PDA

View Full Version : Roddy gets a job

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

dcfcsteve
26/08/2009, 9:09 PM
i can assure you that there are local and foreign players that could easily make it in the irish premier league.

It's fair to say that yeovil town are competing in a league better than the maltese premier league

That's some contradiction there Floriana. I'm not sure you understand the standard of football in the League Of Ireland.

On one breath you say that all manner of players for Maltese teams could "make it" in Ireland (on what basis are you able to 'assure me' of this factlet ?), then on the other hand you say that the Maltese league is worse than English Division One.

The truth is that the top teams in the LOI would be of a standard higher than League 1. Yes - our weaker premier teams may be around or about the level of Yeovil, but to suggest that Maltese-based players could just stroll into teams over here is fanciful.

SkStu
26/08/2009, 9:58 PM
bit unfair there Steve - i think he was saying that if they moved to a professional league, they could be good players because

The fact is that semi-professionalism could not help these players develop there talents.

osarusan
26/08/2009, 11:07 PM
On one breath you say that all manner of players for Maltese teams could "make it" in Ireland...
He didn't really say that.

He said this -

i can assure you that there are local and foreign players that could easily make it in the irish premier league.

There is no mention in his post of "all manner of players" being able to make it in Ireland.

Boo_Boy
26/08/2009, 11:08 PM
Any chance we could change the name of this topic to Roddy Watch?

:p

ped_ped
26/08/2009, 11:19 PM

Seconded.

davidatrb
27/08/2009, 9:03 AM
That's some contradiction there Floriana. I'm not sure you understand the standard of football in the League Of Ireland.

On one breath you say that all manner of players for Maltese teams could "make it" in Ireland (on what basis are you able to 'assure me' of this factlet ?), then on the other hand you say that the Maltese league is worse than English Division One.

The truth is that the top teams in the LOI would be of a standard higher than League 1. Yes - our weaker premier teams may be around or about the level of Yeovil, but to suggest that Maltese-based players could just stroll into teams over here is fanciful.

You could say the same thing about the League of Ireland. I can assure you that there are local players in the LOI that could make it in the English Championship or Premiership. That's not saying LOI is a higher standard because clearly it is not.

I don't see a contradiction in what he said.

You think that Jordi Cruyff couldn't make it at Bray?

Mad Moose
27/08/2009, 12:07 PM

Ya get a feeling this thread will be around for quite a bit. Well for as long as Roddy is in a job really. Which may indeed contradict my first statement but how and ever.

I was interested to hear about Floriana. James you might be able to tell us a little about the club size, fan base, budgets etc. I'm sure somebody will provide a link anyhow.

Did Roddy make any specific demands then. Like perhaps a million pound maybe to turn things around as he has done in the past?

dcfcsteve
27/08/2009, 4:04 PM
He didn't really say that.

He said this -

There is no mention in his post of "all manner of players" being able to make it in Ireland.

He said "foreign and local" players.

Now to me that pretty much covers every possible player on the planet and beyond (unless you want to be nit-picky over his definition of 'local'). Which is pretty much "all manner". So he did really say that.

What type of players do you think local and foreign doesn't include....? :confused:

dcfcsteve
27/08/2009, 4:12 PM
You could say the same thing about the League of Ireland. I can assure you that there are local players in the LOI that could make it in the English Championship or Premiership. That's not saying LOI is a higher standard because clearly it is not.

I don't see a contradiction in what he said.

You think that Jordi Cruyff couldn't make it at Bray?

As if Jordi Cruyff is in any way indicative of Maltese football....:eek:

Which current LOI players would you say could "easily make it" in the English premiership then* ....? :confused:

Bearing in mind that it took Birmingham City a lifetime to get round to just adding Jay O'Shea to their panel, and there's no guarantee that he'll get much first team football let alone easily make it.

Please don't drag up Keith Fahy or Kevin Doyle, as they're not current.

*(that sounds like the title of a thread by Longford James or IorFAJamJams.... :D)

A N Mouse
27/08/2009, 4:17 PM

Now to me that pretty much covers every possible player on the planet and beyond (unless you want to be nit-picky over his definition of 'local'). Which is pretty much "all manner". So he did really say that.

What type of players do you think local and foreign doesn't include....? :confused:

Orly?

So if I was to say there's foreign and local players playing in the D&D of a Saturday who could make it in senior football.

You would, honestly, take it that my meaning was that anyone playing in the D&D could walk into the DCFC first team?

:o

osarusan
27/08/2009, 6:48 PM

He didn't though. He said this -

but i can assure you that there are local and foreign players that could easily make it in the irish premier league.
It doesn't cover "every possible player", it just means that in his opinion there are some (we have no way of knowing how many or few) players, both foreign and local, who would be able to play in the LOI Premier.

