PDA

View Full Version : Little things in league

Pages : [1] 2

Duggie
02/07/2009, 9:42 AM
ok seen as its quiet enough on here thought id say a few things that annoy me in the league. Seen as were not going to have any proper grounds here for the forseable future the little things always annoyed me in the grounds.

Like the hoarding, get if right and in place properly so it looks good. dont have it out of place here and there.

Second the dugouts, such a simple thing but all i seem to see is a ****ty block dugout with school chairs bolted down, or maybe a bit of perspec glass. Hardly the 14 seater with luxary chairs that big clubs all have but still, why not. couldnt imagine it would cost a whole pile.

The outside of grounds also in a lot of cases are as bad as the inside.
Now maybe people will think this is rubbish but i just always felt when we aint going to have big modern stadiums we could at least have the little things done properly.

Ash
02/07/2009, 9:46 AM
Second the dugouts, such a simple thing but all i seem to see is a ****ty block dugout with school chairs bolted down, or maybe a bit of perspec glass. Hardly the 14 seater with luxary chairs that big clubs all have but still, why not. couldnt imagine it would cost a whole pile.

Now maybe people will think this is rubbish but i just always felt when we aint going to have big modern stadiums we could at least have the little things done properly.

For once in a very long time Athlone Town have gotten these parts right :-)

Duggie
02/07/2009, 9:48 AM
well done athlone then :)

Mr A
02/07/2009, 9:49 AM
Ack, I thought this thread was going to be about Pat Fenlon.

Dodge
02/07/2009, 9:51 AM

Are you for real? YOu've no idea what it costs and you want clubs to spend money on that rather than the multitude of other, far more deserving, needs

I've no problem with people saying we should get the small things right but some sort of perspective needs to be in place.

pineapple stu
02/07/2009, 9:54 AM
Feck comfy sub seats. You don't want to make players want to be on the bench.

Duggie
02/07/2009, 9:55 AM
Are you for real? YOu've no idea what it costs and you want clubs to spend money on that rather than the multitude of other, far more deserving, needs

I've no problem with people saying we should get the small things right but some sort of perspective needs to be in place.

ya ok i know what ur saying dodge but these things would only need to be done once. clubs arent spending any money on grounds, thats kinda my point. these small things annoy me maybe not everyone.

brianw82
02/07/2009, 9:57 AM
Feck comfy sub seats. You don't want to make players want to be on the bench.

I sat in those seats when I visited the Bernebeu. I can now understand why a player would be happy to spend a season or two on that "bench" :)

Duggie
02/07/2009, 10:00 AM
well the bench was just an example - more of a broader point i was making.

Dodge
02/07/2009, 10:02 AM
clubs arent spending any money on grounds, thats kinda my point. these small things annoy me maybe not everyone.

Clubs spend a fortune on the maintenance of grounds. Even the crappy grounds are a pit for money

Duggie
02/07/2009, 10:04 AM
Clubs spend a fortune on the maintenance of grounds. Even the crappy grounds are a pit for money

well u wouldnt think it to look at them.

pineapple stu
02/07/2009, 10:06 AM
Only because you don't know how much goes in. We're out of Belfield Park 18 months, and it's literally falling down now; the fence has fallen in, some of the stand has come down (probably due to vandalism, but would still need to be repaired), there's weeds everywhere.

And can you spell out words like normal people? Thanks.

pixiehead
02/07/2009, 12:06 PM
ok seen as its quiet enough on here thought id say a few things that annoy me in the league. Seen as were not going to have any proper grounds here for the forseable future the little things always annoyed me in the grounds.

Like the hoarding, get if right and in place properly so it looks good. dont have it out of place here and there.

I take it this is about the Showgrounds ;) the untidiest ground in the league!!!

SalvadorSanchez
02/07/2009, 12:34 PM

Oh I think you've totally lost the run of yourself old son! if you draw up a list of priorities for any club, stuff like advertising hoardings and dugouts are right down the pecking order, at the moment a lot of clubs are doing well to keep the wages, water, pitch up-keep and electricity bills paid! (I dare say that some are not even managing that!) snazzy dugout with fancy leather seats are way down the list... lets face it they're in use for about 4 hours a month (2-3 home games per month) and 9 months a year... hardly worth spending 5 or 6 grand on them........

BohDiddley
02/07/2009, 12:41 PM
1. Pebble dash
2. Breeze blocks

Without them, everything would be perfect.

Duggie
02/07/2009, 12:50 PM
perception is everything, it just annoys me personally. Its the little things that make the difference IMO. but i obvisiouly i realise how tight money is as you all say. I just think were never going to be a big league but at the very least we could have the very basics in place.

Dodge
02/07/2009, 12:53 PM
perception is everything, it just annoys me personally. Its the little things that make the difference IMO. but i obvisiouly i realise how tight money is as you all say. I just think were never going to be a big league but at the very least we could have the very basics in place.

Luxury benches are not basics. The clue is in the name

Dalymountrower
02/07/2009, 12:53 PM
Ack, I thought this thread was going to be about Pat Fenlon.

