PDA

View Full Version : Kilbane 6 SEPTEMBER 1997-2009???

Pages : [1] 2

limerickblue
08/06/2009, 11:28 AM
Kilbane has been a great servant to Irish football over the years, He has been involved a played a major part in many of our best remembered Irish games trought the years.
But honestly is this a time when the Achill island native has to consider his international future, I am begining to feel sorry for him, nearly every match i see him playing left back for Ireland.
I Know i am going to get slated for saying this, but we can surely fined better solution at left back, no disrespect to kilbane as he is everything us fans wants to see in terms of commitment and passion but im afraid to say that the quality is not there anymore.
i would have no problem him being brought to the world cup if we make it, but i believe as a spectator not a player.
Thank you for the years Kevin

drummerboy
08/06/2009, 11:36 AM
Trapp is no fool and I reckon he is now looking at an alternative. While Killer was unfortunate with the goal in Croker, he was culpible for the one on Saturday night. Like you I think he has been a wonderful servant to Ireland and will be sorry to see him go but I would be surprised to see him start against Cyprus next autumn.

Crosby87
08/06/2009, 11:37 AM
Its tough being on the road and playing with a young guy for the first time basically....You do not have to retire b/c of that.

Colbert Report
08/06/2009, 11:55 AM
Get off Kilbane's back. He might not be the most skillful player but he shows up and gives it his all every match for Ireland, which sadly is more than you can say for most players these days.

We simply don't have any other left backs available to us. Steve Finnan will hopefully be able to return for the three remaining matches which will drop Kilbane to the bench. If Duff, Hunt, or McGeady are injured then he automatically becomes the first choice backup for the left wing position.

Fizzer
08/06/2009, 12:10 PM
Great servant for Ireland over the years, terrific attitude 100% commitment every time. Unfortunately, looked really badly out of his depth on Saturday, lost track of the crosses that were allowed to come in from his side and was at fault for the goal. We don't appear to have a ready-made replacement though, unless Finnan returns and JOSH fills in at left full.

Den Perry
08/06/2009, 12:11 PM
Get off Kilbane's back. He might not be the most skillful player but he shows up and gives it his all every match for Ireland, which sadly is more than you can say for most players these days.

We simply don't have any other left backs available to us. Steve Finnan will hopefully be able to return for the three remaining matches which will drop Kilbane to the bench. If Duff, Hunt, or McGeady are injured then he automatically becomes the first choice backup for the left wing position.

Get real Colbert. I like Kilbane, his loyalty, committment etc and he appears a very humble guy. However, he is playing very poorly at the moment and needs to be dropped I'm afraid. Personally, I feel that he always played better as a left back than a winger / left sided midfielder. Never rated him there at all

Sumac
08/06/2009, 12:25 PM
Why would he retire - Loves playing for his country and is picked. There is no need to retire, when he is no longer needed, he won't be picked

Dodge
08/06/2009, 12:33 PM
Why would he retire - Loves playing for his country and is picked. There is no need to retire, when he is no longer needed, he won't be picked

Spot on.

jbyrne
08/06/2009, 12:49 PM
not playing his natural position and is doing the best he can. he knows he's playing out of position but as usual just gets on with it with no moaning and gives his best. if a better option is available then great but until then the man deserves our full support. came out and held his hand up 100% for the goal which underlines the kind of lad he is

limerickblue
08/06/2009, 12:56 PM
albeit a great servant, i think he should be made ambasador for irish football or something, see can he get certain people ack into the squad.
but i think it is his 96 caps which are pushing him into the team, squad player no problem with that, but LB needs to be sorted, i must repeat this is not a hate campaign aganst kevin kilbane, he is one who us irish fans love for his commitment to the cause but we can not afford to be losing goals and dropping points from the left anymore.

Kevin if you do read this No hard feelings buddy, you where a class act

jbyrne
08/06/2009, 1:26 PM
you where a class act

isnt he only 32? i dont think his legs are gone yet. its more that he is out of position

gspain
08/06/2009, 1:45 PM
He hasn't missed a competitive game since 1999.

For most if not all of those 10 years we've had some fans on his back
saying he isn't good enough. He does a huge amount of work that goes
unnoticed. He had a solid game on saturday apart from the error.

Killer is one of my all time favourite players because his commitment has never ever been less than 100%. He gives of his best every time. We can't ask for more than that.

Those who wish to discard him please name a credible alternative.

bishbash
08/06/2009, 1:55 PM

Killer is one of my all time favourite players because his commitment has never ever been less than 100%. He gives of his best every time. We can't ask for more than that.

It might be a small thing to some people but to see kilbane sing the national anthem earns him respect in my book . how many english born players come over and sing the anthem? as for an alternative hopefully in the future someone like o'dea might do a job.

