PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jacko

zenokelly
25/06/2009, 9:51 PM
No matter what people thought of him, it's a hugely sad day for the world of music to lose such a figure at quite a young age.

RIP

Edit: It's a suspected heart attack
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Michael-Jackson-Dies-Of-Heart-Attack-After-Being-Rushed-To-Hospital-According-To-TMZ/Article/200906415319936?lpos=Showbiz_News_Carousel_Region_ 0&lid=ARTICLE_15319936_Michael_Jackson_Dies_Of_Heart _Attack_After_Being_Rushed_To_Hospital%2C_Accordin g_To_TMZ

Pauro 76
25/06/2009, 9:52 PM
Hang on, is he dead?

Dunny
25/06/2009, 9:54 PM
Hang on, is he dead?

According to Sky news he is...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Michael-Jackson-Dies-Of-Heart-Attack-After-Being-Rushed-To-Hospital-According-To-TMZ/Article/200906415319936?lpos=Showbiz_News_Carousel_Region_ 0&lid=ARTICLE_15319936_Michael_Jackson_Dies_Of_Heart _Attack_After_Being_Rushed_To_Hospital%2C_Accordin g_To_TMZ

sligoman
25/06/2009, 9:55 PM
Can't believe it. R.I.P.

zenokelly
25/06/2009, 9:55 PM
Hang on, is he dead?

Yep, I should have given more detail but thought that the title would have said all that was needed.

Lev Yashin
25/06/2009, 9:58 PM
Looks like it...few celebrity blogger sites saying it and sky news following...shame really...ok he has had his problems but musically he had given us some classics...Billie Jean..Thriller...where do you even stop..off the wall was fantastic...thiriller he album(genius)...Bad(was in fact great;))

Sheridan
25/06/2009, 10:20 PM
I got a shock when I saw this, I thought it was about Aidan Smyth. :eek:

Very sad news if true, although some reports now saying he's in a coma.

paudie
25/06/2009, 10:39 PM
Leaves 3 young kids. Very sad

RIP

Pauro 76
26/06/2009, 5:16 AM

RIP

His kids or someone elses? ;) OK not good timing...

Macy
26/06/2009, 6:59 AM
RIP - the music industry certainly fecked him up, so hopefully he'll get peace.

However, his music meant sod all to me, for all the King of Pop nonsense this morning (surely they're missing the "self styled" from the start of that phrase?)

Dodge
26/06/2009, 8:34 AM

RIP

Those kids are finally free...

Lionel Ritchie
26/06/2009, 8:56 AM
As Paudie said it's very sad that three kids are left without a father.

Also echoing what Macy said -his music meant pretty much nothing to me. There's an argument to be made that it's a case study of where rock'n'roll went wrong (I believe the current expression is 'jumped the shark'). But that debate is for another day.

For all his success and the mark he undoubtedly made on music and the cultural landscape I find it hard to envy him. For example- I just wouldn't want to find myself paying people to have shopping malls opened after hours (in the middle of the night on occasion seemingly) just so I could wander round and feel 'normal' without being hassled.

I have a son who's approaching the age MJ was when he first became famous and that alone gives me an inkling of what the guy must have missed out on -those precious, irreplacable, formative years. A brief uncredited appearance on youtube aside, I'll not be pushing my wee fellah towards any limelight.

Condolences to all affected.

Magicme
26/06/2009, 10:05 AM
Sums it up Lionel. When I heard last night I didnt know how to react or take it. Part of me was sad that someone, whom I was not a fan of, but who has brought so much pleasure & joy to millions all over the world, was dying in an untimely manner. Another part of me was sad for his family, no matter what you think of the guy he is still someone's son, brother & father but if the "rumours" were true, then I am glad a menace to children is gone.

Its a mixed bag really.

passinginterest
26/06/2009, 10:56 AM
Having posted some bad taste jokes I feel I should come in hear and offer proper thoughts of some kind.

It's always sad when children lose a parent and Michael Jackson was certainly an icon and a hero to millions of people. I'm not a big music fan but I do remember hearing albums like Bad and Thriller for the first time and thinking they were amazing. My sympathy goes to his family and friends and particularly the children.

rambler14
26/06/2009, 11:05 AM
How long before the jokes are deemed acceptable again?

