PDA

View Full Version : Stan interviewed for Motherwell job

Pages : [1] 2

boovidge
20/06/2009, 7:43 PM
Hmm, I wonder who I'd pick out of these two...:)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/8111043.stm

Paddy Garcia
20/06/2009, 7:45 PM
Anyone see that interview with Spud for a job in Trainspotting.

Colbert Report
20/06/2009, 7:46 PM
Sanchez is wasting his time with likes of Motherwell. He needs to get on with a decently funded Championship club a la Roy Keane.

Good move for Staunton if he gets it. If he's serious about becoming a real football manager, he needs to start somewhere like League 2 and build his way up. At Motherwell he might be in well over his head.

Let's not forget what a great servant to the country he was for so many years. Good luck to him.

carloz
20/06/2009, 7:53 PM
Sanchez did his level best to destroy Fulham by somehow thinking that two bit Northern Ireland players were good enough. Think Motherwell is about his level now. Motherwell under 12s girls would be Stans level

superfrank
20/06/2009, 8:15 PM
Sanchez has bags more experience and success then Staunton, it should be a no-brainer for them.

Colbert Report
20/06/2009, 8:18 PM
"Should be". Somehow I think they'll get Stan for a whole lot less money than Sanchez.

Dodge
20/06/2009, 8:22 PM
has to go to the man with LOI managerial experience ;)

Pauro 76
20/06/2009, 8:47 PM
I'm the gaffer, the buck stops with me!

Lionel Ritchie
20/06/2009, 9:43 PM
"Should be". Somehow I think they'll get Stan for a whole lot less money than Sanchez.

Unless Stan quotes previous 'scale' where he was on three times what Sanchez was getting when they were both in international managemnent. :D

Infadel
21/06/2009, 9:57 AM
But Stan has the four year plan going for him

lowroadrover
21/06/2009, 1:41 PM
Has anyone given them Sean Connor's number ???;)

shep
22/06/2009, 9:45 AM
Roddy probably got "one of those calls" about it and turned it down:D

peadar1987
22/06/2009, 7:39 PM
I can't believe some people on here. Steve Staunton was a terrific player for his country, who turned out to be a less than fantastic manager in his first managerial job. If any of you took over the Irish team tomorrow I guarantee you your performances would be far worse than his. Just because Eamonn f%*&ing Dunphy doesn't agree with your team selection doesn't make you the antichrist, he was just a man put into a high-presure job he wasn't ready for at that stage of his career.

He has been working as a coach with experienced managers since losing the Ireland job, and if he feels he is ready for another crack at management, then good luck to him. A true Irish legend, who never gave less than 100% to the team.

Dodge
22/06/2009, 7:42 PM
If any of you took over the Irish team tomorrow I guarantee you your performances would be far worse than his.

What kind of bull**** argument is that? You've never criticised anyone, ever?

You don't need to be a comedian to get jokes, you don't need to be a chef to know food, and you don't need to be a football manager to know when someone isn't cut out for it either

Jicked
22/06/2009, 8:37 PM
I can't believe some people on here. Steve Staunton was a terrific player for his country, who turned out to be a less than fantastic manager in his first managerial job. If any of you took over the Irish team tomorrow I guarantee you your performances would be far worse than his. Just because Eamonn f%*&ing Dunphy doesn't agree with your team selection doesn't make you the antichrist, he was just a man put into a high-presure job he wasn't ready for at that stage of his career.

He has been working as a coach with experienced managers since losing the Ireland job, and if he feels he is ready for another crack at management, then good luck to him. A true Irish legend, who never gave less than 100% to the team.

He gave considerably less than 100% when in charge of the national team, and then refused to walk away when it was perfectly clear his position was untenable, leading to him being paid hundreds of thousands of euro that was taken out of the Irish game. Since then he has been indignant and unrepentant about his pathetic tenure as manager.

Also it wasn't that the job was too much pressure, or came too early in his career. The man is spectacularly unsuited for any sort of management, let alone international management. Aside from the fact he was tactically retarded, he never even gave it a go, picking some of the most hilariously bizarre XIs to ever wear the shirt, letting the media pick a team for him, alienating numerous players, and never bothering to prepare his teams properly.

