PDA

View Full Version : Confederations Cup 2009

Pages : [1] 2

superfrank
13/06/2009, 3:57 PM
Well, the mini-World Cup is starting again tomorrow. AFAIK, all the matches are live on RTÉ. The teams this year are: South Africa, Iraq, New Zealand & Spain in Group A and Brazil, Egypt, USA & Italy in Group B.

I'm backing Spain for this one.

Mr Maroon
13/06/2009, 7:12 PM
Spain should walk Group A.

Lionel Ritchie
14/06/2009, 6:59 PM
24 minutes in and Spain are four nil up. Even aside from their playing the reigning European champions -NZ look very, very poor and it looks like some of their lads would struggle to get into a San Marino/Liectenstein/Faroes calibre European national side.

Metrostars
15/06/2009, 2:18 AM
Dress rehearsal for the WC in South Africa next year. I watched bits of both games. A few observations, with the WC in mind:
- Not used to the WC being played in "Winter": sun setting in the afternoon, cooler temperatures etc.
- The pitch got a cut up a bit especially the first game.
- Horns. Loud and annoying. Sounded like a bee hive, constant droning.

endabob1
15/06/2009, 7:01 AM
The pitch was used for the Lions game the week before which didn't help, 6 tonnes of sand was used to try and firm it up, I can't see them making the same mistake next year.
NZ looked like a pub team, but they put 3 past Italy in a friendly during the week (admitedly the also let in 4)
They draw was rigged to give SA the best possible chance of progression and even so they still couldn't beat Iraq!!

DeLorean
15/06/2009, 10:17 AM
Horns. Loud and annoying. Sounded like a bee hive, constant droning.

Ya annoying enough alright.

They draw was rigged to give SA the best possible chance of progression

Are you basing this on the fact that they're in by far the weaker group or is there anything else?

Torres goals were class in fairness. The second one was a class finish, didn't have much room for once. Should have been about 9-0 really. There were 4 wrong offside decisions in the second half when players were clean through (Torres twice and Villa). Also I think it was Silva who was blown for the last one when he was 6 or 7 yards onside.

Italy and USA could be interesting enough tonight. I remember the US being really dirty when they met at the last WC.

gaiscíoch
15/06/2009, 11:31 AM
- Horns. Loud and annoying. Sounded like a bee hive, constant droning.

Tried to watch the Spain game last night. The bloody horns would drive you mental.
It's a crap atmosphere in my opinion. (Prefer the crowd shouting, singing songs etc i.e actually watching the game)
I hated all the shots of the crowd dancing around half of it looked like it was one big publicity stunt.

Metrostars
15/06/2009, 12:36 PM

Are you basing this on the fact that they're in by far the weaker group or is there anything else?

Torres goals were class in fairness. The second one was a class finish, didn't have much room for once. Should have been about 9-0 really. There were 4 wrong offside decisions in the second half when players were clean through (Torres twice and Villa). Also I think it was Silva who was blown for the last one when he was 6 or 7 yards onside.

Italy and USA could be interesting enough tonight. I remember the US being really dirty when they met at the last WC.
USA had Pope and Mastroeni sent off and De Rossi for Italy for that head butt to McBride.

The US are like very much like us, some decent players but very deficient in other areas. Adu is in the squad and will probably be used as a sub in some games. Look out for Jozy Altidore, he used to play for Metrostars/Red Bulls, still young but a good player.

That being said, I can't see anything but an Italy win unless they start slowly as they are notoriously known for in tournaments.

endabob1
15/06/2009, 1:09 PM

They're called vuvuzela's & they are blown at every opportunity it creates a mental noise in a stadium, but it does your nut in after about 4 nano-seconds, mental note pack nurofen & lots of it for games.
http://www.southafrica.info/2010/vuvuzela.htm

DeLorean I'm not really basing it on any facts but there was an off the cuff remark by a member of FIFA regarding how kind they had been to the hosts with the draw. That said the make up of the draw meant that SA would avoid 2 from Italy, Brazil & Spain.

superfrank
15/06/2009, 1:15 PM
They always do that with the draws, the host country is assigned a first group seeding.

DeLorean
15/06/2009, 1:39 PM
DeLorean I'm not really basing it on any facts but there was an off the cuff remark by a member of FIFA regarding how kind they had been to the hosts with the draw. That said the make up of the draw meant that SA would avoid 2 from Italy, Brazil & Spain.

Fair enough, just wondering. It'll be well worth topping Group B anyway for an easy passage to the Final.

holidaysong
15/06/2009, 2:11 PM
Brazil 2-1 Egypt after 11 minutes..

pineapple stu
15/06/2009, 2:45 PM
They're called vuvuzela's & they are blown at every opportunity it creates a mental noise in a stadium, but it does your nut in after about 4 nano-seconds, mental note pack nurofen & lots of it for games.
Whoever wrote that article should be shot.

holidaysong
15/06/2009, 3:14 PM
Egypt have just scored twice in a minute to make it 3-3.

superfrank
15/06/2009, 5:08 PM
Wow. Brazil got out of jail in that one. It was a pretty cracking game.

