PDA

View Full Version : Graham Rix for Waterford?

Ruairi
27/01/2004, 2:10 PM
from eleven-a-side.com (http://eleven-a-side.com) Former England international and Chelsea coach Graham Rix is one of a dozen candidates for the vacant manager’s position at Premier Division side Waterford United, according to a morning newspaper report.

Rix is currently in a coaching role at Scottish Premier League outfit Dundee, but that is seen as a sort-term arrangement and he is keen to get back into management.

He previously managed Portsmouth when the south coast side were in the First Division, while he was part of the coaching team of first Ruud Gullit and then Gianluca Vialli at Chelsea, when the Stamford Bridge side took victory in the FA Cup, the English League Cup and the European Cup Winners’ Cup – and now he wants to take charge of a different Blues set-up.

Waterford chairman Ger O’Brien, who relieved Jimmy McGeough of his duties at the end of last season, told the Irish Daily Mirror: “Graham has applied for the job. He is one of twelve people we plan to talk to and I would hope to have a manager in place within a week.

“Most people have been contacted at this stage and there are some high-profile names in the hat. Graham is one of those. I think his interest in us is a sign of the progress the eircom League has made in recent years. It’s great that we can attract names like his. I’d say he sees an opportunity here to do something positive – he certainly has an impressive CV.”