PDA

View Full Version : Almeida gone

Jeebus
05/06/2009, 11:26 AM
Just heard the Almeida has left the club. looks like the recent speculation/rumours were true so!!

sligofan4ever
05/06/2009, 11:35 AM
If this is true then its a pity :(. A quality player last season, but this season we dont even know if hes struggling with injury or not. He was one of our highest earners sitting out of matches alot, so I suppose that atleast eases us our wage bill a bit, but just makes our situation with substitutes worse. I hope cookie has a plan to turn this situation around, and quick!.

red bellied
05/06/2009, 11:55 AM
I hope they didnt have to pay him off because he was faking injury and refusing to play.

The Midget Gem
05/06/2009, 12:51 PM
so I suppose that atleast eases us our wage bill a bit
Depends if he walked out it means his contract will be void but if we agreed with him to let him go free might mean we pay some compensation which wouldn't obviously free up the wage bill.

It was so obvious it was coming. I watched him for about five minuted straight during one of our matches and the expression on his face including his work ethic just told its own story.

dong
05/06/2009, 2:34 PM
Ah ffs. This is terrible. What's going on at the club these days? Any chance of an official statement from somebody in the know?:mad:

Rovers fan
05/06/2009, 2:35 PM
Jeez, what a waste of money his wages for this season were:(

rovers100%
05/06/2009, 2:49 PM
thats awful news if true. the lad has played us as mugs. the club is owned by the community but again we are told nothing. i feel a fool for all the money i have donated because obviously the club feel we the fans are meaningless as we never get told anything. as for almeida i have lost all respect for him if he is gone. but i fear he will not be the only player going i have a funny feeling boco could leave too

sligofan4ever
05/06/2009, 3:07 PM
On one hand Almeida might be gone, and on the other we got the sitiuation of Paul McTiernan who we haven't seen in ages, anyone know what the situation with him is ?

dong
05/06/2009, 3:15 PM
Lads, I just rang the club to see could they confirm this. Paul Cook answered the phone and introduced himself. I asked him was the rumour true. He said it is. He's an absolute gent. He explained that they had got the best medical opinions on Almeida and that the ankle problem wasn't improving. He said that if he knew that it would take another two months to fix him up he would have kept him on,even on his high wages, but they couldn't promise that it would improve. He said that he's a top player and that if there was any way to keep him and get him fit they would have. He also said that thay were down to a threadbare squad now, which he had warned of at the start of the season but that he could guarantee the lads wouldn't be found lacking for effort tonight. I wished hime the best of luck. He sounded fairly downbeat but prepared to press on.
He's gone up a lot in my estimation after that call.
These accusations of faking are well out of order. I had my doubts, but I'll take Cook on his word now and let it lie. Huge loss to the team though.

CarrickFan
05/06/2009, 3:17 PM
Almedia was a good player for sure but if he was fecking the club around the money can be better spent on a player who WANTS to play for Sligo Rovers ...McTiernan situation is more straight foward..dont think he is good enough to play at this level...Cookie would have picked him otherwise..couldnt get a game when Parkhouse had his injury at the start of the season and Fenney got picked ahead of him up front once or twice..Dark days again for the club..will we even have a bench 2nite??

dong
05/06/2009, 3:22 PM
Almedia was a good player for sure but if he was fecking the club around the money can be better spent on a player who WANTS to play for Sligo Rovers ...McTiernan situation is more straight foward..dont think he is good enough to play at this level...Cookie would have picked him otherwise..couldnt get a game when Parkhouse had his injury at the start of the season and Fenney got picked ahead of him up front once or twice..Dark days again for the club..will we even have a bench 2nite??
Sorry mate,did you read my post? The lad WAS injured. Had nothig to do with him wanting to play. He couldn't play.

CarrickFan
05/06/2009, 3:35 PM
Sorry Dong hadnt seen ur post when i started my post so i didnt know..i had said IF he was because i didnt know anything other then what was speculated on this site...like you i would take Cookies word on the subject..shame to hear he is a little downbeat but i can only imagine its a tough job!...all the more reason to really get behind the lads 2nite.

Umberside
05/06/2009, 3:36 PM
Paul Cook answered the phone and introduced himself.

I can't believe the manager of a professional football cub would answer the phone. Another amazing attribute of Paul Cook.

avvenalaf
05/06/2009, 3:51 PM
I can't believe the manager of a professional football cub would answer the phone. Another amazing attribute of Paul Cook.

Seanie Connor did it for a full season at Birmingham City:D

Kevin L
05/06/2009, 3:54 PM
Lads, the club have issued the following Press Release which will be up on our site this evening.

