PDA

View Full Version : Stand up to Politically Correct ticketing

Pages : [1] 2

IrelandUnited
25/01/2004, 11:59 AM
I am sick and tired of the FAI going along with giving tickets to EL clubs but ignoring the Man Utd. and Liverpool supporters Clubs who represent the vast majority of Irish fans of football. Let's face a few facts:

1) 90% of the kids playing underage dream of playing for United or Liverpool not in the EL. No crime there.

2) 90% of the fans the FAI are happy to have and call the best in the world ane in truth United or Liverpool fans. This may upset some EL hardliners but it is simple truth.

3) Each club has more support in Ireland than all EL clubs combined with United by far the most popular club in Ireland north south east and west. United is not only the country's biggest club by a mile it is also a force for bringing people together. Scratch a Linfield or Bohs fan, an Glentoran or Rovers fan and you usually find a United fan or maybe Liverpool.

4) We should be encouraged cos the Irish fans show that despite all the stereotype thousands of United and Liverpool can actually get on together.

Let's stop the PC nonsense. The huge majority of the people at all Ireland games are United and Liverpool and should not be insulted by the FAI's ticketing arrangements.

joe
25/01/2004, 12:06 PM
shouldn't you be telling the FAI all this? :confused:

as for your stats, where did they come from?

Neil
25/01/2004, 12:10 PM
Shouldn't you be ironing your english jersey and getting ready to go to the pub?

:rolleyes:

brendy_éire
25/01/2004, 3:48 PM
What an arse you are. The eL fans get treated better by the FAI cos we are the FAI. Do you think the FAI would be around if there was no eL?

**** off back to your TV screen mucker.

Bald Student
25/01/2004, 4:49 PM
Originally posted by IrelandUnited
I am sick and tired of the FAI going along with giving tickets to EL clubs but ignoring the Man Utd. and Liverpool supporters

The huge majority of the people at all Ireland games are United and Liverpool and should not be insulted by the FAI's ticketing arrangements.

Which of these two statements is true?

If the huge majority of people at all Ireland games are Man Utd or Liverpool supporters, then the FAI cannot be discriminating against them by not selling them tickets.

Beavis
25/01/2004, 5:11 PM
I'm not a particular eL club fan (see Waterford now and again),but I have no problem with true eL fans being given preference.Haven't you been at a Senior International,who does all the singing?Liverpool fans?United Fans?
Anyway what is the fascination with supporting some town in another country with no connection or relevence to these people at all.:)

lopez
25/01/2004, 5:34 PM
Beavis. I think we can safely assume this is your not so better half, Butt - head? :rolleyes:

Beavis
25/01/2004, 6:02 PM
Presumably your refering to my latter statement.I expected yous to realise I meant people living here,obviously there's a significance for people actually living in England.

People I know say to me that they were for example delighted that Man U won today,I say and why exactly did that delight you?
Manchester,a town in North England, them an Irishman from Dublin,sorry but I fail to see the connection.
At least if it was Celtic there would be an argument/basis for wanting to follow them.(some may argue there's not)

Anyway agree or disagree that's my opinion,I don't see the resoning behind supporting a team that has nothing whatso ever to do with someone.But obviously they're entitled too and I wouldn't criticise them I just can't see the point.

lopez
25/01/2004, 6:40 PM
Sorry Beavis, but I was referring to our new amigo banging on about how come United/Liverpool/Ipswich Town etc. supporters aren't getting a fair deal from the FAI and using crap statistics which Bald Student rightly points out are sh*te. Hence the suggestion for a more appropriate username.

Support your country's domestic game! Otherwise you may as well buy yourself a three w*nkers across my chest shirt and follow the tans. Not much difference between them and United or any other English club as far as I'm concerned.

Gary
25/01/2004, 6:54 PM
Is Does anyone actually believe that this guy is being serious, and not on a wind up?

Ireland United? Isnt that some sorta IRA slogan??

IrelandUnited
25/01/2004, 7:00 PM
The discrimination is in that there will be a set aside number of tickets for EL fans whereas Man Utd. fans who, whether you like it or not, ARE the majority get no such preference through they supporters clubs.

That is all I am saying. You can insult all you like by referring to three wa*kers and tans but you are simply insulting the majority of your fellow Ireland fans. The vast majority of football related conversations at work tomorrow morning will be about Man U today or Liverpool yesterday and you can insult all you like the fact is I am right and feel no need to apologise for it just to please some agenda.

Good luck to EL teams. I have every respect for them but please do not get all high and mighty and insult a fellow fan who has the honesty to admit he is a United fan and ask for a fair crack of the whip.