You've taken it to mean that he feels that just about any player in Malta could easily get his game here, but I don't think that is what was meant at all.

cheech
27/08/2009, 7:09 PM
Ya get a feeling this thread will be around for quite a bit. Well for as long as Roddy is in a job really. Which may indeed contradict my first statement but how and ever.

I was interested to hear about Floriana. James you might be able to tell us a little about the club size, fan base, budgets etc. I'm sure somebody will provide a link anyhow.

Did Roddy make any specific demands then. Like perhaps a million pound maybe to turn things around as he has done in the past?

Good shout Harpsbear. I'd like to hear more about Roddy's new club as well re: squad, attendances, stadium etc.

Interesting thread until the resident KIA started his usual pontificating.

brianw82
27/08/2009, 7:34 PM
May as well ask this question to our Maltese friend here.

Is there a lot of transfer activity every year in the Maltese league? Given the size of the island, I imagine most players don't mind changing clubs frequently?
Also, are there a lot of 2nd rate Italian players there?

davidatrb
28/08/2009, 10:06 AM
As if Jordi Cruyff is in any way indicative of Maltese football....:eek:

Which current LOI players would you say could "easily make it" in the English premiership then* ....? :confused:

Bearing in mind that it took Birmingham City a lifetime to get round to just adding Jay O'Shea to their panel, and there's no guarantee that he'll get much first team football let alone easily make it.

Please don't drag up Keith Fahy or Kevin Doyle, as they're not current.

*(that sounds like the title of a thread by Longford James or IorFAJamJams.... :D)

I'll keep it simple.

Are there local or foreign players that in Malta that could make it in LOI? Yes, Jordi Cruff for one (your point that he is not indicative is irrelavant, fact is he DOES play in Malta).

His second point was that League 1 was a higher level than Malta. Again quite obviously true.

So what is the contradiction?

You put that bit in bold in yourself with reference to the Premiership. So to answer your question about who I think in LOI can make it in the Prem, well Jay O'Shea and all the players here that are better than him.

dcfcsteve
28/08/2009, 11:53 AM
He didn't though. He said this -

It doesn't cover "every possible player", it just means that in his opinion there are some (we have no way of knowing how many or few) players, both foreign and local, who would be able to play in the LOI Premier.

You've taken it to mean that he feels that just about any player in Malta could easily get his game here, but I don't think that is what was meant at all.

Osarun - your grasp of English is letting you down here.

"All manner" means 'all sorts' /'all types'. It doesn't mean 'everyone'....

Hence - foreign and local pretty much covers 'all sorts/types' of player in Malta,

:ball:

Mad Moose
28/08/2009, 11:59 AM
Steve no disrespect but must you always always reduce every thread to a pedantic level. I read what Floriana originally said and I know what he was getting at. I think most on here do and accepted it. It doesn't need analysis and constant breaking down and re-arguing. The lad made a point, he;s cleared it up, he doesn't really know the league of Ireland but lets just leave it there.

Thanks Floriana FC by the way for your contributions. Its been interesting reading and anything to do with Roddy, how ever much he grates me, is interesting.

A N Mouse
28/08/2009, 12:05 PM
And the "Keep Digging" Award for not know when to STFU goes to...

Hence - foreign and local pretty much covers 'all sorts/types' of player in Malta,

osarusan
28/08/2009, 12:12 PM
Once again, here is his original quote.

but i can assure you that there are local and foreign players that could easily make it in the irish premier league.

Now to me that pretty much covers every possible player on the planet and beyond . Which is pretty much "all manner". So he did really say that.

If you honestly think his original sentence means that in his opinion, "every possible player" in the Maltese league could get his game in the LOI Premier, then you don't know what you are talking about.

micls
28/08/2009, 12:13 PM

Steve, I think you clutching here.

All manner, would mean all sorts, good, bad, tall, small, fat, thin. Not simply local or foreign.

To claim he said that, or implied that 'all manner' of players could play here is simply wrong.

The words local and foreign do not by any stretch of the imagination mean the same thing as all manner of player

Dunny
30/08/2009, 12:22 AM
Valletta beat Floriana 6-0!

Heres some highlights.. http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20090829/sport/impressive-city-hit-shambolic-greens-for-six

weecountyman
30/08/2009, 8:48 AM
Valletta beat Floriana 6-0!

Heres some highlights.. http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20090829/sport/impressive-city-hit-shambolic-greens-for-six

Rather unfair there Dunny, saw the game, Floriana ran riot for 20minutes (with 2 starting midfielders out injured and youth teamers on the bench). Then their main midfielder (who missed a sitter from 5yards) did his cruciate, and the ref refused to allow a substitute for 5minutes! In which time Valletta scored. What followed was sickening in the extreme and really made no sense. A penalty that never was, 2 offside goals where the ref overruled the linesmen, and the key central defender carted off with a knee injury too. Fair play to the Coach and players for kicking on, they really gave it everything but with kids having to match up with 9 full internationals and a host of foreign talent, it wasn't easy. Plus Valletta have 5 times the Floriana budget.

