PDA

View Full Version : Right whos going to Wexford for the cup match???

Pages : [1] 2

Salmon Coloured
02/06/2009, 7:16 AM
OK all aboard folks, anyone on for making a weekend or maybe a night of it down in the Model county for the Cup match? We had a blast there a couple of months ago. All welcome!!!!
I believe im getting an order of Teak & bunting in for the game. If ye need any nows the time to ask.

Keen2win
02/06/2009, 9:14 AM
It's on Sunday 14th at 3pm!

http://www.ltfc.ie/news/article/?id=69d55906-5966-4c7e-803e-261abddbd817

Martinho II
02/06/2009, 2:57 PM
me and sorbo the greek should be heading down too.. youths would have to be strong favourites but I remember last season Vinny Perth got a great two nil victory down south..

Keen2win
13/06/2009, 8:49 PM
We'l make this the match thread!

Im confident of a win or at least a draw under Cronin!

Is there many heading down?

The Optimist
14/06/2009, 9:01 AM
It's on Sunday 14th at 3pm!

http://www.ltfc.ie/news/article/?id=69d55906-5966-4c7e-803e-261abddbd817

Kick off is 6pm.

RonnieB
14/06/2009, 9:31 PM
****, Balls, **** and ****e

Longfordian
14/06/2009, 9:50 PM
As I said on the other thread we can't seem to hold a lead at all. I would have taken it beforehand but at 2-0 up with 15 minutes left you should be able to see it through. Something for Gareth Cronin to work on, at least he's seen the good and the bad in the one match and he'll have a better idea what he has to work with and work on. Wexford favourites to go through I'd say but I could see extra time.

Tallanted
15/06/2009, 12:00 AM
Dissapointin finish to game but a hell of alot more positives than negatives, the usual culprits let us down for the goals but no need to talk about that, Mccarthy and gary curran were excellent, adrian murphy was very good when he came on. Over all it was a vast improvement on what we have seen so far this season, drawing with wexford would have been a massive boost to us before the game so to bring them back to the flansiro is a positive thing. Cronin never stopped barking orders and we looked more organised than usual. It might look bad on teletext concedin so late but all in all a very positive result and performance.

Team was Fennelly, King, Gough, McCarthy, Lee, McCartney, Curran, Jinks, Russo, Lynch, Glynn.

Salmon Coloured
15/06/2009, 7:22 AM
Yeah much better all round. Really should have won in fairness, we had them beat. Finally we had some sort of shape & got some moves together, Murphy was so unlucky not to put us 3 up with the header. However we will not go far with sweets & cakes stacked in the goals. That is our number 1 priority come July.
That said I fancy we have a chance in the replay. So close.

Keen2win
15/06/2009, 9:27 AM
I wasn't happy!

However I would have taken the result at the start. Both our goals were a bit cotroversial but I think the ref made the right call. The first goal, Fennelly should have done better and dived on top of the ball and not fallen backwards. He saved the peno tho but they got the rebound:mad: Their second goal was nice!

Apparantly Cronin can already see the lazy attitude of Glynn! He went mad when he wouldn't run for a ball and shouted at Murphy to start warming up. Fair dues to Adrian, he played well and made 1 or 2 nice runs.

I think we can take them down in Flancare!

Martinho II
15/06/2009, 7:03 PM
Yeah much better all round. Really should have won in fairness, we had them beat. Finally we had some sort of shape & got some moves together, Murphy was so unlucky not to put us 3 up with the header. However we will not go far with sweets & cakes stacked in the goals. That is our number 1 priority come July.
That said I fancy we have a chance in the replay. So close.

well according to ash salmon coloured danny o leary ex athlone town kildare co sligo rovers has definitely signed for us so fennellys days could be finished in the first team .Fennelly wasnt training last week. Some American dude of a goalie has being training with us the last few weeks.

Town Legend
15/06/2009, 9:22 PM
well according to ash salmon coloured danny o leary ex athlone town kildare co sligo rovers has definitely signed for us so fennellys days could be finished in the first team .Fennelly wasnt training last week. Some American dude of a goalie has being training with us the last few weeks.

That American keeper isn't Konopka is it? Was his problem a working visa that prevented him from signing? Maybe he got it sorted.

And whats the story with these 6'o clock kick offs? Read elsewhere the flood lights are on the blank!! Things have gotten real bad so if they can't afford to fix them.