Gary
25/01/2004, 7:11 PM
This is a wake up call to all "Irish" celtic?ManUtd/Chelsea/Torquay Utd fans. All the above teams are English. If you feel aggrieved for not eggting tickets to your chosen international country, contact the FA in Lancaster gate. I believe its in London, England somewhere.

Afterall, you are an English supporter, are you not?

Now, go away.

soccerc
25/01/2004, 7:17 PM
I am sick and tired of the FAI going along with giving tickets to EL clubs but ignoring the Man Utd. and Liverpool supporters Clubs who represent the vast majority of Irish fans of football. Let's face a few facts:

1) 90% of the kids playing underage dream of playing for United or Liverpool not in the EL. No crime there.

2) 90% of the fans the FAI are happy to have and call the best in the world ane in truth United or Liverpool fans. This may upset some EL hardliners but it is simple truth.

3) Each club has more support in Ireland than all EL clubs combined with United by far the most popular club in Ireland north south east and west. United is not only the country's biggest club by a mile it is also a force for bringing people together. Scratch a Linfield or Bohs fan, an Glentoran or Rovers fan and you usually find a United fan or maybe Liverpool.

4) We should be encouraged cos the Irish fans show that despite all the stereotype thousands of United and Liverpool can actually get on together.

Let's stop the PC nonsense. The huge majority of the people at all Ireland games are United and Liverpool and should not be insulted by the FAI's ticketing arrangements.

Politically correct - I don't think so. Postive discrimination, Most probably.

But one reason why the FAI acknowledge fans of eircom League clubs is that there would be no international team without a senior domestic league.

The ppl who support eircom League clubs should therefore have access to international tickets.

As for the reasons we get these tickets perhaps you could go away and do your homework first and then tell me how and why it came about.

Secondly can you stand over your stats and claims?

IrelandUnited
25/01/2004, 7:20 PM
Do you insult all your workmates and friends face to face as well Gary?

If we all "go away" there will be no one left for heaven's sake. I am not being bitter to you but listen to yourself. I have been going to Ireland games for donkey's years. I am also a fan of the most popular club in the country as are thousands of others. OK they are based in England. So what?

Do we have to take the boat? are we less Irish than you? What do you do in football conversations at work? Pretend it isn't about United.

IrelandUnited
25/01/2004, 7:27 PM
soccerc I use 90% and maybe that is a figure taken from thin air but you can't seriously believe that there is any doubt that between them United and Liverpool represent the huge majority of Irish fans. Go to any pub when the two play each other and it is packed.

I love United and always have. You can love EL and good for you I hope you enjoy it I truly do. My point is simply that the PC attitude to people like me is insulting and there is more and more of it from the tiny minority who take it upon themselves to be "real fans".

Peadar
25/01/2004, 7:57 PM
you can't seriously believe that there is any doubt that between them United and Liverpool represent the huge majority of Irish fans.

I may be way off the mark here but I assume that being fans of football, the majority of eL fans also take an interest in clubs who participate in foreign leagues. I don't think it's reasonable to distinguish between someone who follows Liverpool and someone who follows Limerick. There are people who follow the eircom League and there are those who do not.
Certain interested parties brokered a deal with the FAI on behalf of the eircom League supporters to ensure that they could be accomodated in one area of the ground. They should be commended for this achievement. I can assure you that the majority of people getting tickets under this agreement were already going to Ireland games. The major difference is that it's now organised.

Bosco
25/01/2004, 7:57 PM
:p :p :p :p :p I'm laughing at you ireland united.I honestly feel sorry for you.There heve been many stupid posts on this message board but your posts top the lot.

soccerc
25/01/2004, 8:06 PM
You can love EL and good for you I hope you enjoy it I truly do. My point is simply that the PC attitude to people like me is insulting and there is more and more of it from the tiny minority who take it upon themselves to be "real fans".

You've missed my point completely.

Firstly, it was not a politically correct decision to provide tickets to eL fans for one section of the ground. In my humble opinion it was the correct decision even though it was difficult to broker.

Secondly, you use the words Irelandunited as your nick and as Peadar rightly pointed out many of those now going as eircom league supporters were already going regardless.

However, we are now going as one "United" grouping, as supporters of eL clubs providing atmosphere and vocal support.

As for "Real Fans" I can't stand that tag but understand where some are coming from in the use of the phrase.

IrelandUnited
25/01/2004, 8:09 PM
Originally posted by Bosco
:p :p :p :p :p I'm laughing at you ireland united.I honestly feel sorry for you.There heve been many stupid posts on this message board but your posts top the lot.