One thing stood out is that the new signing is class, Sunday Wasiu. He's more than good enough to play Championship in England and I just wish the Lilywhites could stump up the cash to grab him. Class and a half. For Rovers fans Luke Dimech was at his racist best, and is slower than when he was in Dublin, if that can be believed (and has a major Mohican).

Hibs4Ever
19/10/2009, 8:09 AM
I reckon Roddy will be returning home to work on MNS soon. They lost yesterday, to Dingi Swallows. It was Swallows first ever win in the Malta Premier League. Floriana have 1 win in 5 games, scored 4 and conceded 9 goals

brianw82
19/10/2009, 8:51 AM
He needs longer than 5 games, to be fair.

Leeside Swagger
19/10/2009, 9:19 AM
I reckon Roddy will be returning home to work on MNS soon. They lost yesterday, to Dingi Swallows. It was Swallows first ever win in the Malta Premier League. Floriana have 1 win in 5 games, scored 4 and conceded 9 goals

:eek: Dear god no!

passinginterest
19/10/2009, 9:23 AM

Losing to the local brothel's women’s team is definitely not a good sign.

weecountyman
20/10/2009, 6:05 AM

Hibs, have a look at the match report and also the pre-match. He was without 4 starting 11, a bunch of walking wounded and after battering them for 90minutes conceded 2 jammy goals after horrible defensive blunders. The second was by the National team captain who is safe as a house normally but slipped and gave the ball away. You should be happy, if he comes home he'd get the Pats job! Either him or the Valletta coach who actually applied to be boss!

Interesting note in the Times of Malta (sad I know) regarding season budgets. Floriana are bottom of the league with just 160k, Dingli are 7th with 240k, Valletta are top with 1.7million! Maybe someone from the LOI is giving lessons to the Valletta president on how to bankrupt his club!

Hibs4Ever
20/10/2009, 11:03 AM
Hibs, have a look at the match report and also the pre-match. He was without 4 starting 11, a bunch of walking wounded and after battering them for 90minutes conceded 2 jammy goals after horrible defensive blunders. The second was by the National team captain who is safe as a house normally but slipped and gave the ball away. You should be happy, if he comes home he'd get the Pats job! Either him or the Valletta coach who actually applied to be boss!

Interesting note in the Times of Malta (sad I know) regarding season budgets. Floriana are bottom of the league with just 160k, Dingli are 7th with 240k, Valletta are top with 1.7million! Maybe someone from the LOI is giving lessons to the Valletta president on how to bankrupt his club!

Cheers for that info Roddy. Didn't read the match reports, get my info from some Valletta fans I met while over there with Pat's, and from what I'm hearing, it's gonna be a long hard season for Floriana. best of luck with it

weecountyman
20/10/2009, 2:19 PM
Cheers for that info Roddy. Didn't read the match reports, get my info from some Valletta fans I met while over there with Pat's, and from what I'm hearing, it's gonna be a long hard season for Floriana. best of luck with it

:) So I guess then for information on the LOI we should all rely on Bohs fans, especially for Pats, haha, brilliant! Better than the Indo I guess. Amazing that the Floriana fans turned out to support Pats (fellow Irish) yet the visitors sought solace with the local Reds, but I guess there's Irish and Irish. Still, that's LOI for some. You should read the local papers, especially related to Pats possible new boss, very interesting!

dcfcsteve
20/10/2009, 2:41 PM
He needs longer than 5 games, to be fair.

To be sacked ? Sadly, he probably does...

Hibs4Ever
20/10/2009, 4:29 PM
You should read the local papers, especially related to Pats possible new boss, very interesting!

I've heard it already, you've already mentioned it on here, you're really trying to push that rumour aren't you ;) Might be your best chance of not getting thumped 6-0 for the return fixture against them :D

Amazing that the Floriana fans turned out to support Pats!

Course their was ;) And yes, the St Pat's fans got on great with the Valletta fans, they're a great group of supporters

weecountyman
20/10/2009, 4:32 PM
I've heard it already, you've already mentioned it on here, you're really trying to push that rumour aren't you ;)

Course their was ;)

1. It's not a rumour, it's a fact.
2. There, and there was, again a simple fact you can check out with your CEO! Easy peasy!

Main thing is, give the man a chance, if he fails, he fails, if he doesn't then let the knocking start.

