PDA

View Full Version : Hi lads, new on here

Pages : [1] 2

greenteam
16/01/2004, 3:26 PM
Just want to say hello and ask what,if anything maybe not a good thing to post.
I´m a Hibs fan living in Germany for about 19 years.
With our Irish roots it would be nice to debate and take the mince with some Irish lads for a change and learn a little about Irish football.

All the best Craig:D

greenteam
16/01/2004, 3:33 PM
Speak tae mi:D

Pablo
16/01/2004, 3:48 PM
well you could start a thread by saying what great Oirish teams Celtic and hibs are. You're guaranteed a great response :)

greenteam
16/01/2004, 3:53 PM
OK.........................Hibs are a great Irish team.
Celtic are ok, but I´m not a Celtic fan so its hard to say anything good about a team I dont support.
You know what I mean:D

DruggyDrog
16/01/2004, 3:55 PM
Or you could give the lad a chance and talk about football, which is obviously why he registered on the site.

As you live in Germany, Craig, what is the level of football like below the Bundesliga, and how many divisions of full-time professional football do they have?

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:00 PM
There are 2 leagues.
The best of the 2nd league are Aachen........great to watch.
After that you get regional leagues.................same as Scottish 2nd, 3rd Div teams IMHO.
Aachen aint top, but the best to watch.
Whats it like with youre league m8.

Pablo
16/01/2004, 4:01 PM
Originally posted by DruggyDrog
Or you could give the lad a chance and talk about football, which is obviously why he registered on the site.

As you live in Germany, Craig, what is the level of football like below the Bundesliga, and how many divisions of full-time professional football do they have?

get a sense of humour man. Jeez your inhaling too much illegal diesal fumes man :)

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:02 PM
Whats that got to do with Aachen?????????:D

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:03 PM
How are Cork City doing this year m8?

Pablo
16/01/2004, 4:05 PM
Originally posted by greenteam

Whats it like with youre league m8.

where to start........ our league is dominated (unfortunately imo) by theDublin Clubs. Its Either going to be us or Longford that will break the dominant teams. i'm biased but we have a chance this season

Pablo
16/01/2004, 4:07 PM
How are Cork City doing this year m8?

its close season now. we finished 4th last year. we are well supported, the best in ireland, so we should do better. its a big year. we seem to be the only club with money available so fingers crossed

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:08 PM
Dominated............now thats a word I know well as a Hibs fan:D
Wish youre team all the best.

DruggyDrog
16/01/2004, 4:10 PM
I would be of the opinion that Hibs are a great Scottish team, who originally had links to Ireland and the Irish, whereas Celtic are a great Scottish team who made more of an effort to maintain those links over the years. But neither are Irish!

Both sets of fans, however, are amongst the best about (and I'm on about the genuine fans, not the barstoolers who think the clubs are more Irish than they are)

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:11 PM
What sort of numbers do you get at a Cork game?
We average about 8000...........not a lot for a team 17 mil in debt.:mad:

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:13 PM
Fair point DruggyDrog.
In my oppinion Hibs are a Scottish club with an Irish background.
No more no less.

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:16 PM
But we are proud of the fact that the man who made Hibs what they are had a hell of a fight to do so. So yes we are a bit proud of our Irish roots........in a different sort of way than you may think...............hard to explain

Pablo
16/01/2004, 4:18 PM
What sort of numbers do you get at a Cork game?
We average about 8000...........not a lot for a team 17 mil in debt.:mad:

we average around 4000 but that can go up to 9-10000 when the sun shines!

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:20 PM
The way we play at the momment I would go for less than that next year.
By the way a plan for an Ireland tour is on in the summer............looking forward to it:D

DruggyDrog
16/01/2004, 4:21 PM
Understand where you are coming from greenteam.

Pablo, I didn't know it was illegal diesel, thats why I have no control over my reactions!

The mighty Drogs have increased their average attendance from about 8 people to about 2000-2500, getiing better all the time. Not bad for a supposed yo-yo club (although we will shortly be entering our 3rd top flight campaign in a row, almost unheard of!!)

