PDA

View Full Version : Roddy gets a job

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

soccerc
28/06/2009, 10:48 AM
Floriana F.C. of Malta are delighted to announce that Roddy Collins, former double-winning manager of Bohemians F.C., will be officially unveiled as manager on Tuesday 30th June

brianw82
28/06/2009, 11:21 AM
Source?

Their website isn't displaying the club news.

Dunny
28/06/2009, 11:22 AM
Who's Richie Sadlier going to laugh at now...?

Red&White Rover
28/06/2009, 11:35 AM
How far away is Malta? It is far away isn't it? Oh please god be far away.

Hairy Bowsie
28/06/2009, 11:41 AM
It's far enough so that he won't be gracing our screens while he's working there. So let me be the first to wish Roddy lots of sucess with his new job.

mediahack
28/06/2009, 11:54 AM
Floriana F.C. of Malta are delighted to announce that Roddy Collins, former double-winning manager of Bohemians F.C., will be officially unveiled as manager on Tuesday 30th June

God help them there!!!!

They finished bottom of the league on 16 points - 26 behind Hibernians and 9 behind the next best team!

Their league divides in two for the promotion and relegation and they were bottom of the top tier!

He is already talking about recruiting from here but they are only allowed 3 foreign players!

superfrank
28/06/2009, 11:55 AM
3 foreign or 3 non-EU players?

Dodge
28/06/2009, 11:57 AM
It's far enough so that he won't be gracing our screens while he's working there. So let me be the first to wish Roddy lots of sucess with his new job.

Spot on. Good luck to him

Read a fair bit about Maltese football before. This crowd are one of a number of teams who call themselves Irish. Hibernians probably the most well known.

They have a St Patrick's in the lower league

Rovers1
28/06/2009, 11:58 AM
We played them in the Intertoto back in 1995, i think. Delighted he's out of the league.

The job suit him.

L.T.F.C.
28/06/2009, 12:29 PM

I hate the man as he is a stones, but i do wish him success so that he stays far away.

srfc1928
28/06/2009, 3:28 PM
We played them in the Intertoto back in 1995, i think. Delighted he's out of the league.

The job suit him.
we beat them 3-2 on agg in the cup winners cup 94

mint sauce
28/06/2009, 4:13 PM
no more roddy on MNS

:(

:D

Dunny
28/06/2009, 4:15 PM
People might be happy to see him go but it will not be the same without him.

Mayo Red
28/06/2009, 4:24 PM
Thank God, at least it'll keep the chancer off our tv screens for a while anyways, until he gets sacked that is!! His article in todays Star displays his usual flair for modesty, he was the first man to introduce full time football into the League of Ireland, and the agent that rang him used to be Youri Djorkaeffs agent etc etc!! May he stay far far away!;)

weecountyman
28/06/2009, 5:06 PM
Interesting that George O'Callaghan is following him down (did he ever coach him?), rebuild two careers in one! For one I think he'll be a hit, he works hard, knows the game and deserves a break after what that chancer with umbro did. Good luck to the man!

forza rovers
28/06/2009, 7:38 PM
sean connor your next.Then the league will be free of sum of the biggest Muppet's

stamullendrog
28/06/2009, 9:03 PM
please god may it be a long and succesful reign for roddy,well long anyway very long very very long

dcfcsteve
28/06/2009, 9:27 PM
Read a fair bit about Maltese football before. This crowd are one of a number of teams who call themselves Irish. Hibernians probably the most well known.

They have a St Patrick's in the lower league

I've always wondered what the irish connection to Maltese football is all about.

Floriana's nickname is 'The Evergreen'.

Dunny
28/06/2009, 9:31 PM
sean connor your next.den the league willbe free of sum of the biggest Muppet's

Like you and your spelling?

Anyway, haven't Rovers got some sort of connection with them?

dcfcsteve
28/06/2009, 9:34 PM
Like you and your spelling?

Anyway, haven't Rovers got some sort of connection with them?

You mean they both play in green....? :o

Dunny
28/06/2009, 9:44 PM
You mean they both play in green....? :o

Read it some place today...could be wrong...:o

Lifted this off Wiki..

In June 2008 Floriana signed a partnership agreement with the most successful Irish side of all time Shamrock Rovers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_Rovers_FC) and in December 2008 signed a second partnership agreement with Russian professional side FC Volga Ulyanovsk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volga_Ulyanovsk), a powerhouse in regional football on the Volga.

dcfcsteve
28/06/2009, 11:41 PM
Lifted this off Wiki..