Tallanted
15/06/2009, 9:24 PM
Id imagine it isnt feasible to fix them for the sake of 20 minutes football with the bright evenings at a high cost, it seems easier to have an earlier kick off, the american keeper isnt konopka its some young lad that played college football over there

RonnieB
15/06/2009, 9:29 PM
There will be **** all there for a 6pm kick off then again there would have been **** all for a 7:30 or 7:45. Lets hope there are none of the massive dark thunderstorms still hanging around or we will have to give miners helmets to the players..

L.T.F.C.
15/06/2009, 10:15 PM
That American keeper isn't Konopka is it? Was his problem a working visa that prevented him from signing?
i think his problem was that he was looking for outrageous money... the Visa saga was convenient.

Martinho II
16/06/2009, 6:42 PM
That American keeper isn't Konopka is it? Was his problem a working visa that prevented him from signing? Maybe he got it sorted.

And whats the story with these 6'o clock kick offs? Read elsewhere the flood lights are on the blank!! Things have gotten real bad so if they can't afford to fix them.

I suppose the club have no choice but to have an earlier kickoff if the floodlights arent fully operating. At least a fine wouldnt be in order. My first thought when it was a six o clock kickoff was that I thought it was gamesmanship after youths having their kickoff at six. But the floodlights are the reason for the kickoff earlier than normal.

Tallanted
16/06/2009, 6:44 PM
Could be a long night too, i reckon we might see extra time

Keen2win
16/06/2009, 9:10 PM
You predict another 2-2 draw?

Tallanted
16/06/2009, 9:55 PM
Gonna predict 2 1 to us aet

Keen2win
17/06/2009, 10:51 AM
Does it not only go into extra time if it finishes 2-2 in normal time? Away goal rule? Or is it different in the FAI cup?

Tallanted
17/06/2009, 11:17 AM
no away goals rule in cup

Sunny Jim
17/06/2009, 11:37 AM
Any danger of the game being postponed?

adamski8
17/06/2009, 11:42 AM
this is a ridiculous kick off time for mid week, was looking forward to going to see it tonight but now i wont be able to make it, why cant they fix the floodlights????? they are gonna have to do it eventually!

Tallanted
17/06/2009, 12:47 PM
doubt it

Martinho II
17/06/2009, 8:07 PM
what a result for us tonight. Adrian Murphy fully justified his selection from the start. I was disappointed in the way we let in our first goal but what a lovely cross for Gary Curran to score. It went to extra time after a drab second half.

Derek Glynn scored a superb goal from a Gary Curran through ball which had lovely weight on it. Then in the last period of extra time we made three one which was an og. But we stupidly gave away a peno when unbeliveably for the second game in a row Anthony Fennelly saved and Wexford scored from the rebound.

Gary Curran deservedly got man of the match. Why he never started all season I never know. Our season is slowly turning thats four games unbeaten for us . Two under Philip Coffey and two under Gareth.The difference in confidence in the lads is staggering.

De Town
17/06/2009, 9:13 PM
Fantastic performance from every man. Special praise to Curran, Russo and Murph who were all excellent. Absolutely delighted with the win. Cronin seems to have the players all playing for each other, even Glynn worked relatively hard when he came on, great finish for his goal as well. Things are looking up! :)

Pauro 76
17/06/2009, 9:21 PM
Well done lads! :)

L.T.F.C.
17/06/2009, 9:22 PM
what a result for us tonight. Adrian Murphy fully justified his selection from the start. I was disappointed in the way we let in our first goal but what a lovely cross for Gary Curran to score. It went to extra time after a drab second half.

Derek Glynn scored a superb goal from a Gary Curran through ball which had lovely weight on it. Then in the last period of extra time we made three one which was an og. But we stupidly gave away a peno when unbeliveably for the second game in a row Anthony Fennelly saved and Wexford scored from the rebound.

Gary Curran deservedly got man of the match. Why he never started all season I never know. Our season is slowly turning thats four games unbeaten for us . Two under Philip Coffey and two under Gareth.The difference in confidence in the lads is staggering.

Adrian murphy played crap. Russo didn't play well either. gave the ball away like it was going out of fashion.

De Town
17/06/2009, 9:41 PM
Adrian murphy played crap. Russo didn't play well either. gave the ball away like it was going out of fashion.

Without doubt Russo's best performance in a Town shirt in my opinion. Murph ran himself into the ground, created our first goal with a great turn on the by line, and generally played very well.

RonnieB
17/06/2009, 10:20 PM
A great day. Got tickets for Faith No More and then a win in the cup. Happy times for a change!

