PDA

View Full Version : FAO Supporters' Club/Re: Drogheda

Dodge
21/01/2004, 2:07 PM
Right Lads, its pretty much universally agreed that we can't let Drogheda's board get away with this. What can we do...

I suggest that a letter condemning the actions and calling for a boycott of Drogheda home games by all fans be drawn up and released to the press. If we represented every premier Club I'm sure it'd make some noise and force them to rethink.

I Don't mind doing a bit of the groundwork but I need ALL supporter's clubs to come on board. Hopefully the Drogheda one too...

Any takers?

Macy
21/01/2004, 2:25 PM
Well I'm sure the Longford Section O Continuity Buckfast Army/ Quick Nip Faction will lend it's support...

max power
21/01/2004, 2:26 PM
i agree, its bad enough having to go up there without having to pay sooo much, they should do leaving cert economics.

Xlex
21/01/2004, 2:28 PM
Should NLU not be organising this....

Should NLU not take a stand for or against the 22 team league or the proposed integration of the eL into the FAI??

NLU still canvass for membership yet are no where...

I support this proposal anyway....

max power
21/01/2004, 2:42 PM
if you got some sort of a statement ready i'd release it to news talk ( off the ball) , they are always interested it fans views and they have a new football phone in on a thursday night between 9 and 10.

Xlex
21/01/2004, 2:43 PM
No need to rush into it...

max power
21/01/2004, 2:44 PM
just for info...

Dodge
21/01/2004, 2:46 PM
NLU.. remember them...

Anyway It would be a straightforward letter and at the end we'd list all supporter's groups who agree...

Xlex
21/01/2004, 2:48 PM
and pass on the statement so we can have it posted on our homepages whilst Drogs get it....

If they don't listen, it's boycott........

max power
21/01/2004, 2:48 PM
section O is too far to walk, but i have "enjoyed" buckfast for a number of years so i think i'll have to more towards the buckfast army

MariborKev
21/01/2004, 4:22 PM
The Queens Derry City Supporters Club(yes its meant to be ironic) is fully behind any statement condeming this crazy pricing structure

Just call us the Belfast DCSC

John83
21/01/2004, 5:15 PM
I can't speak for the rest of them, and we're not in the Premier League any more, but I imagine the UCD Official Supporters Committee will sign any reasonable letter of complaint.

Actually, scrap that. Write something abusive to Doolo and we'll definately sign it. :D

UCD_4_Life
21/01/2004, 6:52 PM
Originally posted by John83
I can't speak for the rest of them, and we're not in the Premier League any more, but I imagine the UCD Official Supporters Committee will sign any reasonable letter of complaint.

Actually, scrap that. Write something abusive to Doolo and we'll definately sign it. :D

Also, I'd be willing to subscribe to any anti-Doolin newsletters. Ooh, does anyone know where I can get some anti-Doolin pogs?

Doolin went away for a while but now he's back! In pog form.

tiktok
21/01/2004, 7:10 PM
I certainly can't speak on behalf of CCISA but someone has already mooted a boycott on the city forum. In fairness, a united front should be attempted in support of the action the Drogs fans are bound to take.

Martinho II
21/01/2004, 10:05 PM
Ye can count on myself and pauro 7 on yer support. I heard it on radio one going into work this morning. Did not get the full gist but heard enough. An absolute disgrace and we support ye behind the way. By the way xlex, sorry to be ignorant, what is NLU?
:confused:

brendy_éire
21/01/2004, 10:21 PM
I think for the boycott to be really effective, the Drogheda SCs shouldn't attend. Say, the first home match of the season, regardless of whether they hold a season ticket or not, don't attend. An empty United Park would force the board to revise the prices.

A face
21/01/2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by brendy_eire
I think for the boycott to be really effective, the Drogheda SCs shouldn't attend. Say, the first home match of the season, regardless of whether they hold a season ticket or not, don't attend. An empty United Park would force the board to revise the prices.

Definitely ..... In fairness it aint much good boycotting if you actually turn up. (Season ticket holders should definitely not turn up, solidarity must prevail amoung Drogs fans)

National League United is what NLU stands for ... or should i say ... Stood for !!

Schumi
22/01/2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
Also, I'd be willing to subscribe to any anti-Doolin newsletters. There'll be one on sale in Belfield next season, Student Till I Graduate is the name I think. :D

Aberdonian Stu
22/01/2004, 2:16 PM
Count me in too, could someone explain the principles of supply and demand to the Drogs. Just because you raise the price doesn't mean you raise revenue. Less people will be willing to attend at that cost leading to the potential (and very realistic) situation of Drogheda's takings taking a further slump.

max power
22/01/2004, 3:35 PM
Drogs chairman defends ticket decision

Vincent Hoey, the chairman of Premier Division club Drogheda United, has defended the decision of the club to totally revamp its ticket pricing strategy ahead of the new season, when admission to United Park on match-days will cost twice as much as last term.