You really must have remarkable tongue muscles to serve as supplicant accolyte in chief to both Tallaght Hoops and Derry?

marinobohs
02/07/2009, 1:02 PM
You really must have remarkable tongue muscles to serve as supplicant accolyte in chief to both Tallaght Hoops and Derry?

Dont bite Dalymounttrower. Its well known that derry city and Finn harps are one and the same (I think Finn Harps must be the irish name for Derry City):)

marinobohs
02/07/2009, 1:03 PM

Dont bite Dalymountrower. Its well known that derry city and Finn harps are one and the same (I think Finn Harps must be the irish name for Derry City):)

marinobohs
02/07/2009, 1:04 PM

Don't bite Dalymountrower. Its well known that Fin harps and derry city are one and the same (I think Finn Harps is some form of local gaelic for Derry City) :)

Duggie
02/07/2009, 1:08 PM
Luxury benches are not basics. The clue is in the name

suppose they would look a bit outa place in the "stadium of light" alright. :p

Mr A
02/07/2009, 1:20 PM

Riiiiiiiiight...... because making a joke about Fenlon being tiny is an obvious attempt to curry favour with Derry City and Shamrock Rovers.

Makes perfect sense.

Duggie
02/07/2009, 1:22 PM
hey - this is my thread and i make the jokes around here...:D fenlon isnt that tiny anyway.

Dodge
02/07/2009, 1:28 PM
Riiiiiiiiight...... because making a joke about Fenlon being tiny is an obvious attempt to curry favour with Derry City and Shamrock Rovers.

Makes perfect sense.

Finally you get it...

fionnsci
02/07/2009, 1:57 PM
Aren't Lucozade (or one of the new sponsors) supposed to be providing new dugouts for all teams?

SkStu
02/07/2009, 2:35 PM

Makes perfect sense.

Harps have been sleeping with Rovers for years. And you only hate Derry cos you know you cant have them. :rolleyes:

:)

blueblood
05/07/2009, 10:04 PM
Have to say i kinda agree wit what Duggie saying (except the bit about expensive dug outs:D). Things like tidying up the advertising hoardings into a nice level line and paint the walls up it can look better than looking at bits of half White Washed walls here and there, it just looks that bit more professional, and if the club had to get a local builder in to do it then give him a free sign instead of cash. Also some sort of timer on the wall to time games, as i always forget to time 2nd half, would be very handy and could probably be done on the cheap with someone sponsoring it, again i think little things like these look or at give the illusion that its more profesional:o

L.T.F.C.
05/07/2009, 10:25 PM
Have to say i kinda agree wit what Duggie saying (except the bit about expensive dug outs:D). Things like tidying up the advertising hoardings into a nice level line and paint the walls up it can look better than looking at bits of half White Washed walls here and there, it just looks that bit more professional, and if the club had to get a local builder in to do it then give him a free sign instead of cash. Also some sort of timer on the wall to time games, as i always forget to time 2nd half, would be very handy and could probably be done on the cheap with someone sponsoring it, again i think little things like these look or at give the illusion that its more profesional:o

Longford Town is one of the few clubs to have a scoreboard, with a timer.

Duggie makes a point... sort of. The FAI want stupid things like a child welfare officer and other shiit like that. i'm not saying that its not important, but what i'm saying is that the priorities are all over the place. clubs don't have a pot to piiss in, but still they're yakking on about that shiit. They should be concentrating on getting the stuff in the public eye in order to get more supporters out to the matches to get money into the clubs so that the whole game improves.

Sam_Heggy
06/07/2009, 1:19 PM
Don't bite Dalymountrower. Its well known that Fin harps and derry city are one and the same (I think Finn Harps is some form of local gaelic for Derry City) :)

You can say that again, and again and again.

Harps have been sleeping with Rovers for years. And you only hate Derry cos you know you cant have them.

Why do you build me up, buttercup, just to let me down and mess me around again?

Dodge
06/07/2009, 1:21 PM
Duggie makes a point... sort of. The FAI want stupid things like a child welfare officer and other shiit like that. i'm not saying that its not important, but what i'm saying is that the priorities are all over the place. clubs don't have a pot to piiss in, but still they're yakking on about that shiit. They should be concentrating on getting the stuff in the public eye in order to get more supporters out to the matches to get money into the clubs so that the whole game improves.

Its hilarious that you think a child welfare officer is less a priority than a lick of paint

marinobohs
06/07/2009, 1:25 PM

seriously are you a catholic priest or Sean Connor ?

stamullendrog
06/07/2009, 1:27 PM

probably the sensible answer.its kinda like where the camera is at united park showing the stand and away section which is fine if weve a big club,or bohs,in town but not fine if were playing say galway on a wednesday and they bring less than the numbers on their bench in support.makes it look like theres very few there when switching the camera would show the majority of the home crowd plus the banners/flags of the ultras

marinobohs
06/07/2009, 1:32 PM
probably the sensible answer.its kinda like where the camera is at united park showing the stand and away section which is fine if weve a big club,or bohs,in town but not fine if were playing say galway on a wednesday and they bring less than the numbers on their bench in support.makes it look like theres very few there when switching the camera would show the majority of the home crowd plus the banners/flags of the ultras

Presuming the away club is allowed tickets (especially if picking up the League title :D). Would also help maintain grounds if clubs that use them pay for them.

