PDA

View Full Version : bizarre football match

the scout
14/01/2004, 6:38 PM
does anybody remember a match from about 10 years ago played in africa or south america i think.it was a local match with only a few minutes to go and no score when both teams became aware of a shock result in another match in the same group whitch had changed the whole competion around.

it was suddenly in the home teams interest to lose the match (im not sure but i think it meant playing an easier team next)but the last few mins had the home team trying to score on themselves and the away team aware of what was going on ,trying to stop them.

i can just vaguely remember seeing it on tv.

liam88
14/01/2004, 9:16 PM
Sounds hilarious! :D
I remember reading something about the biggest ever scoreline-a manager got stressed a a referees (obviously very controversial) decision, for a Red card I think or mabye a goal.
Anyway he shouted at his team to boot the ball into their own net and the other team just stood watching in complete awe as the scoreline went 10-0, 11-0, 12-0 hehe.
My friend (in England) also recently told me about a match between AFC Wimbledon and Guildford and Godalming.
9 players, both managers and a chairman (who ran onto the pitch at the referee) were all sent off!
One of the crowd shouted "why don't you send us all off" before the ref. waved a Red Card at the crowd and continued play!;)

the scout
15/01/2004, 8:39 AM
Originally posted by davros
Was something like Barbados v.Grenada?in some nonentity local competition?
not 100 per cent sure.i think it was shown on one of those weekly round up type programmes.it was absolutely unbelievable tv ,the scramble for the ball was like an under 7 football match:D :D

gspain
15/01/2004, 9:25 AM
It's true - from Snopes.com

The incident took place during a final group match between Barbados and Grenada for the Shell Caribbean Cup in February 1994. The Barbados team had to win the match by at least two goals in order to face Trinidad and Tobago in the finals; anything less and Grenada advanced to the next round instead. The rules in effect at the time specified that if the score were tied at the end of regulation play, the match would continue into sudden-death overtime (not a penalty kicks round, as stated above), and the first team to score during the overtime period would be considered a two-goal winner.

As detailed above, Barbados was leading 2-0 well into the second half of play, when Grenada finally managed to score a goal in the 83rd minute to make the score 2-1. Barbados realized with three minutes to play that they were unlikely to score again in the time remaining and deliberately kicked the ball into their own goal to tie the match at 2-2 and force an overtime period. Grenada then attempted to score on their own goal to prevent the match from going into overtime, but Barbados had already started defending Grenada's goal to prevent them from succeeding. The two teams then spent the remaining few minutes with Barbados defending both ends of the field as Grenada tried to put the ball into either goal, but time expired with the score still tied. Four minutes into overtime play, Barbados scored and advanced to the finals.

the scout
15/01/2004, 9:34 AM
great answer/ thanks:i knew i wasnt dreaming it up, just wonder did anyone else see the footage from the match

Shed End John
15/01/2004, 1:11 PM
Originally posted by the scout
does anybody remember

Mexico v Italy in the 2002 World Cup. Game was level at 1-1, mexico giving it loads 'cause they'd never beaten Italy. Next thing, both teams fund out Ecuador were 1-0 up on Croatia. That and a draw suited Mexico and Italy erfectly. Mexico then started assing the ball amongst themselves in their own half, without a single Italian effort to regain posessin. Total fix. Was I happy or what when the Koreans knocked Italy out in the 2nd round??:D

pineapple stu
15/01/2004, 4:48 PM
Sure wasn't Ireland v. Holland in Italia '90 very similar too?!

gustavo
15/01/2004, 6:19 PM
ruud gullit and mick mccarthy agreed with 10 mins to go that a draw would be the best outcome to suit both teams

Shed End John
16/01/2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
ruud gullit and mick mccarthy agreed with 10 mins to go that a draw would be the best outcome to suit both teams

I seriously doubt whether any such agreement was made. Holland went on to draw tournament favourites Germany and lost, we won an admittedly hard fought, but, ultimately easier tie against Romania. Had Holland won, the situation could have been reversed.
Speaking of fixes, what about AC Milan v Brescia on the last day of the 1993/94 Italian Championship, or City v Limerick in 1992/93.

Ozymandias
16/01/2004, 12:35 PM
Germany v Austria in the world cup

A one nil win for austria would have put both them and germany through....they duly obliged ...After the goal was scored the ball wasn't passed more than 5 yards..disgraceful....I think it stopped some african or asian team qualifying to the next round for the first time

Also Argentina in 78 beating peru by 7 or 8 goals to qualify....hmmmm

Jimmy greaves is right..its a funny ole game

pineapple stu
16/01/2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Ozymandias
Also Argentina in 78 beating peru by 7 or 8 goals to qualify....hmmmm

6-0 - and Peru had an Argentine in nets!

Algeria got done by Austria and West Germany in '78. Just in case that was annoying you!