Anyone know what that 'partnership' involved ?

Did any players swop between the two ?

Raheny Red
29/06/2009, 12:22 AM
I remember Rovers had a Maltese international with them a couple of years ago so maybe they got him from them:confused:

weecountyman
29/06/2009, 5:58 AM
I've always wondered what the irish connection to Maltese football is all about.

Floriana's nickname is 'The Evergreen'.

The nicknames are "The Greens" and "The Irish", the first for obvious reasons, the second because the Royal Dublin Fusiliers were based in Floriana and gave them a set of kit, which was green and white, and such was the friendship that they said they'd always play in them.

AFAIK the partnerships will include pre-seasons, kids teams going either way and merchandise, and probably players too going for training or loans. Hibs aren't Irish, nor St. Patrick, both are more aligned to Scotland. Maltese International was Luke Dimech (now of Valletta) and he's the current team mate to teh ultimate Daddy's boy, Jordi Cruyff!

brianw82
29/06/2009, 6:41 AM
While googling this I found that Roddy had a Maltese player while at Carlisle. Wonder if there's any connection between that and this job?

SunderlandBohs
29/06/2009, 7:56 AM
Roddy to live and work in Malta.

Won't be going there on my holidays now:(

Scram
29/06/2009, 8:21 AM
Roddy to live and work in Malta.

Won't be going there on my holidays now:(

No, and you probably won't be going to Sunderland either since the great Irish Messiah quit ! Ipswich is it then? ;)

joeSoap
29/06/2009, 8:25 AM

hush......they still have a day to cop on....heres hoping they dont;)

Dodge
29/06/2009, 8:41 AM
Hibs aren't Irish, nor St. Patrick, both are more aligned to Scotland.

By name alone, they'd be connected to Ireland

SunderlandBohs
29/06/2009, 9:14 AM
No, and you probably won't be going to Sunderland either since the great Irish Messiah quit ! Ipswich is it then? ;)

No. I'll still be going to sunny Sunderland. Just back from a weekend over there.

Irish Messiah isn't a name I'd give Roy Keane. Most names are I'd give Keane are the same as the ones we give Roddy;)

Duggie
29/06/2009, 9:18 AM
must be making it worth his while if he uprooting to malta. i doubt the malteser league is up to much. wonder will he also be on mns malta, "when i won the double back home with da bohs we made a profit"!..haha.
il miss his spoofing i have to say.

Sam_Heggy
29/06/2009, 10:42 AM
. Hibs aren't Irish, nor St. Patrick, both are more aligned to Scotland.

It was founded by Irish priests.

The club was founded in 1875 by Irish Catholics, but this identity has been downplayed to the point where support for the club is based on location rather than ethnicity or religion. Hibernian's Irish heritage is still reflected, however, in the club's name, colours and badge.

pete
29/06/2009, 10:43 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Roddy is a loss to the LOI. I know he talks crap half the time but he is somewhat entertaining & make a difference from most other pundits. MNS will be the poorer for him anyway. He is the LOIs Dunphy & most non-LOI will know who he is.

There, i said it, let the abuse start :o

Duggie
29/06/2009, 10:45 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Roddy is a loss to the LOI. I know he talks crap half the time but he is somewhat entertaining & make a difference from most other pundits. MNS will be the poorer for him anyway. He is the LOIs Dunphy & most non-LOI will know who he is.

no i agree, i dont mind him even if he does think hes jose mourinho.

sligofan4ever
29/06/2009, 11:01 AM
must be making it worth his while if he uprooting to malta. i doubt the malteser league is up to much. wonder will he also be on mns malta, "when i won the double back home with da bohs we made a profit"!..haha.
il miss his spoofing i have to say.

He'll claim to have been linked with every player with Bohs if he was MNS Malta.

Duggie
29/06/2009, 11:28 AM
he'll have to get louis copeland to fly the suits / big long brown coats out to him...:D

Black and White
29/06/2009, 12:13 PM
He is a huge loss, he spoke his mind, Bohs do play such boring football and hes come out time and time again saying this and slating Fenlon for this. He also had great things to say about Dundalk and always argued with some of the other clowns(Rico) on MNS re the artificial surface at Oriel, he was in favour of it and said its keeping the club going which it is. He also told Mickey Daly to not join Fingal and to come to us! And hes been one of our best players to date.

pineapple stu
29/06/2009, 12:26 PM
he spoke his mind
A large part of the problem, I often found.

marinobohs
29/06/2009, 12:32 PM
He is a huge loss, he spoke his mind, Bohs do play such boring football and hes come out time and time again saying this and slating Fenlon for this.