Considering what I am saying is true I find that strange. As for feeling sorry for me that is the kind of offensive little Irelandism that ignores reality.

Fair play to the fellas who organmized the EL ticket scheme but the tone of some posts on here reveal exactly what I am saying. Tiny little self appointed elite laughing and feeling sorry for people who honestly express an opinion about our football which happens to be true - offensive to the chosen ones but true anyway.

Bosco
25/01/2004, 8:54 PM
No one here will disagree that the majority of soccer fans in ireland are man u or liverpool fans.But the fact that you think that these fans should be rewarded for spending there money supporting british clubs is why i feel sorry for you.

Why do you think the fai started the el section?
To try and encourage people to go to eircom league games and convert them into el fans instead of barstoolers.This is also the reason that at the georgia match they gave out free tickets to an el game.
So you are a barstooler,something the fai are trying to stop and you think that you and your fellow barstoolers should allocated tickets for ireland games by the fai.

And as for what do el fans talk about when everyone else is talking about the premiership etc.
Do you think that we go to el games and then watch no other soccer.We are soccer fans not just el fans.I'll watch any soccer from kilkenny city to bolton to sparta prague.I know almost as much about soccer in england as i do about irish soccer.I often find i know more about english soccer than most people who claim to support english teams.

And the point was made that all the noise comes from the el section at internationals.I was on the south terrace(where the majority of people are liverpool and man u supporters) for the russia game and it was a terrible atmosphere the only people singing were me a fella in a shels jersey and some fella who i think may have had a little too many.And when i say sing i mean sing to all the songs not just come on u boys in green,ole ole etc.

lopez
25/01/2004, 9:57 PM
I wish you were so right mate, I really do.

Unfortunately there are loads of people in Ireland that think its great following a foreign team that they have no connection with (lived in the city, parents from the city, relations living in that city etc) or that has no connection with Ireland (Celtic, Hibernian, Dundee United and definitely not Man Ure). The Guinness book of Records lists Man Ure as being the world's best supported club. It also lists them having nearly 100 supporters clubs in Ireland alone (hopefully this includes the North). Look it up yourself. I don't think there are 100 decent sized towns in Ireland. Even the prime minister is Man Ure. What a f*ckin disgrace.

I'd give a ticket to some psycho who's been banned from every ground in Ireland before I'd give a barstool, glory - hunter, never bothered with that League of Ireland ****e 'real fan' a ticket. At least to get barred from Irish football you would have at least to have shown your face at a game at least once.

And what a total load of b*llocks about the 'real fans' supporting English teams. More people support an EL club on Ireland trips than the tan lovers. Look at the flags at games. IrelandUnited, were you one of the thousands that turned up in 1992 to the friendly between Ireland and your beloved tan team wearing a Man Ure shirt? What a proud day to be Irish. Don't know why we bothered getting independence with f*ckers like you and Bertie around.

IrelandUnited
25/01/2004, 11:20 PM
Bosco actually has a point and I would repeat that I've been supporting Ireland since the days of Grealish and Martin long before Jack and the "Big Event" followers in 88 to 94 many of whom are gone now if recent attendances are to be taken as a sign so I won't be lectured on barstooling on a national team forum though I do watch United on barstools in pubs playing club football just as the vast majority of Irish football fans do so we are all guilty.

Lopez? Well when I hear about the "tans" I turn off. Something of a rant I'm afraid Lopez and way over the top. You admit the majority are man U but call us all "fcukers" cos we don't pass the test you and the real Irish pose for us. You have a nerve I grant you to judge thousands of your countrymen like that though as I say it is becoming increasingly common. I have not once criticised EL on this thread or have I been nasty to anyone who supports it. I have asked why Man U support do not get equal access and as has been said it is because no proper lobbying. I accept that point.

Beavis
25/01/2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by lopez
I was referring to our new amigo banging on about how come United/Liverpool/Ipswich Town etc.

Apologies I interpreted this completely wrong.:D

As regards our Man U fan,he is at least correct in saying that the majority of fans at Landsdowne are indeed like himself and sadly that is the problem with the place these days.You've stumbled into the wrong site I'm afraid,and I don't mean to be harsh but you won't find a soul here to back you up.

I was in the south terrace....it was a terrible atmosphere
Yeah as you might have seen we're hoping to do something about that,if your going to the south for the Brazil game do join us.

