PDA

View Full Version : Irish Times says club to be wound up Monday

Pages : [1] 2 3

joeSoap
12/06/2009, 8:22 AM
Emmett Malone in the Times says the club is to be wound up on Monday as a result of the failure to secure a friendly fixture. I don't honestly know where this has come from. Obviously he has his sources.

What worries me more is that I have learned from a very reliable source that has been involved with the club on and off for nearly 30 years that the club haven't even made approaches to Thomond Park or anywhere else for the use of the ground for an Ipswich/Sunderland/Middlesboro friendly. Thats worrying if it is the case and I have no reason to doubt what I have been told, nor do I spread gossip on this forum. Not a nice way to treat genuine supporters, or attract new ones.

He also informed me that the Markets Field project is totally dead in the water and is what led to the resignation of influential people within the club.

I believe some clarification is needed from the club on this.

Gaillimh Al
12/06/2009, 8:27 AM
I can only find one article online about Real going to Tallaght by Emmet Malone where there is no mention of this at all.

Can you put forward a link or quote from the piece please?

Sheridan
12/06/2009, 8:30 AM
Yeah, the online version of the article makes no reference to the club being wound up. Is there something in the print copy or is it just some kind of bizarre Chinese whisper?

osarusan
12/06/2009, 8:37 AM
I think Emmet Malone is a good reporter, and the Irish Times is the only newspaper that isn't a pile of crap, but I have no idea where this report is coming from. It isn't on the paper's website (as far as I could see).

I've never heard anything about a friendly with Real Madrid, and doubt the club would have been banking on it. But some of the other points JoeSoap mentions above, if true, are pretty worrying.

Ciarán R
12/06/2009, 8:37 AM
yeah, got a message from a friend about this but can't find the article

Malone does say this however:

"THE club’s financial situation is so perilous that this could be Limerick’s last cup game and the long list of players unavailable due to injuries or suspension is probably not uppermost in manager Pat Scully’s mind."

Dodge
12/06/2009, 8:40 AM
Its in the print edition

best of luck to the club...

pineapple stu
12/06/2009, 8:49 AM
the club is to be wound up on Monday as a result of the failure to secure a friendly fixture.

[T]he Markets Field project is totally dead in the water and is what led to the resignation of influential people within the club.
Those two sound kind of like someone spitting out a dummy in a huff? Has there been a Revenue petition to wind the club up or anything? Very strange to just turn around and wind it up like that. Best of luck anyways; rather sudden.

Ronnie
12/06/2009, 8:49 AM
Article in paper says club are losing 2500 per week. Along with Real, Celtic and Villa had also been mentioned for a firendly, for Thomond I presume.

Even if the club were losing 2500 per week at the moment, surely with the window opening in two weeks it might be possible to reduce costs? Unless of course incomes are so dismal. What ever happened that rich american geezer?,

osarusan
12/06/2009, 8:56 AM
that the club haven't even made approaches to Thomond Park or anywhere else for the use of the ground for an Ipswich/Sunderland/Middlesboro friendly.
Now that I think about it, I had heard that the big friendlies involving Limerick at Thomond Park were being organised by other group (s), not by Limerick themselves. While this means Limerick would be getting less money than if they had organised it themselves, it would explain why nobody from the club has been in contact with Thomond Park. I'm not sure about any of it though.

Monkfish
12/06/2009, 8:59 AM
resignation of influential people within the club.

Like who? :confused:

Lionel Ritchie
12/06/2009, 9:37 AM
I believe nothing I read and half of what I see.

Aside from the remarkably specific (and somewhat arbitrary) date of 'Monday' for the supposed wind-up, it sounds like a bit of a join-the-dots story.