(and before you say it, yes he had a legal right to the money after signing a four year deal that Delaney was stupid enough to give him, but if you want to talk about 'legend' status then his behaviour falls very far short of what I'd expect from a legend....)

youngirish
22/06/2009, 8:53 PM
He gave considerably less than 100% when in charge of the national team, and then refused to walk away when it was perfectly clear his position was untenable, leading to him being paid hundreds of thousands of euro that was taken out of the Irish game. Since then he has been indignant and unrepentant about his pathetic tenure as manager.

Also it wasn't that the job was too much pressure, or came too early in his career. The man is spectacularly unsuited for any sort of management, let alone international management. Aside from the fact he was tactically retarded, he never even gave it a go, picking some of the most hilariously bizarre XIs to ever wear the shirt, letting the media pick a team for him, alienating numerous players, and never bothering to prepare his teams properly.

(and before you say it, yes he had a legal right to the money after signing a four year deal that Delaney was stupid enough to give him, but if you want to talk about 'legend' status then his behaviour falls very far short of what I'd expect from a legend....)
Amen to that.

Noelys Guitar
22/06/2009, 10:30 PM

Giles" Christ if you turned that team sheet upside down it would make more sense"

Den Perry
23/06/2009, 9:49 AM

He also got the job because of his political manouvering and who he was friends with in the FAI. He made us a laughing stock and then hadn't the decency to walk as he waited for the compensation. Great servant indeed

newrynyuk
23/06/2009, 9:52 AM
I might have made this point elsewhere before, but yes, Stan was a legend as a player. A great servant for Ireland and fully deserves our respect for that. But his stint as manager has done all the damage. It wasn't just the results, but also his refusal to admit anything was wrong, lack of humility, his dismissiveness of the media, and not resigning when his time was clearly up. This, I fear, is what we now remember.

When you think of Bryan Robson or Graeme Souness. What immediately comes to mind? The great player or the rubbish manager? Same with Stan I'm afraid.

youngirish
23/06/2009, 10:34 AM
If any of you took over the Irish team tomorrow I guarantee you your performances would be far worse than his.
I beg to differ. You could pick people off the street at random to manage the Irish team and most would do a better job than Stan. I think you'd actually have to make an effort to try to ba**s it up as much as he did in the relatively short space of time he was in charge.

peadar1987
23/06/2009, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry but it really annoys me when people scoff at Staunton's time in charge. We turned out some very good performances against some top sides, and anyone starting out in a new job is going to make the odd mistake or ill-advised decision.

And I'd like to see anyone else here try to do a decent job at organising and motivating a temperemental group of people when almost literally the entire country is undermining your every move. After that game in Cyprus, Stan never had a chance, despite the fact that a large part of the reason we lost was down to individual mistakes from players you would normally expect not to make them. Staunton couldn't control that, but the media crucified him for it.

I think the Irish performances in the games against the Czechs, Germans and a very decent Slovakian side show that Staunton does have what it takes to be a good manager, when he gets more experience. I believe Staunton thought that as well, and the reason he didn't walk away from the job was because he thought he still had a lot to contribute to the international side, not because he was waiting for a payout as has been suggested.

And as for the allegations that there were dodgy dealings going on to get Staunton the job within the FAI, can you show me any proof of that?

youngirish
23/06/2009, 12:43 PM
And I'd like to see anyone else here try to do a decent job at organising and motivating a temperemental group of people when almost literally the entire country is undermining your every move. After that game in Cyprus, Stan never had a chance, despite the fact that a large part of the reason we lost was down to individual mistakes from players you would normally expect not to make them. Staunton couldn't control that, but the media crucified him for it.

I'd tend to agree with you but for one single fact you seem to have forgotten, before the Cyprus debacle and before the media got on Stan's back so to speak we had already had two shocking performances against the Dutch and the Chileans.

Den Perry
23/06/2009, 1:04 PM
I'm sorry but it really annoys me when people scoff at Staunton's time in charge. We turned out some very good performances against some top sides, and anyone starting out in a new job is going to make the odd mistake or ill-advised decision.