Macy
26/01/2004, 7:41 AM
WUM :rolleyes:

finlma
26/01/2004, 9:07 AM
I live in England and also support an English club (not Man Ure or Boringpool either) but in no way do I believe that people supporting English clubs should have an equal right to international tickets.
If it wasn't for the EL there's no way we'd have had so much success internationally and these clubs deserve their ticket allocation. I attended all Kilkenny City home games as a youngster and the people that turn up there every week still(despite their position) are far more worthy of tickets for Ireland games.
Do you think people in England that support a Spanish or Italian club should be allocated tickets for England games? Of course not.

Your argument is silly Ireland United.

tiktok
26/01/2004, 11:16 AM
The discrimination is in that there will be a set aside number of tickets for EL fans whereas Man Utd. fans who, whether you like it or not, ARE the majority get no such preference through they supporters clubs.

Nor should they. Man Utd contribute nothing to the FAI, Irish football fans sitting in a bar watching Man Utd on the telly contribute nothing to the FAI. Man Utd fans travelling to England to watch the at Old traffford don't even contibute to the irish exchequer.

Our national broadcaster (driven by advertising revenues) shows Man Utd regularly while your national league (it is whether you like it or not) received a paltry three games on national TV last year, because of the abundance of Man Utd fans on this Island.

.....by the way, I support Man Utd.

The El allocation served a dual purpose. It organised fans (who, as had been pointed out were attending the games anyway) into a vocal united to lend greater volume to the support of the national team. it also allowed the FAI to show that there was colour and noise and (dare i say it) craic to be had among EL supporters. the hope being that the barstoolers would feel they were missing out (which they are) and go to EL games.

Why do the FAI want people going to EL games I hear you ask. Simple, because the EL is the FAI, El fans contribute week in, week out to the coffers of the FAI and therefore to the grassroots in the game, to training those kids you mention while they wear Man Utd jerseys and dream of playing abroad. There's been debates here on who the real fans are, who deserves tickets etc.

You say you've been going to Ireland games for years, well if that's true, that's why you deserve your ticket, not because you sit in a Pub with a pint in your hand and watch a Man utd game on sky, or because you fork over 300yoyos every three months to travel to Manchester.

There are many people in this country who support Celtic, Man Utd, liverpool or Ipswich. That's fine by me, what annoys me is when they knock the EL without any reason.

And IU, you didn't give any Reasons why the allocation should be discontinued or extended to include united fans, you just whined that there were more of 'you' than there were of 'us'.

SÓC
26/01/2004, 11:32 AM
UnitedIreland think of it like this.

If you have a spare few tickets for an Ireland match are you going to give them to

a) your friend/relation who helps you out with money, who pays part of your wages, who will give you the use (for free) of big organised fans groups and all their colour or

b) your English cousin who you see three or for times a year and actually gives money to your rival down the road more than he gives to you.

republic
26/01/2004, 11:40 AM
Here we go again....

The vast majority of sports fans in the country have an interest in the Premiership. Quite a few travel to the UK on an intermittent (or more regular basis) to see games. Unfortunately, a significant number of those fans have little or no interest in the eL. Many are not prepared to stand in sub-standard grounds (it would be an insult to call them 'stadiums') watching football which relative to other countries is, at very best, mediocre.

The FAI should be applauded in involving eL fans in the national team. The eL fans have added significantly to the colour and atmosphere at Lansdowne Road on match days and it is only right and proper that the FAI allocate tickets to eL fans in recognition of their support of local soccer.

However to suggest or imply that those who do not support the eL should not receive tickets for international matches is a joke. Many of those who regularly travel abroad supporting the national team do not actively support an eL club. Similarly with the many thousands of block-bookers who have been on the FAI booking scheme for over a decade. Quite a few are more at home in Parkhead than, for instance, the luxurious ( :D ) surroundings of St Mels Park. Any suggestion that eL supporters should get preference over others is elitism of the worst kind.

liamon
26/01/2004, 11:48 AM
the "Big Event" followers in 88 to 94 many of whom are gone now if recent attendances are to be taken as a sign

Isn't that the point. Man Utd, Liverpool, etc fans can't be relied upon to turn up regularly. They prefer to sit in a pub, get drunk and shout abuse at the strange box thing in the corner with the moving images.
Why should these people get rewarded with tickets for glamour ties like Brazil/France?

The eL guys go to live games all the time and are more likely to turn up to watch a friendly against the Faroe Islands than any barstooler.

By the way, I'm also a MUFC fan, but don't think that should entitle me to a ticket allocation for FAI games.

pineapple stu
26/01/2004, 12:25 PM

Maybe 90% of Irish football fans "support" an English team. This involves going down to the pub and having a quiet chat while occasionally being distracted by what's on the screen. When these people go to an Ireland match, they have a quiet chat while occasionally being distracted by what's on the pitch. The Ireland manager himself noticed this and was among the first to call for an increased amount of eircom Legaue fans to gather at games and improve the atmosphere. And by and large, it's been a success. So the reason eL fans have their grouping is at the behest of Brian Kerr.

