PDA

View Full Version : Rui Jorge fears Cyprus mauling in Dublin

Neil
05/10/2001, 1:57 AM
Portugal defender Rui Jorge fears the depleted squad selected by Cyprus for their World Cup qualifier against the Republic of Ireland could give Mick McCarthy's side hope of topping Group 2. "It is difficult to believe. It is not a normal situation," he moaned.

Leaders Portugal face a full-strength Estonia side in their own final qualifier, knowing a win will be enough to reach the World Cup - unless Ireland can rattle up at least eight goals against Cyprus.

But Jorge fears the Cyprus line-up - without nine regulars - could be lambs to the slaughter. "All I can say is that I hope the players called up to play in Ireland give their very best and get a good result," he added.

The left-back has found time to focus on his own team's encounter, despite an apparent pre-occupation with events in Ireland. And Jorge accepts Portugal have a perfect opportunity to make up for past near misses by qualifying for Japan and Korea.

"It not going to be easy and in a decisive moment like this, things can become even more difficult," he said. "But there is great excitement around this game and we are confident we will win and be in the World Cup."

Gerry Desmond
05/10/2001, 11:51 AM
Pants-wetting in Portugal, then?
I think expecting Ireland to beat even a Cypriot club side 8:0 would be a bit much.
I think the Ports will bottle it...!

Gerry

A face
05/10/2001, 12:00 PM
Is it 3.00 or is it 6.00, Portugal kick off at six i have be told. Does anyone know.

Citymark
05/10/2001, 12:38 PM
6.00, I think that the last round of games have to kick off at the same time.

pete
05/10/2001, 12:51 PM
definite. arranged after consultation with the Portugese.

Brine
28/10/2001, 1:56 AM
Originally posted by Citymark
6.00, I think that the last round of games have to kick off at the same time.

except for the Dutch match of course :D