PDA

View Full Version : 2nd stand at Tallaght

Pages : [1] 2

London-Irish
09/06/2009, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know when the second stand at Tallaght will be completed and opened? I had heard that the completion date was July but that seems unlikely now.

passinginterest
09/06/2009, 12:55 PM
End of July start of August still seems to be the plan. Foundations and all are being worked on onsite and pre-cast supposed to be arriving soon. Also going to be opened in stages if rumours are to be believed. This should probably be in the stadium development thread if someone wants to move it.

London-Irish
09/06/2009, 1:00 PM
Thanks. Do they have any timescale for building stands on the rest of the stadium?

passinginterest
09/06/2009, 1:37 PM
Thanks. Do they have any timescale for building stands on the rest of the stadium?

No as far as I know that'll only be considered if they can consistently fill the ground. It'd then depend on SDCC funding it and probably another grant from the government.

peadar1987
09/06/2009, 2:36 PM
I thought that planning permission was only granted for a capacity of something like 6500, and granting of any permission for future expansion would be subject to crowd behaviour, and the impact on the local area, so although plans exist for other stands, I don't think they can be built until further planning permission is granted.

I'm open to correction on this though.

peadar1987
09/06/2009, 2:43 PM
Granted by who?

Whoever usually grants these things, presumably.

peadar1987
09/06/2009, 2:45 PM
Whoever usually grants these things, presumably.

Sorry, that looks very sarcastic now I've posted it. I'm not an expert, but I think whatever planning office approved the building of the first two stands haven't approved the expansion in capacity past 6500, until the impact of the 6500 capacity stadium has been assessed. I'm pretty sure planning matters are handled by a national body, and not just be the local council. Again, I'm open to correction on this.

passinginterest
09/06/2009, 2:52 PM
There was loads of conditions attached to the original planning but as I understand it the original permission had expired before SDCC decided to finish the stadium. So really it's up to SDCC. The FAI seem to be keen to finish it too so they might provide funding of some sort and Rovers themselves, I'm sure, would be intersted in funding completion of the ground if they find they can sell out the 6,500 on a regular basis.

fionnsci
09/06/2009, 3:40 PM
Rovers themselves, I'm sure, would be intersted in funding completion of the ground if they find they can sell out the 6,500 on a regular basis.

That's a very big if.

passinginterest
09/06/2009, 3:46 PM
That's a very big if.

I'd go so far as to say it's highly unlikely.

I think the most likely scenario is that the FAI and SDCC will fund the completion of the stadium and the majority of Ireland's underage and B fixtures will be played there as well as FAI and League Cup finals. It makes sense to have a roughly 10,000 seat, modern, stadium in the capital for such occassions.

A face
09/06/2009, 5:12 PM
as well as FAI and League Cup finals.

League Cup yeah, but the FAI Cup Final needs 15-20k if not more. Its building up the competition we need to be doing !!! :eek:

dcfcsteve
10/06/2009, 12:22 AM
League Cup yeah, but the FAI Cup Final needs 15-20k if not more. Its building up the competition we need to be doing !!! :eek:

On recent showings, undortunately the cup doesn't need a 15-20k stadium, let alone more. Only one Cup Final in the last couple of decades has had over 20,000 at it.

Possibly the wisest thing for the FAI to do is to leave confirmation of venue as late as possible so they can second-guess which teams will make the final before confirming venue. A tricky business, but sensible none-the-less.

passinginterest
10/06/2009, 9:03 AM
The argument with the FAI cup final would be is it better to guarantee a sell out in a 10,000 seat stadium which means ticket demand and lots of hype or to have 15,000 lost in a 60,000 seat Landsdowne Road?

I'd be inclined to argue the sell out is the better option, at least for a few seasons, if a few of those sell outs produced high quality games it would build a mystique around the cup so the first final moved back to a bigger venue should produce a bumper crowd.

Longfordian
10/06/2009, 2:28 PM
On recent showings, undortunately the cup doesn't need a 15-20k stadium, let alone more. Only one Cup Final in the last couple of decades has had over 20,000 at it.

What a great word, I'm having that. A nice combo of unfortunately and undoubtedly.

peadar1987
10/06/2009, 5:34 PM
Thomond Park?