But then of course, he was never involved in English football, so what would he know?:rolleyes:

Plastic Paddy
26/01/2004, 12:30 PM
Jesus, you're all getting hot-headed over something that has a nice easy rationale. (Something that appears to happen rather too often of late, and one of the reasons I've not posted much recently. But I digress.)

There's a simple justification for why fans from eL clubs are allocated tickets when fans of foreign clubs are not. It's because eL clubs are affiliated to the FAI. Simple. It's just how the IRFU allocate many of their tickets, and by encouraging membership of affiliate clubs, makes good marketing sense for all concerned.

The day Manchester United affiliate to the FAI, they'll no doubt have a strong case to apply for a block of tickets. However, their affiliation to the FA of England means that, for now at least, any tickets they do receive for international matches will be for exclusively for England games. End of story.

IrelandUnited, I'm sorry you've taken a bashing from people on here for your view. I don't agree with you personally (I'm a Celtic fan, so don't have a chance of benefitting the way you suggest either), but you do have a right to say what you think without being crucified for it. This otherwise excellent site would be better still if others were sure to respect that.

:) PP

Schumi
26/01/2004, 1:16 PM
Originally posted by republic
The vast majority of sports fans in the country have an interest in the Premiership. Quite a few travel to the UK on an intermittent (or more regular basis) to see games. Unfortunately, a significant number of those fans have little or no interest in the eL. Many are not prepared to stand in sub-standard grounds (it would be an insult to call them 'stadiums') watching football which relative to other countries is, at very best, mediocre. Well they should be happy to be excluded from a sub-standard Lansdowne Road (it would be an insult to call it a 'stadium') watching football which relative to other countries is, at very best, mediocre.

However to suggest or imply that those who do not support the eL should not receive tickets for international matches is a joke. Who said that? All that has been said is that supporters' clubs of British teams shouldn't get a ticket allocation.

lopez
26/01/2004, 1:38 PM
Lopez? Well when I hear about the "tans" I turn off. Something of a rant I'm afraid Lopez and way over the top.
You haven't seen over the top yet. However what do you expect when you post a pile of sh*te. Here, this is what you wrote: 'I am sick and tired of the FAI going along with giving tickets to EL clubs but ignoring the Man Utd. and Liverpool supporters Clubs who represent the vast majority of Irish fans of football.' The FAI ignoring Man U and Liverpool fans? How? What this is about is that you don't feel the need to see your local football in your country because of the 'quality' found abroad - and thus feel aggrieved that the FAI are trying to encourage larger attendances at these clubs - but demand what is to all intents and purposes preferential treatment to see 'quality' football in your country through the national team. Says it all.

You admit the majority are man U...
Sorry I admitted no such thing. I said there are loads of you but that in my opinion most Irish fans I've met in 22 years actively follow Ireland support an EL club. They may support in addition a foreign team due to the brainwashing they get from down market British rags masquerading as Irish tabloid newspapers but that's another thing. A foreign club's supporters may have outnumbered Irish fans at a friendly a decade ago but then the tickets for that game weren't distributed through EL clubs.

...but call us all "fcukers" cos we don't pass the test you and the real Irish pose for us.
I don't see much of the EL clubs but I have seen some great games. Sligo Rovers away to Bruges in 1994 was brilliant. Derry City away to Cardiff City in 1988 was also tops. Both games where the supposedly inferior League of Ireland excelled itself. I've seen some good Cork and Cobh games. I've seen some dire ones. While the likes of Man Ure with huge financial clout will find no difficulty dealing with any EL team, the quality of football is often in the marketing. Thanks to the attraction of English football, no Irish club has a quality ground to host internationals when and if Lansdowne Road is refurbished. I see on another thread that you mock the FAI's need to go abroad. Well it's not through their own choice. The vast majority of football associations in Europe do not own the ground their national team plays on. They all belong to clubs - limited companies mostly - or the government or private institutions, and the FA hires them out. Thanks to the attraction of football, the FAI have to fill the void left between a poorly attended league and a successful national team through money better spent on a regional football academy for promising youngsters.

You have a nerve I grant you to judge thousands of your countrymen like that though as I say it is becoming increasingly common.
:rolleyes:

I have not once criticised EL on this thread or have I been nasty to anyone who supports it. I have asked why Man U support do not get equal access and as has been said it is because no proper lobbying. I accept that point.
I refer you to the above quote from your first post which you may well don't remember posting.

