PDA

View Full Version : Sligo Rovers v Rapid Vienna Thurs 23rd July

Kevin L
25/06/2009, 4:12 PM
Sligo Rovers have announced that anyone who purchases a ticket for their game against Vllaznia will have first preference for tickets for the home game against Rapid Vienna WHEN the club progress. Ticket holders are asked to hold onto their ticket stubs as they will be required as proof of purchase. Supporters are reminded that the home capacity for the Showgrounds is set at 2,700 so there will be a huge demand for tickets for the game against Rapid WHEN Paul Cook’s side beat Vllaznia. Supporters are advised to get their tickets fast so that they don’t miss out on what is set to be another famous European night in the Showgrounds. Tickets for the game against Vllaznia are currently on sale throughout Sligo and from any committee member.

thesilverfox
25/06/2009, 4:17 PM
Is this guy serious?????

avvenalaf
25/06/2009, 4:24 PM
Told ya. 2000 max

Rovers Maniac
25/06/2009, 4:25 PM
God almighty i know it's good to be confident but this i hate to see these threads its borderline on jinxing.

Jeebus
25/06/2009, 4:27 PM
God almighty i know it's good to be confident but this i hate to see these threads its borderline on jinxing.

I agree totally. I think its just the poster's attempt at humour though.

thesilverfox
25/06/2009, 4:31 PM
well if it is he has a brutal sense in humour. maybe put up a thread like this after the home leg if we have a decent advantage but this is bordering on the ridiculous.

Kevin L
25/06/2009, 5:19 PM
I've been told before my sense of humour isn't the best allright!!

The idea behind this post is that we are trying to get more people to the game and in turn create a better atmosphere.There has been a number of callers to the Club enquiring about tickets for the Rapid Vienna game.When asked were they going to the Vllaznia game they said no, they were waiting for the Vienna game.WHEN that game comes around there will definitely be a demand for tickets and it will definitely sell out.If people think they mightn't get a ticket for the next game, they might just buy one for this one.
We sold just under 250 tickets today in the Club office-this included 50 to an Albanian lad and 40 to a business who are treating their employees/suppliers.
The rest were a mixture of adults,concessions and kids.The kids tickets are nearly gone and there's not too many concessions left either.
There's no real point in putting this post up after the game.

I can guarantee you one thing that whatever team Paul Cook and Sligo Rovers put out, they will give 110% and wont be far away.

If anybody believes that what I write on a message board is going to affect the result of the game then they were obviously on the sauce today.
On the other hand if anybody has a doll and pins knocking around, or their first cousin dabbles in a bit of black magic or better still if they know any of the little people, we might be interested in meeting up!!
Now where did I put my copy of Darby O Gill.....

Let's get behind the team and convince our friends and family to go and get 2,001 in the gate just to **** off Avvenalaf because if you think my sense of humour is bad, well I wouldn't have a look in with him!!

Rovers1
25/06/2009, 6:23 PM
Going through the Rapid Vienna forum, the majority of them want to play us!

Some gems there too.

1.They think Oriel Park holds 13,500

2.But Sligo has a real airport. In Berecih blurred by Google Earth, a black bar to me in the pictures are not honest then looks that could land aircraft there.

3.Longer if someone travels to Sligo would be a visit to the Cliffs of Moher to offer that are not so far away

4.What a nonsense. For a club such as the Sligo Rovers is not at all, because every opponent is often the EC is an absolute highlight. It is neither random nor flattery that the EC Heimspiel Sligo on their homepage as the biggest game in many years and in the local radio of mighty Rapid Vienna talking.
Rapid And at least, is a name that is at least as a football fan ever heard can

5.They think we might play the game in Tolka

6.How much would appreciate sligo?
. Not very much, certainly much weaker than Bohemians.

7. And this city seems fairly isolated in the north of the country to be surrounded by a lake, mountains and more mountains ... sehr unwirtlich, was man da so auf Google Earth sehen kann. very inhospitable, so what is there on Google Earth can see.

8.The Sligos have a dream stadium. Soviel ist sicher. This much is certain.

