PDA

View Full Version : Mark O'Brein

Iorfa2MaccaJim
06/06/2009, 1:17 PM
Does anyone have any news on Mark O'Brien after his bad injury last night.

Hope he gets well soon.

Theskinloyal
06/06/2009, 1:33 PM
Was knocked out cold and was bleeding from his eye and lip after colliding with a Waterford player about 3 seconds into the game last night. Last I heard he was concious and spent the night in hospital as a precaution.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
06/06/2009, 3:37 PM
Yeah I know, I was at the game. I hope he's ok.

GlasnevinRed
06/06/2009, 6:08 PM
http://vimeo.com/5031307

Footage of the incident plus interviews with Keely, McGill and Larry Byrne (Physio) after the match.

He was concussed and spent the night in the hospital. No damage to his neck or back thankfully.

blue til i die
06/06/2009, 6:28 PM
As far as i'm concerned, anyone who says he meant that is a complete fool. Goes up, heads the ball away clearly and his body collides with O'Brien.

"In another country,he would have got jail". Keely shud go get a life for himself. The guy getting injured is bad and its good to hear thats he okay, hope he's back playing soon. .But Does Keely expect him to head the ball away and then stop mid-air? tool!!

At least Dave McGill has a bit of sense.

RĂ©iteoir
06/06/2009, 6:48 PM
I see Keeley is still a useless gob****e.

Sheridan
06/06/2009, 7:04 PM
I didn't see anything wrong with that challenge tbh. Jumped for the ball and absolutely nailed it, I doubt he could have been concentrating on anything else.

Hairy Bowsie
06/06/2009, 7:36 PM
Some people who were sitting in front of the incident said he led with his elbow.

GlasnevinRed
06/06/2009, 7:47 PM
Some people who were sitting in front of the incident said he led with his elbow.

To be honest I think he did but don't believe it was intentional. Using your arms is essential in getting a decent height on your jump.

rambler14
06/06/2009, 7:48 PM
To call that a horrific foul is an outrage.......whoever uploaded the video should be ashamed of themselves!

bellavistaman
06/06/2009, 8:02 PM
To be fair i wouldnt even call it a foul, he won the ball, very unfortunate on the lad who got injured. Whats keely on about in his interview, sent off, ****ing jail?? Assault? What??

But i think waterford should be docked 30 points for this, terrible terrbile stuff.:D

bellavistaman
06/06/2009, 8:04 PM
As for the lad who uploaded it fair play, its better than people giving opinions without seeing it like, good job for uploading it. And fair play to the shels player for bwing honest saying it wasnt a sending off.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
06/06/2009, 8:24 PM
Keely is a muppett.

GlasnevinRed
06/06/2009, 8:36 PM
To call that a horrific foul is an outrage.......whoever uploaded the video should be ashamed of themselves!

How? The lad who uploaded it records all the matches himself from the gantry and sells them on as dvd's with profits going to the club.

He uploaded it to give people a better idea of what happened and I put it here because it was a thread about said player who was badly injured.

Sheridan
06/06/2009, 8:39 PM
I was wondering about that myself. What did the uploader do wrong?? :confused:

atfconline
06/06/2009, 10:04 PM
He's talking about the description under the video.

"Video of horrific foul on Mark O'Brien 6 seconds into the match between Shelbourne and Waterford United."

jafrazer
06/06/2009, 10:28 PM

It was a horrific foul. I recorded it, so I've seen the full quality version, and in it, you can clearly see his elbow come out. Fair nuff, some players use their elbows to help them jump, but not from a running start. IMO, there was only one thing on his mind.

Schumi
06/06/2009, 11:39 PM
Looks accidental from the video but it's very far away so impossible to tell if his elbow was raised dangerously or something.

Blue Man
07/06/2009, 1:21 AM
No intention to be honest. I think Keely is wrong with what he says although I do agree it was a bad foul and a certain yellow. Fair play to Dave McGill for coming out and telling it as he saw it. Always was an honest pro and if this video says anything about the guy, it says hes a genuine lad and an honest athlete. Best wishes to Mark O'Brien although from knowing the guy, hes very stable and in no danger.

Just want to commend Mc Gill again because football in general is littered with cheats and at least this shows there are some decent players left no matter what team they play for.

rambler14
07/06/2009, 9:43 AM
He's talking about the description under the video.

"Video of horrific foul on Mark O'Brien 6 seconds into the match between Shelbourne and Waterford United."

Correct

Dazzy
07/06/2009, 11:58 AM
Didn't see much wrong in that from that angle.

Might not have happened if the player started the match in his own half, stealing a good few yards.

bellavistaman
07/06/2009, 1:30 PM
Didn't see much wrong in that from that angle.

Might not have happened if the player started the match in his own half, stealing a good few yards.

ha well spotted. Keelys comments really disapointted me here, fair point about the reffing, but he really villified the lad who tbf challenged for a header, jail like, im baffled with that one. Shels player has more sense than the shels manager, and Keely said your man has a empty head or something like that, he'd want to look closer to home if you ask me.

Still though, dock waterford points for this i say...

DRDoc
07/06/2009, 2:02 PM
True - if the player started in his own half the clash wouldnt have happened

For the waterford lad to run the distance he has, to win a ball in the air, he would have had to have eyes only for the ball - i dont think it is possible for him to have any intent to harm the player

Also- and maybe most importantly, OBrien didnt actually even challenge for the ball - he never left the ground - he just kept running - had he risen to win the ball in the air - I dont think there would have been any clash of that nature

The full back clearly won the ball also, OBrien didnt attempt to actually win it I dont think

I cant say from the video if his elbow caught him or not and i couldnt see from where i was sitting either, not trying to defend him, but for the most part players have to use their arms for leverage

From talking to a lad sitting right beside it he reckoned it was the way he fell that did most of the damage - anyone else see it?

MMVIII
07/06/2009, 2:07 PM
Nothing wrong with the tackle. Went for the ball and unforunatley caught the other player.

Hope he's fit and well soon.

peadar1987
07/06/2009, 5:54 PM
Did some poor fella break his leg in one of the games? Anyone know how he's getting on?

Raheny Red
07/06/2009, 6:15 PM
Did some poor fella break his leg in one of the games? Anyone know how he's getting on?

A Stabbers player broke his leg away to Athlone.

rambler14
08/06/2009, 3:31 PM
It was a horrific foul. I recorded it, so I've seen the full quality version, and in it, you can clearly see his elbow come out. Fair nuff, some players use their elbows to help them jump, but not from a running start. IMO, there was only one thing on his mind.

Yeah........winning the ball. Keely and yourself seem to be the only people who think it's "horrific".