PDA

View Full Version : Giovanni Interview - Italian

Deckydee
13/06/2009, 7:33 AM
Hi

Was rummaging around on the internet and I found this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lnTVnWJ7Iw

As someone who has to communicate a lot in anonther language sometimes you cannot say what you always think or feel. I would BE VERY interested in anyone out there can speak Italian or knows someone who can who could give a summary of what Giovanni says in this interview. Its bound be different to what he says to RTE

Gracie Mile! :D

Deckydee
13/06/2009, 12:20 PM
This was meant for the fans forum. Can it be transferred please

Lionel Ritchie
14/06/2009, 8:38 AM
I would BE VERY interested in anyone out there can speak Italian or knows someone who can who could give a summary of what Giovanni says in this interview. Its bound be different to what he says to RTE

Gracie Mile! :D Word for word....

It is important that are not all player attack attack attack. There must balance. I tell them belief. Belief yourself and big heart. But balance.
From last time I have Darron Whelan, Andrews, Gibson too are strong. Now I will have Caleb Folan. So from this I am happy. Thank you.

Jicked
05/07/2009, 2:14 AM
Just saw this recently...don't know if anyone is still interested in what he had to say but basically it's nothing groundbreaking and Italian post-match interviews are very similar and as tame as ours! to summarise...

The interview is from right after the game, and first off he's asked was he dissapointed that Ireland didn't win the game considering how we were pressing at the end. Trap says that the most important thing was that at the end of the game we were still able to be ahead of Bulgaria. Basically he conceded first place to Italy and says we had to make sure we finished ahead of Bulgaria, and by drawing the game we helped that a lot. Of course with the attacks at the end we could have won it and he was very happy with our finish, but Italy is famous for their defence, and he praised the likes of Cannavaro, calling Italians the best defenders in the world. In those circumstances, well you settle for a point away to the world champions, even though we could have won the game!

Re: the red card, he basically concedes the referee got it wrong. He says it wasnt a foul, that Pazzini jumped with his arms out but never intended to hurt O'Shea and he thought the referee reacted simply because of the blood on O'Shea's face. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect from an Irish manager commentating on an Irish player (basically "he's a good lad he didn't mean it"). When asked did this help ireland get a point, Trap says perhaps, but in another way not so much. Again, Italy have the best defenders in the world and this way they were able to rely on them more, or as most people on here and in Ireland recognised, that it meant the Italians had an excuse to strangle the game which made it even harder for Ireland to score than if Italy had have come out and pllayed a bit more.

The rest is pretty tame stuff. He is asked how he felt when the anthems are played. He says he was emotional when the Italian one was played but knew he had to contain his emotions, even if it was his anthem he knew he was working for Ireland and that day he was hoping for Ireland to win. He says he was just as emotional when the Irish anthem was played as it is his team and his country, but since the words are in 'Gaelic' he doesn't know them (he's no Kevin Kilbane!) and so it is not as poignant as the Italian anthem for him even though he does feel emotions when it is played.

Sadly there were no questions about what medication Stephen Ireland is on, how the f**k Trap communicates to Stephen Hunt or how many caps Glenn Whelan & Paul McShane would have had for Italy. Nor was he asked to reveal what he intends to replace the Harry Ramsden challenge with (I'd imagine some sort of sea bass with risotto)