It wouldn't make sense if it was, say, a Bohs-Shams final, obviously, but it's a nice size, and could help promote the game in Limerick

Dundalkjames
10/06/2009, 5:40 PM
Thomond park is too far for teams to travel excluding maybe cork, limerick , waterford out of those 3 imo only 1 would i could see get to the final and that'd be cork.

sheao
10/06/2009, 7:31 PM
Thomond park is too far for teams to travel excluding maybe cork, limerick , waterford out of those 3 imo only 1 would i could see get to the final and that'd be cork.
Thomond would be a difficult emough ground for most loi clubs to travel to,except the ones you have mentioned and maybe Galway aswell. Looks like another fai cup final at the royal Dublin society.

pól-dcfc
10/06/2009, 8:38 PM
The RDS is a grand stadium. I enjoyed it last year, thought it was the ideal place for it.

pete
10/06/2009, 9:03 PM

We can't have teams travlling out the pale.

Did not like the RDS for our final although that was before the new roof/tent. Strangely I object to walking in mud to get to seat in a Cup final.

MeathDrog
10/06/2009, 9:45 PM
We can't have teams travlling out the pale.

Did not like the RDS for our final although that was before the new roof/tent. Strangely I object to walking in mud to get to seat in a Cup final.
Have not been since it was renovated. It was a complete dump beforehand.

galwayhoop
11/06/2009, 11:15 AM
The argument with the FAI cup final would be is it better to guarantee a sell out in a 10,000 seat stadium which means ticket demand and lots of hype or to have 15,000 lost in a 60,000 seat Landsdowne Road?

I'd be inclined to argue the sell out is the better option, at least for a few seasons, if a few of those sell outs produced high quality games it would build a mystique around the cup so the first final moved back to a bigger venue should produce a bumper crowd.

I would agree with you that it is better to have the final in a sold out venue but it wont matter as all finals from 2010 will be held in the new lansdowne (Aviva) as it is part of the sales pitch for the presumably totally under sold FAI Vantage Club seats.
Click here (http://www.faivantageclub.com/vantage_options.php) and go into drop down for any of the packages and clear as day is FAI Ford Cup final.

BTW Capacity is 50,000 not 60,000 iirc.

London-Irish
11/06/2009, 11:59 AM
Apart from Thomond and the RDS, are there any other suitable neutral stadiums that could be used?

London-Irish
11/06/2009, 12:00 PM
When is the first match at the new Lansdowne likely to be?

holidaysong
11/06/2009, 1:41 PM
When is the first match at the new Lansdowne likely to be?

Ireland are playing Argentina there next August I think, so the FAI Cup final should return there next season I guess..

thischarmingman
11/06/2009, 2:03 PM
I would agree with you that it is better to have the final in a sold out venue but it wont matter as all finals from 2010 will be held in the new lansdowne (Aviva) as it is part of the sales pitch for the presumably totally under sold FAI Vantage Club seats.
Click here (http://www.faivantageclub.com/vantage_options.php) and go into drop down for any of the packages and clear as day is FAI Ford Cup final.

BTW Capacity is 50,000 not 60,000 iirc.

Oh dear. A case of tumbleweeds stopping play could be potentially embarrassing.

peadar1987
11/06/2009, 5:35 PM
Depends, if it's only the second or third game there, you could still have a few thousand people who turn up just to have a gander at the stadium. It would b great for the two clubs involved anyway.

galwayhoop
12/06/2009, 9:24 AM
Depends, if it's only the second or third game there, you could still have a few thousand people who turn up just to have a gander at the stadium. It would b great for the two clubs involved anyway.

i'm sure the first final will be fine, as you say curiosity and all should bring in an extra few thousand (not 20 or 30 thousand extra though).

on-going though lansdowns/aviva is far too big for the cup final and the crowd will be lost in it. we will have an annual farce where only one stand is opened and that will prob only be sparsely populated.

peadar1987
12/06/2009, 9:33 AM
I'd say if two well-supported clubs like Cork and Shams made the final they'd bring 25000+ between them, and maybe 7 or 8000 curious people would show up, although that's a complete guess.

That's probably a best-case scenario, and the stadium is still only half-full. If we get a Bray-Longford final there'd probably be under 10000 there.

Now I think about it harder it doesn't seem to make as much sense.

Still, it's a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't", because it would probably be as damaging to have a final in a half-full stadium as it would to distance the image of the LOI from the fantastic facility at Lansdowne Road. The last thing we need is a further separation in the view of the public between the LOI and, for want of a better phrase "top class" football.

Black and White
12/06/2009, 5:13 PM
Ireland are playing Argentina there next August I think, so the FAI Cup final should return there next season I guess..

