PDA

View Full Version : Rovers to get €60M from a Joker

SÓC
22/01/2004, 10:02 AM
According to the Ultras MB Brendan O'Carroll has €60 mill to spare and is going to invest it in Rovers, as you do.

He wants to build a hotel on the site where they have the stadium and finish the stadium itself.

Macy
22/01/2004, 10:04 AM
That can't be true.... By saying "joker" you're implying that Brendan O'Carroll is actually funny....

Crumlin Hoop
22/01/2004, 10:19 AM
If this deal does go ahead, Rovers will be back where they belong.At the summit of the EL table.

Mass hysteria in Pigsbourgh as we speak

Forza Hoops.

Macy
22/01/2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Guerzy
Yeah this was on the eircom league message board earlier. They seem to think its definitely true. the tallaght site itself is meant to be prime land so I suppose it just looks like Rovers just come with the package.they plan to build hotels and what Rovers stadium wouldnt come without its own shopping centre. Maybe not such a great move for them even it does offer financial stability
Whatever about the hotel (which has already been turned down), the original plans included retail units and a bar. The idea (which all clubs should be doing) is to maximise off the pitch revenue.... If it's to be believed it would be great for rovers (obv.), and I actually think great for the league. It would really raise the bar, and if a success make others think of investing....

btw also plans for a proper academy with educational and training facilities.

It sounds great, whether it's actually true is the next step...

the 12 th man
22/01/2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
According to the Ultras MB Brendan O'Carroll has €60 mill to spare and is going to invest it in Rovers, as you do.

He wants to build a hotel on the site where they have the stadium and finish the stadium itself.

i dont think he has the proverbial pot to p*** in to be honest.the only 60 million he will ever see will be in monopoly money.

tiktok
22/01/2004, 10:29 AM
Sounds great, and it'd be fantastic for Rovers if it came about. I'm assuming that O'Carroll is heading some type of consortium though, because no way he has 60mill to spend on rovers, or was 60 a typo?

Crumlin Hoop
22/01/2004, 10:33 AM
I agree 100%.The EL needs this deal as much as Rovers do.Every other club in the league would benefit from this plan.Like us our loath us, this league needs a strong Shamrock Rovers FC to survive.

I hope Glen Fitzpatrick and Judas Keddy are sick after hearing this news today

Forza Hoops

SÓC
22/01/2004, 11:14 AM
I think all Rovers fans should hold their fire, only last summer ye were singing the praises of Ben Dunne.

liamon
22/01/2004, 2:42 PM
Do you honestly think Brendan O Caroll gives two s**ts about Rovers. ....Its a terrible deal for Rovers fans who want the return of the glory days , a good one for the very very short term
Who cares if O'Carroll gives a damn about football?

I don't think it's that bad a deal. Even if they never see a single euro form the hotels, as long as they finally get a stadium, they can start to rebuild. As things stand, the lack of a home is killing the club.

Ideally, they should negotiate some sort of rental income from some of the property to ensure future revenue, but I'm not sure they have a strong negotiatoing position to begin from. Every one knows they're stuck for cash at the moment.

However, I can't see where B. O'Carroll is getting that much cash from. He's cr*p and would be lucky to pull €60,000 together.

Crumlin Hoop
22/01/2004, 2:45 PM
I disagree, if this deal goes ahead it will be great news for Rovers in the long term.As long as Rovers get an agreement that the land the stadium is on cannot be used for any other purposes than a football pitch.We dont want another Milltown fiasco further down the line.Also Rovers keep control of all the retail outlets and bar facilities.As far as Im concerned, they can build what they like beside it, once the stadium is opened by October, as has been mentioned.

Its still only a pipedream, but at least its a dream!!!

Forza Hoops.

Macy
22/01/2004, 3:03 PM
Macy, do you honestly think the profit he makes from retailing etc out there is going to be pumped straight back into the football club. You must be out of your mind. Its a terrible deal for Rovers fans who want the return of the glory days , a good one for the very very short term
You and I (or the Rovers fans yet) know the full in's and out's of the deal, but the opinion seems to be that the retail units and bar would be for the club. Anyway the point I was making was that Rovers have the planning permission for the retail units and the bar already - their implementation may have been terrible, but their ideas for Tallaght were spot on - maximise off the field income to support the team.

max power
22/01/2004, 3:40 PM
oh look Cork fans giving out about someone else having money, if it goes ahead best of luck to rovers, every club needs a home ground, its good for the league, who wants to see 3 clubs playing at the same ground each season ????

tallaght is one of the fastist growing towns in europe and the retail end of things is big really big, being beside the square and all, and hey they might even move woodies over there too.

drummerboy
22/01/2004, 3:43 PM
I think the main man is a guy called Noonan, who seemingly has been involved in football in Tallaght, as well as owning a very successful security company, who has the contract for all the rock concerts and such like.

max power
22/01/2004, 3:46 PM
football is a business and every club needs a business man behind it, loyality and heart don't pay the bills these days as much as i'd like them to.

