View Full Version : North Korea qualify for World Cup

MariborKev
18/06/2009, 1:12 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090617/wl_asia_afp/fblwc2010asiaksaprk

Cat amongst the pigeons......

Red&White Rover
18/06/2009, 1:16 AM
Certainly makes things interesting.

They invented the beautfiul game though. That's what Kim told me anyway.

Pauro 76
18/06/2009, 7:42 AM
I'd actually like to see them play South Korea or USA in the World Cup. They say politics and sport don't mix, but the USA v Iran World Cup game in 98 turned out ok didnt it? Plus sport brings people together, amongst other cliches.

gspain
18/06/2009, 8:08 AM
I watched the last 15 minutes on the net with a Saudi commentator. The Koreans were hanging on but their joy at the end was great.

They can't play South Korea unless they both get through to later rounds which is highly unlikely.

They could easily draw the U.S. which would be brilliant. :D Nice group if we made it would be South Africa, ourselves NK and the states.

BTW if we miss out on qualification can I predict a series of newspaper reports in February/March saying North Korea may be excluded over something or other and we'd get their place. They'll be completely without foundation but will sell papers.

gspain
18/06/2009, 8:36 AM
Actually here is the story if we don't qualify and NI don't either.

There are moves afoot for the Koreans to enter one team in the World Cup as a gesture of solidarity. As an exclusive the ***** has learned that the extra world cup place will then be offered to a United Ireland team with the FAI and IFA agreeing to send one team.

What odds somebody makes up this story in early 2010 if we don't qualify?

Macy
18/06/2009, 8:46 AM
I'd say some of the hacks that come on here to get stories have already bookmarked you post... "Sources have said..."

tetsujin1979
18/06/2009, 8:57 AM
Will any other games besides their own be shown in North Korea?

pineapple stu
18/06/2009, 9:04 AM
Would they stand for the South Korean anthem if they met? I think all games between the two in qualifying had to be in neutral venues as neither will fly the other's flag or play their anthem, which are FIFA requirements.

MariborKev
18/06/2009, 9:11 AM
Get your applications in a TST for the North Koreans, as they will have zero fans there.

osarusan
18/06/2009, 9:36 AM
Get your applications in a TST for the North Koreans, as they will have zero fans there.
I doubt that, I'd say they will have fans there, made up of elites and their families.

Pauro 76
18/06/2009, 9:51 AM
http://shop.subsidesports.com/uk/a-72057594037949982/North+Korea+Shirt-Jersey+2008-2009

Now available to buy.. Not sure they'll be a team for the neutrals though, unlike their neighbours in 2002.

pete
18/06/2009, 9:55 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090617/wl_asia_afp/fblwc2010asiaksaprk

Cat amongst the pigeons......

The players literally get to live another day.

I suppose in North Korea at least they will win the World Cup now. With no access to the rest of the world no one inside there will know any better anyway.

The winner of the final play-off between Bahrain or Saudi Arabia and New Zealand will then qualify for the World Cup.

Looks like another quality side will qualify soon...

shakermaker1982
19/06/2009, 8:59 PM
good on em!

Dodge
20/06/2009, 10:05 AM
Looks like another quality side will quality soon...

yeah, which will stop a quality side like us, the North or Scotland :rolleyes:

The bigger the spread of countries as far as I'm concerned

Closed Account 2
23/06/2009, 1:12 PM
They're a good team, and I wouldnt want us to face them. They're very testing and experts at explosive finishing. They have improved their shooting of late, and I can see them breaching opposition defences with strikes from long range.

boovidge
23/06/2009, 2:14 PM
There are a few NK exiles in Japan, China and South Korea that could make the trip. Numbers must only be in the dozens though.

North Korea vs USA or England. Great group potential. :)

pete
23/06/2009, 2:33 PM
The bigger the spread of countries as far as I'm concerned

I agree but Oceania should be merged into Asia. Oceania only have something like 9 or 10 Nations anyway.

Closed Account 2
23/06/2009, 2:35 PM
Would they stand for the South Korean anthem if they met? I think all games between the two in qualifying had to be in neutral venues as neither will fly the other's flag or play their anthem, which are FIFA requirements.

Pretty sure it was just the "home" North Korean matches that were switched to China. I think they played each other in sucessive rounds of qualification (so have in effect played each other 4 times) and the two ones normally in Pyonyang were switched to China due to NK not wanting to play the SK anthem or display the SK flag. Not 100% sure on this but think that's what happened.

Dodge
23/06/2009, 2:40 PM
I agree but Oceania should be merged into Asia. Oceania only have something like 9 or 10 Nations anyway.

True, but they don't get their own place anyway