Keen2win
06/07/2009, 2:20 PM

:eek::D:D

stamullendrog
06/07/2009, 2:24 PM
Presuming the away club is allowed tickets (especially if picking up the League title :D). Would also help maintain grounds if clubs that use them pay for them.

now now keep that up and we wont use dalymount next time were in europe..............................:eek:

The Betting Man
06/07/2009, 2:47 PM
now now keep that up and we wont use dalymount next time were in europe..............................:eek:

Will we get paid for it this time ;)

sidcon
06/07/2009, 3:01 PM
Aren't Lucozade (or one of the new sponsors) supposed to be providing new dugouts for all teams?

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3803

The Football Association of Ireland today (November 17 2008) announced that it has signed a new six year commercial partnership agreement with Lucozade Sport, official sports drink sponsor to the FAI and eircom League of Ireland

The agreement starts in 2009 and will significantly increase Lucozade Sport’s sponsorship commitment to Irish football. The agreement will also include supply of product to elite footballers on all national senior and underage teams as well as League of Ireland clubs.

The FAI’s agreement with Lucozade Sport will provide additional benefits to the League of Ireland thanks to a commitment to buy advertising boards at all club grounds and make a significant capital contribution to all Premier Division clubs by providing new dugouts over the duration of the contract.

No calm down and be patient

thischarmingman
06/07/2009, 3:06 PM
Duggie makes a point... sort of. The FAI want stupid things like a child welfare officer and other shiit like that.

...but apart from the child protection officers, and other shiit like that, what have the FAI ever done for us?

http://content9.flixster.com/question/37/11/43/3711439_std.jpg

KianD
06/07/2009, 10:14 PM
Longford Town is one of the few clubs to have a scoreboard, with a timer.

Along with Harps, but someone who's Saturdays are their own rather than constant overtime will have to confirm if we've fixed it...

Schumi
06/07/2009, 10:30 PM
Along with Harps, but someone who's Saturdays are their own rather than constant overtime will have to confirm if we've fixed it...It was working when we were there but that was a few months ago.

ped_ped
07/07/2009, 2:25 AM
I'm all for making the league look professional but there's players to pay, pitches (bad ones, maybe) to fix... prioritize... why bother with the little touches when some of the basics haven't been worked out?

pineapple stu
07/07/2009, 9:30 AM
We've a scoreboard too, but it's stuck on 60-12 to us. Not complaining, mind! :)

blueblood
07/07/2009, 2:58 PM
I'm all for making the league look professional but there's players to pay, pitches (bad ones, maybe) to fix... prioritize... why bother with the little touches when some of the basics haven't been worked out?

Because the first thing people give out about IMO and first impressions last, give these people less excuses to stay away from LOI grounds, most people are happy with the illusion things are being done right and couldn't care less about whats really happening but at the moment lots of grounds look amatureish

Black and White
07/07/2009, 3:13 PM
The referees!

the-blue-harp
07/07/2009, 3:34 PM
yea the scoreboard at finn park was working on saturday night!

L.T.F.C.
07/07/2009, 11:00 PM
:eek::D:D

you're missing my point, and you didn't read all of the post. Keen2win, you should know that there is fuuck all children out in Flancare as with alot of clubs, but the clubs still have to pay, and worry about paying this officer when the need is not there. i reiterate: i'm not saying that its not important.

Its hilarious that you think a child welfare officer is less a priority than a lick of paint

seriously are you a catholic priest or Sean Connor ?
no i didn't say that, are you blind? what i'm saying, is that with alot of clubs especially in the first division, attendences are crap, and no need for child welfare officer, because there is no children there. this is when alot of grounds are dumps, and the quality of football is poor. this doesn't encourage people to bring their children out, or even bother going themselves, because the football is poor. so, this leaves it that, we have the expense of a child welfare officer, to look after no children, where the money could be spent on improving the stadium, and squads to improve the quality of football, to get more people out to the games, and then in turn bring in the need for a child welfare officer.
a child welfare officer should be thought of when the basics are sorted first.

Ezeikial
07/07/2009, 11:35 PM
Can anyone enlighted me as to what a child welfare officers' responsibilties are?

pineapple stu
08/07/2009, 8:46 AM
I think it's to go on a course about Child Welfare, and that's it. Don't bugger kids, don't be alone with them in dark alleys, make sure everyone in your club knows those rules, pick up a certificate and off home you go.

L.T.F.C.
08/07/2009, 9:59 PM
I think it's to go on a course about Child Welfare, and that's it. Don't bugger kids, don't be alone with them in dark alleys, make sure everyone in your club knows those rules, pick up a certificate and off home you go.

thank you stu. its basically a cert and weekly expense in common sense.