Her mit den irischen (Damen) Her with the Irish (Ladies)

9.The city has 17,892 inhabitants, Sligo has about 150 pubs" source: wikipedia, na, I hope to Ireland.

Good fun if your bored.:D

rob mcdonald
25/06/2009, 9:03 PM
What more do some people want, European Football and still wont come out to the Showgrounds great idea Kevin L. Typical Sligo attitude.....

rob mcdonald
25/06/2009, 9:17 PM
Need to RELAX your stressed boy and still a week to match day maybe you should get a little lady company.. We'er all on edge but in fairness you have to see Kevin L's point. The club are trying their best and taking care of the punters who'll be singing our hearts out come thursday.

Redkenrover
25/06/2009, 9:20 PM
Sligo Rovers have announced that anyone who purchases a ticket for their game against Vllaznia will have first preference for tickets for the home game against Rapid Vienna WHEN the club progress. Ticket holders are asked to hold onto their ticket stubs as they will be required as proof of purchase. Supporters are reminded that the home capacity for the Showgrounds is set at 2,700 so there will be a huge demand for tickets for the game against Rapid WHEN Paul Cook’s side beat Vllaznia. Supporters are advised to get their tickets fast so that they don’t miss out on what is set to be another famous European night in the Showgrounds. Tickets for the game against Vllaznia are currently on sale throughout Sligo and from any committee member.

Whatever about KevinL's sense of humour, can I ask what the hell would be the point of posting the above after the Vllaznia game when people may have thrown out their ticket stubs. I can just see the thread now, "club let down fans who attend first round game" or maybe this gem "as usual the true fans miss out on tickets for the big games".:cool: Its a great idea and will make sure that everyone who makes an effort to go to the first game will get the chance to go to the second IF we progress.:D

red arrow
25/06/2009, 9:59 PM
the reality here is that we need to sell all 2500 tickets( 200 for vip etc) to cover the cost of travelling to the away leg. there is absolutely no money to be made by sligo rovers from this game. if we fill all the seats we will be lucky to break even. remember e50k had to be spent in upgrading the ground
(new seating, the pitch has being improved & a tv gantry has to go in place in the next few days, also the girders in the old stand had to be specially painted, all costing money) i for one will be very dissapointed if we do not sell the game complete & to prove "avenalaugh" estimates incorrect. i can understand kevin lydons idea of trying to drum up support cause from what i hear we are a good deal away yet from filling the ground but hopefully there will be a late surge. so i think it is every genuine supporters responsibility to promote the game as there are a lot of luke warm people out there and money is very tight. i just pray to god that the people of sligo give this game the support it deserves.

avvenalaf
25/06/2009, 10:22 PM
Look, let's get this straight, I think Kevin's idea is spot on the money and I will take no pleasure in being proven right, if I am, but I do live in the real world and there is a recession. Consequently, the GAA championship match v Galway on Sunday is going to take money from Rovers as Dad can't bring kids to both and if you think that GAA fans don't frequent the Showgrounds, then that is because you don't frequent GAA and see the many familiar faces. Town will turn out but the country is problematic.

red arrow
25/06/2009, 10:51 PM
when i said the "people of sligo" i am including town& county. i also feel that the chamber of commerce should be doing something to promote this game a banner across gratten st /oconnell st might be an idea. i am going to ask the question without suggesting or inviting criticism but should keith o dwyer play a more active roll on occasions like this. possibly he should be the link between sligo rovers & the business community for this game. it just seems to me that the game is not in the publics face so to speak. by the way avenalaf i will be in the "park" on sunday & looking very much forward to it along with paul & gerry and most of the players. lets hope that my doubt and your estimates are totally proven wrong for the big game next thursday night. sleep well my friend !

srfc1928
26/06/2009, 1:39 AM
when i said the "people of sligo" i am including town& county. i also feel that the chamber of commerce should be doing something to promote this game a banner across gratten st /oconnell st might be an idea. i am going to ask the question without suggesting or inviting criticism but should keith o dwyer play a more active roll on occasions like this. possibly he should be the link between sligo rovers & the business community for this game. it just seems to me that the game is not in the publics face so to speak. by the way avenalaf i will be in the "park" on sunday & looking very much forward to it along with paul & gerry and most of the players. lets hope that my doubt and your estimates are totally proven wrong for the big game next thursday night. sleep well my friend !
Totally agree with this. Maybe the council might turn a blind eye to extra posters/signs on the roadways on this occasion.
Afterall Rovers are representing the County & Borough of Sligo and the entire North West in the Europa Cup'

Maybe sell tickets through the Lotto stand in the Arcade. Massive footfall.