Mr A
15/06/2009, 7:03 PM
Watched about 4 minutes of USA Italy there. Got so sick of the noise I just switched it off.

cheifo
15/06/2009, 9:58 PM
Goodness Mr A Thought the Wall of sound at FP would have prepared your ear drums for anything.

endabob1
17/06/2009, 9:20 AM
Very dodgy red card in the Italy game, the US were in charge up to that point

Metrostars
17/06/2009, 1:33 PM
Very dodgy red card in the Italy game, the US were in charge up to that point

True, but if you don't take the chances like the US had in the first half against good teams like Italy, it will come back to haunt you. Wasn't a red card and the US had a few other decisions go against them. But they fell apart in the second half when Rossi came on.

Speaking of Rossi, a lot of soccer fans are fuming in the US over him especially in the way he celebrated. Not a muted celebration like Klose/Podolski when they scored against Poland.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/06/hating-rossi.html

drummerboy
17/06/2009, 2:38 PM
This tournamen has produced some good games this time around. Just watching the Spain game at the moment and they seem to be taking it pretty seriously.

ifk101
17/06/2009, 3:08 PM
Doesn't look like Spain is going to score.

Edit: 1-0 Spain :D

centre mid
18/06/2009, 8:25 PM
Really poor performance from the Italians against Egypt. Very one dimensional.

Infadel
21/06/2009, 6:19 PM
Important game tonight Italy and they've changed their line-up bringing in Montolivo and Dossena. Lippi must realise that some of his players are past it been first choice starters for Italy and is trying to bring in more legs to the team.

brianw82
21/06/2009, 7:18 PM
Brazil ran riot in the last 15 minutes of the first half. 3-0 at ht. Fully deserved.

superfrank
21/06/2009, 8:23 PM
Congrats to the States. Well done to them. Italy have been pretty poor in this one. Looks good for September.

Infadel
21/06/2009, 9:21 PM
Italy very poor and don't really have much other options to call upon apart from Aquilani,Zaccardo and Barzagli. But fair play to the States it must be said they went out and played good football and you can't fault them for effort.

strangeirish
21/06/2009, 9:26 PM
Italy very poor and don't really have much other options to call upon apart from Aquilani,Zaccardo and Barzagli. But fair play to the States it must be said they went out and played good football and you can't fault them for effort. Watched the US game and they played very well. Could have had more if it weren't for the Egyptian keeper. The Bradley kid looks like a good player.

Mayo Red
22/06/2009, 8:12 AM

Watching these matches sounds like someone's poked a beehive with a big stick!! If this is what we have to look forward to at next years World Cup it's going to be a long tournament, still they might drown out George Hamiltons voice maybe!! It'd be a nice problem for Traps Army to have though, hopefully!!:)

Tipp Top
23/06/2009, 11:51 PM
Brasil V Spain would have the making of a cracking final both these sides will go along way in next years world cup

Stuttgart88
24/06/2009, 8:24 PM
USA win 2-0.

Another surprise result to add to the list you can cite to those who reduce to zero Ireland's chances any time we play a decent team! Stuff just happens in football sometimes.

Still, anyone who saw Spain in Turkey in the current WC campaign will have seen that they're beatable. Is Villa really as good as people say he is? I haven't seen enough of him to really say.

strangeirish
24/06/2009, 8:24 PM
Spain 0-2 USA:D

Fair play to the Americans, they ran their socks off and frustrated Spain all night. Good goal keeping and dogged defending by the US. Roll on Brazil...:D

Noelys Guitar
24/06/2009, 8:33 PM
Great win for the US. I thought Donavan had an excellent game. Did anyone else spot the guy in the crowd with the Shamrock Rovers shirt on? Right in the middle of the African fans bouncing up and down. Great Stuff.

Infadel
24/06/2009, 8:45 PM
Shocking win today but fully deserved for USA they were well organised and were willing to attack Spain. Donovan really covered the pitch and was my man of the match real shame that young Bradley will miss the final he looks a promising player.

old git
24/06/2009, 9:34 PM
Shocking win today but fully deserved for USA they were well organised and were willing to attack Spain. Donovan really covered the pitch and was my man of the match real shame that young Bradley will miss the final he looks a promising player.

excellent game by donovan and 2 centre halfs were outstanding against so cALLED 2 best cente forwards in the world torres / villa
bradley very unlucky as tackle was a yellow card at worst.. usa deserved win all over the pitch they worked 110 % and had ago at spain when chances appeared just shows you what can happen when you have 11 players willing to bust their b*lls for 90 mins :ball:

Crosby87
24/06/2009, 9:59 PM
WOW I cant believe the US won today and they got outshot by a ton.
Maybe I will try to get to a RedBulls game. Nahhh..........

superfrank
24/06/2009, 10:15 PM
Only caught the first half an hour and I was impressed by the States. They seemed to get at Spain right from the go and weren't afraid at all. It was cracking goal by Altidore. It was great work by him to create the chance, might not have been the best shot but it was strong enough.

