PDA

View Full Version : Finnan and Reid Injury news

wexfordman
10/06/2009, 12:48 AM
Lads i was looking for news on the recovery of both these players and S Reid hopes to take a full part in blackburns pre season training but could not really find much on finnan i know he had a knee operation in may i think and which was meant to take 3 months recovery.

if anyone has any more detailed info could the please post it here.
if these 2 were fit and well and Stephen Ireland returned from his self imposed exile i would love to see this team start our remaining qualifiers.

Given

Finnan Dunne St Ledger O'Shea

Hunt/McGeedy Ireland S Reid Duff/McGeedy

Keane Doyle:D

LFCSixty/Eighty
10/06/2009, 9:51 AM
Heard this morning that Stephen Reid took part in training yesterday and even did some ball work. So like everyone i'm keeping everything crossed he will not have any setbacks. Also, he can't wait to get back and play for us asap....if selected....now there's modesty!!!!!

paul_oshea
10/06/2009, 9:52 AM
when did he say that?

magnumpi
10/06/2009, 10:10 AM
steven reid asked his brother to make sure his yet to be organised wedding didn't coincide with WC 2010.

LEGEND

irishfan86
10/06/2009, 10:13 AM
steven reid asked his brother to make sure his yet to be organised wedding didn't coincide with WC 2010.

LEGEND

While I was reading that sentence, "put 'em under pressure" started playing in my head.

Steven Reid, legend indeed.

Really hope the rest of his career is injury free- he seems like a really decent person as well as a talented footballer.

paul_oshea
10/06/2009, 10:18 AM
of course he wouldn't want it there when it would be his biggest acheivement to date.

carloz
10/06/2009, 10:51 AM
Dodn't he get called up late to the 2002 world cup and have to fly back from a holiday he was on with his girlfriend. Great to have someone that committed. I have no doubt that were he to avoid injury he would now be one of the best central midfielders in England. There is very few central midfielders in England is swap him for

NeilMcD
10/06/2009, 11:18 AM
YOu should never have a wedding during a world cup not matter if you are a playaer or not. People will be more interested in the games than the wedding. Proposals at world cup qualifiers maybe but not weddings.

KK77
10/06/2009, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=carloz;1175407]Dodn't he get called up late to the 2002 world cup and have to fly back from a holiday he was on with his girlfriend. Great to have someone that committed.

In all fairness what player wouldn't come back from his hols to go to the World Cup.

Stuttgart88
10/06/2009, 11:27 AM
In all fairness what player wouldn't come back from his hols to go to the World Cup.

I can think of one!

shakermaker1982
10/06/2009, 11:30 AM
I'd miss my brothers wedding to play in a world cup. Hell I'd miss my own!

wexfordman
10/06/2009, 12:02 PM
any news on finnan?

tetsujin1979
10/06/2009, 12:22 PM
Dodn't he get called up late to the 2002 world cup and have to fly back from a holiday he was on with his girlfriend. Great to have someone that committed. I have no doubt that were he to avoid injury he would now be one of the best central midfielders in England. There is very few central midfielders in England is swap him for
Think I remember reading he was actually on the way to the airport, and turned on his phone to check his messages. Kennedy had to pull out of the squad and Reid got called up.

<EDIT>

from http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/internationals/kennedy-injury-opens-world-cup-door-for-reid-651297.html

Reid, with only four caps to his name, was contacted just in time as he headed for Gatwick airport yesterday en route for a holiday in Barbados to be told that he will be flying to Dublin instead for this evening's friendly against Nigeria, and onto Japan the next day.

Wolfie
10/06/2009, 12:43 PM
I hope to Christ Reid's return is a staggered process and that he's not pushed too much too quickly.

His return for the Cyprus game would be a tonic in itself.

Stuttgart88
10/06/2009, 1:22 PM
Anyone know the status of Joey O'Brien's injury?

Brendan 82
10/06/2009, 1:31 PM
Think I remember reading he was actually on the way to the airport, and turned on his phone to check his messages. Kennedy had to pull out of the squad and Reid got called up.

<EDIT>

from http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/internationals/kennedy-injury-opens-world-cup-door-for-reid-651297.html

He scored in that friendly too

superreds
11/06/2009, 6:15 AM
Surely once Reid gets back it will push Andrews further down the pecking order at Blackburn. Can't see the two of them getting into the blackburn team to be honest.

irishfan86
11/06/2009, 6:49 AM
Surely once Reid gets back it will push Andrews further down the pecking order at Blackburn. Can't see the two of them getting into the blackburn team to be honest.

Andrews has been playing at right-back at times as well, so you never know. I don't rate him as a right-back at all though, he's very easily beat 1 on 1.

elroy
11/06/2009, 8:27 AM
Hopefully the next few months until our next competitive game will see Finnan and Reid in particular make a full recovery from injury. Any word on JOSH or Dunne's injuries?

lionelhutz
11/06/2009, 4:31 PM
Lads i was looking for news on the recovery of both these players and S Reid hopes to take a full part in blackburns pre season training but could not really find much on finnan i know he had a knee operation in may i think and which was meant to take 3 months recovery.

if these 2 were fit and well and Stephen Ireland returned from his self imposed exile i would love to see this team start our remaining qualifiers.