Junior
08/06/2009, 2:00 PM

I agree with all the post apart from "he was solid apart from the error". He did ok, but time and time again he did not close down the right winger and prevent crosses getting in. That was his job and he wasnt great at it in all honesty. We were fortunate that the CB pairing dealt with almost everything that came in to the box.

jbyrne
08/06/2009, 2:12 PM
I agree with all the post apart from "he was solid apart from the error". He did ok, but time and time again he did not close down the right winger and prevent crosses getting in. That was his job and he wasnt great at it in all honesty. We were fortunate that the CB pairing dealt with almost everything that came in to the box.

maybe i read it wrong on sat but it seemed to me that when the ball went wide down his side he pulled into the ctre and hunt seemed to be given the responsibility of closing down the cross

Junior
08/06/2009, 2:56 PM
maybe i read it wrong on sat but it seemed to me that when the ball went wide down his side he pulled into the ctre and hunt seemed to be given the responsibility of closing down the cross

On occasion yes that was probably the case but plenty of times Hunt had the advancing fullback to keep an eye on. There is no point Kilbane being in no mans land - he should have been closing down the man with the ball IMO.

jbyrne
08/06/2009, 3:02 PM
On occasion yes that was probably the case but plenty of times Hunt had the advancing fullback to keep an eye on. There is no point Kilbane being in no mans land - he should have been closing down the man with the ball IMO.

depends on team orders though

johnnyc
08/06/2009, 3:36 PM
Viva Kilbane!

rambler14
08/06/2009, 3:36 PM
You can't drop Killer he's like a little puppy......you have to love him!

Regardless I think he should still be in the team as his heart and passion for the jersey make him deserving of a spot.

Zinedine Kilbane.

donalmcdonagh
08/06/2009, 5:49 PM
Viva Kilbane!

Couldnt agree more.........

Limerick Blue this thread has to be one of the biggest insults you could possibly pay to Kevin Kilbane. Call yourself an Ireland fan. If you want to analyse it Kilbane maybe one mis judgment in the match, if we defend for 60 minutes of every game I gurantee we will concede via a silly mistake again and again. Dunne made a misjudgment on a seperate occasion but Petrov couldnt finish his dinner. Against Bulgaria at home, McGeady never tracked back and the ball hit Kilbane before he knew it.

Get a grip man, your way of the mark. The riduculus posts on here really annoy me sometimes. What would we do without Kilbane, play Duff left back and then ask for him to be sacked when he makes a mistake coz he is not a full back.
Im glad some people had the sense to not agree with you.
I'd say to you we can count ourselves lucky Kilbane has not retired.

ofjames
08/06/2009, 6:25 PM
He's been a bit of a liability at left back for the last few games but he was still our best (even only) option there for the last few games.

I cursed him on Saturday after his terrible error but I almost immediately felt bad about it. The guy has been a smashing player for us and is a credit to the country and tried his heart out every time he's set foot on a pitch for Ireland. Noone can argue with that.

We still need him, and he deserves to bow out at his second World Cup with a century of caps under his belt.

I think he is a legend and we will miss him when he is gone.

irishfan86
08/06/2009, 6:50 PM
Like many other times in his Ireland career, he's filling a plug in a problem position for us.

He was probably our worst player last match, but I'm not entirely sure if there was a better option for left back available for us to select.

It wasn't just the error that was the problem, as others have mentioned, he didn't close down the winger at all, allowing them to cross the ball in time and time again.

I'd like to see Nolan get more time in the Australia friendly- I've seen him play for Preston a couple of times and he looks impressive.

Bottom line, I hope we find a better option, but until we do, there's no point dropping him.

geysir
08/06/2009, 6:52 PM
From a football perspective, I'd like to see O'Shea at LB and Kelly looks good enough for RB. I think this is the next obvious step with the back 4, seeing as Ledger has become a made man.
KK is mature enough to play his part elsewhere, where and when needed.

Colie
08/06/2009, 7:29 PM
I'm only 28 so I can't remember too far back but he's 2nd only to McGrath for me. God remember the amount of tracking back he did in 2002 covering for Hartey; he basically played the whole wing from back to front. Not time for him to go anywhere yet in my opinion. I think he still does a job at full back. Maybe we'll phase Foley in over the couple of years after S.A.

Stuttgart88
08/06/2009, 8:49 PM
I love Kilbane & everything he's about. But boy do I wish we had a proper left back!

ofjames
08/06/2009, 8:51 PM
I love Kilbane & everything he's about. But boy do I wish we had a proper left back!

my sentiments exactly

danonion
08/06/2009, 8:59 PM
A bad mistake but who's to say Damien Delaney wouldn't have made three?

irishfan86
08/06/2009, 9:16 PM
A bad mistake but who's to say Damien Delaney wouldn't have made three?