BTW fair play to Barton Smiths and Jako for selling the tickets.
Im sure its a incovience for them, next time i have to purchase sports stuff i'll buy it from these guys.
At the end of the day support your own.

LondonRover
26/06/2009, 11:18 AM
8.The Sligos have a dream stadium. Soviel ist sicher. This much is certain.

Not just me then!

On a more serious note, if the home leg of the 2Q round is going to be on the 23rd then that's the first game that I could possibly get to so I seriously hope that we can get past these Albanians and that I can get a ticket!

Kevin L
26/06/2009, 11:55 AM
I got a call from a committee member last night wondering what the "Vienna" promotion was.He said he got a call from a member of the public asking had he any tickets because he wanted to go to the Vienna game.So we sold 4 because of it-not a great return so far but still a return.
I think it is a very good idea but I have to admit it wasn't mine.But I did change the wording slightly ie I changed the word "if" to "WHEN" because I think we'll win-it'll be tough but we wont be far away.
Our buddy from Albania came back this morning and bought another 25 and we sold over 30 to Sligo fans as well-so slowly but surely they are going.
In relation to Keith O Dwyer, he does a lot of work that people dont see and I certainly dont envy parts of his job.He also does a lot of work for the FAI as well.
If we had the money, we would have 100's of posters/signs the length and breath of the North West but we dont.
Everybody has been talking about European football for long enough so in fairness everybody should know this game is on.I know I am talking to the converted here but if everybody brought just one more person to the game, we'd be in business.

mint sauce
28/06/2009, 1:12 PM
on reading this thread, some posts in particular, it looks like people are holding out for a possible game against Rapid Vienna to see the team, so hope no one takes offence about this, how about supporting the team and go to the Vllaznia game as well, the team is in europe, how often does it happen, get behind the team, and stop holding out for the bigger teams/games, hopefully we will progress, but its a knock out competition, its not a certainity

SligoBrewer
28/06/2009, 1:22 PM
on reading this thread, some posts in particular, it looks like people are holding out for a possible game against Rapid Vienna to see the team, so hope no one takes offence about this, how about supporting the team and go to the Vllaznia game as well, the team is in europe, how often does it happen, get behind the team, and stop holding out for the bigger teams/games, hopefully we will progress, but its a knock out competition, its not a certainity

Logistically, going to Albania is far harder than going to Austria.
Also, if something happens in Austria (An accident for example), I'd much rather a run in with the Austrian emergency services than the Albanian ones.
As well as this, Austria is in the EU, so travelling and the support between here and there will be much easier and better than in Albania.
I'd love to able to go to Albania, but for me and others it's just impossible. It's not about not supporting the team, it's about being able to go.
Believe me, if I could go, I would.

mint sauce
28/06/2009, 2:29 PM
Logistically, going to Albania is far harder than going to Austria.
Also, if something happens in Austria (An accident for example), I'd much rather a run in with the Austrian emergency services than the Albanian ones.
As well as this, Austria is in the EU, so travelling and the support between here and there will be much easier and better than in Albania.
I'd love to able to go to Albania, but for me and others it's just impossible. It's not about not supporting the team, it's about being able to go.
Believe me, if I could go, I would.

point taken, but i was more referring to the home game, i'd love to go to any away game they play in europe, unfortunatly, i cant at present