Sheridan
20/10/2009, 4:42 PM
It's the knowing he's going to fail spectacularly and watching it happen that's the fun part, though.

weecountyman
20/10/2009, 5:12 PM
It's the knowing he's going to fail spectacularly and watching it happen that's the fun part, though.

Then start lobbying for RTE to do another docu-series :D At least it's sunnier in Malta so the crew would get better lighting!

bennocelt
20/10/2009, 5:49 PM
Watch Roddys team be stuck to the bottom of the table for most of the season and he will jump just before they are relegated. This would be a definite first for him...........:p

fbtn
20/10/2009, 5:55 PM
I'm not his greatest fan, especially what he said about Stephen Parkhouse on live tv but I enjoy watching out for his games and am genuinely interested in how he will get on.

I'm certainly not waiting with bated breath ala Sheridan for him to fail.

I think that it is a positive thing that the likes of Roddy has got work in another league like that.

Sheridan
20/10/2009, 6:04 PM
I actually don't give a toss about Roddy one way or t'other, I just like following his antics in a rubbernecking kind of way. He's a lot funnier when he's in meltdown mode.

CSFShels
20/10/2009, 9:32 PM
I'm not his greatest fan, especially what he said about Stephen Parkhouse on live tv but I enjoy watching out for his games and am genuinely interested in how he will get on.

I'm certainly not waiting with bated breath ala Sheridan for him to fail.

I think that it is a positive thing that the likes of Roddy has got work in another league like that.
After the abuse Parkhouse gave Keely one night in Tolka he couldn't be a more deserving character. However I do not actually know what he said about Parkhouse.

the-blue-harp
21/10/2009, 2:30 PM
After the abuse Parkhouse gave Keely one night in Tolka he couldn't be a more deserving character. However I do not actually know what he said about Parkhouse.

sure dermot keely is an angel!!:rolleyes:

CSFShels
21/10/2009, 6:16 PM
sure dermot keely is an angel!!:rolleyes:
He certainly doesn't spend a whole game screaming abuse at someone calling them a paedo to get a rise out of them thats for sure.

LeixlipRed
21/10/2009, 10:29 PM
That was fairly despicable that night alright. I think Roddy is a fool of the highest order but I did have a chuckle at Parkhouse's expense I have to say when he commented on him :)

weecountyman
25/10/2009, 4:38 AM
Big weekend in Malta, Valletta lost to Hibs (this after the Valletta coach told the MFA how to organise football in Malta before stating that his team were unbeatable). And Floriana shocked Birkirkara 1-0 after outplaying them for 80minutes despite having 4 first teamers out. Very strange all around.

A face
25/10/2009, 9:50 AM
That was fairly despicable that night alright. I think Roddy is a fool of the highest order but I did have a chuckle at Parkhouse's expense I have to say when he commented on him :)

When was that? Is there a youtube clip of it or anything?

CSFShels
25/10/2009, 9:52 AM
When was that? Is there a youtube clip of it or anything?
Nope, it was covered in some reviews of the game I think, I'll have a look for some of those, it was the season before last, at the second home game in Tolka. Keely went crazy and started going for him at the whistle, probably something which was probably intensified by Harps getting a late winner.

weecountyman
03/11/2009, 7:09 PM
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20091102/sport/wasiu-leads-greens-into-next-round

Getting fun down in Malta. 4-0 win at the weekend in the cup, good to see Irish made gear (Azzurri) looking well. Good gear.

Pauro 76
03/11/2009, 7:48 PM
Not a fan of Roddy of course, but I'm glad he's going well there. Did Azzurri do their kits before Roddy took over?

PartySaint
03/11/2009, 7:52 PM
Am i the only person who likes Roddy?

CSFShels
03/11/2009, 7:53 PM
Yes..

thischarmingman
03/11/2009, 7:54 PM
Am i the only person who likes Roddy?

Welcome to Foot.ie, Mrs Collins.

kdjaC
03/11/2009, 7:55 PM
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20091102/sport/wasiu-leads-greens-into-next-round

Getting fun down in Malta. 4-0 win at the weekend in the cup, good to see Irish made gear (Azzurri) looking well. Good gear.

Would have thought they would be wearing Umbro like cos of the Messiahs links to umbro :p

im with sheridan on the spectacular fail train too.

weecountyman
04/11/2009, 8:14 AM
Welcome to Foot.ie, Mrs Collins.

:) Jeez charmingman, Mrs. Collins I think is a Derry fan, but will drop them like a hot scone is they go back to the IL! :ball:

How come when anyone writes something positive they're someone in disguise? I'm doing well as I'm either Roddy or Georgie, class :p

Don't know about the Azzurri deal, Pauro, I know they're supplying Waterford United, but it looks the business.

KdjaC, after what the umbro head did, I don't think they'd be welcome