Metrostars
25/06/2009, 2:56 AM
Pleased about the US win today. 3 ex Metrostars there too, Howard, Bradley and Altidore. Also big Bradley the coach even though we called him clueless Bob all during his last season in charge of the Metros.

It's interesting looking at these stats:
http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/statistics/players/distanceandspeed.html
showing the amount of running done by Bradley, Donovan and Dempsey.

irishultra
25/06/2009, 7:11 AM
I think the USA midfield is very average but Dempsey, Donovan and Altidore is a great front three, I mean Donovan was with Bayern at the end of last season, Altidore is with Villarreal and well Dempsey is with Fulham but they are a good enough team and he's seriously underrated.

Can't believe Spain tho:eek:

Xavi was terrible, losing the ball whenever he looked forward really, and god I hate that Riera guy. I mean he is nowhere near good enough for Spain. I mean I'm no Silva fan either but he's better than that Riera chap.

SA vs USA final?

endabob1
25/06/2009, 7:30 AM
Great win for the US. I thought Donavan had an excellent game. Did anyone else spot the guy in the crowd with the Shamrock Rovers shirt on? Right in the middle of the African fans bouncing up and down. Great Stuff.

You sure it was a rovers shirt and not a Bloem Celtic shirt

http://www.reebokstore.co.za/images/320X240/MBC01070s07-100.jpg

geysir
26/06/2009, 10:58 AM
That young South African goalie is excellent. George referred a number of times in commentary to the world class César, I wonder where does that leave Khune in the scheme of things.

DeLorean
26/06/2009, 11:18 AM
That young South African goalie is excellent. George referred a number of times in commentary to the world class César, I wonder where does that leave Khune in the scheme of things.

Ray Houghton blamed the keeper for the free kick. Madness. If that was his fault then you just can't score a great free kick from that position into that side of the goal. It was perfect.

endabob1
26/06/2009, 11:30 AM
Is he mental, in off the post having taken a slight deflection htf is he supposed to keep that out, any closer and he would have stopped it, any further right it hits the post & stays out.

superfrank
26/06/2009, 11:33 AM
Well, Houghton wasn't a keeper so I doubt he knows much about the position.

It was a cracking free, it was about the only decent thing in the whole game.

Noelys Guitar
26/06/2009, 12:04 PM
You sure it was a rovers shirt and not a Bloem Celtic shirt

http://www.reebokstore.co.za/images/320X240/MBC01070s07-100.jpg

I thought that at first it must be SA league team jersey. Then they showed the guy again near the end of the match and the Jersey definetely had Woodies on it.

Schumi
26/06/2009, 12:36 PM
Is he mental, in off the post having taken a slight deflection htf is he supposed to keep that out, any closer and he would have stopped it, any further right it hits the post & stays out.

If he'd stood nearer the post, he would have saved it.

endabob1
26/06/2009, 12:43 PM
If he'd stood nearer the post, he would have saved it.

Indeed, if he only stood exactly at the post then he'd have been fine, Alves never would have thought ot clip it over the wall into the other spare 7 yards of space ;)

I thought that at first it must be SA league team jersey. Then they showed the guy again near the end of the match and the Jersey definetely had Woodies on it.

Just checking, they're pretty much identical apart form the sponsor, those rovers boys get around, must have got on the wrong Luas

DeLorean
26/06/2009, 12:50 PM
Indeed, if he only stood exactly at the post then he'd have been fine, Alves never would have thought ot clip it over the wall into the other spare 7 yards of space

Exactly. And that type off free kick is much more common from that position I think.

Schumi
26/06/2009, 12:51 PM
Indeed, if he only stood exactly at the post then he'd have been fine, Alves never would have thought ot clip it over the wall into the other spare 7 yards of space ;)Yes, nearer the post = at the post.

He was standing behind the wall too so couldn't react in time, what's the point in having a wall if you're going to cover the same part of the goal?

endabob1
26/06/2009, 12:56 PM
Think you're being unduly harsh Schumi, had he been further to his left he would have left a massive gap behind the wall where a little clip would have sailed in. The free kick was right on the edge of the box so he had to try to cover both avenues, 2 Brazilians plus Pienaar as the blocker didn't help him getting a line of sight at the ball & a small deflection from Pienaar wouldn't have helped either, not many would have kept it out that's for sure

Schumi
26/06/2009, 1:13 PM
It'd be hard to get it up and down from that close in though without giving the goalie time to get over to it.

Class free kick either way though.