:(

Guts&Glory
29/06/2009, 12:58 PM
the reality here is that we need to sell all 2500 tickets( 200 for vip etc) to cover the cost of travelling to the away leg. there is absolutely no money to be made by sligo rovers from this game. if we fill all the seats we will be lucky to break even. remember e50k had to be spent in upgrading the ground
(new seating, the pitch has being improved & a tv gantry has to go in place in the next few days, also the girders in the old stand had to be specially painted, all costing money) i for one will be very dissapointed if we do not sell the game complete & to prove "avenalaugh" estimates incorrect. i can understand kevin lydons idea of trying to drum up support cause from what i hear we are a good deal away yet from filling the ground but hopefully there will be a late surge. so i think it is every genuine supporters responsibility to promote the game as there are a lot of luke warm people out there and money is very tight. i just pray to god that the people of sligo give this game the support it deserves.

TV gantry to be put in place - presumably there will be some TV money forthcoming so which should counteract some costs related to it.

Girders in the old stand had to be specially painted ??? With what ?

As for 200 tickets for VIP's - what VIP's ? If they dont go to games regularly they dont deserve the tickets and I for one dont want to be subsidisng their tickets.

Re The Pitch - There has been little or no work to the pitch - as stated previously on here by many it needs a fundamental overhaul - completely dug out and replaced from base level to reseeding - so any remedial work would be superficial and of little benefit.

The club did get a Euro qualifier grant fom the FAI at the start of the season which could and should have been used towards this - question is was it or was it diverted elsewhere to pay for ongoing bills etc as the clubs are not advised by the FAI that they must use it for a particular reason.

Rovers1
29/06/2009, 1:23 PM
Maybe if you came to one of the 'clean-up' days and gave a hand G&G you would know?

Pretty much the whole ground had to be re-painted, and paint is not cheap, neither are the new seats which were installed, the brackets that are holding them up, or the screws that fix them to the ground. I don't know how much the club recieved, or what they did with it but even if it is 70K, at a LoI club, it doesn't last long.

As for the pitch, it needs to be ripped up and started again, but where do we get the money or 'non-playing time' for that? It's bumpy and un-even but we have to live with it, and do the best we can with it. I was in the ground on Thursday last, and around the players tunnel, the Tracey, and Jinks Avenue were painted, and it makes the ground look alot better. There's 1 or 2 men (and a few volunteers along the way), who are in The Showgrounds every day leading up to this Vllaznia game, doing their best to make sure the ground looks its best on Thursday evening, on a very very tight budget.

Kevin L
29/06/2009, 2:05 PM
A Couple of Quick things-

We do indeed get €70,000 for the first round but we dont actually get the money until November but have to spend the money on improvements now.

There is no TV money for the first round but it is part of our UEFA Licence that we have one so up it goes.

As for VIPS there wont be anywhere near 200.
You will have the usual suspects eg the mayor, sponsors etc and we will also have representatives from all Sligo Leitrim Junior League winners this season plus the Youths.

rob mcdonald
29/06/2009, 5:20 PM
Roddy Collins getting the job with Floriana in Malta whom we beat last time in Europe is a sign from the gods. Its meant to be......
Are we putting these boys in the clarance hotel like we did to Floriana and the nite club thumpin...

sligoman
29/06/2009, 6:01 PM
TV gantry to be put in place - presumably there will be some TV money forthcoming so which should counteract some costs related to it.

Girders in the old stand had to be specially painted ??? With what ?

As for 200 tickets for VIP's - what VIP's ? If they dont go to games regularly they dont deserve the tickets and I for one dont want to be subsidisng their tickets.

Re The Pitch - There has been little or no work to the pitch - as stated previously on here by many it needs a fundamental overhaul - completely dug out and replaced from base level to reseeding - so any remedial work would be superficial and of little benefit.