SeniorBlue
12/06/2009, 10:21 AM
Can somebody explain who is going to wind us up, is it revenue or who. What amazes me in all this is that the owner of the club has not been seen or heard of in a long time, is he gone or what, and if so why does he not say the club is open to offers from anyone willing to take it over. There isn't a season that goes by where we don't make the headlines for being in trouble but for some reason this time it seems to be very final. Lads try and get as many of yer mates and family up this evening, it might be too late but Limerick is far too big not to have a national league team

balanced view
12/06/2009, 11:07 AM
Im goin to limerick home matches on a regular basis for the last 8 or 9 years with same group of friends and to say we are disillusioned with whats happening now is an understatement. different owners/management/players/ but same old story for fans. deserve better.We will obviously keep supporting no matter what but this is the main reason why there aint much interest in supporting Limerick locally. (support is very poor given the population in Limerick and interest in soccer generally)From talking to a few of my other mates who dont bother with limerick, their opinion is that they know that trouble is only around the corner and feel why should they spend theyre hard earned money on the club.

The suggestion is that this report is from a credible source.
Think the least the club can do is release a statement of the reality of the situation and at let fans know whats goin on.

London-Irish
12/06/2009, 12:42 PM
Think the least the club can do is release a statement of the reality of the situation and at let fans know whats goin on.

Correct. There seems to be a severe lack of official information coming out of the club about this story and about the proposed friendlies.

inmoscow
13/06/2009, 2:49 PM
[quote=London-Irish;1176802]Correct. There seems to be a severe lack of official information coming out of the club about this story and about the proposed friendlies.[/quW
Just looked at the companies registration office records,seems that jack mac actually does not own the club in total,anyone able to elaborate on this?Actually very surprised by this,as all statements etc from club refer to him as the owner,there is a list of people on cro records as holding some ownership of club.

LFC-Zulu
14/06/2009, 2:06 PM
What this club don't seem to realise is that the fact they're not releasing an official statement, is turning everyone against them. Last thing this city needs is more people not caring about the club. At least tell the Supporters Club, the people who can actually help the club. How do they expect to stay afloat when nobody knows how to help them except themselves?

LK37oldskool
14/06/2009, 7:04 PM
What this club don't seem to realise is that the fact they're not releasing an official statement, is turning everyone against them. Last thing this city needs is more people not caring about the club. At least tell the Supporters Club, the people who can actually help the club. How do they expect to stay afloat when nobody knows how to help them except themselves?
Agree totally,lack of information will only feed the rumour mill.An honest statement is needed from the club. Never a dull moment with this club. :mad:

blueblood
15/06/2009, 12:32 PM
Agree totally,lack of information will only feed the rumour mill.An honest statement is needed from the club. Never a dull moment with this club. :mad:
Agree 100%, keeping things hush hush hasn't worked in the past. What the club need to do is act a bit professional and release some sort of an honest, informative and accurate statement about what's happening

John83
15/06/2009, 2:05 PM
So, it's Monday. Any news?

Sunny Jim
15/06/2009, 2:42 PM
The Irish Times article said Monday week.

balanced view
15/06/2009, 2:45 PM
http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/Limerick-FC-have-39nothing-to.5365978.jp

Piece in local paper today. club haven't released a statement because there is nothing to report.

London-Irish
15/06/2009, 4:52 PM
Weird article. It doesn't actually say they have nothing to report. It actually says they are waiting to see where they stand before making a statement.

LK37oldskool
15/06/2009, 5:26 PM
where are all the regular posters gone,your absense on this topic is making me very nervous!

Monkfish
15/06/2009, 5:48 PM
where are all the regular posters gone,your absense on this topic is making me very nervous!

Yes cause the club will be saved by talking on foot.ie. :)

blueblood
15/06/2009, 6:52 PM
Ya but there's nothing like a bit of faulse hope, thats what being a Limerick F.C supporter is about :D

John83
15/06/2009, 7:05 PM
That's never stopped anyone before.

LK37oldskool
15/06/2009, 7:43 PM
usually the truth of whats going on is revealed here before any general announcement is what i'm gettin at.
Your reply Mr.Monkfish indicates that the club is indeed in need of savin,care to share any info?

Monkfish
16/06/2009, 2:36 PM
care to share any info?

