PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship students

pineapple stu
23/01/2004, 6:36 PM
We've signed up 14 new players on scholarship, and the word is that four or five are looking at going straight into the first team squad this season. Much better than last year's intake is the word!

No word on anyone else leaving - none being touted anyway.

Touch wood touch wood!

UCD_4_Life
23/01/2004, 7:56 PM
Good shtuff.

At least we'll actually have some players next season!

Bald Student
24/01/2004, 1:22 PM
Where did you hear this? Are the scholorships not awarded in September?

UCD_4_Life
24/01/2004, 2:18 PM
Originally posted by Bald Student
Where did you hear this? Are the scholorships not awarded in September?

They changed it for Summer Soccer, did they not?

Bald Student
24/01/2004, 2:35 PM
I don't see how, the CAO results still come out in August. Are the new scholorships awarded to existing UCD students, or to students who are sitting their Leaving Cert. this year?

pineapple stu
25/01/2004, 4:42 PM
Whatever about the ins and outs of it, they have changed it for summer soccer. Was talking to Dick Shakespeare on Friday. Dont forget that in recent seasons, the likes of Alan Cawley, Hugh Davey, Pat Sullivan, Robbie Doyle, Kevin Grogan and others have all pretty much walked into our team from the scholarship - let's hope we're after getting another one or two of their class! Also, Doolo didn't care about the scholarships, whereas now we've got Eddie Wallace in full-time control of it, so I'd say the scholarships we get in in the next few seasons could be among the best ever touch wood touch wood!!

Bald Student
25/01/2004, 6:23 PM
Sounds good. Fourteen is a big number of new players as well. I checked the UCD website there, and there are 12 scholorships for men's soccer this term. 14 new players, on top of the existing players who stay on, represents a big expansion of the scheme.

Aberdonian Stu
26/01/2004, 9:42 AM
Am I the last of the pedants?

For the two of you who got it wrong: scholarships

Schumi
26/01/2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Was talking to Dick Shakespeare on Friday. I was wondering where you'd got all this news from!

One of the scholarships is a centre midfielder from Bohs' under 21s who Maccer reckons is good.