PDA

View Full Version : Kerley offered 2 years

gael353
14/01/2004, 2:11 PM
Reported in last night echo and Leader that Mick Kerley has been offered a 2 year contract. We are also to be playing on Saturday afternoons.

LFC in Exile
14/01/2004, 3:37 PM
Originally posted by gael353
Reported in last night echo and Leader that Mick Kerley has been offered a 2 year contract.

I thought you didn't rely on the Leader. Or is that only a selective thing. :)

We are also to be playing on Saturday afternoons.

Brilliant news. And a great idea. All eL games should be played on Saturday afternoons.

gael353
14/01/2004, 7:43 PM
I didnt say i belived them i just said what they wrote. Although i would be more inclined to belive this one as O'Shaugnassy didnt write it. It was word for word of what the wrote in the echo too. Agree with you bout Sat football though, prob taken to avoid the LDMC games but we're up against the bar stoole gang of fans now...we should win hands down!

LFC in Exile
15/01/2004, 11:30 AM
but we're up against the bar stoole gang of fans now...we should win hands down!

Not really and that is my big argument for Saturday afternoon football. Saturday afternoon is the one time that Sky can't show a game because all the others kick off at that time. And sure they can bring their radios in to the Pike with them if they want.

It also means that we will have the same day for matches throughout the season, instead of starting on Sundays, going to Sundays and then back to Thursdays like last year. Great news. Hope it's true.

JohnD
15/01/2004, 11:32 AM
Hate to rain on anyone's Parade here but RTE have secured rights to Premiership games on Sat Afternoons from next season on ie August...Now is it such a good idea ????

Friday night football IS the only way to go

John

sadloserkid
15/01/2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by JohnD
Hate to rain on anyone's Parade here but RTE have secured rights to Premiership games on Sat Afternoons from next season on ie August...Now is it such a good idea ????

True John but I got the impression that Sky will be holding onto the big games themselves and RTE will be left holding onto Villa Vs Leicester and such like so maybe it won't be such a big deal.

pineapple stu
15/01/2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
True John but I got the impression that Sky will be holding onto the big games themselves and RTE will be left holding onto Villa Vs Leicester and such like so maybe it won't be such a big deal.

Villa v. Leicester or Limerick v. UCD - which will the barstoolers go for?

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Saturday afternoons though - certainly handier for away fans than Friday nights.

sadloserkid
15/01/2004, 12:35 PM
I think it's pretty significant to be honest if RTE end up showing mid/lower table games rather than big clubs. It'll make a difference to our fan base definately. I think you're going to find the First Division a strange experience though. :eek:

pineapple stu
15/01/2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
I think you're going to find the First Division a strange experience though. :eek:

Not for long hopefully! :D

Looking forward to not struggling for a change touch wood touch wood!:eek: :D

balls
15/01/2004, 1:52 PM
hey no need to slag villa there my second favourate team behind limerick. there a great side

JohnD
15/01/2004, 1:55 PM
Some News:

Mike still has not signed but may do so tonight.

We are also keeping the same strips this year from what I can gather.We are in the last year of the Charlotte quay deal supposedly.

Full Time commercial manager looking very likely..Who could that be I wonder ???

;)

LFC in Exile
15/01/2004, 3:11 PM
Originally posted by JohnD
Some News:

Mike still has not signed but may do so tonight.

We are also keeping the same strips this year from what I can gather.We are in the last year of the Charlotte quay deal supposedly.

Full Time commercial manager looking very likely..Who could that be I wonder ???

;)

Jes us wept. If I read you properly we will keep the same jersies because the sponsors are the same. But why? This is a chance for money to be raised. Left CQP on the front but change the jersey. Christ, it's come to some stage where fans have to point out that they should be fleeced.

Will this full-time job be advertised?

sadloserkid
15/01/2004, 3:23 PM
Originally posted by balls
hey no need to slag villa there my second favourate team behind limerick. there a great side

They're also my favourite English side balls. There's no denying that they've been dull to watch for the last few years though!

Originally posted by LFC In Exile
Will this full-time job be advertised?

It really, really should be but I'd imagine that the club will try and keep it for an insider... :rolleyes:

They should be looking at somebody with a background in finance anyway. With all the job cuts being mooted in UCC this might be a more stable option for you! ;)

maineman
15/01/2004, 9:47 PM
English premiership games are also broadcast in pubs around town of a saturday on foreign satellite no matter what day they choose its a no win situation.

gspain
16/01/2004, 8:12 AM
Are we the only fans in the world where we want the club to change the strip/rip off the fans etc???? And they are one of the few that don't.

sadloserkid
16/01/2004, 12:00 PM
A committee member told me last night that he thought Mike Kerley had signed? Any confirmation? This guy wasn't one of the 'gang of three' so I don't think he was 100% sure himself.

gael353
16/01/2004, 2:53 PM
This will be the third season now with the same jersey, i would welcome a change also. Dont get me wrong the jersey we have is nice but such things as lycra and other modern fabric jerseys just seem to pass on by the eircom league. Id welcome the change anyway, we could see 200 plus. Remember the only reason we wear JAKO is because there dutch the same as our sponsor charlotte quey insisted, yet JAKO made a balls of the green jersey and again made a balls of the crest in the white one. Are we ever going to get a new crest by the way? we only asked for it 3 years ago and it was to be "looked at" i dont know but if i looked at it for two seconds not to mind three years id puke!
So to conclude on Jako....One good job of jerseys out of three is bad...