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:24 PM
diesel sucks and petrol gives you a headache.:D

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:25 PM
What is youre club DruggyDrog (cant make it out)?

I know nothing, its fair to say:D

Pablo
16/01/2004, 4:28 PM
is Gerry McCabe involved with the coaching at hibs greenteam? its either there Or Kilmarnock i can't remember?

A Cork CityLegend of yesteryear!

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:33 PM
You know, I dont know.
Not too happy with our coaching staff at the momment after they all left and went to Rangers:mad: It went down hill. Our average age player is about 23.

Living here I cant keep up with things like that.

If he is any good I would say Killie cause we seem to have a problem with that at the momment.

Pablo
16/01/2004, 4:47 PM
You know, I dont know.
Not too happy with our coaching staff at the momment after they all left and went to Rangers:mad: It went down hill. Our average age player is about 23.

Living here I cant keep up with things like that.

If he is any good I would say Killie cause we seem to have a problem with that at the momment.

about 12 years ago he was brilliant!

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:48 PM
We could do with the experiance m8.:D

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:51 PM
Oh yea............forgot to mention.......cant spell to save my life, so bare with me:D

greenteam
16/01/2004, 4:56 PM
Anyone want to visit my side of life its www.hibsforum.co.uk
Well worth a look. The forums a bit boring because we are crap at the momment, but worth a look.;)

greenteam
16/01/2004, 5:25 PM
What does "moved" mean?
I aint done something wrong again have I????????????:rolleyes:

Pauro 76
17/01/2004, 5:22 PM
Greenteam, Im a Longford Town fan, was living in Edinburgh during the summer, back home now, and when i was living there, lived on street next to Easter Road! Fine stadium, what you reckon to Hearts-Hibs merger rumourS? cos of dodgy bar working hours, sadly never got to witness a Hibs game but hoping to get there eventually... as far as the Hibs fans i spoke to duing my time there, you seem like a sound bunch...

liam88
17/01/2004, 7:21 PM
What is youre club DruggyDrog (cant make it out)?

He supports Drogheda Utd.
Isn't it fair to say Hibs and Hearts will never merge?
Never been to one of the Edinburgh derby's but from what I've heard the Hearts fans can be quite anti-Irish, anti-Catholic. Just what I've heard though?
Also been described as "The Old Frim of Edinburgh", what do you think of this ;)
Liam

greenteam
18/01/2004, 7:49 AM
Hibs and Hearts will never merge IMHO.
Hearts fans are not anti Irish I wouldnt say, they only seem like that to wind us Hibs fans up. They aint too bad most of the time.
I can see Hearts having to ground share with us soon though as there ground is not legal for European games and they are something like 20 mil in debt and getting worse. Its said they might have to move to Murryfield which would be a nightmare for them.
Hope you get to see them someday PAURO 7, but a bit of advice............wait a season or two till they sort themselves out. It would be a bit dissapointing for you at the momment.:D

Mukadua
18/01/2004, 9:51 AM
Originally posted by Pablo
is Gerry McCabe involved with the coaching at hibs greenteam? its either there Or Kilmarnock i can't remember?

A Cork CityLegend of yesteryear!

Yes he is one of the coaching staff and a good guy.

Mukadua
18/01/2004, 10:00 AM
Hibs and Hearts will never merge IMHO.
Hearts fans are not anti Irish I wouldnt say, they only seem like that to wind us Hibs fans up. They aint too bad most of the time.
I can see Hearts having to ground share with us soon though as there ground is not legal for European games and they are something like 20 mil in debt and getting worse. Its said they might have to move to Murryfield which would be a nightmare for them.
Hope you get to see them someday PAURO 7, but a bit of advice............wait a season or two till they sort themselves out. It would be a bit dissapointing for you at the momment.:D

I would disagree with my esteemed Hibby mate.