The man was a genius and even though he hadn't released anything in years he was still the biggest music superstar in the world at the moment and was the biggest music superstar ever too.
50 years old and has been famous for 45 of those years.....amazing really.

R.I.P

KK77
26/06/2009, 11:44 AM
Sums it up Lionel. When I heard last night I didnt know how to react or take it. Part of me was sad that someone, whom I was not a fan of, but who has brought so much pleasure & joy to millions all over the world, was dying in an untimely manner. Another part of me was sad for his family, no matter what you think of the guy he is still someone's son, brother & father but if the "rumours" were true, then I am glad a menace to children is gone.

Its a mixed bag really.

Was he not proven innocent in a court of law?:confused:

superfrank
26/06/2009, 11:45 AM
Those kids are finally free...
Yeah, they don't have to be afraid of being dangled from the balcony anymore.

Bluebeard
26/06/2009, 11:59 AM
As someone who has enjoyed (and will continue to enjoy) jokes at his expense, I do not want to turn hypocrit now and say he was my hero or that the jokes are wrong or whatever. However, two things I must acknowledge:

1. He was a father to three kids. It is a horrible situation for them, though the pressures of the media and the allegations about their father probably had an impact. The eldest of them is 12 or 13 I think - old enough to see gobsheens talking about him on CNN. Dunno if they were with him when he lapsed into the coma, but it is tough on them. He also has a number of brothers and sisters and other family. At this point you have to fell for them too. True of any death, be it Mother Theresa or Robert Mugabe - the family know the person for who they are, and that is normally a different person to what the public might see.

2. Regardless of what he did or did not actually do, as has been pointed out, he is and will always be a hero to millions; millions around the world will feel that there is less magic in the world today as a result. 750,000 tickets were sold to the 50 night run that will now be cancelled in the o2 in London, eight years after his last new album, and with all the negative press about him. This suggests that his music still means a lot to a huge amount of people. Thriller is still more than double the next biggest selling album according to wiki (sorry, was feeling lazy today) and I'd expect that it sells another 5-10 million copies in the next two months. If you look at the nine singles that were released in Britain and Ireland from Bad , you are looking at nine top grade singles that whether you like them are not, are iconic. On reading the track listing for Thriller and Bad, I found myself humming them already, and I certainly would not describe myself as a fan. For those fans who will miss him, I have sympathy - perhaps it is patronising or condescending, but nevertheless sincere.

Excuse me now - I'm off to buy the last remaining pre-"Memorial Edition" copy of Thriller on CD, and get a good dose of tasteless jokes.

Longfordian
26/06/2009, 12:04 PM

One case was settled for a large amount out of court and he was found not guilty in a criminal case. Doesn't necessarily mean he's innocent, just that there wasn't enough evidence to convict him in the eyes of that particular jury. Anyway RIP and hopefully his family will be alright.

Magicme
26/06/2009, 1:01 PM
Rafa thats why I said "rumours". He avoid conviction but the rumours still abound.

eamo1
26/06/2009, 1:08 PM
RIP,a talented weirdo is what id describe him as.Loved his stuff from the early 90s,Earth Song is one i like alot.
Some text jokes doing the rounds which ive recieved so far today include

"Michael Jackson passed away this morning from a massive heart attack.Authorities have said they plan to melt his body down and make plastic toys out of him so kids can play with him for a change".

"Reports of Michael Jackson having a heart attack in hospital are incorrect.He was in the childrens ward having a stroke"

"I take it you heard about Michael Jackson??The cops said he was hit by,he was struck by,cornonary heart failure.A number of smooth criminals have been brought in for questioning.They are not too Thrilled to be named as suspects and are hoping that the police Blame It On Boogie".

R.I.P.

anto1208
26/06/2009, 1:09 PM

So was OJ !!

Ozymandias
26/06/2009, 1:15 PM
back in black will now be replaced by thriller as the number one selling album of all time.

