PDA

View Full Version : Cyprus away (5th September 2009) - places

stiofain
03/01/2008, 4:48 PM
Mod edit - 'scuse me...

Post any info on towns, places, resorts, etc in Cyprus here. I'll keep a summary of links and what have you in this post.

For other info on the game, see -

Flights (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=119324)
Accommodation (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=119323) (hotels to campsites)
Charter travel (incl tour operator bookings, charter buses, taxis, etc) (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=119325)
The game (match tickets, kick off time, directions to the ground, etc) (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=119327)
Pubs (incl meet ups) (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=119332)
General (things to do, other chat) (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=119331)

Were were we?

Did anyone stay in Nicosia itself at any of the recent games? I went in 2006 but made a complete balls of booking it after succumbing to the hot girl in Thomas Cook and signing up for a week in Paphos despite having done no research whatsoever about the place. As good a deal as it was, I was fecking miles away from Nicosia for the game and ended up spending a fortune on taxis.
I'll be back for this game but i'll want to stay somewhere thats convient for the stadium (or at least the edge of its surrounding desert) and has a bit of culture etc about it, as opposed to just bars and nightclubs. Any ideas?

supasparx
05/02/2008, 4:11 PM
Did anyone stay in Nicosia itself at any of the recent games? I went in 2006 but made a complete balls of booking it after succumbing to the hot girl in Thomas Cook and signing up for a week in Paphos despite having done no research whatsoever about the place. As good a deal as it was, I was fecking miles away from Nicosia for the game and ended up spending a fortune on taxis.
I'll be back for this game but i'll want to stay somewhere thats convient for the stadium (or at least the edge of its surrounding desert) and has a bit of culture etc about it, as opposed to just bars and nightclubs. Any ideas?

Wouldn't really advise staying in Nicosia, aside from a few old churches and the boarder posts there's not alot else to see. As it's the capital and situated inland all that's there are business' and designer shops.

My advice would be to stay in or around Larnaca. It's about 30 mins. drive from the stadium, on the coast, 20 mins. drive from traditional villages and about 45 mins. drive from the Troodos mountain range. Not to mention that this is where the main airport is.

The town itself doesn't offer too much but has a very large salt lake and nice seafront promenade.

Colie
05/02/2008, 5:52 PM
Arse to anywhere bar Aiya Napa. Some laugh, though won't be allowed stay in the same place again. All the bars put buses on for the match & you could pretty much just get on any of them. Has to be Aiya.

Greenforever
06/02/2008, 5:01 AM
Wouldn't really advise staying in Nicosia, aside from a few old churches and the boarder posts there's not alot else to see. As it's the capital and situated inland all that's there are business' and designer shops.

My advice would be to stay in or around Larnaca. It's about 30 mins. drive from the stadium, on the coast, 20 mins. drive from traditional villages and about 45 mins. drive from the Troodos mountain range. Not to mention that this is where the main airport is.

The town itself doesn't offer too much but has a very large salt lake and nice seafront promenade.

Do not stay in Laranaca...there is no life there, Limassol is the place to stay, best pub is The Step Inn open till about 5am, but check out the location of hotels, a lot of them are 4-5 miles from the heart of Limassol.

supasparx
06/02/2008, 10:53 PM
Do not stay in Laranaca...there is no life there, Limassol is the place to stay, best pub is The Step Inn open till about 5am, but check out the location of hotels, a lot of them are 4-5 miles from the heart of Limassol.

To answer Stiofain again, he mentioned wanting to stay somewhere convenient for ground, with some culture and not full of bars and nightclubs.

Having lived in Limassol for a couple of years, its not the kind of place to tick his boxes.

Having said that The Step Inn in Limassol, was a great bar, and it's where I watched all the World Cup games in '94.

stiofain
07/02/2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the advice lads, its much appreciated.

JT,New'09
11/06/2009, 9:54 AM
Hi ,
Im in the middle of booking flights for the cyprus game. As its my 1st trip to Cyrpus, can any of you tell me where to stay.
Does the majority of fans stay in Limasssol or Ayna Napa ??

Sligo Hornet
11/06/2009, 10:36 AM
JT if it's any help, there are quite a few of us staying in Larnaca......basically for "a change" from Ayia Napa/Limassol, and also because the game is scheduled to be played in Larnaca

Arriving in on the Thursday and leaving on Sunday

gspain
11/06/2009, 11:01 AM
Big crowd in Aya Napa in 05 (went down for one evening) but I felt very old. :D

Larnaca is a good option (stayed here last 2 trips in the same hotel although they upped the price big time in 06 and that after the result so checking in advance this time). Decent nightlife although nothing like Aya Napa (thankfully).