4tothefloor
16/01/2004, 4:07 PM
I've said before that the club should be looking at addidas/umbro/nike to supply the kit as its easier to market these brands and they produce nicer gear anyway. If some LDMC clubs can get the above as kit suppliers, surely Limerick can. These brands would be way more attractive to fans and the jerseys would also still be cheaper than those of english clubs.

As you said gael353 they have a good excuse to part with JAKO and they should take advantage of it. Blue&White home, Green&White away, if they looked good they'd sell well. Limerick people will buy anything remotely to do with Limerick.

BlueNBeautiful
16/01/2004, 6:01 PM
.... along with John D, always advocated friday nights. biggest crowds in the rathbane days were friday nights!$

gael353
16/01/2004, 6:25 PM
Thank you "4" for staiting what everybody in Ireland knows. That if you have an attractive GREEN jersey its a merchandising dream. When i first mentioned this two years ago some of the cork city lads read my posts recommended it to their board and guess what? yes cork city now wear a green jersey so ppl have a choce of going to an ireland match in a green jersey or an eircom jersey. There was only one objector to our green jersey and that was a Clareman! :D But also Jako made a balls of it, with a blue crest on a green made in Tashkent jersey, and as the saying goes blue and green should ne'v be seen!
Im my Limerick team id have three jerseys 1st a blue home, then a green away and finally a blue and yellow hooped jersey to appeal to our Tipperary and Clare cousins (similar to Parmas). Our logo would be "Limerick Football Club, Simply the best, the pride of the mid-west!"
ITS THAT SIMPLE!:cool:

JohnD
17/01/2004, 11:52 AM
I will have you know Gael that the quality of manufacturing in Tashkent is second to none !!!

4tothefloor
19/01/2004, 2:25 PM
Children probably died making those jerseys

sadloserkid
19/01/2004, 2:37 PM
Lads, I honestly think you're mad. Aside from the green jersey (which is awful looking) there's nothing wrong with the current pair. So what if they're not nike? The current nike model espoused by Man Yoo amongst others is really dodgy looking with that daft stripe across the back. Cork City's jersey sales weren't held back by Coq De Sportif either (though O'Neills may be a bridge too far...)

I like our blue and white jersies. Gael's problem with the crest is a valid one but I suspect that's not Jako's fault either, if they were given proper direction on how the shirt should look that could easily be avoided.

gael353
20/01/2004, 11:50 AM
True there is little wrong with the white jersey except the fact that the crest is white too. "white on white"????? the only good thing bout that was that u couldnt see our motto :) so for the green jersey the main problem was out blue crest, right? and for the white jersey the main problem is our white crest.???? emmmm whats in common here.......ahhhhh the crest now i get it ;)

LFC in Exile
20/01/2004, 12:03 PM
Lads, ye have little to be bothering ye. I couldn't care less if the jersey was made in Tashkent, Sligo, Dublin or even Cobh.

The fact that the jersey was made by Jako is irrelevant. They all sold out. We would have sold more if they were available.

And the crest with all due respect is irrelevant as well.

From a commercial persective there should be a new jersey in order to raise cash by selling a new jersey to loyal fans who already have the current one. The green one was cack, they messed it up Gael, you'll just have to move on. At least you can comfort yourself with the fact that you were responsibe for Cork City's new colours. :)

What is at issue here is the ability of the club to run itself commercially or not. Don't get sidetracked by whether the Swoosh or the three stripes are on the jersies.

gael353
20/01/2004, 12:12 PM
Point taken LFC but i was just harping on bout irrelivent things at the mo find it hard to type bout our club, with no manager, no players, no pitch, no orginisation. ahh it depresses me

Macy
20/01/2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 4tothefloor
Children probably died making those jerseys
And you want to do to nike??? :rolleyes:

4tothefloor
20/01/2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Macy
And you want to do to nike??? :rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic.........:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:...There - you obviously need pictures to accompany the text in order to gain an understanding. In future i'll illustrate all of my posts. Silly me......:rolleyes:

What is at issue here is the ability of the club to run itself commercially or not. Don't get sidetracked by whether the Swoosh or the three stripes are on the jersies.

These are the very things that determine a football clubs ability to run itself commercially- being able to make money. Its all about sponsorship and putting bums on seats, so to speak. And the ability to attract these things in turn is affected by a clubs image and reputation. I know the club has more pressing problems but this is something that isn't irrelevant. Limerick FC's main problem afterall is that it doesn't have much of a profile in the county and therefore has trouble attracting fans.