Yeah, I haven't been too impressed by Delaney to be honest. He's somewhere between a full-back and a centre-half. Can do a job in both places but not particularly well.

Not sure he has the pace to be an international fullback.

Kilbane in my opinion has all of the physical attributes to be a good fullback, but perhaps it's too late for him to learn the mental and tactical aspects of the position.

youngirish
08/06/2009, 9:27 PM

I have great respect for the man but think that he's a weak link that's waiting to be exploited in an otherwise fairly solid defence. As I suggested earlier I'd drop him for Finnan when/if he's fit and move JOS to left back. Failing that if Foley performs well next season in the Premiership I'd play him instead again with JOS switching sides.

Stuttgart88
08/06/2009, 9:43 PM
an otherwise fairy solid defence1 fairy defender to another:

Watch your behind

Ooooooh your are a one aren't you?

donalmcdonagh
08/06/2009, 10:10 PM
Everyone seems to think that St Ledger is a pre mould international class centre back that is ready now to jump in away to Cyprus, Italy and Montenegro. Is this not being a bit presumtious. He has only played 180 min, I agree he has done excellently but that was against a Nigerian second team and against bulgaria in an extremely well guarded Irish Defence. Maybe its a perfect setting for him to settle in

NeilMcD
08/06/2009, 10:24 PM
St Ledgetr was great but yes there is an elemet as no one is better than the man who has not made a mistake playing for Ireland even if its because they have not played enough. Saying that he was great on sat.

irishfan86
08/06/2009, 10:25 PM
Everyone seems to think that St Ledger is a pre mould international class centre back that is ready now to jump in away to Cyprus, Italy and Montenegro. Is this not being a bit presumtious. He has only played 180 min, I agree he has done excellently but that was against a Nigerian second team and against bulgaria in an extremely well guarded Irish Defence. Maybe its a perfect setting for him to settle in

It doesn't get much more challenging than what he had to face against Bulgaria. He's passed that test with flying colours, and was also impressive against Nigeria.

While he is still inexperienced internationally, and will probably make a few mistakes along the way, the centre-half position alongside Dunne is his to lose IMO.

Den Perry
09/06/2009, 9:22 AM

How can you possibly say that he had a solid game on Sat apart from the error? He was terrible...and has been in four matches of this campaign? Credible alternative? John O'Shea if I had to. Put Finnan(if fit) at right back...or stephen kelly at rb and move o'shea to left

Den Perry
09/06/2009, 9:24 AM
It might be a small thing to some people but to see kilbane sing the national anthem earns him respect in my book . how many english born players come over and sing the anthem? as for an alternative hopefully in the future someone like o'dea might do a job.

Have to say that always impressed me also. also it appears he sings it in Irish, not English which is even more impressive that he went to the trouble to learn it

Den Perry
09/06/2009, 9:26 AM
You can't drop Killer he's like a little puppy......you have to love him!

Regardless I think he should still be in the team as his heart and passion for the jersey make him deserving of a spot.

Zinedine Kilbane.

On that basis we'll bring back Mick McCarthy so...for the love of God:rolleyes:

Den Perry
09/06/2009, 9:28 AM

Limerick Blue this thread has to be one of the biggest insults you could possibly pay to Kevin Kilbane. Call yourself an Ireland fan. If you want to analyse it Kilbane maybe one mis judgment in the match, if we defend for 60 minutes of every game I gurantee we will concede via a silly mistake again and again. Dunne made a misjudgment on a seperate occasion but Petrov couldnt finish his dinner. Against Bulgaria at home, McGeady never tracked back and the ball hit Kilbane before he knew it.

Get a grip man, your way of the mark. The riduculus posts on here really annoy me sometimes. What would we do without Kilbane, play Duff left back and then ask for him to be sacked when he makes a mistake coz he is not a full back.

This is a forum...people are entitled to their opinions. Kilbane has had a shocking campaign and if you think we are going to qualify using sentimentality then you are very wrong

limerickblue
09/06/2009, 11:39 AM

I have nothing against kilbane, he is up there with my all time favorite players for Ireland Mcgrath, Keane, Given , Kilbane, but im just saying that maybe it is time for a change, Kilbane would probally tell you this himself. I would probally but him in midfield ahead of andrews, but its never going to happen. Also realisticly because of the serveice Kilbane has given to Ireland over the years, I would be suprised if he is ever dropped until the day he retires or his legs give up.