SÓC
22/01/2004, 4:20 PM
Originally posted by max power
Cork fans

One fan Max, should we judge all Longford fans on Macy?:rolleyes:

Macy
22/01/2004, 4:22 PM
I'm overwhelmed....

WeAreRovers
22/01/2004, 5:04 PM
I think all Rovers fans should hold their fire, only last summer ye were singing the praises of Ben Dunne.

I'm not getting into this on here but I wanted to correct a misapprehension that everyone seems to be under. The Ben Dunne deal is still there but it's for Phase 2 (well Phase 2 and a bit really).

Phase 1 is what we are talking about now but Ben Dunne's plans can't get up and running until Phase 1 is completed. But it is very much alive.

Obviously now that we have €60 million from Brendan O'Carroll all bets are off. :D

KOH

max power
23/01/2004, 8:44 AM
anytime any dublin club get any good or bad news a lot of cork fans turn up and go on and no about the dublin teams and how cork is the model of the future, that is what i'm saying

sadloserkid
23/01/2004, 10:20 AM

Why not? I know I do. And I judge Cork on Colm so make of that what you will! ;)

Dricky
23/01/2004, 10:33 AM
anytime any dublin club get any good or bad news a lot of cork fans turn up and go on and no about the dublin teams and how cork is the model of the future, that is what i'm saying

Have to say no disrespect to the rover fans but I thought you would want to see someone who has always supported the team as a fan and to see it work, this has been done in Cork Shels Bohs Waterford etc, a fan who has links to the club funding the club seems like a noble gesture but to try to take the club over lock stock I think is bad form just as I think the Chelski deal is a bad deal for their club. How much work has O'Carrol put into rovers???? Never heard his name mentioned before as an important part of rovers.

max power
23/01/2004, 10:39 AM
he's a business man in it for the money, rovers get something he gets something, long gone are the days of ruling the club with your heart, football is big business and should be treated that way, an invester is an invester, money is money once it comes from legal circumstances.

tiktok
23/01/2004, 12:29 PM

...and in this case you're completely wrong. the worst any city fan has written in response to this story is that they'd be worried that Rovers would be taken for a ride, because the focus seems to be on the development land rather than the club.

most have welcomed any move that'll help rovers get themselves together in Tallaght, as it'll help strengthen the league.

but why bother reading anyone's posts when that time could be spent writing a knee-jerk reaction:rolleyes:

dortie
23/01/2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
Why not? I know I do. And I judge Cork on Colm so make of that what you will! ;)

I used to judge Limerick on Sadloserkid but having met 4 or 5 in the play-offs Ive changed me mind hi ! ;)

fergalr
23/01/2004, 1:01 PM
As a Rovers fan, I'm used to false hopes and false dawns -- all the way back to the "Giles-ey" era that was going to propel us into the European elite.

I wish it were otherwise but this whole story seems a bit of a joke. 60 million euro!? An academy funded by Bundesliga clubs running courses on "substance abuse" (sic)!? Brendan O'Carroll!???? Park and ride from the Luas!?

The Luas thing is the clincher that the whole story is bogus!

Éanna
23/01/2004, 1:09 PM
I can't believe the amount of money being talked about here. I'd be very suspicious of it, there's been a lot of false dawns before. I hope rovers do get the ground sorted out, because it will be good for the league, but I dunno how much faith to put in this one to be honest

sadloserkid
23/01/2004, 1:09 PM
Originally posted by dortie
I used to judge Limerick on Sadloserkid but having met 4 or 5 in the play-offs Ive changed me mind hi ! ;)

Well you couldn't really have expected them all to be such fine, expressive and otherwise well-rounded people as me now could ya??? :p

dortie
23/01/2004, 2:34 PM
Well you couldn't really have expected them all to be such fine, expressive and otherwise well-rounded people as me now could ya??? :p

Good bunch of lads stayed the night in Derry with Brandywell Pride ...cant remember their names....fair play to them.