Saw the guy in 88 in Cork...not a fan but put on a good show......

he really contributed more to music video than music in my eyes

RIP

Scram
26/06/2009, 3:23 PM
RIP,a talented weirdo is what id describe him as.Loved his stuff from the early 90s,Earth Song is one i like alot.
Some text jokes doing the rounds which ive recieved so far today include

"Michael Jackson passed away this morning from a massive heart attack.Authorities have said they plan to melt his body down and make plastic toys out of him so kids can play with him for a change".

"Reports of Michael Jackson having a heart attack in hospital are incorrect.He was in the childrens ward having a stroke"

"I take it you heard about Michael Jackson??The cops said he was hit by,he was struck by,cornonary heart failure.A number of smooth criminals have been brought in for questioning.They are not too Thrilled to be named as suspects and are hoping that the police Blame It On Boogie".

R.I.P.

RIP in all fairness, whether he may have had mental sickness or not.

Anyway, I'm sure his family are not tuning in here, so:

Michael Jackson died of shock after finding out Boyz II Men was a band not a delivery service.

Jockeys at tomorrow's race meetings will wear black armbands out of respect for Michael Jackson, who successfully rode more three yr olds than
anyone in living memory.

What’s the difference between Michael Jackson and Alex Ferguson?

Fergie WILL be playing Giggs in August.

When Farrah Fawcett arrived in Heaven, God was such a big fan he decided to grant her one wish. She asked that all the children in the world
could be safe. So God killed Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson actually died of food poisoning. He ate some 12 year old nuts....Er or was it a five-year old wiener?

50 kids have volunteered to identify the body as they have first-hand experience of seeing Michael Jackson stiff.

Michael Jackson's legal team announced that he had agreed to be melted down by undertakers to make plastic toys. So, kids can play with
him for a change.

It has been reported on the "Angels News" Michael Jackson was refused entry to heaven due to the fact they dont accept plastic.

Michael Jackson's upcoming London dates have been cancelled. They were James (aged 9) and Thomas (aged 11).

Dodge
26/06/2009, 3:37 PM
My own particular favourite...

jackson's girlfriend is reported to be devastated. First her parents walked out on her in Portugal, and now this...

Scram
26/06/2009, 3:54 PM
My own particular favourite...

jackson's girlfriend is reported to be devastated. First her parents walked out on her in Portugal, and now this...

OMG!!! :):eek:

Quote of the day;

"He was not only a talented person, but he was unique - a genius. It's such a loss. It feels like when Kennedy died" - Celine Dion

JFK was assassinated in 1963......Celine Dion was born in 1968 !

eamo1
26/06/2009, 7:35 PM
Dodge you have very successfully raised the bar,or should that be lowered the bar,with that "joke":).

Watching MTV news there and all the music channels playing his videos.His doctor has done a runner apparently,they seized the docs car too.Seems dodgy enough.

Jofspring
26/06/2009, 8:57 PM
A Legend.

Although his career started long before i was born i grew up on Michael Jackson songs and watching Michael Jackson videos over and over until they where worn out (damn VHS), he will forever be the greatest singer and entertainer of all time.

R.I.P.

Lionel Ritchie
26/06/2009, 9:14 PM
A Legend.

Although his career started long before i was born i grew up on Michael Jackson songs and watching Michael Jackson videos over and over until they where worn out (damn VHS), he will forever be the greatest singer and entertainer of all time.

R.I.P.

That's that settled then.

stann
26/06/2009, 10:35 PM
Not going to say much on the family tragedy - very sad for his kids, family and friends, of course, but no more so than the hundreds of thousands of people around the world who've gone before their time this week.

From a musical point of view though, a tremendous loss. Facetious comments aside, the chap was a talent of the absolutely highest order. In the sense of waste from the untimely death of an artist who maybe had lost their way musically, but still promised one last burst of greatness at some point down the line, his death has echoes of Jimi Hendrix.
Before people leap to argue that Jacko was nowhere near the same calibre, go and listen to Don't Stop Til You Get Enough again, as perfect a pop song as you'll ever hear.

First water fruit and nut case alright. And maybe worse, we'll probably never know for sure now.