"All of you are going to make mistakes in todays game lads, but just remember that nobody goes out there to make a mistake, encouragement is the key.but if you are the f****ing one who makes the mistake that loses us the cup final, you will be walking home"
A comment from our manager to us before, the under 14 cup final a few years back, what a legend.
But what im going to say is that if we fail to qualofy are we going to look back at the bulgaria games and say what if. I am am not blaming kilbane for the o.g, just butting it in perspective, Sure if our 2 front men where scoring a goal a game each we wouldnt have to worry about making one mistake a game.

limerickblue
09/06/2009, 11:41 AM
How can you possibly say that he had a solid game on Sat apart from the error? He was terrible...and has been in four matches of this campaign? Credible alternative? John O'Shea if I had to. Put Finnan(if fit) at right back...or stephen kelly at rb and move o'shea to left

They are profesional footallers we are talking about here, I would leave o'shea at the right, and tell stephan kelly that he is playing left back, if he cant use his left boot, im afraid to say he shoulnt be a profesinal footballer

Sorry for the rant

Sunny Jim
09/06/2009, 11:49 AM
Have to say that always impressed me also. also it appears he sings it in Irish, not English which is even more impressive that he went to the trouble to learn it

Kilbane doesn't have a word of Irish, however, he did go to the considerable trouble of learning the anthem phonetically when he was playing for the under 21's.

gspain
09/06/2009, 12:37 PM
Kilbane doesn't have a word of Irish, however, he did go to the considerable trouble of learning the anthem phonetically when he was playing for the under 21's.

He also did Irish dancing as a kid.

Wolfie
09/06/2009, 12:39 PM

He also did Irish dancing as a kid.

Lets not make a song and dance about it, lads.

as_i_say
09/06/2009, 12:40 PM
How many caps has Kev got now-must be v close to the 100. Was painful to see him mess up so badly for the goal. If we dont qualify for the WC I wouldnt be surprised if he quit at that stage but he would be missed-great servant to Irish soccer.

Dodge
09/06/2009, 1:03 PM
For the record I thought St Ledger was as culpible for the goal on Saturday.

kingdom hoop
09/06/2009, 1:12 PM
For the record I thought St Ledger was as culpible for the goal on Saturday.

Kilbane said he called it though - “It wasn’t so much that I didn’t realise he was there,” he said. “It’s just, I’ve called to Sean and then I’ve just allowed it to come through me." (from Irish Times yesterday - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0608/1224248284362.html)

Arguably Ledger should've cleared it anyway but if you get a call you can't fault him as much as Kilbane, more 80/20 I'd say.

Dodge
09/06/2009, 1:16 PM
Sorry didn't mean to write "as culpable". I wanted to say that St ledger as at fault, as well as Kilbane. IMO a centre half has to deal with that, but given his inexperience, and Kilbane's wealth of experience, I guess 80/20 isn't too far off (again I'd have been more generous to Kilbane)

Den Perry
09/06/2009, 1:18 PM
Sorry didn't mean to write "as culpable". I wanted to say that St ledger as at fault, as well as Kilbane. IMO a centre half has to deal with that, but given his inexperience, and Kilbane's wealth of experience, I guess 80/20 isn't too far off (again I'd have been more generous to Kilbane)

If you hear a call from a teammate you leave it

kingdom hoop
09/06/2009, 1:28 PM
If you hear a call from a teammate you leave it

I don't think that's an absolute rule though. Like if you have what seems like a perfect chance for you to score should you not go ahead, take responsibility, and just score the goal despite a call from behind you? I think that applies even more so to defending, where the main objective is to just clear the bloody thing without any messing - so if you've a chance to do that should you not just do it? And as Dodge says, especially if you're the centre-half?

Dun Laoire
09/06/2009, 3:05 PM
I don't think that's an absolute rule though. Like if you have what seems like a perfect chance for you to score should you not go ahead, take responsibility, and just score the goal despite a call from behind you? I think that applies even more so to defending, where the main objective is to just clear the bloody thing without any messing - so if you've a chance to do that should you not just do it? And as Dodge says, especially if you're the centre-half?

Absolutely 100% spot on there fella

Superhoops
09/06/2009, 3:49 PM

I think it is to Kilbane's credit that he has taken full responsibilty for the goal. It shows the honesty of the the guy which he has displayed throughout his career. It would have been easy to for him to involve St.Leger but he didn't.

What I haven't seen mentioned in any post match reports is the role if any that Shay Given played in this. Shay was best placed to read the danger and I would expect in such a situation him to shout at Kilbane to 'man on, play it' , 'make sure', 'Sean's (StL's) ball' or 'keepers ball'. Maybe he did, but just have seen anything about it as I have just got back today.