BTW. I asked a question which you have failed to answer. Who did you support when Ireland played Man Ure at Lansdowne Road on August 9 1992?

republic
26/01/2004, 2:32 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Well they should be happy to be excluded from a sub-standard Lansdowne Road (it would be an insult to call it a 'stadium') watching football which relative to other countries is, at very best, mediocre.

Who said that? All that has been said is that supporters' clubs of British teams shouldn't get a ticket allocation.

Re: Lansdowne. It is not international standard and hasn't been for some time. It needs to be re-developed or a new stadium built elsewhere. The sooner the better.

Re. Ticket allocation. Agree that ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal etc supporters clubs should not be entitled to tickets. However eL supporters should not automatically receive tickets ahead of those who are not active eL supporters. The majority of block-bookers I know do not support the eL and only have a passing interest in it. Similarly with many of those who travel abroad to support the national team. Sad but true.

tiktok
26/01/2004, 3:21 PM
Re. Ticket allocation. Agree that ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal etc supporters clubs should not be entitled to tickets. However eL supporters should not automatically receive tickets ahead of those who are not active eL supporters

They don't republic, and we're no-one here has said they should. We don't want to go down the 'Real Fan' road again.

The EL fans have been allocated a relatively small number of tickets for the North terrace. They are not doing any block booker out of a ticket. As has been said many times before, the EL fans are people who were already attending games, but now stick together on the North terrace in an organised fashion to create greater vocal support.

republic
26/01/2004, 3:24 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
The EL fans have been allocated a relatively small number of tickets for the North terrace. They are not doing any block booker out of a ticket. As has been said many times before, the EL fans are people who were already attending games, but now stick together on the North terrace in an organised fashion to create greater vocal support.

As I said previously, the eL fans have brought much needed colour and atmosphere into Lansdowne on match day. Well done to them and congrats to the FAI for the initiative to involve them at a greater level.

IrelandUnited
26/01/2004, 8:22 PM
Lopez to answer your question I would not support united instead of ireland. I won't ask you if you support your club instead of the national team since answers to such questions establish nothing.

It's the same old same old in Ireland. Some of us cannot or will not accept the reality of the country we live in.

The red tops masquerading as Irish papers are in fact willingly bought by hundreds of thousands. Bad taste perhaps but no one forces them.

Most of us look abroad for quality football. Irksome for the patriots among us but nonetheless the democratic free choice of the people.

An Irish Indo article today said that 80% of the Irish have positive feelings toward England. a good thing and a sign of maturity and willingness to accept who we are which is a country intimately linked to England which avidly devours English culture from magazines to sit coms, from football to horse racing and with some exceptions is wholly happy with that.

I realise some people might be uneasy about this and in my younger days I would have been more inclined to moan but why not be open with ourselves and stop the "us" good "Brits" bad tan hating stuff when the daily behaviour of the Irish people reveals it means nothing to them. The alternative is to be a little bitter group talking to ourselves.

Neil
26/01/2004, 8:38 PM
Lopez to answer your question I would not support united instead of ireland. I won't ask you if you support your club instead of the national team since answers to such questions establish nothing.

It's the same old same old in Ireland. Some of us cannot or will not accept the reality of the country we live in.

The red tops masquerading as Irish papers are in fact willingly bought by hundreds of thousands. Bad taste perhaps but no one forces them.

Most of us look abroad for quality football. Irksome for the patriots among us but nonetheless the democratic free choice of the people.

An Irish Indo article today said that 80% of the Irish have positive feelings toward England. a good thing and a sign of maturity and willingness to accept who we are which is a country intimately linked to England which avidly devours English culture from magazines to sit coms, from football to horse racing and with some exceptions is wholly happy with that.

I realise some people might be uneasy about this and in my younger days I would have been more inclined to moan but why not be open with ourselves and stop the "us" good "Brits" bad tan hating stuff when the daily behaviour of the Irish people reveals it means nothing to them. The alternative is to be a little bitter group talking to ourselves.

What's your point???

IrelandUnited
26/01/2004, 10:25 PM
My point is very simple Neil. I expressed a view that man U supporters clubs ( I am in one) should be treated as equals to EL supporters for tickets.

Controversial I admit and some of the lads replied with thoughtful responses that i think hold water. However lopez started on the Tan support thing and the barstool baiting snobbery which so many man u fans (who are numbered in thousands) have to listen to from some unrepresentative zealots. I was asked why we had bothered getting independence as if that has anything to do with who you support.

