PDA

View Full Version : Liam Coyle retires

Dr.Nightdub
15/01/2004, 11:18 PM
An absolute legend, the most gifted footballer I've ever seen play against Pats and the one player who would invariably make me sh1t myself when I saw him peeling off the tracksuit, dodgy knee or no dodgy knee. Not just Derry but the League will be poorer without him.

AND it ruins a perfectly good song:
"I don't know but I been told
Liam Coyle is getting old.
He was good in his day but now he's heard
That the world is ready for Tony Bird..."

Martinho II
15/01/2004, 11:21 PM
An absolute legend in his day. I have got the video of him and he scored some goals in his day. He will be much missed.
Best ever goal: the backheel goal against Bohs in the FAI cup semi final 2003 short season.

brandy86
16/01/2004, 12:20 AM
The best player ever to play in a Derry City shirt! It won't be the same watching Derry without Liam playing but he has given me some great memories! Thanks Liam!

tiktok
16/01/2004, 8:00 AM
Agree with everything written above, absolute legend and one of the few players to have graced the league who was worth the admission price alone. Best of Luck to him for his retirement...

dortie
16/01/2004, 8:22 AM
"Coyler finally calls it a day"

Derry City football clubs favorite son Liam Coyle officially retired yesterday. The 35 year old who has spent 17 years at the top level will however retain a position within his home club. Coyle has agreed to take on a new scouting role from the start of the new season. Having made almost 400 competitive appearances for the Brandywell club, the veteran striker remains Derrys top marksman having hit the net on a total of 112 occasions.

Derry Journal

Have to admit Ive a lump in my throat today.....a hero to me since I witnessed his hat-rick on his debut in 1988 when i was only 13.....since then he gave us so many memories to remember.......too many to list. A real football hero to me.

Liam Coyle ..Liam Coyle ...liam liam coyle....he gets the ball and scores a goal liam liam coyle.

patsh
16/01/2004, 8:46 AM
I am looking forward to Eamonn McCann's eulogy already!
Coyle proved that you don't have to look outside our league for gifted players.

dortie
16/01/2004, 9:09 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/3402383.stm

tiktok
16/01/2004, 12:59 PM
Liam Coyle on breakingnews.ie (http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/01/16/story129857.html)

Éanna
16/01/2004, 12:59 PM
legend. wish him all the best

Schumi
16/01/2004, 1:42 PM
Fantastic player, one of the real stars of the EL. I'll never forget the free kick he scored in Belfield to stop us getting to the cup semis. :(

dancinpants
16/01/2004, 5:56 PM
Defenders up and down this country will breath a collective sigh of relief!!!!.Only Liam Coyle could cause that to happen."The Maestro has left the Stadium" :(

brendy_éire
16/01/2004, 6:13 PM
A legend. Irreplaceable.

EireBadBoy
17/01/2004, 5:28 AM
What are ye's all on about the man was.........

Ahhhhh, Only joking! He was Roy Race in the Flesh! (without the blonde mullet!) THE Goal that won the Cup, THE Goal that saved Derry from Relegation although Alan Kelly, Ball Boys, Stewards, P.A Men, continuity IRA, Ian Paisley, George Bush, Saddam Hussein, Yasser Arafat, Salman Rushdie, Jeffrey Archer all had a hand in it too :rolleyes:

Long live the legend and hopefully we can witness one again for any Club in the EL just to keep the League alive!! How do you spell Houlihan anywho? :D

pete
20/01/2004, 3:14 PM
Over-rated.

Can't remember what he like when younger but he barely scored 100 goals in all those years. btw use excuse he a playmaker cos he had 15 years with Derry City.

MariborKev
20/01/2004, 4:10 PM
Pete- Wtf?

Good as John O'Flynn may be I have yet to hear Sven Goran Ericsson past comment on him yet:o

100 goals but what goals they were!!!!!

Every team has had a Liam Coyle cracker scored against them

Next time you are up in the Brandy- buy the videa

dortie
20/01/2004, 4:10 PM
Originally posted by pete
Over-rated.

Can't remember what he like when younger but he barely scored 100 goals in all those years. btw use excuse he a playmaker cos he had 15 years with Derry City.

:rolleyes: How long are you watching Irish football ?????
He actually scored 112 goals.

pete
20/01/2004, 4:40 PM
I heard 100 league goals in 15 seasons. Probbaly a goal every 5 games at best ain't much for any forward.

I'm not questioning whether he a Derry great but dunno if he all the way up there with league greats such as Davie Barry or Pat Morely :D

I've been watching eL foot.ie since 89/90 & would be numerous players that terrorised City more than Coyle.

MariborKev
20/01/2004, 6:10 PM
He didn't spend 15 seasons with us

Spent time with Omagh and Glentoran- as well as a break from the game when his injury was diagnosed

brandy86
21/01/2004, 12:15 AM
Lads you dont have to try and defend Liam Coyle!
Everyone knows he was a great player and is a League Of Ireland legend.
And for 'pete' to say "but dunno if he all the way up there with league greats such as Davie Barry or Pat Morely" and that hes "over-rated" is nothing but laughable! How the hell can you say that?