PDA

View Full Version : Positives from Dundalk game

Hitman
19/06/2009, 9:25 PM
1. Colin Healy's quite good.
2. Joe Gamble will soon be back to see the ball being launched over his head time after time.
3. Whatever jackeen manager is foisted upon us next time can't possibly be as clueless as Doonil... even if it's Roddy.
4. We've the makings of a decent 5-a-side team. All left on the bench.
5. Erm...

Joseph McSweene
20/06/2009, 12:05 AM
1. Colin Healy's quite good.
2. Joe Gamble will soon be back to see the ball being launched over his head time after time.
3. Whatever jackeen manager is foisted upon us next time can't possibly be as clueless as Doonil... even if it's Roddy.
4. We've the makings of a decent 5-a-side team. All left on the bench.
5. Erm...

1/ A midfield of O'Donnel, Healy and Joey is quite a mouth-water-prospect.....
2/...as long as they ignore Doolin's "we need to be more defensive" Bull and start pressing and harressing teams from the get-go. If we'd started like we played the 2nd half, Dundalk would have probably lost heavily....
3/ Denis is having his best season in ages-holding up the ball well, looking to bring people into play, unsettling centre-halfs, chipping in with a decent amount of goals. He's matured.
4/Danny Murphy, Patrick Sullivan and both quite good as full-backs. Especially going forward and their tackling. Positioning they can sometimes be caught out.....
5/Dan Murray is still Dan Murray.
6/I feel more "wide" players like Davin and Billy could add a different dimension and restart our season.
7/Thank god we've two weeks off......

Negatives
1/Killer to play centre-half in our next game? Kevin Long? Just not Greg please....
2/Doolin's tactics are stifling us-we have a strong defense and midfield but we are not a defensive team. We NEED to press people and force games. If we sit back and defend, errors creep into our play.
3/Guntars cannot play as a lone-striker. He cannot play as a right winger. As the second of a 2 man strike-force he's decent enough though-we should stick with that-even if it means playing a back-three or something, just not up top on his own.....
4/Dan Connor didn't look too confident going into the season-well we don't like him, he's not a nice person and his antics on the pitch in recent seasons are something he should carry around his neck for the rest of his career-and, despite playing quite well the past few weeks-his head is starting to drop a bit after a number of errors. We could do with Nults coming in for a few games....
5/Doolin as lacking sense in his tacitical decisions, must be questioned for playing people like Timmy Kiely and Alano in the manner he has done in both Sligo and tonight, both players have gotten very little gametime but are now expected to settle immediately into the side-if they'd been given more of a chance in games where we were drawing or winning and allowed to adapt to our system in a game scenario, then I feel harsh critism could be levelled against them. Starting both tonight and changing around two of your three strikers smacks of desperation......
6/ That first half felt like Mounty's last game....

tiktok
20/06/2009, 2:36 PM
Doonil

Ha, if that was intentional, brilliant

Hitman
21/06/2009, 2:57 PM
Ha, if that was intentional, brilliant

Intentional, but the credit has to go elsewhere I'm afraid.

http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1095704&postcount=27

pete
21/06/2009, 7:29 PM
/Guntars cannot play.

Too true.

I can't believe I avoided the result at work & watched full recording of that match afterwards. :(

There were no positives from that match.

razor
21/06/2009, 8:26 PM
4/Danny Murphy, Patrick Sullivan and both quite good as full-backs. Especially going forward and their tackling. Positioning they can sometimes be caught out.....Not sure about this both are excellent going forward but Sullivan was exposed badly against Sligo last week, he looked good in the 2nd half the other night because he didn't have to defend, i'd move him onto the right side of midfield and re-instate Hoggie.
Kiely was gutless the other night, O'Connor was clueless.
We were a complete shambles, Connor should have been dragged at HT (we didn't need a keeper in the 2nd half)

Joseph McSweene
22/06/2009, 12:16 PM
Not sure about this both are excellent going forward but Sullivan was exposed badly against Sligo last week, he looked good in the 2nd half the other night because he didn't have to defend, i'd move him onto the right side of midfield and re-instate Hoggie.
Kiely was gutless the other night, O'Connor was clueless.
We were a complete shambles, Connor should have been dragged at HT (we didn't need a keeper in the 2nd half)

Well, that's true enough. Hoggy should be playing ahead of him, I think the real problem is the lack of understanding between Pat Sul and Greg, they have zero of a partnership between them-Greg refuses to cover for Pat Sul and vice-versa. He played very well defensively earlier on in the season, but as my brother pointed out to me the other, maybe that was due to Colin Healy (our best player at the end of the day, probably in the league as a whole in fact) playing on the right of our three man midfield....It's tough to look bad if Colin is covering every blade of grass in front of you:o

Kiely is having way too much expectation and pressure put on him too young-we are so bad at bringing young players through these days it's not funny:(

Connor is still probably the best keeper at the club though-no disrespect to Nults but I've never seen Dan Murray trust him when they play together but they do seem to trust Connor a bit more. He's making some mistakes at the moment though and his confidence has to be pretty low. To be fair to Dan, some of the saves he made in the past few months have earned us points (that save against Derry springs to mind-a great stop) but he's undoing that with these recent mistakes.

Football Alien
23/06/2009, 4:16 PM
Whats the feeling of Cork fans for young Shane Duggan, i didnt see what he got sent off for at the weekend, was it deserved?

Joseph McSweene
23/06/2009, 8:38 PM
Whats the feeling of Cork fans for young Shane Duggan, i didnt see what he got sent off for at the weekend, was it deserved?

He's a good player-completely tapped though!:D Plays a bit like a very young Joey Gamble-puts in a lot of running, very determined in the challenge but his discipline is a bit lacking. He should be our fourth choice midfielder and that's no disrespect to him-just that Healy, O'Donnel and Gamble are very good-but he looks a good prospect.

Sending off was deserved to be fair-dived into a challenge and then threw the ball. Stupid, but overall probably forgiveable in the long run.