"The Club wish to announce that Mauro Almeida has departed the club today by mutual consent.
Unfortunately Mauro has an injury that is likely to keep him sidelined for at least another 2/3 months. It was felt best that he returned to his own country to continue rehab there.
The club wish to acknowledge the contribution made by Mauro to our exploits last season. It is very disappointing that Mauro has only been able to start 2 games this season.
Hopefully in the upcoming transfer window, the club will be able to draft in a suitable replacement."

Boo_Boy
05/06/2009, 4:11 PM
What a loss, i was looking forward to seeing him play this season.:(

Good decision by the club though, there was no promises that the injury would get better, had to get out of the contract.

How's Chris Butler getting on?, anyone know?

Seanie Connor did it for a full season at Birmingham City:D

I knew it would be said once i read Umberside's post.

:D

Rovers1
05/06/2009, 4:52 PM
and on the other we got the sitiuation of Paul McTiernan who we haven't seen in ages, anyone know what the situation with him is ?

He's gone weeks.

rovers100%
05/06/2009, 5:01 PM
i bet almeida signs for another club within the 2 -3 months expected out with injury. i for one will be sad to see him go as himself and peers were a formidable partnership. we def need a new centre back as dont see ventre as up to the job. i can see another fund raiser on the horizon lads for new plaers. fair play to cookie for his honesty, if his players were as honest on the park we wouldnt lose again. a sad departure for the club but im still not convinced mauros heart was in the club. remember its only tue cookie said he was fit but didnt want to chance him on the firm ground in bray. 3 days later he is apparently out for 3 months. cookie prob got fed up of his sh1t. a ggod player lost but not much changes as he didnt do anything all season anyways

dong
05/06/2009, 6:01 PM
i bet almeida signs for another club within the 2 -3 months expected out with injury. i for one will be sad to see him go as himself and peers were a formidable partnership. we def need a new centre back as dont see ventre as up to the job. i can see another fund raiser on the horizon lads for new plaers. fair play to cookie for his honesty, if his players were as honest on the park we wouldnt lose again. a sad departure for the club but im still not convinced mauros heart was in the club. remember its only tue cookie said he was fit but didnt want to chance him on the firm ground in bray. 3 days later he is apparently out for 3 months. cookie prob got fed up of his sh1t. a ggod player lost but not much changes as he didnt do anything all season anyways

Mystic Meg, and a mindreader as well. I'm impressed.
Can you not take the man's word for it? Cook had nothing but good things to say about Mauro when I spoke to him.
You commend him for his honesty in one sentence, then hint at lies being told about Tuesday in the next.

The Midget Gem
05/06/2009, 6:18 PM
In fairness if there was any background to the story Cook wouldn't tell a randommer who rang up the club. You could have been a journo or anythng and Cook has to stick to the story.

How's Chris Butler getting on?, anyone know?
I was told by someone its not good news. Don't shoot the messenger.

showgies
05/06/2009, 10:20 PM

:rolleyes:

I heard he even turns on and off the lights, closes doors behind him and flushes the toilet...........A Truely Amazing Manager...:D

rovers100%
05/06/2009, 10:31 PM
@ dong, if you believe everything your told in life your in for an amazing shock. cook has been very honest over 2 seasons but he will not come out and criticise one of his players even when leaving it is simply not his style. im sure mauro is held in high regard by his teammates (i can remember raf running to mauro in stand and celebrating with him earlier this season) so cookie saying stuff wont do any good to a team already lacking confidence. i for one still do believe mauro wanted out.

prodsc
06/06/2009, 10:23 AM
Is this definately true? Website still has security issues. Saw him at the game last night, strange for someone that has left the Club, he wasn't wearing club colours though!!

Mayo Red
06/06/2009, 2:06 PM
Saw him at the game last night, strange for someone that has left the Club, he wasn't wearing club colours though!!

Wondered about that alright lastnight, all the rest of the players in the stand had club jackets on etc.

D Brannigan
06/06/2009, 7:57 PM
Is this definately true? Website still has security issues. Saw him at the game last night, strange for someone that has left the Club, he wasn't wearing club colours though!!

Yes Mauro has left the club!!!!:(

prodsc
06/06/2009, 10:58 PM
Yes Mauro has left the club!!!!:(

What did it cost?

Umberside
06/06/2009, 11:01 PM
What did it cost?

I doubt it cost anything. It was a mutual agreement I would think.