Carlin
23/01/2004, 3:57 PM
This song from Rathcoole Bohs sums up that joker's 60 million offer:D

Fictitious Lies
By Rathcoole Bohs

Sing to the tune of Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley (the King)

Our ground is some crap
We can't get built
Because we owe out too much money
Why can't you play
We'll pay you one day
But you can't believe a word we say?

We can't go on together
With fictitious lies
And we can't build our field
On fictitious lies

A consortium I know
Drops by to say you-know
We'll build a hotel up in the skies
Here you go again
****ing had, you've been
You can't see if their plans are real
Your crying

We can't go on together
With fictitious lies
On fictitious lies

[Bridge: the slow bit]
Oh let our club survive
Sell us to Mother Brown's boys
Let's not let Boots go to Bohs
When money, you know
We never gave to him
Ooh, yeah, yaeh, yeah

Our ground is some crap
We can't get built
Because we owe out too much money
Why can't you play
We'll pay you one day
But you can't believe a word we say?

We can't go on together
With fictitious lies
On fictitious lies

We're caught in a trap
I can't walk out
[REPEAT TO FADE]

Que some fat Rovers fans in hooped jump-suits aiming karate kicks at busses.

Thankyouverymuch...

Over The Tannoy at Tolka
"Ladies and Gentlemen, Rovers have left the building"

Colm
23/01/2004, 6:14 PM

Why thank you, I'm ever so flattered!:rolleyes: ;)
I judge Limerick on your good self aswell SLK!:D

btw SOCcfc, why would anyone judge Longford on Macy, sure isn't he a Pats fan?:eek:

Pauro 76
23/01/2004, 8:38 PM
I might be wrong, off-topic but wasnt Brendan O'Carroll yapping once about launching an airline, dont think that one ever got off the groud.... :rolleyes:

Sorry, but he sounds a bit of a chancer to me, bit of free publicity there or something, i know his intentions are good but as id wait and see if anything happens...

Martinho II
23/01/2004, 9:17 PM
This sounds too fishy to me. 60m euro is like a english figure to invest in a club.That sort of money should go to the eircom league than pay to pay a hotel to be built on rovers grounds. I know that rovers will move to their new ground and all and i would be delighted for them but think of the better picture. Can a hotel make that much money-think of chelsea fc and the disaster of the chelsea village project that went into huge losses on that venture.

I really hope it works for the SRFC but i am a bit sceptical.
:(

the scout
23/01/2004, 9:24 PM
Originally posted by PAURO 7

Sorry, but he sounds a bit of a chancer to me, bit of free publicity there or something, i know his intentions are good but as id wait and see if anything happens... [/B]

yeah brendan is going to get the whole thing rolling with a gigantic fundraising gig out doors in the phoenix park.brendan said "we are very optimistic of about 100 k people plus at this fabulous gig featuring myself "."so thats about 3 million euro on the gate plus programmes and refreshments".,

he never said where on when we can snap up tickets for this unmissable performance.

Schumi
26/01/2004, 11:58 AM
This isn't the first time he's tried something like this apparently.

from The Sunday Times
Brendan O’Carroll, below, must be improving. Nearly 15 years with a reputation as one of the country’s leading funnymen and he’s finally made us laugh with his €60m proposal to save Shamrock Rovers. The ‘entertainer’ is not only going to finish Rovers’ stadium but is, magically, going to make himself and his mystery backers a tidy profit in the process.

A lot of Rovers fans are, understandably, elated with the news but a cursory glance at O’Carroll’s history of attempted purchases of Irish clubs suggests the proposal should, at the very least, be taken with extreme caution. In the early 1990s, O’Carroll met the directors of Kilkenny City and, on top of offending them with, ahem, the suggestive quality of his jokes he put a £1m offer on the table. Their negative answer included several retorts, one of the more printable being: ‘Over my dead body’. In 1997 he was approached by a director of Home Farm with a view to investing in the club. They looked at his proposal which involved a hotel, retail outlets and, sure why not, a helicopter pad and ran a mile. ‘It was a very ambitious plan,’ said one director. ‘Too far-fetched. It wasn’t the right direction for us.’ There were other flirtations too and now the story moves on to Rovers. O’Carroll once said: ‘My ma made me believe I could fly. “Just take off any time you want, Brendan — you can fly, man. All you've got to do is flap your arms”.’ Oh good, a dreamer and a visionary. Just what the Eircom League needs.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-976219,00.html