How many goals did Bohs put past Dundalk at Dalymount recently ? How many goals have Dundalk put past Bohs in either League game ?

bet you wish dundalk were as "boring" as Bohs. highlight of your season was Rogers flashing his ass :D

pól-dcfc
29/06/2009, 1:48 PM
It was founded by Irish priests.

Wrong Hibs. They are talking about Hibernians the Maltese team.

Hairy Bowsie
29/06/2009, 4:35 PM

I would abuse you but i'd get banned. Anyway what you said was nonsense. He's not needed and he won't be missed.

Black and White
29/06/2009, 5:11 PM
How many goals did Bohs put past Dundalk at Dalymount recently ? How many goals have Dundalk put past Bohs in either League game ?

bet you wish dundalk were as "boring" as Bohs. highlight of your season was Rogers flashing his ass :D

Your point being...? 2 games dont make a season and we finished the game with 9 men and came with a depleted squad, if ye didnt score then it would make ye an absolute joke! Oh wait...ye already are!

Ezeikial
29/06/2009, 6:16 PM

I can't speak for B&W, but I for one would be happy if Dundalk were in the same league position as Bohs, even with boring football.

But this is irrelevant as to whether Bohs have played a lot of boring football this season. The point Roddy Collins has repeatedly made is that given the fact that Bohs have the best squad and the most balanced team, the style of football is poor.

DeNiro
29/06/2009, 6:38 PM
I wonder how many times he will mention in the press conference that he won the double with Bohs in 2000/01?

Infadel
29/06/2009, 7:17 PM
I wonder how many times he will mention in the press conference that he won the double with Bohs in 2000/01?
I wonder how many times he'll mention Kaiserslautern

razor
30/06/2009, 8:24 AM
A large part of the problem, I often found.Well you're damned if you do and damned if you don't
I found his dress sense to be far more disturbing than anything that ever came out of his mouth.

Has there been confirmation anywhere of this appointment?

pineapple stu
30/06/2009, 8:51 AM
"He's a great player; I spotted him two years ago and recommended him to Gretna"

Shut up Roddy.

marinobohs
30/06/2009, 10:50 AM
Your point being...? 2 games dont make a season and we finished the game with 9 men and came with a depleted squad, if ye didnt score then it would make ye an absolute joke! Oh wait...ye already are!

Double winners and current table toppers a "an absolute joke" ? Georgie Boy, Dave Rogers, Seanie Connor - really should think (if thats possible) before throwing round the "absolute joke" lines.
Still if/when you get relegated you can always threaten to burn down the FAI offices like a real club :)

pól-dcfc
30/06/2009, 10:59 AM
Still if/when you get relegated you can always threaten to burn down the FAI offices like a real club :)

So could Bohs.

Floriana FC
30/06/2009, 11:45 AM
Hi all this is James from Floriana - Malta...

First of all i read this topic and i decided to give you some detailed info about FLORIANA FC - Malta's most successful football club ever!

Floriana FC were founded in 1894 and is the oldest club in Malta. The team plays in green and white and we are nicknamed "The Greens" or "The Irish" due to a friendly match organized in the club's foundation years against the Dublin Fusiliers. Floriana supporters tend to have a number of irish flags in league matches. Floriana's badge is green and white striped (horizontally) with the lion in the middle as the club's emblem. The club won 25 league titles over its history and the FA Trophy 18 times and Floriana holds different records like 4 consecutive league titles etc... Floriana's main rivals are Valletta and Sliema Wanderers altough the real rivalry is the one between Floriana and Valletta. In recent years Floriana struggled financially and the club is enduring one of its darkest times and titles are not so frequent like in the past. Floriana's last league title was won in 1992-93 season.

As you all know Floriana appointed Mr.Roddy Collins as their new manager as local reports are saying he was sponsored by some irish investors. As i read about Mr.Collins my first impression was that he is a controversial figure but determined and a huge motivator and that what Floriana really needs at the moment! A real character to get the club where it really belongs and Floriana hope this will be the right choice! If there are some of you interested in any particular details about Floriana or maltese football i shall reply any question you post in.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post