PDA

View Full Version : Limerick FC set to be wound up

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

fionnsci
12/06/2009, 6:37 AM
on monday due to loss of major revenue from planned Thomond Park freindly (Real Madrid).......

This according to Emmett Malone, Irish Times.

SunderlandBohs
12/06/2009, 8:01 AM
The same week Real Madrid break the transfer world record one of Ireland's most famous clubs will go out of business for the some of what an average player like Gareth Barry will make in a month at a mid-table EPL club like Man City. Pleasure/pain in infect. Funny old game?

Dodge
12/06/2009, 8:37 AM
The same week Real Madrid break the transfer world record one of Ireland's most famous clubs will go out of business

The club is about 3 years old....

Shame to happen to any club though.

And on a personal level, it would be absolutely ****ing typical of pats to be knocked out of the FAI Cup to a team taht couldn't play in the next round...

if Limerick go (and I hope they don't), I'll always have a soft spot for them for stopping Shels' promotion last year

Monkfish
12/06/2009, 8:51 AM
(Real Madrid).......

Well thats a load of crap for a start, club never had any plans involving Real Madrid. People who run Thomond park were trying to arrange some sort of friendly (nothing to do with Limerick FC)

Club has said that we're in trouble if we dont get some sort fundraiser/friendly organised a few weeks ago alright but never has Real Madrid been even mentioned.

Hairy Bowsie
12/06/2009, 8:56 AM
They'll go out of business and come back under a differnet name, as they have done before. No panic.

Continuity Limerick, anyone?

eamo1
12/06/2009, 9:25 AM
Or to rip off a well known joke,how about their new name being "i cant believe its not Lmierick"??:p

peadar1987
12/06/2009, 9:25 AM
Desperately sad news if it's true. Even if the club do reform under a different name, they'll still have to start off in the A Championship, and I can't see the already apathetic Limerick football public turning out in any sort of numbers for that.

I hope they manage to pull themselvess through.

eamo1
12/06/2009, 9:26 AM
Typo:Limerick.

SunderlandBohs
12/06/2009, 9:26 AM
The club is about 3 years old....

Shame to happen to any club though.

And on a personal level, it would be absolutely ****ing typical of pats to be knocked out of the FAI Cup to a team taht couldn't play in the next round...

if Limerick go (and I hope they don't), I'll always have a soft spot for them for stopping Shels' promotion last year

I mean't Limerick clubs (more or less the same club under different names) in general down thru the years.

Forgot Limerick F.C went bust and came back as Limerick 37 and then returned to Limerick F.C.

My mistake. Anyway its always sad to a club on the brink.

gufc2000
12/06/2009, 10:28 AM
What about the American lad who is Chairman? Surely he has something in the kitty to save them

joeSoap
12/06/2009, 10:31 AM
What about the American lad who is Chairman? Surely he has something in the kitty to save them He's been hit pretty hard by the falling US economy apparently... and has been looking for a buyer for a long time now.

Longfordian
12/06/2009, 10:44 AM
How much could ye have realistically have included in your budget as proceeds of this friendly and who is looking to wind the club up?.

dcfcsteve
12/06/2009, 10:59 AM
Forgot Limerick F.C went bust and came back as Limerick 37 and then returned to Limerick F.C.

Limerick didn't go bust and then change to Limerick 37. It couldn't get an FAI license - some would say out of FAI concern/malice re a key player in the club at the time - so the players effectively shunted off to a new '37' entity and got the license that way. Then when the dust settled, the '37' bit got dropped.

It seems Limerick is the new Cork in terms of footballing instability.

thischarmingman
12/06/2009, 11:00 AM
It seems Limerick is the new Cork in terms of footballing instability.

In fairness, I think Cork are still the new Cork in terms in footballing instability.

Mr A
12/06/2009, 11:00 AM
Damn you charmingman!

thischarmingman
12/06/2009, 11:01 AM
In fairness Cork seem determined not to relinquish their title without a fight.

Beat you to it. :p

dcfcsteve
12/06/2009, 11:02 AM
on monday due to loss of major revenue from planned Thomond Park freindly (Real Madrid).......

This according to Emmett Malone, Irish Times.

This doesn't sound right at all.

Was a friendly between the 2 clubs ever actually agreed ? If not, why was the club banking on it then ?

Sounds like there's deeper problems at Limerick that a glamour friendly won't solve. I hope they can hang in there.

pineapple stu
12/06/2009, 11:05 AM
In fairness, I think Cork are still the new Cork in terms in footballing instability.
I think Limerick are doing more than a passing impression of Limerick too.

Enruoblehs
12/06/2009, 11:53 AM
Don't think it's Limerick that's been wound up, but ourselves reading this!!

Can't see any reference to it in the Irish Times, where the story is supposed to have originated.

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 12:06 PM
Buckets out tonight?

pineapple stu
12/06/2009, 12:07 PM

Can't see any reference to it in the Irish Times, where the story is supposed to have originated.
Apparently it's in the print version, but not online. Someone quotes from it in the Limerick forum. There's often little differences between the two.

Sunny Jim
12/06/2009, 12:07 PM

It's in the Sports Digest section, page 21.

Monkfish
12/06/2009, 12:09 PM
page 21.

That all? no front page lament? :(

Dunny
12/06/2009, 12:10 PM
I know this has nothing to do with Limerick but don't know where to put it.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/7802-financial-crisis-threatens-united039s-long-term-future

pineapple stu
12/06/2009, 12:11 PM
Wasn't there a general "Financial woes" thread a while back?