The game is likely to be in Larnaca but still not confirmed on the FIFA website.

I'm just doing a 24 hour trip in friday night and leave 00.30am sunday morning.

JT,New'09
11/06/2009, 11:05 AM
Big crowd in Aya Napa in 05 (went down for one evening) but I felt very old. :D

Larnaca is a good option (stayed here last 2 trips in the same hotel although they upped the price big time in 06 and that after the result so checking in advance this time). Decent nightlife although nothing like Aya Napa (thankfully).

The game is likely to be in Larnaca but still not confirmed on the FIFA website.

I'm just doing a 24 hour trip in friday night and leave 00.30am sunday morning.

Cheers thanks for your advise , :D

NeilMcD
11/06/2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah I am with the Hornets and Saint Tom and Babysis in Larnaca for this one I was in Aya Napa in 05 and not really my scene to be honest. But each to their own and some people much prefer Aya Napa. THe fact you can fly into Laranac, the game is likely to be there and hotel is right on the beach convinced me to go this trip.

finbarrk
11/06/2009, 6:24 PM
How far is Larnaca from Ayia Napa?

Greenforever
11/06/2009, 6:30 PM
How far is Larnaca from Ayia Napa?

About 40 minutes by taxi and it was about €50 in a taxi, with limassol €60 and about 50 minutes by taxi, this is from memory from the 1 - 0 win when we stayed in Lanaca, which was absoloutely dead, Aya Napa is definitely for the 18-30s while Limassol is for all regardless of age

Colie
11/06/2009, 9:08 PM
If I can give you one piece of advice JT it's stay in Ayia Napa. Was there in 05 myself & the craic was mighty. Bloody great craic. Depends on what you want but if you're after football and madness (2 of my favourite things) Ayia Napa is the place to be.

On another point, and a very painful one at that, does anyone reckon there is any chance of getting a flight from Dublin on the Saturday & then a bus to Larnaca in time for the match? One of my bloody mates is getting married on the Friday and the Saturday (the cheek) but I think I'd get away with just attending the 1st ceremony on the Friday. Probably pushing it but I really have to be at the match.

Green Paddy
17/06/2009, 10:30 AM
We are going to stay in Protaras, which is pretty close to Ayia Napa. Just wondering if anyone else is planning on staying there and do they know if its a good spot.

Sligo Hornet
17/06/2009, 12:10 PM
We are going to stay in Protaras, which is pretty close to Ayia Napa. Just wondering if anyone else is planning on staying there and do they know if its a good spot.

Stayed there for the time before last (1-0 win) and it was quite nice....a little quiet (but it was October)....lots of bars and a good beach with watersports........it's only about 15 mins in a taxi to Ayia Napa

horney
18/06/2009, 3:23 PM

stayed there 2 years ago its quieter but theres good bars and ayia napa is only 10 mins in a taxi

Girl in Green
22/06/2009, 1:50 PM
Surely it's got to be Ayia Napa for the craic.....

Nope....majority votes Limassol; guess were off to Limassol so JT!!!

Greenforever
23/06/2009, 6:25 PM
Hi all,
Well myself and our gang ( 10 of us ) have decided to stay in Limassol.

If anyone has stayed there previously for matches and knows of any reasonable hotel / apartments, close to city centre, please let me know and ill check them out,

cheers
JT :p

Limassol is a big resort spread over 4 or 5 miles.

All the night life seems to revolve around the Step Inn, plenty of bars restaurants etc here.

Most of the hotels / apartments seem to be up the far end meaning taxis up and back etc

We stayed in a small apartment block last time just 2 minutes walk from the Step Inn, and 2 mins from the beach, apartments were very baswic but only about €20 pp pn, and the staff were very friendly.

I'll dig out the name and web site during the week if you want to lok at them.

dgh1980
19/08/2009, 4:32 PM
Just wondering where the best craic will be the night before the match. Will all the fans be in Nicosia or in Ayia Napa and travel to the pitch before kick off? Do most fans head back to the resorts straight after the game or stay in Nicosia that night?

Green Tribe
25/08/2009, 2:23 PM
anyone in larnaca?