Ash
17/06/2009, 11:09 PM
I reckon Longford could save on the wage bill by only fielding 9 players in games. No need to 2 centre mids as they dont seem to be required for the team tactics!

howsyourtouch
17/06/2009, 11:27 PM
I reckon Longford could save on the wage bill by only fielding 9 players in games. No need to 2 centre mids as they dont seem to be required for the team tactics!

yeah its great when you see all the action from the wingers running at the full backs,isnt it?! ;)

Ash
18/06/2009, 7:05 AM
yeah its great when you see all the action from the wingers running at the full backs,isnt it?! ;)

More like see the wingers try to sprint like Usain Bold to get to the long ball!
Jayo did very well for ye last night, thought Curran was very solid. Caz and
Jinksy looked like they were only there to make up the 11.

See 2 lads with MNS jackets in the stand!

Pauro 76
18/06/2009, 7:32 AM
More like see the wingers try to sprint like Usain Bold to get to the long ball!
Jayo did very well for ye last night, thought Curran was very solid. Caz and
Jinksy looked like they were only there to make up the 11.

See 2 lads with MNS jackets in the stand!

Were there cameras at the game?Would'nt mind an old mention in Con Murphy's excellent RTE Blog.

Ash
18/06/2009, 8:17 AM
Were there cameras at the game?Would'nt mind an old mention in Con Murphy's excellent RTE Blog.

Dont think there were cameras there, 2 lads weer just sitting in the main stand.

Tallanted
18/06/2009, 9:31 AM
Carmine Russo was official fai man of the match

adamski8
18/06/2009, 9:33 AM
were the floodlights not nessecary for the extratime last night?

Ash
18/06/2009, 9:46 AM
Carmine Russo was official fai man of the match

I thought they gave it to Gary Curran?

Tallanted
18/06/2009, 9:58 AM
ye he did apparently. My bad

Macy
18/06/2009, 10:00 AM
I wasn't there, but I would've thought it was over long before floodlights would've been necessary.

sorbothegreek
18/06/2009, 10:16 AM
My 2 cents for what it's worth is that Tom King was head & sholders clear as our best player last night. During the first half he was our main attacking outlet and i lost count of the number of times he got back to dispossess his man and bring the ball out of defence.

Curren next best after Tom..

Cabs88
18/06/2009, 10:36 AM
very impressed with the performance last night, and delighted with the result.
Agreed that Tom King played very well last night, their left winger wasnt up to much, but King still got forward and covered whenever he was required.
Murphy played very well, looked sharp, honest, and full of running. Very impressed with him and Lynch up front. I still think Glynn has to play though, he is a class act in front of goal, he showed that last night. He might not put in the work, but thats not a goalscorers job, when the right service is given to him he is lethal.
Very impressed with Curran in the middle, got about the park well, never shyed from the tackle and broke well for the goal.

A word on cronin, and its a bit early but im impressed with what ive seen. Goes about things well, always instructing, and encouraging which is important for the younger lads. Seems to have genuine ambitions for the club and good luck to him.

Ash
18/06/2009, 10:38 AM
Heres my pics from Athlone Town B -v- Wexford Youths

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleycahill/sets/72157619819819639/

Youths4Ever
18/06/2009, 3:15 PM

no got away with it just about heavy shower near the end of game and it got a little darker and some lights came on but once shower stopped it was grand again.

on a serious note how are the club getting away with not getting them fixed? (on a licensing front) also have all teams agreed to a change of kick off times as both teams must agree for a fixture to be changed?

Neither team played great football and Longford deserved to win. Wexford instited on playing high balls up front where Longford number 5 and his height advantage cleared up everything no lesson learned from Sunday hopefully by Saturday will have learnt. when we did run at defence caused one or two problems.

Longford showed greater spirit in fighting back and looked a lot more up for the match (maybe Croinin comments in local press had an effect) than the wexford players I think the Fingal result has effected confidence of the wexford players

Martinho II
18/06/2009, 4:20 PM
I thought they gave it to Gary Curran?

there was a mistake over the tannoys with the man of the match announcement hence the confusion!

Martinho II
18/06/2009, 4:24 PM
Heres my pics from Athlone Town B -v- Wexford Youths

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleycahill/sets/72157619819819639/

some good photos there ash! am I seeing things but has our club crest being moved?

Tallanted
18/06/2009, 4:31 PM
its centre of jersey now. Looks alot better

Martinho II
18/06/2009, 5:16 PM
the jersey looks way better for it. surprised that I didnt spot that change last night. It must have bein ash's flashes from his camera that did that!:eek:

Pauro 76
18/06/2009, 9:32 PM
Have they started selling those jerseys?

Tallanted
18/06/2009, 9:42 PM
nope not lookin likely either