I'm simply pointing out that that kind of attitude simply does not fit with modern Ireland and is to be regretted. If we follow that Little irelandism logic to its depressing conclusion we might as well pack it in.

lopez
26/01/2004, 10:33 PM
Lopez to answer your question I would not support united instead of ireland.
Great! You wore a green shirt that day while thousands others wore red.

Oh, we've come to 'accept' it. Problem is we want to see a successful Irish football club in Europe (if not clubs) instead of a successful foreign club.

Bad taste sells.

Democratic of course, but don't expect the FAI to sit back and watch the local game die for your democratic right to watch foreign football. By looking abroad for 'quality football' there is the perpetuation of a vicious cycle leading to the destruction of the local game. You complained about having 'seen my association trawl England for grannies and a stadium to play in' and yet by putting money into the foreign game you are leaving the FAI no choice. Which would you rather see, a poor Irish team that from your aversion to local football you would not bother watching, or a half decent Irish team including a couple of players with tenuous Irish connections, some of whom may play for Man Ure or Liverpool?

The same is largely returned in Britain and having an Irish accent is far more advantageous now than in the late seventies and early eighties, and I know personally that Irish dancing is now strongly made up of participants with no Irish connections. Quite what this has to do with you insisting that the FAI cease giving advantages (and by the sound of things there hardly that advantageous) to supporters of the local game is lost on me.

I take it you object to the use of the word 'tans'. Well maybe when the footballing public of that nation can come to Dublin without smashing up our stadium - despite that is exactly what is needed - then I will be a bit more PC (ironic or what?). Oh and spare me the 'it's only a minority line' which is more cr*p. This isn't being anti-English, which is brought up every time I dare mention the subject. As you can see I still live in the country of my own free will which suggests that I must like it, and most of its people, quite a bit.

Peadar
27/01/2004, 10:55 AM
The majority of block-bookers I know do not support the eL and only have a passing interest in it. Similarly with many of those who travel abroad to support the national team.

That's probably because man utd and liverpool fans seem to have no clothes other than the shirts of their beloved club so they are more noticeable abroad.
I have some great pictures of people away at Ireland games in eL shirts. No shortage of them abroad I can assure you...

lopez
27/01/2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Peadar
That's probably because man utd and liverpool fans seem to have no clothes other than the shirts of their beloved club so they are more noticeable abroad.
I have some great pictures of people away at Ireland games in eL shirts. No shortage of them abroad I can assure you...
Go to the low or middle ranking games or even the U21 games and EL fans are in the ascendancy of supporters from Ireland. It's the big 'quality' games where the tan team fans emerge. Last year I flew to Geneva and got the train up to Neuchatel when I saw a group of lads, some in Liverpool shirts behind me on the train. We got off and they stayed on for Basel. I mean they were passing the place where the future stars of Ireland were playing, but because the football (or more to the point the stadium or the occasion) wasn't of high enough quality they had to get up to the fake Irish bars and talk about last week's miss by Owen or whatever?:rolleyes:

BTW: First question always from these people for us plastics is 'What team do you support over in England?' I always say Bohemians. The silence is wonderful! :D The second?... Who will you support if we meet yous in the play-offs?:mad:

Plastic Paddy
27/01/2004, 11:22 AM
First question always from these people for us plastics is 'What team do you support over in England?' I always say Bohemians. The silence is wonderful! The second?... Who will you support if we meet yous in the play-offs?

On the first point, didn't I see you mention recently hereabouts that you might try Kenilworth Road for size? :eek: Stick with the Bohs; marginally better for one's health, I hear...

On the second, yep, know that one well. :mad: Alternatively, some of the more caring eejits try the "thanks for supporting us" line. Especially funny when I'm wearing an Ireland shirt and wrapped in a tricolour, non? :rolleyes: Last time someone did it, I offered them my glasses and told them to go to an optician. Went down like pork chops at a bar mitzvah dinner.

:D PP

Macy
27/01/2004, 11:24 AM
My point is very simple Neil. I expressed a view that man U supporters clubs ( I am in one) should be treated as equals to EL supporters for tickets.
Outted as either WUM, or at the very least an extremely part time United fan (or perhaps most likely a 13 year old)....

NO Manchester United fan, in even the extreme sense of the word would refer to them as Man U - Manchester United, United, Man United even, but ManU!?!?! Fúck off....

lopez
27/01/2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
On the first point, didn't I see you mention recently hereabouts that you might try Kenilworth Road for size? Stick with the Bohs; marginally better for one's health, I hear...