I think the Irish performances in the games against the Czechs, Germans and a very decent Slovakian side show that Staunton does have what it takes to be a good manager, when he gets more experience. I believe Staunton thought that as well, and the reason he didn't walk away from the job was because he thought he still had a lot to contribute to the international side, not because he was waiting for a payout as has been suggested.

And as for the allegations that there were dodgy dealings going on to get Staunton the job within the FAI, can you show me any proof of that?

The above has to be the most ridiculous post I've read on this site. In fact I am starting to believe that you are a wind up merchant as the post is so ridiculous

Razors left peg
23/06/2009, 1:05 PM
Cant believe anyone is still trying to defend Stauntons time in charge

Drumcondra 69er
23/06/2009, 2:54 PM

:eek:He was working with Gary McAllister at Leeds and was an utter disaster, the defence was non existent under his coaching and that's an area you'd hope he could manage at League One level.

Your last post on the thread is borderline madness to be frank.

Stan was a legend as a player and fair play to him for that but he is never management material in a million years. The players actually liked him and did want to play for him but tactically he was a clown and it's mostly down to him rather then them that the results were so bad. Have you forgotten the madness of left backs playing right back and vice versea?? And that was just the start of it, I could go on all day about elementary errors made during his tenure.

geysir
23/06/2009, 4:01 PM
It wasn't just the results, but also his refusal to admit anything was wrong, lack of humility, his dismissiveness of the media, and not resigning when his time was clearly up.

That's a - one size fits all comment - for the vast majority of managers who get sacked/forced resignation.

Results are 99.9%
All the experts would be queueing up to slate Trap for ditching Andy Reid, playing 2 shaky novices in a holding role at central midfield, playing Keogh out wide, persisting with McShane at RB, KK at LB, conceding the pitch to Cyprus at home, going all jelly like when a goal up, outplayed by Bulgaria at home,
IF we didn't get a result.
But it does reflect well on the manager when the results do come :)

ken foree
23/06/2009, 4:48 PM
Results are 99.9%
All the experts would be queueing up to slate Trap for ditching Andy Reid, playing 2 shaky novices in a holding role at central midfield, etc.
IF we didn't get a result.
But it does reflect well on the manager when the results do come :)

ding! well said. stan reminded me of bush. a lot.

Supreme feet
23/06/2009, 8:05 PM
In a big contrast with Staunton, the essential aspect of Trap's reign so far has been 'team-building', i.e. resisting the urge to make wholesale changes, not panicking, keeping faith with a preferred system, and replacing like-for-like in the event of an injury. That's the way to build a settled side, not just throwing players in on a whim and hoping they'll adapt (i.e. Alan O'Brien).

Staunton used 33 different players in 11 competitive games. He was apt to make several unforced changes from game to game, and move players into uncomfortable positions. That smacks of panic, indecision and short-sightedness. It didn't seem as if he trusted his own judgement. Also, his attitude to the media was deplorable, as he lacked the communication skills to explain his decisions. He strook me as a characterless, undignified and quite immature man for his age (albeit a decent footballer in his day). If he had a smidgen of Trapattoni's dignity, Charlton's honesty, or McCarthy's self-effacing humour, he might have fared better.

On the other hand, you can look back and see that the team was obviously in need of rebuilding, after the retirements of Roy Keane, Holland, Kavanagh, Breen and Cunningham. He wasn't helped by injuries to Steven Reid and Duff at important times either. It was clear that we needed an experienced manager to weather the storm. The FAI were obviously to blame, and deserved every criticism for the appointment. However, even Brian Kerr showed more common-sense and tactical aptitude in his tenure than Staunton, despite only having LoI and youth experience. So did Eoin Hand, in his time, with little or no experience.

Maybe Staunton has learned from his experiences, and maybe he'll surprise us in his future career. But I seriously doubt it.

The Legend
23/06/2009, 8:12 PM
The above has to be the most ridiculous post I've read on this site. In fact I am starting to believe that you are a wind up merchant as the post is so ridiculous

I think the term you were looking for to describe the post was "Comedy Gold"

Lionel Ritchie
24/06/2009, 8:23 AM
:eek:He was working with Gary McAllister at Leeds and was an utter disaster, the defence was non existent under his coaching and that's an area you'd hope he could manage at League One level.

