PDA

View Full Version : Graham Stack?

Peadar
21/01/2004, 1:30 PM
I've seen a bit of Graham Stack between the sticks for both Ireland U21's and Arsenal lately and I genuinely think he's a realistic under-study for Given. I haven't seen or heard anything of Nick Colgan recently. On current form, is Stack our best option for 2nd choice keeper?

tiktok
21/01/2004, 1:35 PM
Not for me, Kerr has to pick Paddy kenny from Sheffield United for the upcoming friendlies. His form has warranted a call up with eighteen months now and i think he would have been called up against canada if it hadn't been for his injury.
He'd be my number two. Stack and Colgan, couldn't really pick between them, haven't seen enough of either, but at least Stack seem to get the occasional game, Colgan was out of favour last i heard.

Dodge
21/01/2004, 1:54 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
Not for me, Kerr has to pick Paddy kenny from Sheffield United for the upcoming friendlies. His form has warranted a call up with eighteen months now and i think he would have been called up against canada if it hadn't been for his injury.
He'd be my number two. Stack and Colgan, couldn't really pick between them, haven't seen enough of either, but at least Stack seem to get the occasional game, Colgan was out of favour last i heard.
How Plastic is Paddy Kenny?

Is Joe Murphy playing anywhere? Is he better than stack (who played a lot for Beveren in Belgium)?

drummerboy
21/01/2004, 1:57 PM
Joe Murphy is a smashing keeper. Just can't shift Hault at WBA. Probably needs a move to further his career.

finlma
21/01/2004, 2:01 PM
I was at the Arsenal Boro game last night and I was really impressed by Graham Stack. He made a couple of great saves and looked very comfortable. Admittedly he fluffed one cross but on the whole he looked good.

Plastic Paddy
21/01/2004, 2:24 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
How Plastic is Paddy Kenny?

AFAIK, his father is Irish-born as are both his maternal grandparents. So how plastic do you think that makes him? ;)

:D PP

Falconblade
21/01/2004, 3:44 PM
Stack's a great keeper, had a really good game last night but I agree Paddy Kenny deserves a chance for the time being. Stack in 2-3 seasons maybe.

SÓC
21/01/2004, 4:13 PM
Kenny himself said he'd have an easier time getting into the England squad (which at the time when we had Given and Kiely) was true) but that he regarded himself as Irish and wanted to play for Ireland.

As for stack saw him play for the Irish U-21 a few times and wasnt overly impressed, hads a stinker against Scotland but im sure he's come on since then.

Macy
21/01/2004, 4:17 PM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
AFAIK, his father is Irish-born as are both his maternal grandparents. So how plastic do you think that makes him? ;)

As plastic as Kieth Allen is to England?

Plastic Paddy
21/01/2004, 6:29 PM
Originally posted by Macy
As plastic as Kieth Allen is to England?

Long memory you have there Macy... :D

fromthenorthffs
21/01/2004, 7:17 PM
2 words

Greg Rusedski

2 more

John Barnes

ohh, another 2

Owen Hargreaves

Ozymandias
22/01/2004, 10:26 AM
terry butcher is another

finlma
22/01/2004, 10:39 AM
While we're at it so is Martin Keown.

Bowsy
04/02/2004, 11:31 AM
Watched Arsenal game last night. Was again impressed by Stack. Brilliant save from Maccarone but all round very solid and looks pretty unflappable which you can't say about Murphy who in fairness nearly sh@t himself against Turkey. Have seen him live twice this season too(league cup games are cheap and easy to get tickets for) and have liked what i've seen. For me Stack and Kenny have to be brought in as Given's understudies.

Peadar
04/02/2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Bowsy
Watched Arsenal game last night. Was again impressed by Stack.

I agree with you there.
He was put under undue pressure from some poor defending and coped admirably. Couldn't fault him for the goals.
I hope Arsenals exit from the league cup doesn't see Graham fade into the background again. Taylor was on the bench last night which means he's coming back to fitness. Brian Kerr may have had other things on his mind last night but I hope someone gives him the video of the game.

Bowsy
04/02/2004, 11:57 AM
will be interesting. Don't think much of Taylor and Rami Shaaban is the stiffest looking keeper i've ever seen. Both young though so if they get preference on their returns from injury and West Ham respectively it won't bode well for Stack's Arsenal future. If maintains current promise though will definitely have a future in top flight football.

John83
04/02/2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Bowsy
Don't think much of Taylor and Rami Shaaban is the stiffest looking keeper i've ever seen. Both young though so if they get preference on their returns from injury and West Ham respectively it won't bode well for Stack's Arsenal future.
I don't know about that. Lehman isn't exactly a spring chicken, so I'd expect him to leave if one of the younger players breaks through ahead of him, and Shaaban hasn't impressed me.

SÓC
04/02/2004, 12:25 PM
Has Stack gone ahead of Taylor in the pecking order?

Taylor is fit again but Stack played last night. It would be very interesting if Stack was the No.2 coz afaik Lehman is 33 or so.

4tothefloor
04/02/2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by finlma
While we're at it so is Martin Keown.

Might as well throw Lennox Lewis in there aswell, hold on there's also our very own Kieran Bracken who plays Rugby Union for Engerland.

Shelsman
04/02/2004, 12:57 PM
Kenny should be No.2 as he is playing every week. Stack sounds very promising. I would as soon see an eL keeper who is getting his game every week be in the squad ( 3rd choice keeper? ) rather than some reserve in England who has played a handful of games in their whole career.

Remember Jim Goodwin getting a cap against Finland when he had about a dozen first team games in his whole career behind him ( that said, he was a very promising underage international )? Surely a promising young ( 18-24 ) eL centreback who had a few seasons experience as a first teamer should have been given a chance in that case ( and would have put them in the shop window too ).

Peadar
04/02/2004, 2:07 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Taylor is fit again but Stack played last night.

The Arsenal boss seems to stick with one keeper during cup campaigns. Last season I think Taylor played in every FA Cup game bar the final. I presume Stack was playing ahead of Taylor as a reward for his participation in the competition up until that point.

SÓC
04/02/2004, 2:56 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
Kenny should be No.2 as he is playing every week. Stack sounds very promising. I would as soon see an eL keeper who is getting his game every week be in the squad

Speaking of which, couldnt Steve Williams play for Ireland now that FIFA have changed the rule?

Be a better option than Joe Murphy