PDA

View Full Version : Graham Rix in line to be Waterford's next manager

Partizan
27/01/2004, 11:31 AM
RIX COULD BE QUICK FIX TO WATERFORD'S HOT SEAT HEADACHE
Garry Doyle

Ex-Chelsea coach Graham Rix is in line to become Waterford United's next manager.
Rix, capped 17 times by England, is one of 12 applicants for the vacancy created by Jimmy McGeough's controversial dismissal last month.
McGeough was 'relieved of his managerial duties' at the end of last season despite guiding Waterford to their highest league finish in 15 years.
But now he is set to be replaced by the man who coached Chelsea to the FA Cup in 1997 and the Coca Cola Cup and Cup Winners Cup a year later.
"Graham has applied for the job," confirmed Waterford chairman, Ger O'Brien.
"He is one of 12 people we plan to talk to and I would hope to have a manager in place within a week."
"Most people have been contacted at this stage and there are some high profile names in the hat."
"Graham is one of those. I think his interest in us is a sign of the progress that the eircom League has made in recent years. It's great that we can attract names like his."
"I'd say he sees an opportunity here to do something positive. Certainly Graham has an impressive CV."
He certainly has. Aside from coaching Chelsea to those three major successes, Rix has also been manager at Portsmouth and is currently working with Dundee in the Scottish Premier Division.
However his reputation was seriously damaged when he was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment in 1999 for having unlawful sex with a girl of 15.
Chelsea stood by Rix during his term in prison before the former Arsenal player moved on to manage Portsmouth in 2001.
Initially he was successful there - helping Pompey avoid relegation to the Second Division - but a lack of funds eventually forced him to leave.
Since then there has been a shortage of work - until the last three weeks when Dundee appointed him on a short-term coaching contract.
Dundee manager, Jim Duffy said: "Graham is a friend of mine and his coaching credentials are impeccable."
Rix said: "I've been out of coaching for a long time and have missed the day to day involvement. I've been kicking my heels a little bit."
He may not be kicking them much longer, though, especially if O'Brien opts to choose him as the club's new man.
"I can't say what will happen," said O'Brien. "All I will say is that I have an open mind on the situation and that we will be annnouncing something soon."
Should Rix be appointed then it will be one of the most exciting names to enter eircom League management for some time.
While good managers - Brian Kerr (St. Pat's), Lawrie Sanchez (Sligo) and Sam Allardyce (Limerick) have started their careers in the League before moving onwards and upwards - few arrive here in their prime.
And at 45 Rix is still highly regarded as a coach - having served under Glen Hoddle Ruud Gullit and Gianluca Vialli at Chelsea.
Since his conviction in 1999, though, he has found it difficult to find work in the Premiership and it is far from certain that he will get the job.
Roddy Collins is another man interested in the vacancy and he has alerted Waterford about his availability.
Collins, star of RTE's fly-on-the-wall documentary 'The Rod Squad' has been out of work since September.
While that incident hurt, Collins is still keen to return to the eircom League, where he made his name when he guided Bohs to the double in 2001.

Macy
27/01/2004, 11:34 AM
:D :D :D LOL, better dust off the old songs from the time he was convicted.....

Partizan
27/01/2004, 11:48 AM
Macy, I'm waiting for all the guff to come our direction.

after the Jimmy affair, the conduct of our meglomaniac chairman and now Rix, you could say Harchester United dont have a patch on us.

All we need is Kermot the Frog to be our PR.:ball:

Schumi
27/01/2004, 12:18 PM
LOL Lock up your daughters in Waterford.

Neil
27/01/2004, 12:25 PM
There won't be enough room in the Shed for all the paper banners! That's Reynolds, Connor and now Rix to slag off when the Blues come to town...

SÓC
27/01/2004, 1:38 PM
Originally posted by Neil
There won't be enough room in the Shed for all the paper banners! That's Reynolds, Connor and now Rix to slag off when the Blues come to town...

As far as I know he applied for the City job after Gunther left.

City Rejects United

thecorner
27/01/2004, 8:57 PM
With A bag Of Sweets and a cheeky smile
graham is a peadophile