Your last post on the thread is borderline madness to be frank.

Stan was a legend as a player and fair play to him for that but he is never management material in a million years. The players actually liked him and did want to play for him but tactically he was a clown and it's mostly down to him rather then them that the results were so bad. Have you forgotten the madness of left backs playing right back and vice versea?? And that was just the start of it, I could go on all day about elementary errors made during his tenure.

Inclined to agree.

There's a stat out there -I don't have it to hand I'm afraid, that shows Leeds average goals conceded per game rose pretty much from the day he arrived.

I'm a Leeds supporter and I really, really wanted it to work out for him. But it didn't. I wish him well and I hope he gets a gig somewhere he can learn his trade but if I'm being honest I think the board of Motherwell or any other SPL club would want to be dedicated, unreformable glue-sniffers to take a punt on him.

elroy
24/06/2009, 8:46 AM
I might have made this point elsewhere before, but yes, Stan was a legend as a player. A great servant for Ireland and fully deserves our respect for that. But his stint as manager has done all the damage. It wasn't just the results, but also his refusal to admit anything was wrong, lack of humility, his dismissiveness of the media, and not resigning when his time was clearly up. This, I fear, is what we now remember.

Nail on the head here. He really didnt help himself with his manner, particularly with his dealings in the media. The only post match interview where I think he admitted he may have not had tactics rights etc was after the Cyprus away game when his time was up. What used to wreck my head was his silly comments about the games against San Marino and also how he kept going on about the four year plan when everyone could clearly see the team was going backwards at an alarming rate.

ifk101
24/06/2009, 8:46 AM
Obviously he demands a high level of respect for what he achieved in the game as a player but, at the end of the day, Stan doesn't have the personality to be successful in management - it's as simple as that.

eaststand85
24/06/2009, 8:58 AM

As has already been pointed out this must be a wind up but if not then I have two words for you 'San Marino'.

prince20
24/06/2009, 9:36 AM
This post was about the Motherwell job and not about Steve Staunton as Irish manager. I think he has been dragged through enough mud at this stage and im asking for this thread to be locked. Think there has been enough said about Staunton over time.

youngirish
24/06/2009, 9:48 AM
This post was about the Motherwell job and not about Steve Staunton as Irish manager. I think he has been dragged through enough mud at this stage and im asking for this thread to be locked. Think there has been enough said about Staunton over time.

Wrong it was about Steve Staunton's suitability (or lack thereof) for the vacant managerial position at Motherwell something that can't be discussed without mentioning how he fared in his single previous attempt (I use the word lightly) at managing (thanks for that John Delaney).

If it was solely about the Motherwell job it wouldn't be in the Ireland forum.

Den Perry
24/06/2009, 10:50 AM

Are you for real? dragged through enough mud? why all the sympathy for him?In fairness I don't think he'll be too bothered. After all he clung on to the Irish job long enough when he should have gone and I'm sure he was getting enough abuse then

As for asking for the thread to be closed? get a life

prince20
24/06/2009, 10:59 AM
Are you for real? dragged through enough mud? why all the sympathy for him?In fairness I don't think he'll be too bothered. After all he clung on to the Irish job long enough when he should have gone and I'm sure he was getting enough abuse then

As for asking for the thread to be closed? get a life

Believe me i have a life. Not so sure about you.:eek:

Whether you agree or disagreed with Stauntons tenure ITS OVER..yes read that again, ITS OVER..move on lads, Trappatoni is now our manager:D

And furthermore its not sympathy I have for him. I wouldnt have been his greatest fan as a player and most definitely not when he was manager.

Drumcondra 69er
24/06/2009, 1:21 PM
Believe me i have a life. Not so sure about you.:eek:

Whether you agree or disagreed with Stauntons tenure ITS OVER..yes read that again, ITS OVER..move on lads, Trappatoni is now our manager:D

And furthermore its not sympathy I have for him. I wouldnt have been his greatest fan as a player and most definitely not when he was manager.