Have Shels Friday so full steam ahead, press release on its way I beleive.

soccerc
16/06/2009, 2:47 PM
Love this bit from the Leader article

An article appeared in the Irish Times on Friday morning stating that the 72-year-old club could be "wound-up" this week

Monkfish
16/06/2009, 2:49 PM
Love this bit from the Leader article

A proud history indeed. Didnt you know this already? :)

soccerc
16/06/2009, 3:01 PM
A proud history indeed. Didnt you know this already? :)

LOL, Is that Continuity Limerick Fc from Limerick 37 from the legitimate but defunct Danny Drew Limerick :D

Who hold the keys to the heritage?

Monkfish
16/06/2009, 3:15 PM
LOL, Is that Continuity Limerick Fc from Limerick 37 from the legitimate but defunct Danny Drew Limerick :D

Who hold the keys to the heritage?

Oh right you were trying to be funny with an unoriginal joke, my mistake.

soccerc
16/06/2009, 3:20 PM
Oh right you were trying to be funny with an unoriginal joke, my mistake.
FYI, I wasn't trying to be funny or smart. I just found the sentence risible.

The current club are far from 72 years old and no amount of hawking that will ever change that fact.

LK37oldskool
16/06/2009, 3:52 PM
Limerick is Limerick no matter if there is FC/LK37/Utd in the title.There has been and only ever be 1 Limerick! And i for one love our city's 72 year history in senior soccer. :D

Pious37
17/06/2009, 8:13 AM
http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/soccer/limerick-fc-seeking-funding-due-to-unforeseen-circumstances-1775638.html

Looks like theres a meeting sunday to put us out of our misery!

balanced view
17/06/2009, 8:57 AM
http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/soccer/limerick-fc-seeking-funding-due-to-unforeseen-circumstances-1775638.html

Looks like theres a meeting sunday to put us out of our misery!

Anybody know what the "unforseen circumstances" are. no specific info given. hopefully get something after sunday.

Partizan
17/06/2009, 10:31 AM
Anybody know what the "unforseen circumstances" are. no specific info given. hopefully get something after sunday.

Is McCarthy thinking of doing a runner?

balanced view
17/06/2009, 1:34 PM
A bit more on this...............

Limerick to hold public meeting

Published Date:
17 June 2009
By Jerome O'Connell (joconnell@limerickleader.ie)

LIMERICK FC are to host a public meeting this Sunday evening, June 21 as speculation abounds as to the future of the city's 72-year-old League of Ireland senior soccer club.
The club have issued an appeal for "everyone with an interest in the future of senior soccer in Limerick" to attend the meeting in The Strand Hotel on Sunday at 7pm.
"Due to on-going negotiations Limerick FC is not currently in a position to respond to recent media speculation regarding the future of the club," explained a club statement released on Tuesday afternoon.
"However, we can assure everyone that the staff and the players of Limerick FC are fully aware of the situation within the club and the supporters will be informed of any further developments as they arise."
However, the club have accepted that they require a cash injection.
"Due to unforeseen circumstances the Limerick FC Board and Management Committee are currently seeking further investment," explained club's the statement.
"The club would like to ask the people of the mid-west to support Limerick FC."
The statement calls for a show of solidarity at Jackman Park this Friday night when high-flyers Shelbourne visit Limerick for a crucial League of Ireland First Division clash - Limerick currently lie 12 points behind leaders UCD.
"It is important that people come out and support Limerick this Friday in Jackman Park against Shelbourne and in their future fundraising endeavours. The club has come a long way in the last 18 months under the current Board and Management Committee. Limerick FC now has proposals in place to secure the future of the club through its new base in Knockalisheen and also its on-going aspiration to return to the Markets Field with the assistance of all bodies involved," the club statement read.