Wil the cup final take palcethere though, 3/4 of that stadium would thus be empty as you would only really get in and around 10000-15000 at it!There would be absolutely no atmosphere at it.

holidaysong
13/06/2009, 12:10 PM
Wil the cup final take palcethere though, 3/4 of that stadium would thus be empty as you would only really get in and around 10000-15000 at it!There would be absolutely no atmosphere at it.

Just have the lower tiers open and it'd be grand. There was a great atmosphere at the old Lansdowne for the Cork - Drogheda final in 2005 I think it was..

MeathDrog
13/06/2009, 12:37 PM
So will there be a temporary stand for the upcoming friendly matches?

A face
13/06/2009, 12:59 PM
Just have the lower tiers open and it'd be grand. There was a great atmosphere at the old Lansdowne for the Cork - Drogheda final in 2005 I think it was..

Yeah, about 26,000 there that day. Its was unbelievably cold though that day, which didn't help the atmosphere but it was still great.

thischarmingman
13/06/2009, 2:24 PM
Yeah, about 26,000 there that day. Its was unbelievably cold though that day, which didn't help the atmosphere but it was still great.

They were absolutely Arctic conditions. Great crowd though and a decent game.

holidaysong
13/06/2009, 11:35 PM

I was in the Cork end that day and was taken is as an honorary langer.. :D

London-Irish
06/07/2009, 11:19 AM
Any more news about the 2nd stand at Tallaght? Will it be up for the friendly games?

Duggie
06/07/2009, 11:25 AM
Any more news about the 2nd stand at Tallaght? Will it be up for the friendly games?

not the finished one there working on it now. arent they putting in a temp stand for the games.

Dunny
06/07/2009, 12:25 PM
Pic taken on Friday:
http://img33.imageshack.us/i/dsc0631u.jpg/

Duggie
06/07/2009, 1:24 PM
Pic taken on Friday:

ya seen that, it would be class if they did all 4 sides like the one thats there now.

centre mid
06/07/2009, 1:26 PM
Pic taken on Friday:

It looks smaller than the main stand, what is its capacity?

Duggie
06/07/2009, 1:34 PM
It looks smaller than the main stand, what is its capacity?

supposed to be 3000 like the other one. wonder are they having the curves on the roof of the stand like the other one. looks good.

London-Irish
16/09/2009, 12:46 PM
Anymore news on when the 2nd stand at Tallaght will be completed please?

fergalr
16/09/2009, 12:49 PM
Anymore news on when the 2nd stand at Tallaght will be completed please?
Its completed and has been in use for the past 3 or 4 games there.

The Betting Man
16/09/2009, 12:54 PM
Its completed and has been in use for the past 3 or 4 games there.

Not the whole of the Stand is open as far as I know

fergalr
16/09/2009, 12:56 PM
Not the whole of the Stand is open as far as I know

At Pats game all was fully in use except for edge of the section closest to the Square and even there was somewhat in use because of the congestion in the rest of the ground.

fergalr
16/09/2009, 12:59 PM
Some good shots of the new stand here (see the photos of the Ultra's display and those of Twigg's penalty).
http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/component/phocagallery/category/342-v-st-pats-040909

London-Irish
16/09/2009, 1:03 PM
Thanks for the info lads. Apart from the Real Madrid game, what is the biggest crowd Rovers have had so far at Tallaght? And what is the timescale for a third stand to be built?

fergalr
16/09/2009, 1:10 PM
Thanks for the info lads. Apart from the Real Madrid game, what is the biggest crowd Rovers have had so far at Tallaght? And what is the timescale for a third stand to be built?

5,500 or so for the Pats game with quite a few disppointed fans outside when tickets sold out.

No timescale for future development. I guess If Rovers continue to regularly get capacity crowds then SDCC will have to look at building a 3rd stand - at least we know know they can throw a decent one up in a couple of months.

Interesting, the Bohs game on Oct 2nd would easilty get a crowd matching the Real Madrid game if capacity allowed.

Steve Bruce
16/09/2009, 3:49 PM
It's amazing what a permanent home does to a club. The attendances have doubled. Although this could also be because the clubs results are very strong as well.

sonofstan
16/09/2009, 4:17 PM
It's amazing what a permanent home does to a club. The attendances have doubled. Although this could also be because the clubs results are very strong as well.

Well, it's where the new home is as well - Tallaght is the size of Derry, and, until now, without much in the way of local distractions.

Mr A
16/09/2009, 4:39 PM
Does criminality count as a distraction?