The Midget Gem
07/06/2009, 9:15 AM
I doubt it cost anything. It was a mutual agreement I would think.
Yes but those mutual agreements can mean payments to the players as well. I remember a few seasons ago we had a player called Poitr Bajiak he broke his leg 2/3 games into a one year contract. The club and him came to a mutual agreement to let him go back home to Poland (much like the Mauro situation here). We payed the polish fella between 10k -12k from what i heard. That season it cost the club 28k after coming toagreements to end players contracts including: Kevin Julian, Vasas, and i think there was a couple more but can't think of them at the minute.

rovers100%
07/06/2009, 10:41 AM
i was told he got 10k payoff and saved 30k from him leaving. at least it should free up some money for new signings in july. cant wait to see can we get some quality in.

Umberside
07/06/2009, 10:49 AM
i was told he got 10k payoff and saved 30k from him leaving. at least it should free up some money for new signings in july. cant wait to see can we get some quality in.

Ye deserve quality and no doubt Paul Cook will come up trumps. Maybe if some of the youth players were brought in would that make things better?

Rovers1
07/06/2009, 1:20 PM
Maybe if some of the youth players were brought in would that make things better?

:o there are none...

MMVIII
07/06/2009, 1:57 PM
:o there are none...

There are some. Just the majority of the a team aren't good enough for the first team.

With the exceptions of the likes of Eoin Torpey and Danny Keohane.

sligofan4ever
07/06/2009, 2:20 PM
What about John Bellew, isnt he still with Rovers as an 'A' Team player ?

Rovers fan
07/06/2009, 2:56 PM
What about John Bellew, isnt he still with Rovers as an 'A' Team player ?

Not good enough.

sligoman
07/06/2009, 8:58 PM
What about John Bellew, isnt he still with Rovers as an 'A' Team player ?No...

Rovers1
07/06/2009, 9:20 PM
There are some. Just the majority of the a team aren't good enough for the first team.

With the exceptions of the likes of Eoin Torpey and Danny Keohane.

Ya, sorry that's what i meant. There's none there good enough, except the mentioned 2.

sligoman
07/06/2009, 9:24 PM
Ya, sorry that's what i meant. There's none there good enough, except the mentioned 2.Have you been to many 'A' games?

Rovers1
07/06/2009, 9:27 PM
Have you been to many 'A' games?

No, none. Not since last year. I'm sure you have?

sligo23
08/06/2009, 6:37 PM
This town/county is full of talented young players that would be good enough, but Rovers just don't have any scouts at any of the game at u18 and junior level so they remain undiscovered. I don't think we can afford a good youth system at the moment tho:(

Real Rover
08/06/2009, 9:52 PM
This town/county is full of talented young players that would be good enough, but Rovers just don't have any scouts at any of the game at u18 and junior level so they remain undiscovered.

From what I've seen in the local league John Maughan from Boyle would be the best addition.

Umberside
08/06/2009, 10:00 PM
From what I've seen in the local league John Maughan from Boyle would be the best addition.

Yes and if he was signed by Sligo Rovers he wouldn't cost them as much as say Almeida.

Only1Rovers
09/06/2009, 9:48 AM
He explained that they had got the best medical opinions on Almeida and that the ankle problem wasn't improving. He said that if he knew that it would take another two months to fix him up he would have kept him on,even on his high wages, but they couldn't promise that it would improve.

Lads, the club have issued the following Press Release which will be up on our site this evening.

"The Club wish to announce that Mauro Almeida has departed the club today by mutual consent.
Unfortunately Mauro has an injury that is likely to keep him sidelined for at least another 2/3 months. It was felt best that he returned to his own country to continue rehab there."

There is a contradiction here... at this stage it's probebly not worth worrying about.

Guts&Glory
09/06/2009, 12:18 PM
There is a contradiction here... at this stage it's probebly not worth worrying about.

Know what you mean Only1Rovers....I was thinking on another thing of how does this compare to the Chris Butler situation given Rovers knew he was going to be out long term following his accident.

I was thinking initially it must be a length of contract thing but I presume both are/were out of contract at the end of this season anyway so why two different standpoints by the Club ?

Anyone shed any light.

dong
09/06/2009, 12:30 PM
FFS lads. There is no contradiction. Cook said if he knew it would take two months he would have kept him on.
The club statement said it could take two/three months "at least".

Only1Rovers
09/06/2009, 12:43 PM
FFS lads. There is no contradiction. Cook said if he knew it would take two months he would have kept him on.
The club statement said it could take two/three months "at least".

I'm sorry for upsetting you dong2008 ....

I konw Cook would never lie to you.... :(

dong
09/06/2009, 1:43 PM

I'm sorry for upsetting you dong2008 ....

I konw Cook would never lie to you.... :(

I'd be more upset if I was you given that you can't spell some simple words.......:D