be like a Dublin referee taking charge of a match involving a Dublin team.

ah come on now, stop making things up.

Tallanted
07/07/2009, 9:20 PM
or as mad as Kelly getting all the televised games for some unknown reason!!!

brianw82
07/07/2009, 9:24 PM
Dublin refs have been screwing us over. Along with the housewives and the Gah. Don't forget the Gah!

MariborKev
07/07/2009, 9:26 PM
And the award for the "Outstanding Post" in the category of "Overdramatic Reactions" goes to........

John83
07/07/2009, 9:37 PM
And the award for the "Outstanding Post" in the category of "Overdramatic Reactions" goes to........
Having just read this thread while listening to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4kStyX1avI&feature=related) piece of overdramatic music, I was highly amused by the reactions.

Dodge
07/07/2009, 9:46 PM

Please don't let it be me, oh dear god please don't let it be me. I don't know what I'll do if its me.........

ndrog
07/07/2009, 10:09 PM
The call-up by Alan Kelly to the UEFA Premier Development Referees Group is a major set back to anybody trying to address one of the biggest weaknesses in the domestic game. Every time the issue of poor refereeing is now raised, we'll have the people with vested interests or tunnel-vision telling us that UEFA has given Irish Referees its stamp of approval.

I would admit to not knowing much about Kelly, because as a Langer, he hasn't made too many appearence in the northern part of the country and he maybe a fairly good ref. But one things for sure, some of his colleagues fall well short of the required standard and they couldn't be let anywhere near a UEFA or international match. The appointment of Kelly will be used to brush the problem of sub-standard refereeing in the League of Ireland under the carpet.

You dont know anything about him because you been in the graveyard for 8 years , he has reffed loads of games in the " northern " part of the country .Just not first division ones .

RĂ©iteoir
07/07/2009, 11:12 PM

Only one slight flaw there Stu - the sole benchmark used to grade and promote referees on the UEFA Lists is marks gained solely in UEFA and FIFA games.

So anything going on in the League of Ireland has no bearing on this at all.

SkStu
07/07/2009, 11:23 PM
screw you and your "facts".

;)

Dodge
07/07/2009, 11:26 PM
Only one slight flaw there Stu - the sole benchmark used to grade and promote referees on the UEFA Lists is marks gained solely in UEFA and FIFA games.

I think we all figured that bit out when he got promoted....

Gaillimh Al
08/07/2009, 5:43 AM
or as mad as Kelly getting all the televised games for some unknown reason!!!

Just for info purposes - refs who have done TV games this year:

Kelly............3
Hancock......3
Winter.........2 (3 after Friday)
McKeon.......2
Buttimer......1

Gareth
08/07/2009, 7:06 AM
Just for info purposes - refs who have done TV games this year:

Kelly............3
Hancock......3
Winter.........2 (3 after Friday)
McKeon.......2
Buttimer......1

Facts, ruining baseless points and rants since time began ;).

SMorgan
08/07/2009, 7:17 AM
You dont know anything about him because you been in the graveyard for 8 years , he has reffed loads of games in the " northern " part of the country .Just not first division ones .

Can you read?

If you can, read my message again and figure out the answer for yourself!!!

Sunny Jim
08/07/2009, 7:32 AM

Better say your goodbyes, so.

BohDiddley
08/07/2009, 10:17 AM

Which is just as well... Bray Wanderers v Bohs, August 11, 2006 (watch from 2:13)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=IE&hl=en-GB&v=rjLGTgHF_Cw

Surely, one of the all-time greats.

eamo1
08/07/2009, 11:15 AM
We all know there is no decent referee in this league.They get way too much protection too because if a manager criticises them they get heavily fined and banned from the touchline.They dont seem to be accountable themselves.If one of them has a bad game he's back again the following week,not dropped.What the F are referee accessors at?

Youths4Ever
08/07/2009, 11:41 AM
after a recent game in Ferrycarrig Park I over heard the ref assessor saying that ref performance not very good but what done about it?

genuine question is the procedure of assessing opened up to clubs to view so then see what going on or steps being made to improve ref if not why not?

RoversHead
08/07/2009, 12:06 PM
The higher the tree the monkey climbs the easier it is to see his arse so good news for me.

Louth4sam
08/07/2009, 12:42 PM

Well in that case no need for you to be too concerned as you'll no longer see him for a few years after the end of this season

thischarmingman
08/07/2009, 1:44 PM
The higher the tree the monkey climbs the easier it is to see his arse.

Er...the red dishwasher flies at dawn...?