SeniorBlue
17/06/2009, 2:01 PM
Well at least the players and board know whats going on, thats a huge relief but us supporters who pay their wages and travel to games are being told nothing, thanks Limerick we know now ye really appreciate our support every week. We'll just accept that as usual so i suppose, i'm really getting sick of lies, the club are treating its own supporters like aliens.

harpin
17/06/2009, 2:06 PM
It looks like McCarthy is gone

superhero
17/06/2009, 4:25 PM
Well at least the players and board know whats going on, thats a huge relief but us supporters who pay their wages and travel to games are being told nothing, thanks Limerick we know now ye really appreciate our support every week. We'll just accept that as usual so i suppose, i'm really getting sick of lies, the club are treating its own supporters like aliens.

your better off not knowing, it aint pretty what's going on there at the moment

jebus
18/06/2009, 1:10 PM

How can they lie to us if they won't tell us anything?

Anyway I'm happy enough to leave the people that volunteer to run the club do so without asking for hourly updates. I don't volunteer, I'll wager you don't either, so we can hardly complain of being kept out of the loop when they are trying their hardest to keep the ship sailing now can we?

Also I don't know of any other club that would make any other statement on this and keep their fans informed of exactly whats going on in backstage negotations. Liverpool FC wouldn't do it, neither would Linfield, Leeds or Levante, so I don't see why Limerick FC should

LK37oldskool
18/06/2009, 2:25 PM
lads,no point in speculating,as jebus has said let the management get on with the business of keeping the club going.Their doing a great job and all we can do as supporters is show up in numbers on Friday night and get behind the players.

Monkfish
18/06/2009, 10:10 PM
Thats what the club needs! Scully, Judge, Jack, the lot! keep everyone happy! :)

Pious37
22/06/2009, 11:43 AM
Meeting last night:

1) Club winding up process commencing today.

2) €70k needed to keep the club running until the end of year.

3) Jack McCarthy will not cover anymore losses and has resigned as Chairman.

4) Unclear as to whether the €70k will be a donation and Jack McCarthy will continue to own the club or if €70k will buy shares in the club. Think its the former more so than the later. Therefore why would people invest there hard earned cash for no return. This does not seem viable. What we need is a new investor..... Any Sheiks out there?

5) No friendly. Thomond Park will not be available due to the Rod Steward Concert and upcoming international frinedlies and no club has agreed to a friendly despite numerous supposed contacts with British clubs. Pity really.

6) Markets field looking less and less likely.

7) Placed emphasis on Knocklasheen. What was the point of this if the club needs investment. This is not even an asset of the club. Its been leased, yes it will reduce costs in long run but the short term costs are high due to the investment needed to get it in a proper state. This is a worrying aspect for any potential investor.

8) Seemed a bit strange holding a meeting at last minute, almost impossible to attract any investment at short notice.

9) Why was JP McManus not contacted. One man made this point and was responded with - We dont know him. What a ridiculous response. He should be the first man we contacted especially as he endorses "Sporting Limerick".

This is a very worrying time for Limerick FC. If money does not come up by Sunday, or so we believe from last nights meeting, the club will be no more and I for one will be very disappointed. Credit to everyone who tried there best but it does not look good. Hopefully we see some promising developments, for a change, in the very near future.

jebus
22/06/2009, 11:47 AM
JP McManus wants nothing to do with Limerick FC, he was contacted a few years ago I believe and said as much, maybe it's changed and he should be approached but I wouldn't count on him bailing us out, especially as it's well documented that we need an injection of money and he hasn't come forward

Monkfish
22/06/2009, 12:05 PM
JP is the type of fella who if the club got the backing of the FAI, City Hall and whoever else, got moved into the Markets Field and were seeing to be getting somewhere he might drop a few notes our way.

Pious37
22/06/2009, 1:06 PM
JP is a generous guy tho. Cant see why he would not throw €70k our way for the good of Limerick. Surely someone can save us?

prince20
22/06/2009, 1:18 PM
http://www.setanta.com/us/Articles/Football/2009/06/21/LOI-Cash-injection-for-struggling-clubs/gnid-57736/

Not sure where to post this, feel free to start a new thread if you wish with this

Ash
22/06/2009, 1:34 PM
... Any Sheiks out there?

No Sheiks but plenty of Shi'ites!