The club did get a Euro qualifier grant fom the FAI at the start of the season which could and should have been used towards this - question is was it or was it diverted elsewhere to pay for ongoing bills etc as the clubs are not advised by the FAI that they must use it for a particular reason.Seriously, you'd need to check a few facts before you post on here. There's help needed in the Showgrounds all week, go up to it if yer around but there's no point coming on here complaining about stuff you obviously don't know about.

red arrow
29/06/2009, 6:31 PM
well g&g it shows that you know dam all about whats going on at the showgrounds. there are a small very dedicated hard working crew in the showgrounds doing their best for the last few months to get the ground ready for the game on thursday.your statement about the pitch is way off the mark
because resident in the showgrounds on three ocassions for the past three weeks giving his expert advise has being non other than one of the top groundsman from an english premier division club. george mullen ( a sligo man)
who is director of a company which lays football pitches all over europe was kind enough to help rovers out and this gentleman kindly is giving his advise on an ongoing basis. he has flown into sligo on three occasions &and the results will be there for all to see come thursday.

Guts&Glory
29/06/2009, 10:18 PM
well g&g it shows that you know dam all about whats going on at the showgrounds. there are a small very dedicated hard working crew in the showgrounds doing their best for the last few months to get the ground ready for the game on thursday.your statement about the pitch is way off the mark
because resident in the showgrounds on three ocassions for the past three weeks giving his expert advise has being non other than one of the top groundsman from an english premier division club. george mullen ( a sligo man)
who is director of a company which lays football pitches all over europe was kind enough to help rovers out and this gentleman kindly is giving his advise on an ongoing basis. he has flown into sligo on three occasions &and the results will be there for all to see come thursday.

Sligoman, red arrow, Rovers 1 -

Good to know you can ask questions here lads without being attacked.

I know of George Mullen and his work - the Trust had him over last season and paid for some samples to be tested and it was he who said the ground needed to be ripped up and started again at that time with an estimate of
€ 200k to €250k costing put on it to get it right once and for all.

My point was - if you read it as it was intended - that it needs to be ripped up and started again as was mentioned at the Collaney get together.

My question on the paint was a case of what special paint that red arrow mentioned was needed for the girders - fire retardent ? It was not a slant on any work being done but querying what UEFA request was on the special paint needed........but sure why read the questions when you can take any query as an attack.

Kevin L thanks for clearing some matters without the need to attack as others did.

The FAI maintain they paid us (and other euro qualifiers) monies at the start the start of the season which can be used in any avenue the club seems fit - a point made again by Richie Sadler on MNS last Monday (22/06) when Alan Kearins query on the topic was read out.

Red Arrow you claim I need to check my facts yet you attack Keith O'Dwyer claiming he needs to play a more active role or to be pushing the game more in the locality as its apparently not in peoples faces.......must be living in a different town to me then.

Keith has been pushing the club and game in schools, businesses and the press insesintly over the last number of months and visited over 60 schools in promoting the club

also as Kevin L pointed out your claim of 200 VIPS is way off the mark.........check your facts.

Red&White Rover
29/06/2009, 10:24 PM
If you saw the pitch recently, it is absolutely immaculate atm.

Rovers1
29/06/2009, 10:26 PM
In fairness G&G, if you read your post again, it does seem as if you're having a go.

The Midget Gem
29/06/2009, 11:27 PM
I know of George Mullen and his work - the Trust had him over last season and paid for some samples to be tested and it was he who said the ground needed to be ripped up and started again at that time with an estimate of :
€ 200k to €250k costing put on it to get it right once and for all.

My point was - if you read it as it was intended - that it needs to be ripped up and started again as was mentioned at the Collaney get together.

Even if the pitch was absolute muck i don't think anyone would be stupid enough to splash 250k on the pitch risking putting the club out of business atm. Don't forget we barely raised 300k last year to save the club from extinction and your asking us to splash it on a pitch. By the time its installed we wouldn't even be around to play on it.
This isn't an attack on you G&G, i just think that kind of money could be used to much better affect elsewhere at the moment.

red arrow
30/06/2009, 10:42 PM
me thinks you live in dublin?

Redie
01/07/2009, 9:04 AM
The club did get a Euro qualifier grant fom the FAI at the start of the season which could and should have been used towards this - question is was it or was it diverted elsewhere to pay for ongoing bills etc as the clubs are not advised by the FAI that they must use it for a particular reason.[/QUOTE]

Foghorn Leghorn could not have put that question better himself!

Rovers Maniac
01/07/2009, 11:33 AM
Wrong thread.