Stand tickets at United Park will now be available for Eur25, up from Eur13 last term, with adult terrace tickets doubling to Eur20.

Season tickets - priced at Eur200 and Eur250 for the terrace and stand respectively - look decent value in comparison to the match-day tickets, although it remains a fear that the casual local supporter - as well as the away support - will opt to stay away from United Park next season as a result of the hike.

However, club chairman Hoey defended the price increase, insisting that funds must be raised if the club is to keep its head above water.

He said: "We have to raise money through fund-raising, we have to raise money commercially, we have to find sponsors. This is a drastic proposal, and it’s painful for me to make it, but what’s the point in codding everybody? Do they want a professionally-run, properly-run club which is trying to get success?

"The pride and the name of Drogheda is at stake here. What happens if in the middle of the season we haven’t the money to pay the players? Who’s going to pay them? Have we the responsibility now to try and ensure that that doesn’t happen, or should we gaily go in and hope for the best?

"This is the kernel of the situation, we’re trying to make the thing pay - I would let people in for nothing if I could afford to do it."

Macy
22/01/2004, 3:37 PM
So basically he's saying that they didn't set a realistic budget and gave Doolin to much to spend and now they're fúcked (again)?

max power
22/01/2004, 3:42 PM
and that the words basic economics is foreign up there, keep the prices low and as the saying goes stack em and watch em fly.

max power
22/01/2004, 3:50 PM
i think the idea that harps use for a kit sponser is great for a club who can't get one, a number of businesses pay an amount to have their name put in a raffle and the winner gets their name on the shirts for a season, great for small business people who want to help the club but can't afford a large amount.

i for one WILL NOT go up there if the prices stay the same.

max power
22/01/2004, 3:56 PM
Drogheda United have been wholeheartedly blasted on eircom League message boards following the announcement of their revised ticket prices for the 2004 League
campaign.

Under the new pricing scheme, that will leave many supporters feeling that they are being priced out of the market, adults will have to pay a staggering €20 to stand on the terraces and €25 to sit in the stand.

Students and old-age pensioners will be charged €10 per game while children under 12 will be admitted for a fiver.

Supporters logging on to different websites have suggested boycotting United Park next season until the County Louth club directors find some sense while others just believe that the new pricing scheme will completely backfire on a club who have had more than their fair share of financial problems over the past decade.

Éanna
23/01/2004, 1:39 PM
Originally posted by Macy
So basically he's saying that they didn't set a realistic budget and gave Doolin to much to spend and now they're fúcked (again)?
yeah spot on. Drogheda are a disgrace- do they study maths up there at all. Every 2 or 3 years they nearly go an bankrupt themselves.

p.s. Easiest way to avoid paying the €25 is get a student card, they're only charging us scroungers a tenner :)

max power
23/01/2004, 1:40 PM
rather not travel at all, an empty ground sends a message, thats if they are bright enough to notice the ground is empty

Macy
23/01/2004, 1:42 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
p.s. Easiest way to avoid paying the €25 is get a student card, they're only charging us scroungers a tenner :)
Sure an old one works at most grounds anyway.... (all except Shels where Fintan is on the student turnstile!)

Éanna
23/01/2004, 1:59 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Sure an old one works at most grounds anyway.... (all except Shels where Fintan is on the student turnstile!) just stagger in the gate smelly, unshaven and with a an air of linden village on your breath and they don't even ask for the card ;)

max power
23/01/2004, 2:06 PM
i think it would be buckfast and not linden village, ah linden village i remember that from feile ( spelled wrong i think ) down in thurles, ha ha what a weekend they were.

pineapple stu
23/01/2004, 4:41 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
just stagger in the gate smelly, unshaven and with a an air of linden village on your breath and they don't even ask for the card ;)

Even better - wear a UCD jersey and people just assume you have a card somewhere!

On the Drogheda thing, though, it sounds as if they're still in serious financial trouble if they're bringing such a price hike in - they're going to lose heavily on it (regular supporters will get a season ticket which costs the matches at around the normal price, while everyone else will boycott the games) and if they're claiming they HAVE to do this to ensure players' wages are being paid by the middle of the season, then I can hardly see how they're going to stay up.

Loved the bit about paying extra to see a professionally-run club though!!!

the scout
23/01/2004, 9:14 PM
there will be a special turnstile for american express gold cards and another for superquinn points cards.you can also save up via 1 euro stamps and when you have 20 you are in for a week.
burgers will now cost 10 euro,chips 6 euro and a can of coke 5 euro,programmes are a giveaway at 10 euro.
estimates can be provided on team hats and scarves just ask a committe member.:D