PP. Sorry we haven't had a chat recently but I've been busy cyber-rucking. Hope you had a good Xmas. If you saw your dad I hope you said hello and secondly that he remembers me.

Kenilworth Road is an attempt (laboured no doubt) at humour on my part. On the OWC forum someone said that as I'm from 'ertfordshure I must be a Luton fan as all the 'beggars' there support them. Hence my sudden but albeit brief affection for the 'atters.

Bohs not my team either, but mention them (any EL club will do) to Irish soccer snobs and it's like telling them their mother has just dropped dead. I'm like you in that having not lived in Ireland I'm having to look at my parents' (or in my case, father's) roots and finding more than one locality to take a team. Dublin born father, brought up in Kildare, grandparents from Galway. Added that most LOI football I watched was in Cork whenever Conchita would drag me over (yeah I know! I even got a CC shirt for the Italia 90 such was my love for the quare one). Since mi suegra has moved out to the wild west past Macroom, I'm waiting for a team from Tralee to enter the EL. In the meantime, I'm planning to go and watch Kildare County with foot.ie poster Sylvo and a couple of others from the Stallion county at some point as he's over a lot doing up his retirement house.

Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
On the second, yep, know that one well. :mad: Alternatively, some of the more caring eejits try the "thanks for supporting us" line. Especially funny when I'm wearing an Ireland shirt and wrapped in a tricolour, non? :rolleyes: Last time someone did it, I offered them my glasses and told them to go to an optician. Went down like pork chops at a bar mitzvah dinner.
Yes that 'thanks for supporting us' is as standing joke amongst many of us plastics. One mate of Monaghan parentage, whenever he says goodbye calls out as your walking off and says 'oh, and thanks for coming lads' with that patronising look.

Originally posted by Macy
Outted as either WUM, or at the very least an extremely part time United fan...
Well he did say he would not support Man Ure ahead of Ireland

...(or perhaps most likely a 13 year old)....
13 year old. :eek: :eek: Oh f*ck, I hope the lads from Operation Ore aren't reading this or I'm in deep mierda.

NO Manchester United fan, in even the extreme sense of the word would refer to them as Man U - Manchester United, United, Man United even, but ManU!?!?!
What about Man Ure?

Fúck off....
Ah now, that's not very nice. :D

pineapple stu
27/01/2004, 12:38 PM
My point is very simple Neil. I expressed a view that man U supporters' clubs (I am in one) should be treated as equals to EL supporters for tickets.

Read my earlier post IrelandUnited - eL fans get their allocation at the request of the national team's manager. He wanted more eL fans in the ground for atmosphere and noise. Maybe if youz made some noise in Lansdowne, the arrangement wouldn't be there.

Peadar
27/01/2004, 1:30 PM
Since mi suegra has moved out to the wild west past Macroom, I'm waiting for a team from Tralee to enter the EL.

Not impressed with that comment!
Macroom is not without it's Cork City FC supporters (know a few in Tralee as well actually). Was in Macroom around Christmas and you could buy the new Cork City shirt there.
Cork City FC will be the most talked about team in the eircom League next season and for all the right reasons.
Need a new Cork City FC home shirt? (http://www.eirways.com/citynet/gallery/jerseylaunch2004/12_G) I'm sure we can arrange one for you.
Give our National League a chance, you might find it's much more entertaining than you thought!

Macy
27/01/2004, 2:16 PM
Need a new Cork City FC home shirt? (http://www.eirways.com/citynet/gallery/jerseylaunch2004/12_G) I'm sure we can arrange one for you.
Ah Peader, I thought you were trying to encourage him, that shirt will surely put him off. :)

lopez
27/01/2004, 3:03 PM
Not impressed with that comment!
Macroom is not without it's Cork City FC supporters (know a few in Tralee as well actually). Was in Macroom around Christmas and you could buy the new Cork City shirt there.
Cork City FC will be the most talked about team in the eircom League next season and for all the right reasons.
OK. OK. Will promise to stick with CC. It just means a dry night as I'll have to get a car from somewhere (I'm out in Ballyvaughney). .:( Thanks for the shirt link. I know what to get Conchita for her birthday now. :)

Give our National League a chance, you might find it's much more entertaining than you thought!
Peader, you're preaching to the converted here in case you haven't noticed. A load of us from London were out in that depressing place Cwmbran you played in a few years ago.

lopez
27/01/2004, 3:06 PM
Ah Peader, I thought you were trying to encourage him, that shirt will surely put him off. :)
Aye currumba. Have you see the two beauties modelling the shirts.:eek: :eek: :eek: It's chick Central.