Billsthoughts
26/06/2009, 11:12 PM
I think I will never forget the day I heard a true legend of music had died. a man with personality faults yes but who brought joy to millions. enough about joe strummer tho...... In the wake of the ryan report i shed no tears for wacko...

Pauro 76
27/06/2009, 10:18 AM
In hindsight and with the dust settling, and i was never a fan, he had an awesome amount of talent and a career that any of today's 'stars' would kill to have. Created some fantastic songs and made music videos worth watching. If he hadn't gone loopy, we'd be hailing him as better than Beatles, Elvis, Sinatra etc. No respect for his alleged antics, but for his career and musical legacy, RIP.

anto1208
27/06/2009, 12:00 PM
wonder will a thread pop up offering sympathey for Gary glitter when he goes or are his songs not good enough to ignore the child abuse !!

Im getting a little bit sick of the same media that made his life hell for the last 20 years now saying things like " lets not focus on the negatives of his life"

He was a pop star that used his money and influence to abuse children and buy his way out of trouble. Im not a person that takes any sort of joy out of someone's death but this outpouring of good will towards him is a bit sickening.

Lionel Ritchie
27/06/2009, 2:47 PM
wonder will a thread pop up offering sympathey for Gary glitter when he goes or are his songs not good enough to ignore the child abuse !!

Im getting a little bit sick of the same media that made his life hell for the last 20 years now saying things like " lets not focus on the negatives of his life"

He was a pop star that used his money and influence to abuse children and buy his way out of trouble. Im not a person that takes any sort of joy out of someone's death but this outpouring of good will towards him is a bit sickening.

That's fair comment Anto but there are, at the very least, important technical differences. Jackson has no conviction. He's been through the system, faced a judge and jury and walked out of court a free man with his good name and right to same legally intact.

He did indeed pay off at least one accuser, I don't remember all the details but I believe others here may confirm that his legal councel pretty much begged him not to as it'd be tantamount to an admission that he'd a case to answer ...as well as potentially leading to other similar claims from opportunists.

In short, it has not been established beyond reasonable doubt that he interfered with children -regardless of what inferences can be drawn from evidence presented.

Paul Gadd is an unreconstructed predator who doesn't see what the big deal is with his activities. Incidently, I personally do have a bit of a problem with the way the Glitter Band got written out of pop history. No great good is served by it. My Gang, Rock N Roll and I Love You Love didn't stop being excellent glamrock just because the man who sang them is a deviant.

If art wasn't seperated from artist -the contents of our libraries, record shops and educational curriculums would be a lot thinner.

anto1208
27/06/2009, 5:00 PM
That's fair comment Anto but there are, at the very least, important technical differences. Jackson has no conviction. He's been through the system, faced a judge and jury and walked out of court a free man with his good name and right to same legally intact.

He did indeed pay off at least one accuser, I don't remember all the details but I believe others here may confirm that his legal councel pretty much begged him not to as it'd be tantamount to an admission that he'd a case to answer ...as well as potentially leading to other similar claims from opportunists.

In short, it has not been established beyond reasonable doubt that he interfered with children -regardless of what inferences can be drawn from evidence presented.

Paul Gadd is an unreconstructed predator who doesn't see what the big deal is with his activities. Incidently, I personally do have a bit of a problem with the way the Glitter Band got written out of pop history. No great good is served by it. My Gang, Rock N Roll and I Love You Love didn't stop being excellent glamrock just because the man who sang them is a deviant.

If art wasn't seperated from artist -the contents of our libraries, record shops and educational curriculums would be a lot thinner.

True enough and i dont disagree with his musical influence i think im just getting a bit of a bad taste left when the media gloss over such serious issues as "negative aspects of his life" as they put it.

And i think if he was michael the bus driver cuddling up to other peoples children in bed ( his own admission ) it could all have ended very differently.

osarusan
27/06/2009, 8:02 PM
Paul Gadd is an unreconstructed predator who doesn't see what the big deal is with his activities.

Didn't Jackson portray himself in a somewhat similar light during the interview with Martin Bashir?

