PDA

View Full Version : City looking for home boost

Neil
10/06/2001, 12:37 PM
The new season begins ridiculously early next Saturday when - little over five weeks since the end of the Premier Division - Cork City are in action in the Intertoto Cup.

Liam Murphy's charges host Metalurgs Liepajas at Turner's Cross at 6:30, knowing that a win would give themselves a huge boost ahead of the return leg in Latvia.

Veteran defender Declan Daly admitted to John Byrne of the Sunday World that it felt strange to be playing again. "It's only been a few weeks since we beat Shelbourne to qualify. It feels unusual to be playing in Europe already."

"We know little about them. But apparently, they have six Russian and two Latvian internationals in their squad - they can't be bad.

"But City have a proud record in Europe and we've no intention of letting ourselves down here. We'll be aiming to win this first leg next Saturday.

"The important thing is that we go over to Latvia with something under our belts. Wven a 1-0 win would give us a great chance of getting through," he added.

Alexksandrs Rogoza, Metalurgs' manager, has already visited Cork to see what lies in store. "He seemed impressed by the ground and said that it was pretty similar to their own ground," said City director Tony Walsh.

There promises to be a big crowd Leeside for the action on Saturday. Tickets cost £8 for the stand and £6 for the terrace, with a 50 per cent concession for students and OAPs.

Meanwhile, Cork have signed Conor O'Grady from Sligo Rovers. The young midfielder saw little action for Rovers last season, but he is one of the best prospects in the local game.

pete
11/06/2001, 10:24 AM
"We know little about them. But apparently, they have six RussianS IN THEIR SQUAD, and two Latvian internationals in their squad - they can't be bad.

......I think it makes more sense that way?

joe
11/06/2001, 10:28 AM
I don't even think they have that many russians - maybe one or two and it looks like they have a few Lithuanians and a Bielorussian(sp?). As for Latvian internationals, I checked out the national team in their last couple of WC Qualifiers and I couldn't find anyone from Metalurgs there. I don't think they're any great shakes at all, but they have won 7 out of their first 8 league matches and that could be crucial (remember CSCA Kyiv?)

Leonard
11/06/2001, 1:03 PM
Possibly they have some chess internationals or something just to make up the numbers. Or perhaps the translation of "internationals" from Latvian to English reads players?

Umberside
16/03/2009, 9:53 AM
And now it's us with the two Latvian internationals...

Sheridan
16/03/2009, 10:34 AM
Eight years between responses, two deleted users, a double-post and a smiley mishap. As first impressions go, this one's up there.

Umberside
16/03/2009, 10:37 AM
Eight years between responses, two deleted users, a double-post and a smiley mishap. As first impressions go, this one's up there.

Yeah good one I didn't know how to edit my post and ended up posting the same thing twice:rolleyes: