PDA

View Full Version : Nutsy on the look out for Scottish Club

Pages : [1] 2

SunderlandBohs
12/06/2009, 10:44 AM
Irish rising young management star Pat Fenlon has declared his interest in landing a job in Scotland's top-flight. (Daily Record)

With Falkirk and Motherwell looking for a manager is Pat Fenlon looking to prove himself at a 'higher level'?

He's won pretty much everything here. Maybe it time to move on.

Leaves us in right in the brown sticky stuff if he goes.

Dunny
12/06/2009, 10:54 AM
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/2001/

Fenlon puts himself in shop window
by Simon Carter
Fri, Jun 12 2009

Bohemians manager Pat Fenlon has thrown his name into the hat for the vacant managerial positions at Scottish Premier League sides Falkirk and Motherwell.

Fenlon, who led Bohs to a League and FAI Cup double last year in his first season in charge, is today quoted in a Scottish newspaper as saying that he would be willing to listen to any offers from British sides should they approach him.

The former Shelbourne and Derry City boss told the Daily Record: "I'm under contract here at Bohemians and I'm loving working here on a daily basis. This club have been great to me and I have so much I want to do with this football club. I have a good relationship with the board and we are in the middle of the season so we have to stay focused on the job in hand here.

"But if a club from overseas comes in then I would have to hear what they say if Bohemians gave them permission to speak to me. I'm a young manager but everyone has ambitions to go and better themselves so if there was interest in me I would have to look at that. But any club would have to approach my own club here before I even considered leaving," he added.

dcfcsteve
12/06/2009, 10:54 AM
Fenlon is just the man for a job at a Scottish club.

Good luck over there Pat......! :D

pineapple stu
12/06/2009, 10:55 AM
Rats off a ship?

seand
12/06/2009, 10:58 AM
Are Flakirk and Motherwell willing to risk it all gambling on spending the equity in their home grounds on wages etc though, that's the question!

Mr A
12/06/2009, 10:59 AM
Fenlon is just the man for a job at a Scottish club.

Good luck over there Pat......! :D

He'd be a fool to move to Scotland. Anything he achieved there would be insignificant compared to Stephen Kenny's awesome exploits at Dunfermline.

noisecontrol
12/06/2009, 11:14 AM
Indeed Stevo's exploits could be what rules Pat out of the job from the start...

Very few success stories from the mass exodus that joined the SPL about 3 seasons ago!!!

A face
12/06/2009, 11:26 AM
I dont rate Fenlon without a cheque book so cant see him doing well. But best of luck to the guy i say.

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 12:03 PM
Hope he doesn't go. Would hate to think that he leaves the year we finally get one over him in the league.

Sunny Jim
12/06/2009, 12:14 PM
Rats off a ship?

That was my first thought too. Must be getting cynical in my old age.

A N Mouse
12/06/2009, 12:43 PM
Come on, he left Derry for 'personal reasons'.

Family wouldn't relocate and he couldn't work with a budget. They'd be mad to touch him.

And it's not like he'd have the money to save bohs by buying half the team.

SunderlandBohs
12/06/2009, 1:22 PM
Good to see Derry fans aren't a bitter lot!

Sounds like a come and get me plea. But then again who on here wounldn't look for a better more secure job (ever so slightly secure after the Setanta deal with the SPL mind) if there company was on the brink of going bust?

But pimping yourself to the papers is the wrong way to go about it.

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 1:42 PM
We're not bitter, we just hate the wee rat.

SunderlandBohs
12/06/2009, 2:13 PM
We're not bitter, we just hate the wee rat.
What's Sean Connor got to do with this?:D

seand
12/06/2009, 2:20 PM
What's Sean Connor got to do with this?:D

Connor for Falkirk! The campaign starts here!

Ezeikial
12/06/2009, 2:31 PM
Connor for Falkirk! The campaign starts here!

Has there every been compensation offered to the club taking on a manager - a kind of soccer dowry?

pineapple stu
12/06/2009, 2:44 PM
Yes - we paid Drogheda a tenner to take Doolin off us.

(True story apparently)

ndrog
12/06/2009, 2:55 PM
Great deal that ! a tenner for 4 trophies :D At least ucd were good for something :rolleyes:

flash
12/06/2009, 3:08 PM
Great deal that ! a tenner for 4 trophies :D At least ucd were good for something :rolleyes:
And he nearly killed the club with over valued players. He nearly did the same with UCD but he went before he could cause to much damage.

CMcC
12/06/2009, 3:24 PM
And its the manager that sets the budget and signs off on expenditure/signs the cheques is it?

pineapple stu
12/06/2009, 3:30 PM
Nope, but it is the manager who spends the budget on rubbish players, which he did at us.

CMcC
12/06/2009, 3:43 PM
Ah but then thats a different issue. Flash says he nearly killed the club. Not true the board nearly killed the club. You give a manager money and he will spend it. If you dont rate him as a manager or if you dont rate his ability to sign decent players or both then thats fair enough. Some would claim his record since says different.

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 3:47 PM
Ah but then thats a different issue. Flash says he nearly killed the club. Not true the board nearly killed the club. You give a manager money and he will spend it. If you dont rate him as a manager or if you dont rate his ability to sign decent players or both then thats fair enough. Some would claim his record since says different.

Not really. If the manager spends the budget well, the team are potentially more successful, leading to increased revenue.

pineapple stu
12/06/2009, 3:54 PM
Exactly. As in, hypothetically, if he were to take a club from European qualifiers to relegation, resulting in some of their top players to move on and necessitating a rebuilding/overhaul phase.

Anyways, back to Nutsy.

gustavo
12/06/2009, 3:55 PM
Not really. If the manager spends the budget well, the team are potentially more successful, leading to increased revenue.

I'm sure every manager sets out only to buy good players. Doesn't always work out that way though

CMcC
12/06/2009, 3:55 PM
Doubt if revenue generation is in any LoI managers job description. Managers are employed to win things or to achieve certain goals like staying up or promotion or whatever.

Wether you spend the budget well or not usually is determined bt he level of sucess against those goals. Wether you spend the budge well or not, it is still spent. At Drogheda he was sucessful - the budget he was given was spent and they won things.

Conversely your point re incresasing revenue with sucess didnt seem to happen there or if it did the club didnt use the increased revenue in th right way. Not the managers fault I would argue.

It doesnt seem to follow at Bohs either. Double success last year hasnt increased attendances or revenues greatly this year. Again nothing to do with the manager - all to do with the Bohs board.

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 4:01 PM
Doubt if revenue generation is in any LoI managers job description. Managers are employed to win things or to achieve certain goals like staying up or promotion or whatever.

Wether you spend the budget well or not usually is determined bt he level of sucess against those goals. Wether you spend the budge well or not, it is still spent. At Drogheda he was sucessful - the budget he was given was spent and they won things.

Conversely your point re incresasing revenue with sucess didnt seem to happen there or if it did the club didnt use the increased revenue in th right way. Not the managers fault I would argue.

It doesnt seem to follow at Bohs either. Double success last year hasnt increased attendances or revenues greatly this year. Again nothing to do with the manager - all to do with the Bohs board.

Not every situation is identical though. With Drogheda, the board ploughed money into them expecting some sort of return when their new stadium was built. That didn't happen, so left them in the ****. The board were too speculative. Historically, that hasn't been the case with UCD.

pineapple stu
12/06/2009, 4:12 PM
The board were too speculative. Historically, that hasn't been the case with UCD.
That's one way of putting it.

Hoey et al nearly killed Drogheda, not Doolin. Doolin did, however, screw UCD up. Hence, we paid Drogheda to take him off us. I think both cases are being discussed as the same, which is wrong, as you've pointed out.

wexfordned
12/06/2009, 4:14 PM
To be fair to Nusty, why shouldn't he leave. Winning the double last season means he has achieved as much he can in this league. If he wants to a fresh challenge of the Scottish league good luck to him.

Weatherman
12/06/2009, 4:41 PM
To be fair to Nusty, why shouldn't he leave. Winning the double last season means he has achieved as much he can in this league. If he wants to a fresh challenge of the Scottish league good luck to him.

i agree. surely he has ambitions to further his career abroad after all he has won almost everything with the biggest club in the land.

Hairy Bowsie
12/06/2009, 6:54 PM
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Pat Fenlon is the best manger in this league by a great distance, with or without a cheque book.

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 7:12 PM
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Pat Fenlon is the best manger in this league by a great distance, with or without a cheque book.

Yeah, he's really proved it all those times he's been with a club in a dire financial situation. Running away shows how big the man is. Helping take his wages off the books. Good man Pat. With or without a chequebook, you truely are one of the greats.

brianw82
12/06/2009, 7:51 PM
Derry pubs must be only serving bitter this weekend. :p

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 7:56 PM
As I've said, it's not bitterness, we just hate the wee rat.

brianw82
12/06/2009, 8:05 PM
Maybe you'd like him if you got to know him?