Given

Was just going through our possible best 11 there. I believe that if we can keep the following 6 players fit for the remaining games we will qualify for the world cup;

Given
Dunne
O'Shea
Duff
S. Reid
Keane

I believe we have a number of options in the other positions and they are of similar quality. Anybody else agree?

irishfan86
11/06/2009, 8:26 PM
Was just going through our possible best 11 there. I believe that if we can keep the following 6 players fit for the remaining games we will qualify for the world cup;

Given
Dunne
O'Shea
Duff
S. Reid
Keane

I believe we have a number of options in the other positions and they are of similar quality. Anybody else agree?

I know it's been only 2 games, but I think Sledge has put himself very close to the undroppable zone.

SkStu
11/06/2009, 8:54 PM
I know it's been only 2 games, but I think Sledge has put himself very close to the undroppable zone.

Alan Kernaghan was MOTM for his first 3/4 Irish caps....

Sledge is far from undroppable and has to keep working hard on his game - stiffer tests to come.

FarBeag
11/06/2009, 9:15 PM
Agree 100%. If his partnership with Dunne is allowed to develop and I can’t see why not ,then along with Finnan and O' Shea at left back we have as strong a backline as we could hope for.

elroy
11/06/2009, 9:42 PM
He's done very well, but its not all that long ago we were championing McShane's cause after his perfromance against the Czechs. Admittedly Ledge does appear to have more skill/composure/talent/potential etc.

The most encouraging thing in the last few months is the increased viable options that are slowly becoming available to Trap.

irishultra
11/06/2009, 11:12 PM
Hopefully St.Ledger leaves the team he's with and joins a top division team. Aston Villa as a replacement for Laursen maby?

Colbert Report
12/06/2009, 4:40 AM
I don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere that Blackburn had launched a four million pound bid for him.

SkStu
12/06/2009, 3:33 PM
heard that Everton will sign him to replace Lescott.

Scram
12/06/2009, 4:38 PM

Given

Surprised you have S Ireland in there but not A Reid instead of say Hunt/McGeady i.e. if you are including players unlikely to be available/included!

Deckydee
13/06/2009, 12:35 PM
These guys will be immense if we get them back

tetsujin1979
13/06/2009, 4:04 PM
Reid: "I'll shed sicknote tag" - http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport/4421690.I_ll_shed__sicknote__tag__vows_Blackburn_R overs_midfielder/

wexfordman
15/06/2009, 6:48 PM
Surprised you have S Ireland in there but not A Reid instead of say Hunt/McGeady i.e. if you are including players unlikely to be available/included!

I think A Reid is good enough to be in the squad but not good enough to be in the starting 11. IMO A Reids best position is centre midfield and i think Ireland a S Reid are better options than him while Hunt Mcgeedy and Duff are better wingers than him althoght i would not mind to see 20 minute cameo's from him from the bench. Andy Reid does not have Hunt's pace nuiscance value or work rate or the trickery of duff or mcgeedy and is not as fast but he would have a better final ball than them.

Serb
18/06/2009, 9:09 AM
David James wrote an article in the Guardian a few days ago about physio treatment in top clubs and how they need to start taking responsiblity for recurring injuries:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jun/14/david-james-football-injuries

An interesting read with someone like Stephen Reid in mind.

NeilMcD
18/06/2009, 11:33 PM
Doint your cruciate twice is pretty tough and bad. THey have to cut a piece off to create a new cruciate ligament they usually do this just below your knee cap and replace the old one. With Reid they would have had to go to his hamstring to get the second graft. So he will have issues with his hamstring also. Fair play to him but if Lee Wilkie can do it anybody can. He is playing at the moment without a cruciate ligament. Fair play to him. I learned also that the cruciate ligament is not really a serious injury only really for atheletes and that many surgeons who do it never get it operated on.

Crosby87
18/06/2009, 11:40 PM
Doint your cruciate twice is pretty tough and bad. THey have to cut a piece off to create a new cruciate ligament they usually do this just below your knee cap and replace the old one. With Reid they would have had to go to his hamstring to get the second graft. So he will have issues with his hamstring also.

In many cases now they get the graft from an organ donor. Its unlikely they would compromise an athletes hammy when other options are available. This surgery is often preformed on worldwide athletes by the legendary Dr. James Andrews in Alabama.
Then again, I dont know where he got the surgery done. If it was over there it could have been a sheep's hamstring they used, which we will know if he starts having a spot of grass instead of energy bars at halftime.

tetsujin1979
19/06/2009, 3:43 AM
Nicky Weaver had his hamstrings replaced from a donor. Saved his career.

Colbert Report
19/06/2009, 4:52 AM
Steven Reid had his surgery in Colorado.

NeilMcD
19/06/2009, 7:13 AM
Yes I think it was done under the guindance of Steadman. Poor old Steadman had a skiiing accident and injured his hands, not great for a surgeon.

musicinmouth
25/06/2009, 8:24 PM
Any news on Finnan? Would love him to be back soon. He deserves a good and healthy season.

Colbert Report
25/06/2009, 10:19 PM
Any news on Finnan? Would love him to be back soon. He deserves a good and healthy season.

Yes, we definitely could do with Finnan having a good season before the World Cup and putting in forty plus appearances. I'd love to see him signed by Hull, he could do a good job for them if healthy I think.

irishultra
25/06/2009, 11:06 PM
Espanyol were relegated from La Liga were they?

Colbert Report
25/06/2009, 11:09 PM
Espanyol were relegated from La Liga were they?

No. They actually finished in the top half of the table after a seaon-long relegation battle.