There is a small but vociferous element of the Hearts support who are Anti Irish, Anti Catholic and Fascist/ BNP/ Combat 18 (always has been).:eek:

As a wee pointer, the 'Billy Boys' is still a very popular song at the Big Pink Bus Shelter (Tynecastle) although the 'decent' jambos (oxymoron #1) will tell you they shout 'Hibee Blood' not 'Fenian Blood' they are up to their knees in........go figure??

Their official club song sung to the tune of the Auld Orange Flute (although I am being a wee bit naughty about that one :D) and their away support have a penchant for the old Rangers number 'I was born under a Union Jack' (Never made any sense that song and murders the Lee Marvin Classic in my eyes). :D

Today Celtic play Hearts in Edinburgh. It is rapidly becoming as bitter a match as when Aberdeen and the Huns play. Bigotry eminating from both stands, fighting in the streets etc. All live on BBC Scotland in the 21st Century!!

greenteam
18/01/2004, 2:55 PM
Ok, agree there is a number of Hearts fans that are of, lets say, of a more biggot minded way of thinking. However I would not put the Hearts support as a whole in this catogary, a percentage, but not more than that.
If this problem has got worse over the last decade or so then I wont know about it too much, so I´ll admit defeat in sticking up for our Gorgie neighbours and let Mukadua tell you more on that subject.

greenteam
18/01/2004, 3:10 PM
Also just read that the ref at todays game was hit by a coin from the Hearts end, so maybe it has got worse:eek:
1-0 Celtic by the way.
With the debt they are in I bet the chairman is wishing more people would throw coins onto the pitch.:D

A face
18/01/2004, 5:24 PM
I would be of the opinion that Hibs are a great Scottish team, who originally had links to Ireland and the Irish, whereas Celtic are a great Scottish team who made more of an effort to maintain those links over the years. But neither are Irish!

Aside from opinion .... is it true to say that Hibs were The Irish club of old and maintained those links until they started slipping down the table and all the Irish players start to move to the new OIrish club ... Sell-Thick thus Sell-Thick magicing all these Oirish links out of thin air.

Or am I going straight to hell for even suggesting it ??

Oh do tell !! :rolleyes:

liam88
18/01/2004, 10:21 PM
ok-you don't like Celtic and ya can't spell, we get your point face.
Celtic is a great way for us Irish stuck in Britain to express our Irishness, I've said it a million times before.
To be honest mate, 99.9% of people on this forum either like Celtic or they don't and their not moving from that.
Very few are at the stage of,
"I'm not quite sure but mabye a few more anti-Celtic comment will make my mind up for me".
In short, your wasting your time slagging off Celtic.

(In your burning of all Celtic fans are you going to include to Wolfetones, if you are then tell me and I can buy tickets to one of their last concerts before you kill them all :rolleyes: )

A face
18/01/2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by liam88
Very few are at the stage of, "I'm not quite sure but mabye a few more anti-Celtic comment will make my mind up for me".
In short, your wasting your time slagging off Celtic.

I know .... i agree with ya ..... but i just cant give up the hope that i could convert at least one or two :D

(In your burning of all Celtic fans are you going to include to Wolfetones, if you are then tell me and I can buy tickets to one of their last concerts before you kill them all :rolleyes: )

Burn the Wolfetones .... god no .... they are a great band. Legends even ..... great stuff the tones like !! :D

Mukadua
19/01/2004, 8:14 AM
Originally posted by A face
Aside from opinion .... is it true to say that Hibs were The Irish club of old and maintained those links until they started slipping down the table and all the Irish players start to move to the new OIrish club ... Sell-Thick thus Sell-Thick magicing all these Oirish links out of thin air.

Yup, true. Although our treasurer ran off to a new life in North America with the funds which didn't help.

DruggyDrog
19/01/2004, 11:47 AM

Hibs were set up by Irish businessmen, who then tried to restrict the numbers of irish joining (basically because most Irish were toopoor!).