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 8:15 PM
Doubt it, but give him my mobile, and we'll go for a meal and see where it leads us. Does he go all the way on a first date?

Louth4sam
12/06/2009, 8:16 PM

Was that not 12 million for 4 trophies?

SkStu
12/06/2009, 8:18 PM
Doubt it, but give him my mobile, and we'll go for a meal and see where it leads us. Does he go all the way on a first date?

Sean Connor probably does...

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 8:20 PM
Sean Connor probably does...

Wouldn't do him with yours!

Hairy Bowsie
12/06/2009, 9:57 PM
As I've said, it's not bitterness, we just hate the wee rat.

Comical :D It's quiet clearly bitterness, only bettered by the fact you genuinely don't realise that it is :D

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 10:33 PM
I've no idea what I'm supposed to be bitter about. I don't think he's proven himself at all in a situation where he hasn't had substantial resources. Feel free to prove me wrong. Even at Derry, when he did have a decent budget, he didn't exactly cover himself in glory. Added to this, I dislike him because he's an antagonistic, mouthy and irritating little man.

Having an opinion on something doesn't always mean you are 'bitter' and 'bitter' is a phrase that is historically very easy to throw at people from Derry. Basically by branding us all bitter, it allows you to escape discussion on the matter at hand.

fionnsci
12/06/2009, 10:59 PM
Bohs have as good a chance as ever to cause a splash in the CL this year, I'd hate to see this disrupt everything.

dcfcsteve
12/06/2009, 11:01 PM
And its the manager that sets the budget and signs off on expenditure/signs the cheques is it?

From reading foot.ie you'd think that Boards didn't exist and Managers controlled club finances all on their own....

Managers don't kill clubs - Boards do....

thischarmingman
12/06/2009, 11:20 PM
Comical :D It's quiet clearly bitterness, only bettered by the fact you genuinely don't realise that it is :D

Ok, how should we feel towards Fenlon? Just gratified that he ever took the time to come and visit our little hovel? Thrilled that he just about managed to keep us out of the relegation zone? Stupified to even have such a legend in our unworthy little dugout?

Go on, how should we react to the fact that "the best manger in this league by a great distance" took over a club that had lost out on the treble by 8 goals and come within 2 goals of a UEFA Cup group spot and managed us to 3 wins in our first 15 league games of the season?

dancinpants
13/06/2009, 12:50 AM
Go on, how should we react to the fact that "the best manger in this league by a great distance" took over a club that had lost out on the treble by 8 goals and come within 2 goals of a UEFA Cup group spot and managed us to 3 wins in our first 15 league games of the season?

Not to mention he bought all the gash this league had to offer. :rolleyes: Actually do any of the players he bought for Derry currently play in the Premier Division? :confused:

Ezeikial
13/06/2009, 12:57 AM
Not to mention he bought all the gash this league had to offer. :rolleyes: Actually do any of the players he bought for Derry currently play in the Premier Division? :confused:

Who were his major signings?

thischarmingman
13/06/2009, 1:28 AM

Who were his major signings?

Dave Rogers (Shelbourne)- Left in June 2007 for Pats, recently sacked by Dundalk for indecent conduct.
Karl Bermingham (Newry C) Left July 2007, now with First Division Monaghan United.
Kyle Moran (Free) Released July 2007, currently with Pats, via Institute and Larne in the Irish League.
Greg O'Halloran (Shelbourne) Made 6 appearances, currently with Cork City
Peter Hynes (Newry C) Made 13 apps, 1 goal for Derry. Loaned to UCD in July 2007 making 8 appearances, now with First Division Shelbourne
Alan Moore (Shelbourne) Joined Sligo Rovers in Feb 2008 but was released by them, now assistant manager at Pats
Ola Tidman (Free) Conceded 4 goals at home to Cork on his debut, now playing for IF Limhamn Bunkeflo 2007 in the Swedish league 3rd Division. Notable for making just about every City supporter's "Worst XI." Signed after he impressed Fenlon when on trial at Derry.

Schumi
13/06/2009, 1:39 AM
No arguments about his achievements with money but I don't see how you can say that he has proved himself without money to spend yet. When has he had a job without lots of money to spend? Derry is the only example I can think of and he didn't set the world alight there.

Dunny
13/06/2009, 1:41 AM
Kyle Moran (Free) Released July 2007, currently with Pats, via Institute and Larne in the Irish League.

He played for Man United aswell don't ya know!

thischarmingman
13/06/2009, 1:42 AM
He played for Man United aswell don't ya know!

...before he came to Derry...