PDA

View Full Version : Inter Railing

adamcarr
11/06/2009, 5:12 PM
I'm going interrailing at the end of the month, has anyone been before, any tips for the train stations? Do you have to book your trains days in advance or just turn up?

Theres a group of 3 of us going, we're going to:
Budapest
Bratislava
Prague
Germany(probably Berlin and Hamburg)
Amsterdam

Any tips for these cities?

Cheers.

centre mid
11/06/2009, 5:19 PM
Try to stay away from the centre of Prague, full of stag parties. Go a couple of streets back from it and its brilliant. A beautiful city, lots of cool bars & clubs if you want that scene or local cafe type bars.

Raheny Red
11/06/2009, 6:48 PM
I'm going interrailing at the end of the month, has anyone been before, any tips for the train stations? Do you have to book your trains days in advance or just turn up?

Theres a group of 3 of us going, we're going to:
Budapest
Bratislava
Prague
Germany(probably Berlin and Hamburg)
Amsterdam

Any tips for these cities?

Cheers.

I went last year. Also went to Budapest, Bratislava, Prague, and Berlin as well as a few more places. We had no problems with the trains apart from the first leg of the journey, paris to Brussels. There was no hope of getting the train to Brussels as it was Belgium's day of Independence. When we arrived in a certain station we booked our seats for the next leg, i.e when we arrived in Berlin we went straight to the ticket office to book our train to Prague which was 3 days later. I've no tips as such but try avoiding Bratislava midweek. We arrived there on a Monday and left on the Thursday, it was dead and was probably the worst part of the journey. If you haven't booked accom for Berlin yet then check out The Generator, great spot.

brianw82
11/06/2009, 6:58 PM
I did it in France last year. You just show up at the ticket office and tell them where you want to go, show your ticket, and Bob's your uncle. You may have to pay a small supplement fee for the high-speed trains, 3euro or so.
I'd just recommend using common sense as regards booking in advance. For example, I had to wait around for the next train from Paris to Bordeaux coz the first one was full, but Strasbourg -> Paris was practically empty. Weekend trains/rush hour are always likely to be more full.

In Prague, I'd recommend a pub in the Zizkhov area of the city called 'The shot-out eye' (not sure of the name in Czech), really nice joint, especially if they have a band playing. Also, what centre mid said.

SkStu
11/06/2009, 7:04 PM
are there any websites or places online to plan such a trip. This thread has peaked my interest about a possible future inter-railing trip with herself.

adamcarr
11/06/2009, 7:25 PM
I went last year. Also went to Budapest, Bratislava, Prague, and Berlin as well as a few more places.

Would you have to book the Budapest-Bratislava train in advance? We start in Budapest on a Tuesday so we'll probably head for Bratislava for the weekend, thanks for the advice.

green army
14/06/2009, 9:54 AM
If you haven't booked accom for Berlin yet then check out The Generator, great spot.

stayed in the generator for the pats game there last september. would'nt go near it again. its miles and miles and miles into the east part of the city. but berlin is a massive city. if you like your history, then thee is loads to see and do here. would recommend checkpoint charlie. there is a whole timeline of events on the hoarding on the road. its aparently better than the museum.

brendy_éire
16/06/2009, 12:08 AM
Whilst in Budapest, be sure to do some caving. There's loads of companies offering tours of the many caves under the city. Brilliant craic, and pretty cheap if I remember, under €20. Ask with the hotel/hostel you're staying with and they should be able to organise it.

You can check out the Terror Museum too. It's not entirely authentic, but does give a great insight into Budapest's 20th Century history (plus they have a massive Soviet tank).

Definitely go for a day at one of the hot spring baths, there's loads of them across the city. They're incredible. Really nice buildings and dirt cheap for a whole day at one of them, €3 I think.

Also, check out the statue park. Pretty strange.

paul_oshea
17/06/2009, 10:08 AM
i still dont get those baths, completely over-rated if you ask me. the huns hardly ever use them either.

Thats annoying me now though, i lived with a hun for a year, and ive been to budapest and yet i never heard of any of the underground cave tours. What a balls. :evil:

brendy_éire
17/06/2009, 11:14 AM
ive been to budapest and yet i never heard of any of the underground cave tours. What a balls. :evil:

There's loads of them, mostly in Buda. Great craic.
The baths were great for the experience really.