Why post on a thread about him so and request for it to be locked?

prince20
24/06/2009, 1:36 PM
Why post on a thread about him so and request for it to be locked?

Because everything that is been said now has been said already. Move on.

Drumcondra 69er
24/06/2009, 2:00 PM
Because everything that is been said now has been said already. Move on.

It's a message board ffs, people can discuss his history when talking about his suitability for a new job.

If you don't like it ignore it, it's not rocket science.

amaccann
24/06/2009, 2:12 PM
Well considering that Staunton only managerial role to date has been the Ireland one, it's kind of difficult to discuss his suitability for the Motherwell job without talking about his previous experience.

It's certainly a poor reflection of Scottish football that Staunton's in the running mind you.

dahamsta
24/06/2009, 5:08 PM
Two points:

We don't close threads just because "it's over" or someone doesn't like the content. If you think it's over or you don't like the content, don't read the thread.
Posting in the thread is not a request anyway. Foot.ie gets 500+ posts a day, we don't see them all. That's what Report This Post (http://foot.ie/forums/faq.php?faq=faq#faq_report) is for, if someone is breaking the rules.

Back on topic now. Any more bitching and whining will be dealt with as trolling and thread spoiling.

adam

jbyrne
25/06/2009, 9:58 AM
his dismissiveness of the media

who cares about this and why does it matter?

Scooby1983
25/06/2009, 10:01 AM
I think Motherwell would be too big a job for Stan. That didnt stop the FAI from giving him their top job so who knows?

DeLorean
25/06/2009, 10:40 AM
who cares about this and why does it matter?

I know what you're saying, I was never too concerned about the media's feelings. I think it was just when the likes of Tony O'Donoghue was asking him stuff, that the whole country wanted to know, and we got no explanations it was quite frustrating.

peadar1987
26/06/2009, 2:42 PM

I'm not a WUM and I stand by what I said. I never said that Staunton's reign was a roaring success, far from it. I said he showed enough flashes of promise during his time in a job that wasn't made easy for him to make me think he could succeed as a manager given enough experience. If you think that's an unreasonable position to hold, fair enough, but don't call my credibility into question just because you don't share my views.

Jicked
26/06/2009, 2:56 PM
Out of interest, what were these 'flashes of promise' you talk of?

I can think of a 1-1 draw at home to an average Czech side, only after he let the media pick his team for him, retired two players in a knee-jerk reaction to our most humiliating defeat of all time a few days earlier and then the players, so stunned by their mauling at the hands of Cyprus, pulled together and hung on for a draw despite not having much of a gameplan and got by on their collective spirit after having their pride so hurt.

Then there was a dull 0-0 home draw with a German side who had nothing to play for and didn't break out of a jog the entire game.

Now compare those to the list of stuff against Staunton and it's pretty obvious the guy should be looking for a new line of work. I saw in the papers that he's now working as a scout for Wolves....that's the only way I could imagine him getting a job anywhere, through the kindness of friends he has already made in the game as a player (Delaney, McCallister and now McCarthy).

Den Perry
26/06/2009, 3:11 PM
I'm not a WUM and I stand by what I said. I never said that Staunton's reign was a roaring success, far from it. I said he showed enough flashes of promise during his time in a job that wasn't made easy for him to make me think he could succeed as a manager given enough experience. If you think that's an unreasonable position to hold, fair enough, but don't call my credibility into question just because you don't share my views.

When somebody comes out with such observations I think one is entitled to question their credibility

DeLorean
26/06/2009, 3:12 PM
Ya I'd agree with all of that. If there was no manager over the Irish team they could get the occasional result that didn't borderline a digrace. These are not flashes of promise and it was obvious even at the time that they were more by accident than design.

Stuttgart88
27/06/2009, 6:54 AM
In fairness to Brendan, I'd have thought a 4-0 win in Denmark would count as a flash of promise. The 3-0 home win over Sweden too.

Still, the 3-0 win in Finland in '02 with the likes of Barrett, Healy and Goodwin playing was also very much a flash of promise. Little did any of us know how bad things would subsequently get.