Celtic were set up for the poor. Big difference in terms of becoming part of a community. The links between Ireland and the east end of glasgow go back way before any football club was founded, so the links existed befoer 1888. As has already been said, people aren't going to change their minds on this issue, so I'll just leave it at that!!

Schumi
19/01/2004, 12:49 PM
Its said they [Hearts] might have to move to Murryfield which would be a nightmare for them. I heard something about that but surely Murrayfield would be far too big! It has a capacity of something like 70,000 doesn't it?!

Beavis
19/01/2004, 2:27 PM
Don't Queens Park play in front of an empty Hampden every week?Quite demoralising for the team I'm sure

Mukadua
19/01/2004, 3:34 PM
Hibs were set up by Irish businessmen, who then tried to restrict the numbers of irish joining (basically because most Irish were toopoor!).

Celtic were set up for the poor. Big difference in terms of becoming part of a community. The links between Ireland and the east end of glasgow go back way before any football club was founded, so the links existed befoer 1888. As has already been said, people aren't going to change their minds on this issue, so I'll just leave it at that!!

What a load of misconstrued madey up pish. If anything, it was the other way around. Hibernian were found by Catholic Priests, under the auspices of the CYMS, Celtic were formed by Catholic Businessmen who saw a good idea and copied it, signing Hibs players and even the Hibs supporting Brother Walfrid in their first 'season'.

Did you know, Brother Walfrid and his charitable arm lasted only a very short time at Celtic?

'Restrict the Irish membership', that is a laughable and totally ridiculous stsatement. Go on, tell me where you got that one. The founders of my club were, to a man, Irish Catholics living in Scotland. Can Celtic say the same?

SlovSam
19/01/2004, 6:17 PM

http://www.foot.ie/t11886.htm

I'm sorry to destroy you're rather confused version of history but there is a brief description of Hibs origins on this other thread.
The thought that Hibs were set up by Irish businessman, who then decided to restrict the numbers of 'poor Irish' is quite laughable:D

I'd agree Celtic were indeed set up in 1888 for the noble reason of feeding the hungry poor of the East End of Glasgow, though by the time Scottish football went professional in 1890, Celtic were a limited liability company where profit and loss was the dominant factor.

I see nothing inherently wrong in that, as by the time Hibs were re-established in 1893, they were also a limited liabilty company.

Neither club, as I can see can claim any right to some 'moral high ground', they both just adapted to professional football and the change in society in late Victorian Britain.

liam88
19/01/2004, 8:11 PM

[B]

Burn the Wolfetones .... god no .... they are a great band. Legends even ..... great stuff the tones like !! :D

So you're not going to burn all Celtic fans then :rolleyes:

greenteam
20/01/2004, 5:28 AM
REf murryfield.
Yea far too big, but gives us Hibs fans a laugh at the thought of it.
Serves them right. They took the pish when we were told we might have to move ground and go to Straiton.:D

Beavis
20/01/2004, 12:04 PM
Just remembered something to be thankful to Hibs for:

They gave us GARY MACKAY!(who sent us to our first major tournament,Euro 88, with his injury time goal for Scotland against Bulgaria in Sofia)

Mukadua
21/01/2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Beavis
Just remembered something to be thankful to Hibs for:

They gave us GARY MACKAY!(who sent us to our first major tournament,Euro 88, with his injury time goal for Scotland against Bulgaria in Sofia)

He was a Hearts ******* mate, what part of England are you from?;)

Thank us for Nick Colgan, Fish, Dougray Scott, the Proclaimers, John Leslie, Findlay Quaye or Irvine Welsh and many many more. All are Hibs Men.:D

greenteam
21/01/2004, 7:16 AM
Aint Fish a Hearts fan? Im sure he is!!!:confused:

Mukadua
21/01/2004, 8:13 AM
Aint Fish a Hearts fan? Im sure he is!!!:confused:

Derek Dick is very much a Hibby and can be seen at Hibs games whenever he is home in Scotland. He would batter you for a comment like that!!:D