NeilMcD
25/08/2009, 3:53 PM
Told you green tribe. Aya Naps is where its at this time

Greenforever
25/08/2009, 9:39 PM
Told you green tribe. Aya Naps is where its at this time

Aya Naps is for the school leavers, not old fogeys like you:D

Got my usual table booked for the Step in Limassol next Weds lunchtime, just outside the door in the corner:D

Larnaca is for the OAPs parents, sure even the old git Dan wouldn't have been seen dead in Larnaca, :D

Green Tribe
26/08/2009, 9:49 AM
NEIL you are prob looking to pick up a school leaver (probably off the ground) :D
The BCJO is in Larnaca i hear :)

bluewater
26/08/2009, 1:40 PM
Group of 9 of us staying in Larnaca Green Tribe. I know that this is probably a stupid question but what does BCJO stand for :confused: Please excuse my igorance :o

Green Tribe
26/08/2009, 2:52 PM
nice one bluewater. :D Can't wait for some sunshine, 3 points and a few shandies! :D

SuperDub
26/08/2009, 8:48 PM
6 of us staying in Larnaca too. Glad to hear we are not on our own either.

Green Tribe
26/08/2009, 9:28 PM
6 of us staying in Larnaca too. Glad to hear we are not on our own either.

:D good stuff.
yeah green forever typical of all the travel! :mad::eek:

Greenforever
27/08/2009, 1:32 AM
just heard there is a great bingo hall for you's all in Larnaca :D:D:D

Sligo Hornet
27/08/2009, 6:45 AM
just heard there is a great bingo hall for you's all in Larnaca :D:D

ENJOY!!

http://i28.tinypic.com/fwovtx.jpg

Green Tribe
27/08/2009, 10:33 AM
can't wait :D

Green Tribe
27/08/2009, 2:51 PM
Yeah I am with the Hornets and Saint Tom and Babysis in Larnaca for this one I was in Aya Napa in 05 and not really my scene to be honest. But each to their own and some people much prefer Aya Napa. THe fact you can fly into Laranac, the game is likely to be there and hotel is right on the beach convinced me to go this trip.

you saying ayia napa is the place now neil :rolleyes::D;)

shaneker
27/08/2009, 4:57 PM
Girlfriend's sister lives in Larnaca, so will be there despite being (apparently) well under the age limit. Will be heading to Napa for a few nights though, got a good mate working in a bar there.

Leaving at 4am in the morning after the game finishes, so will be legging it out of the stadium, jumping in the car and straight back to the airport, missing all the craic afterwards, which is a bummer.

I'm off tomorrow evening (overnight from Prague) so will update at the weekend with how Larnaca is feeling. Oh, and we're going to win. Hope all those miserable feckers on the prediction thread are staying home with their 'we're going to lose 2-1, can't see a win, they're a better side etc etc' leaving us to cheer the lads to a sparkling 4-1 victory.

NeilMcD
27/08/2009, 8:35 PM
you saying ayia napa is the place now neil :rolleyes::D;)

Yeah I still think that but the majority won out on this one and I was convinced to go to Napa while you were still making up your mind if you would go or not. You snooze you lose or win in this case probably.

Green Tribe
28/08/2009, 8:14 AM
was always going neil, just didn't book til last minute, was never staying in napa though

gufct
28/08/2009, 10:21 PM
Were flying out monday our headquarters will be the Golden Arrow for the week .Charlie the owner is sound and way better than the Irish Kips.

NeilMcD
29/08/2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g262055-d1454310-Reviews-Golden_Arrow-Ayia_Napa.html

The Scientist
30/08/2009, 12:45 PM
Were flying out monday our headquarters will be the Golden Arrow for the week .Charlie the owner is sound and way better than the Irish Kips.

whats charlies daughters like?? :):)

Scram
31/08/2009, 8:58 AM
whats charlies daughters like?? :):)

They don't like Scientists.

kevincronin2000
01/09/2009, 9:24 AM
Greetings from Nappa, very warm here pints from E2 to about E5 depending where you drink........ good crack out here i think come thursday the place will be rocking.

JT,New'09
01/09/2009, 12:39 PM
Aya Naps is for the school leavers, not old fogeys like you

Got my usual table booked for the Step in Limassol next Weds lunchtime, just outside the door in the corner

Larnaca is for the OAPs parents, sure even the old git Dan wouldn't have been seen dead in Larnaca, :D

See you in step inn 9 of us staying in aparments close by , :D