PDA

View Full Version : Players' Payments for internationals.

Scram
25/06/2009, 4:33 PM
Here's what I understand:

The players (i.e. the entire squad I assume) get about €1,000 per game from the FAI. Qualifying bonuses are paid from the FAI to the "squad" and divvied up by them as they decide.

All expenses would be paid of course.

Handy money for a youngster making a debut but not a lot in the whole scheme of things for a Premiership high roller..........like Paul McShane.

youngirish
25/06/2009, 4:58 PM

The players (i.e. the entire squad I assume) get about €1,000 per game from the FAI. Qualifying bonuses are paid from the FAI to the "squad" and divvied up by them as they decide.

Handy money for a youngster making a debut but not a lot in the whole scheme of things for a Premiership high roller..........like Paul McShane.

The way McShane's club career has been going of late those payments from the FAI could soon be his only means of supporting himself.

Greenforever
25/06/2009, 6:31 PM

What's your point?????????????????

Not exactly new news is it

superfrank
25/06/2009, 6:39 PM
Why do they get paid?

John83
25/06/2009, 6:50 PM
Why do they get paid?
I imagine it made a lot of sense back when they were earning feck all. These days, it's essentially pocket money.

geysir
25/06/2009, 7:58 PM
For some it's not even pocket money for others its decent slab of cash.

I've heard some stories of players donating their match fees,
Especially generous to Roy when his dog needed a few leg operations.

howsyourtouch
26/06/2009, 2:46 AM
most,if not all the players donate their money to charity...

Duggie
26/06/2009, 10:16 AM
they should get paid for internationals IMO. getting paid to play for your country, its an honour. different for club obvisouly.

strangeirish
26/06/2009, 11:33 AM
they should get paid for internationals IMO. getting paid to play for your country, its an honour. different for club obvisouly.
They should have the mentality that they would pay to play for their country.

as_i_say
26/06/2009, 11:57 AM
They should have the mentality that they would pay to play for their country.

Damn straight.

John83
26/06/2009, 12:23 PM
I've seen the opposite end of the sporting spectrum, underfunded sports where people (amateurs) have to dig into their own pockets to play for Ireland. That's not right either.

Duggie
26/06/2009, 12:28 PM

sorry that should read shouldnt not should. didnt realise. no way should they get paid while playing for ireland. id be totally against it. ya they should pay to play not the other way round.

elroy
26/06/2009, 12:49 PM
sorry that should read shouldnt not should. didnt realise. no way should they get paid while playing for ireland. id be totally against it. ya they should pay to play not the other way round.

I think these payments were made back in the day when the players werent earning the crazy money they earn now. As aforementioned in fairness to the vast majority of the players, the money is donated to charity. But perhaps the practice of paying players should be looked at again now considering the earnings of the players. It would be different if we only selected players from League 1/2 etc. If anything a number of players' careers have greatly benefited from being involved in the Irish set up when things have not been so good for them at their club.