PDA

View Full Version : Wheels coming off Shels wagon

Counting Crow
16/01/2004, 11:11 PM
...........and I don't mean Ollie Byrne's ol' doll:D

On the Shels website it is full of talk about the following......

.....apparently Ollie Cahil is leaving to go to Norway ( now isn't that a surprise ), it looks like they are going to have to sell Tolka Park ( that's 3 Dublin teams that will be homeless then :p )...

....and wait for it ..... due to their dire financial situation Ollie Byrne was in talks recently to two clubs about selling Jason Byrne ( or Jayo as they call him in Duuuuuubleeeeen ) and one of those clubs was a rival club..........could it be a southern team by chance.

He would then have to change his name from Jayo to Byrney ( just like Flynny and Georgie ).

A couple of class midfielders and I can almost feel that League title already.

Ruairi
17/01/2004, 9:28 AM
Apparantly they're selling Tolka as well.

The sun says they'll get 6 mil out of it.

Yet another homeless Dublin club? ;) :p

Storysham
17/01/2004, 11:28 AM
supposed to be groundsharing with the scum in tallaght

tiktok
18/01/2004, 2:03 PM
Selling Tolka seems to be more about ensuring the long term future of the club rather than short term money woes, I'd heard tolka would go for closer to twelve million euros to developers, which would set shels up far into the future.

as for jason byrne, i think he'd be the last player put the door if they needed to sell, i don't think he'd move from the dublin area, but if he did,
in my opinion anyway, we'd have the best attacking partnership that could possibly be put together in the EL, bar none.

Peadar
19/01/2004, 9:16 AM
Tolka is being sold alright and Shels will get somewhere in the region of €6m out of the sale.
They were finding it difficult to insure the place because it's vulnerable to flooding since it's in the Tolka valley.
In one way it's great for the clubs finances but I think a ground share with Rovers in Tallaght is a bad decision.
Ok it will mean that Tallaght actually gets finished but at what cost to the club?
They've developed a fan base in the north of the city and will now drag everyone all the way out to south county Dublin.
In my opinion a new ground in some place like the old race course or polo ground in the Phoenix Park shared by both Bohs and Shels would be a much better option.
Bohs would make a fortune on the sale of land in Phibsborough.

one_bounce
19/01/2004, 9:22 AM
good call peadar.. a ground in the phoenix park would be excellent... really accessible for fans travelling as well..
if they move to tallaght they can say good bye to their fan base cos no self respecting football fan would go out there to do anything other than feed the animals...
bohs have a really strong community fan base that theyll lose overnight...

rebelnorrie
19/01/2004, 11:55 AM
personally im delighted to see them money grabbin cnuts in a bit of financial difficulty BUT i wouldnt like to see them losin their ground/best players etc. cos then the eircom league would be takin a step beckwards instead of the positive developments of the last 2/3 years. knockin them off their high horses a bit wouldnt be a bad thing,but seein the club go to ruins is somethin i wouldnt like for the sake of d league.

paudie
19/01/2004, 12:21 PM
I think I read that Shels don't actually own Tolka but have a 99 year from Dublin corpo. In that case thay mightn't get the figures people are mentioning above.

Ollie was talking about building a stadium in finglas last I heard. Moving to Tallaght sounds like madness for Shels.

If Bohs and Shels had any sense one of their grounds would be sold and they would share the other one.

The FAI should bang their heads together on this.

Peadar
19/01/2004, 1:04 PM
Originally posted by paudie
thay mightn't get the figures people are mentioning above.

The figures are given taking into account that the ground is owned by Dublin City Councill and that the family who invested in Shels, will be getting a large portion of the sale money.