Anyway I was no fan, and to be honest, don't mourn his passing. Everybody mentions how sad it is for his kids, but I don't think (based on what I've seen) that he was such a great father, and I'd imagine if a non-celebrity were parenting in the same way, they would struggle to keep custody of their children.

thischarmingman
28/06/2009, 1:25 PM
True enough and i dont disagree with his musical influence i think im just getting a bit of a bad taste left when the media gloss over such serious issues as "negative aspects of his life" as they put it.

In fairness, just about every obituary I've read over the past day or two has mentioned his alleged misdemeanors and odd behavior in the first couple of sentences:

For example:
The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jun/26/michael-jackson-obituary):

Michael Jackson, the self-styled King of Pop, who has died suddenly aged 50 after being taken to hospital in Los Angeles, was music royalty – one of its biggest stars and holder, for Thriller, of the record for the best-selling album in history. Eventually, however, his bizarre life-style and personal notoriety eclipsed his talent and his numerous achievements.

The Times: (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article6581850.ece)

He liked to be known as the King of Pop, and only a handful of performers — Presley, Sinatra, the Beatles — could challenge Michael Jackson for the title of most successful popular music entertainer of all time.

Although ill health dogged his career in later years, and his reputation was irrevocably tarnished by the allegations of child abuse levelled against him in 1993 and again in 2004, the sheer scale of Jackson’s achievements remains undiminished.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you about the hypocracy of some of those commenting on him now, just that the darker parts of his life have been widely picked over the last few days also.

Scram
28/06/2009, 6:39 PM
Paul Gadd is an unreconstructed predator who doesn't see what the big deal is with his activities.

http://www.wallandpiece.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/michael-jackson-plastic-surgery.jpg

Where as Michael Jackson is certainly reconstructed.

jebus
28/06/2009, 6:44 PM
Didn't Jackson portray himself in a somewhat similar light during the interview with Martin Bashir?

Anyway I was no fan, and to be honest, don't mourn his passing. Everybody mentions how sad it is for his kids, but I don't think (based on what I've seen) that he was such a great father, and I'd imagine if a non-celebrity were parenting in the same way, they would struggle to keep custody of their children.

Not exactly. Jackson claimed to have slept in the same bed as boys, and asked what was wrong with that, but he did deny ever touching them in a sexual manner or propositioning them in any way.

Macy
30/06/2009, 9:52 AM
I actually thought it was the other way around - he wanted to face the charges but was advised to pay off instead.

He was, as others said, found not guilty in a court of law, which is very different to Gary Glitter. To be honest, whilst some of the stuff certainly doesn't sound great, I think he was so fooked up in the head that he still thought it was ok to behave like a child, with children. I'm not convinced that's enough to move it from "inappropriate" to "peodophilia", given the only time evidence was brought he was cleared.

I also think it's ridiculous for people to be judging him as a parent - they've (we've) no idea whether he was a good, bad or indifferent father.

endabob1
30/06/2009, 10:00 AM
I also think it's ridiculous for people to be judging him as a parent - they've (we've) no idea whether he was a good, bad or indifferent father.

And the dangling of new born baby from the window of his hotel room?

paul_oshea
30/06/2009, 10:23 AM

If you read what I read on the sunday times this morning then I think you could judge, again assuming its all correct. In fairness though its the Times and not the Sunday world.

Scram
08/07/2009, 11:28 AM
If you read what I read on the sunday times this morning then I think you could judge, again assuming its all correct. In fairness though its the Times and not the Sunday world.

Judging by his kids appearance and their genuine statements at his funeral, they seem very well reared, balanced and "normal" (well, for Americans!) and maybe we have all been too quick to judge. They even look at bit like MJ!

If he is completely innocent then the press would have been worse torture than if he was guilty. And, these kind of accusations could be levelled at anyone, the problem being, if they are found guilty or not, they will always be tainted.

anto1208
08/07/2009, 12:19 PM
Judging by his kids appearance and their genuine statements at his funeral, they seem very well reared, balanced and "normal" (well, for Americans!) and maybe we have all been too quick to judge. They even look at bit like MJ!

Good Nanny so ?

Scram
08/07/2009, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scram

Good Nanny so ?

I don't know. His daughter's speech didn't mention the nanny.