Longfordian
12/06/2009, 12:12 PM
I love the way it just trails off with Leeson's quote "To be honest we are...". Insert your own expletive.

eelmonster
12/06/2009, 12:30 PM
I love the way it just trails off with Leeson's quote "To be honest we are...". Insert your own expletive.

Ha, beat me to it. Fooked?

Buile Shuibhne
12/06/2009, 12:42 PM
THE club’s financial situation is so perilous that this could be Limerick’s last cup game and the long list of players unavailable due to injuries or suspension is probably not uppermost in manager Pat Scully’s mind.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0612/1224248688498.html

Réiteoir
12/06/2009, 12:47 PM
Is there an equivalent of John Hume down there who could beg to a massive club to help bail them out of the deep stuff with a friendly?

Mr A
12/06/2009, 12:48 PM
Is there an equivalent of John Hume down there who could beg to a massive club to help bail them out of the deep stuff with a friendly?

No doubt Willie O'Dea is swinging into action as we speak.

eamo1
12/06/2009, 12:56 PM
Its like a horse race to see who goes bust first.Bohs and Cork were the main front runners but coming charging up on the outside are Limerick and Galway Utd.Going to be a tight finish to this one.You can probably say though that EVERY club is in the race.(Cue Derry,Dundalk and Sligo fans saying "we are fine").:)

Dunny
12/06/2009, 12:57 PM
We are fine!

I win.

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 1:00 PM
We aren't fine!

But we're not imminently up the creek.

thischarmingman
12/06/2009, 2:31 PM
We aren't fine!

But we're not imminently up the creek.

We still have the paddle in other words.

Even though the shop we 'bought' it from is complaining we haven't paid them yet.

Monkfish
12/06/2009, 4:13 PM
No doubt Willie O'Dea is swinging into action as we speak.

Your joking right? :(

passerrby
12/06/2009, 5:11 PM
Your joking right? :(

would he not help you out

LFC-Zulu
12/06/2009, 5:15 PM
Wont happen as fast as we think, but this club is in need of investors, stable ones with long term plans, not just someone whose gonna keep us afloat for a few months.

Derry
12/06/2009, 5:51 PM

There's only one John Hume.

Hairy Bowsie
12/06/2009, 6:52 PM
Home Farm Limerick?

CSFShels
12/06/2009, 7:06 PM
Last thing I want is Limerick to not be in the league this year, they took points off Fingal and UCD and we beat them, so it'd be really annoying if that got cancelled out, either way, I doubt this will happen.

London-Irish
12/06/2009, 7:50 PM
There is a severe lack of official information coming out of Limerick FC regarding this story and their proposed money-spinning friendlies.

SkStu
12/06/2009, 8:04 PM

its so crazy it might just happen..... 0-0...

SkStu
12/06/2009, 8:14 PM
its so crazy it might just happen..... 0-0...

sorry Limerick fans... :o

olegunnar
12/06/2009, 8:50 PM
It hardly needs to be said that LOI clubs are skint, with little hope of steady income streams. Athlone Town "filled" Lisseywoolen witha Sunderland game, helped them out for a little while, but my idea is this::::

Instead of allowing a single club to host a glamour tie that make a few bob that'll last a season (i say few due to stadium capacity limitations) could FAI have a LOI representative side play the likes of Real/Barce/Liverpool and divide proceeds to league?

Real V Munster LOI selection raising money for Limerick, Cork City, improving regional facilities, and play it in Thomond, not turners cross, and get 3 times the gate??

Barca visit dublin and play a Leinster selection, you'd fill aviva with it!! make it an annual thing with different high profile clubs Inter/Juve/Bayern...

Just an idea....

FAI need to something before we lose more clubs... Dublin City/Kilkenny/Cobh:rolleyes:

Jofspring
12/06/2009, 9:09 PM
It hardly needs to be said that LOI clubs are skint, with little hope of steady income streams. Athlone Town "filled" Lisseywoolen witha Sunderland game, helped them out for a little while, but my idea is this::::

Instead of allowing a single club to host a glamour tie that make a few bob that'll last a season (i say few due to stadium capacity limitations) could FAI have a LOI representative side play the likes of Real/Barce/Liverpool and divide proceeds to league?

Real V Munster LOI selection raising money for Limerick, Cork City, improving regional facilities, and play it in Thomond, not turners cross, and get 3 times the gate??

Barca visit dublin and play a Leinster selection, you'd fill aviva with it!! make it an annual thing with different high profile clubs Inter/Juve/Bayern...

Just an idea....

FAI need to something before we lose more clubs... Dublin City/Kilkenny/Cobh:rolleyes:

I think this is a good idea and the money split between clubs would be very valuable to those struggling.

SligoBrewer
12/06/2009, 9:21 PM
and a Sligo/ Derry/ Finn harps/ Mons selection play AC Milan in windsor park.
;)

Longfordian
12/06/2009, 9:21 PM
The FAI doesn't care if more clubs go out of business as long as they're the "right" clubs e.g Us, Monaghan, Kildare, UCD, Cobh etc. They'd be quite happy with about 10 "successful" ideally full time teams with the rest all amateurs and feeding into the nearest big club from the more heavily populated areas. There's less of a drain on their resources then. See the number of times Padraig Smith has said he feels some clubs should consider if they belong in senior soccer and how he feels more clubs will do a Kilkenny City.

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 9:28 PM
and a Sligo/ Derry/ Finn harps/ Mons selection play AC Milan in windsor park.
;)

So Derry v AC Milan at Windsor then.

SligoBrewer
12/06/2009, 9:31 PM
So Derry v AC Milan at Windsor then.

Ah now shnake.

pól-dcfc
12/06/2009, 9:37 PM
Ah now shnake.

I'm the Viper ;)